Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Negative_G wrote: »
    That utd performance was the worst that I've seen in a long, long time and there was been some bad ones since Ferguson left.

Sanchez was anonymous tonight.

Sanchez is an awful signing. Has taken the place of another player and offered nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

irishfeen wrote: »
    This defeat lies at the feet of the manager, Jose absolutely fcuked us over with his team selection ... :( I cannot believe we played like that in the last 16 of the CL.

Pathetic!! Fcuking pathetic :(:(

Do you not think the players have a lot to do with this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

irishman86 wrote: »
    I love how this is somehow Pogbas fault

I don't recall one single poster saying it was his fault, cut your bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Calling for Mourinho's head is absolute muppetry. Fans are so results driven and knee jerk these days. Have a think about it and look at how far we have come under him. Then point a manager out that will take us to the next level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Alexis Sanchez is lucky he didn't go to City because he isn't good enough to make their bench on his performances since he has joined.

Disgraceful display by him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pochetinno. Look at how Spurs play against Juve compared to us against Seville. Chalk and cheese. They were the better team over their two legs as well. We weren't, at any point.

I like Poch. I just don't believe he'd come to us tbh. We'd be a sideways move at the moment. He'd get some money but have to start from scratch as opposed to having "his" Spurs team. I just don't believe he leaves Spurs unless it's for one of the utter super teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

We'd have been better off with Rooney tonight and over the last couple of months.

Seriously Colleen will ya let the Rooney stuff go, we would not have been better off with a player who can't even get into that Everton side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Goodnight Irene that was a rough watch see yiz on the other side aka Brighton on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Something seriously fu*ked up there,after last Saturdays win the team should be bouncing with confidence but thats the most lifeless performance Ive ever seen by a Utd team in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Mourinho ;(:(:(:(:(:(:( a bang average Seville team that should and could have won 2 nil in Spain . Our " tactics" for the want of a better word over the 2 legs were what you expect from Dundalk or Cork City just hoping to draw away and to catch a break and sneak a win in home leg. Fuvking furious with these dinosaur tactics :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

martyos121 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here, coming in peace of course.

What happened there? Ye had plenty of firepower to do away with Sevilla but just sat back and invited defeat. To go from such a solid performance against us on Saturday to....well, that....it genuinely surprised me.

100% on the manager. Our performance against ye on Saturday wasn't as solid as many like to believe.

• irishman86 wrote: »

I don't think it is. He's been extremely poor of late though.

Jose got it all wrong tonight. I questioned the erratic selection before the game.

Ive said this before that he still doesn't know what his best team is.

He went experimental during one of the biggest games of the season.

Playing Rashford in a totally opposite position to where he pretty much created havoc at the weekend.

Dropping Mctominey off the back of a brilliant performance

Playing a 2 man midfield at home yet again.

Sanchez didn't deserve to start off his recent performances.

So many ****ing poor decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sorry but no, the defence DOES need rebuilding, badly. Three of the back four were there under Fergie.

The midfield is also a bit of a bomb site too.

There absolutely is a rebuild needed there.

Mind, that doesn't explain our issue scoring goals, although Rashford was back to his worst and Sanchez isn't offering the assists needed.

So new signings for sure, but rebuilding is too strong. The squad that they have is more than enough. Every team is 'utility' players. Very few teams have top 11 players.

It is solely because Jose is not getting them to play together. Said it earlier, this is the part of the season where the team should be firing on all cylinders, it is almost like pre-season the way they play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The manager takes plenty of blame, sure. To excuse the **** the players have served up by blaming yet another manager is hardly the way to go.

I'm gonna sign off for the night as nothing constructive will come surely.

Gutless performance, deserved to go out. Why the lack of intensity? Why the lack of being able to pass a ball or deal with a team applying pressure? It doesn't all come back to the manager lads and lassies.

I'm Not even surprised, this team will continue to do this while players who are not actually good enough on a consistent basis are staples of the team.

Night

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

2 midfielders playing full back let a new manager start with sorting that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

martyos121 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here, coming in peace of course.

What happened there? Ye had plenty of firepower to do away with Sevilla but just sat back and invited defeat. To go from such a solid performance against us on Saturday to....well, that....it genuinely surprised me.

Honestly mate there’s not one of us in here surprised. We vary from person to person being extremely positive to extremely negative but the one thing we agree on is that we invite disaster in every single game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

When you look at the teams of 1999 and 2008, they contained flair and passion. So many players that could change a match. Flying wingers to feed lethal strikers.

The current squad has little width and few 'game changers'. Despite big outlays on Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

irishfeen wrote: »
    This defeat lies at the feet of the manager, Jose absolutely fcuked us over with his team selection ... :( I cannot believe we played like that in the last 16 of the CL.

Pathetic!! Fcuking pathetic :(:(

The team put out there was more than capable of getting the job done. Questions need to be asked of Jose's tactics not the team selection. The danger of the away goal was massive in this game hence why we should have gone all out in the first half and wrapped it up. But nope, there was no aggression or desire to get a goal until we were fcuking 2 nil down.

First time now I'm starting to question Jose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

That was one of the worst European performances I’ve ever seen.Hopefully it'll not derail our season. We've still got some silverware too play for. I expect we'll see a reaction from them on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You just can’t turn up and play like that at this stage of CL. Simple as that.
    Could see it a mile off at half time.
    We’re nowhere near good enough to win it anyway, save us a proper embarrassing by one of the big guns :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Curious who you'd want (that's realistic) in for him. And would it be someone who'd be wanting to start the rebuilding process again?

I haven’t a clue. I aren’t even thought about it.

Yes I think we need to start rebuilding again unfortunately. Too many players have proved they aren’t good enough.

Trying to build a team around Pogba has been madness. Pointless signing him with all his deficiencies if you don’t have the players to compensate for him and really, do you want to go to the effort of compensating for him?

Not trying to single him out but he’s a metaphor really for the problems that Utd have.

It was Van Gaals levels of ambition in the two matches.

I’ve had enough and I don’t say that easily, being one of Jose’s strongest defenders.

A lot of the players are obviously a problem as it has happened over and over agin with them but Jose has over compensated for his apparent lack of trust in them.

I honestly think tonight is the beginning of the end for him. How long that takes is another question but I don’t think there is a way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

irishman86 wrote: »

Pogba has been deplorable for united on the whole.
    Zidane went to Madrid as a world record signing and was the main man in that side. Pogba is supposedly in that class and has been shocking.

Mourinho seems to not be able to get these players to gel, no sense of cohesion between them and too many stories coming out of the club of unhappy players.

Hard to keep the heads up for the remainder of the season, we could end up out of the cup if we can't beat Brighton on Saturday.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lukaku the only one who looked bothered tonight, most of the others are a disgrace

I like Poch. I just don't believe he'd come to us tbh. We'd be a sideways move at the moment. He'd get some money but have to start from scratch as opposed to having "his" Spurs team. I just don't believe he leaves Spurs unless it's for one of the utter super teams.

I agree. But in terms of our next manager, whenever Mourinho goes, he is the type of guy we should be looking at. No way would he play the way Mourinho did over those 2 legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I’m fcuking raging, imagine Ferguson going out playing like that in the last 16 of the CL at home :(

I hope the players are fcuking Jose out of it when he gives them ****e - setting up like that was a joke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Sanchez is an awful signing. Has taken the place of another player and offered nothing.

There is no doubt that Sanchez has serious potential but the whole signing stunk of being just about a big pay day.

United have invested an outrageous amount of money in the last five years. Sure they cant sustain this business model indefinitely? I know they have a serious revenue stream but it just seems to be so bad from a business perspective.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Seriously Colleen will ya let the Rooney stuff go, we would not have been better off with a player who can't even get into that Everton side

Someone else mentioned him and I was responding to them, not that I have to justify mentioning him. Regardless, I genuinely believe Rooney surrounded by these United players would be more constructive than Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Terrible performance over the two legs.

So many players consistently making poor decisions.

Rashford cant take a corner that doesnt hit the defender on the front post. Yet he keeps taking the corners.

Sanchez cuts inside ALL the time and like Mhikitaryan runs into a defender.

Lingard just did nothing all night like alot of others.

On paper this team should be destroying teams like Sevilla but week after week its disjointed performances.

The manager and staff have to take some blame. I think the constant changing of centre backs and midfield doesnt help

Lukaku yet again was immense and deserved alot better than the ****e served to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ive seen us play much much worse then we did tonight in fairness.

The main problem was for such a big important match there wasnt any bust a gut to finish the tie early and relax.

Things picked up in the second half but still Sevilla werent exactly hanging on.

Im not 100 percent happy with us playing for 0-0 s and trying to beat teams by scoring on counter attacks and defending but you can tell theres a lazy causal attitude by certain players out there constantly.

Pogba has gone totally off the wall since Sanchez came in and him well i dunno what player we bought because its not the fella who banging them in for Arsenal anyway.

I dunno you can blame Jose all day and yes he has to take the blame for some of it but you cant just beat Chelsea and Liverpool then go out to Sevilla unless theres a serious lack of effort somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bailly and Lukaku were the only two players that looked up for it. Ex-Blackburn and Stoke superstar Steven Nzonzi bossed the midfield which is an indictment of how United set up. Pogba may as well have been having a kickabout with his friends such was his laissez-faire attitude when he came on.

Valencia unfortunately shown up again at right-back, and it seemed to be a pre-ordained ploy from Sevilla to exploit his side in the first half particularly. Not fit for purpose as first choice anymore (I was never part of his fan club anyway), particularly when you considering the attacking output and general importance United's contemporaries put into their full-backs.

Jose's approach is the biggest bugbear though. Far, far too conservative, especially when he didn't have an away goal to fall back on. Worrying lack of fight as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Results v Chelsea and Liverpool forgotten now. That is how it goes I guess.

Very poor tonight, nothing changed from half time thoughts, defensively far too easy to get at and never provided any platform to go and win the game. That is the shock here, not the lack of an attack, but the lack of a defence and ability to win the ball back other than stopping or forcing a shot. Over two games.

Jose can set up a team to deal with a good side, but he needs to do an awful lot more with this side so they can go and win games against average teams.

Too much of a rise to the game against a 'big' name about this lot. De Gea, Lukaku, Bailly and Young the main players who can be relied upon to turn up. Matic maybe as well but he must be sick of having to do everything whenever Pogba appears.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I agree. But in terms of our next manager, whenever Mourinho goes, he is the type of guy we should be looking at. No way would he play the way Mourinho did over those 2 legs.

I'd agree, someone like Poch. Just not so sure who that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

xtal191 wrote: »
    Lukaku the only one who looked bothered tonight, most of the others are a disgrace

Rashford tried his heart out and Bailly is the only reason they didn't score multiple first half goals

We had a chance of a counter attack there tonight,Pogba gets the ball turns and then takes 5 or 6 touches and thats the end of that break away

Everything was done at a snails pace tonight,it was like a pre season game at times it was played at such a slow pace,

Not one player wanted to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and do something

I think Jose fully got what he deserved with that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Bailly and Lukaku were the only two players that looked up for it. Ex-Blackburn and Stoke superstar Steven Nzonzi bossed the midfield which is an indictment of how United set up. Pogba may as well have been having a kickabout with his friends such was his laissez-faire attitude when he came on.

Valencia unfortunately shown up again at right-back, and it seemed to be a pre-ordained ploy from Sevilla to exploit his side in the first half particularly. Not fit for purpose as first choice anymore (I was never part of his fan club anyway), particularly when you considering the attacking output and general importance United's contemporaries put into their full-backs.

Jose's approach is the biggest bugbear though. Far, far too conservative, especially when he didn't have an away goal to fall back on. Worrying lack of fight as well.

Ha..i was sick of hearing Nzonzi name being said by the commentators. Seemed to be everywhere on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

The lack of consistency in team selection and formation is frustrating and doesn't help with any kind of cohesion to the play in both attack and defence.

In defence, we still don't know the best central defensive partnership and we're relying on two failed wingers as our full backs.

Moving on from the defence, apart from Matic and Lukaku in midfield and attack respectively, everything else is all over the shop.

We play far too deep in general and put hardly any pressure on the opposition further up the pitch. The pressing is sporadic and piecemeal. Everything is so laboured in attack.

I expect a lot more from a Mourinho team. We're not even rally that defensively solid these days as De Gea bails us out regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Sevilla absolutely deserved to get through - far better team over the two legs.

Feel sorry for Rom. Can forgive Dave's mistake for the second as he has saved us too many times to count now, and anyway, we probably wouldn't have managed to get a second goal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Pochettino. Look at how Spurs play against Juve compared to us against Seville. Chalk and cheese. They were the better team over their two legs as well. We weren't, at any point.

Now is the time to move for him before he goes to Real.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I actually think Pogba coming on was a mistake

Agreed. He pisses around and contributes nothing. If Madrid came in and offer what we paid, I’d get rid. If he put a quarter as much effort into his game as he did his hair or social media, we’d have a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Have to agree with souness on one point. This is not man Utd. And hasn't been for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You'd have to hope we could use Sanchez as a make weight for a big signing in the summer.

Although I'd take Madrids hands off if they made an offer for Pogba. He's suited to the relaxed pace in Spain and would be good over there no doubt, he'll never do anything at United however, we need to cut our loses eventually with him. He's had a long time to settle and should be the top midfield player in the league by now, instead he's battling demons and misplacing passes in every game.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Love how it took the goal to get us going any bit. Jose deserve's every bit of a bollocking going his way for this.

Best ball that was played into the box tonight was by Lukaku to Lingard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

That result has seriously deflated my mood now for the rest of the season. Okay we've still got the FA Cup but I think we were all expecting so much more in the CL. Going out against some of the giants like Real Madrid, Barca, PSG wouldn't have been so bad but going out this early against a bloody bang average Sevilla side in the manner that we did hurts.

• Gutted lads, hard to discuss further tonight :(

But remember it's just a game at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have to agree with souness on one point. This is not man Utd. And hasn't been for a while now.
    Ferguson would not have lost that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't think it is. He's been extremely poor of late though.

Jose got it all wrong tonight. I questioned the erratic selection before the game.

Ive said this before that he still doesn't know what his best team is.

He went experimental during one of the biggest games of the season.

Playing Rashford in a totally opposite position to where he pretty much created havoc at the weekend.

Dropping Mctominey off the back of a brilliant performance

Playing a 2 man midfield at home yet again.

Sanchez didn't deserve to start off his recent performances.

So many ****ing poor decisions.

And it was obvious. I told you we would be knocked out if we didnt improve in 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

We simply cant become a revolving door for managers. Who out there is available and better than Jose?

There are not a lot of people who would handle the pressure and expectations that comes with the biggest (Financially anyway) club in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know Lukaku got us back into it but jeeez that miss from 4 yards out. Thought Seville were very well organized and they deserve a lot of credit but I think it may have highlighted our weaknesses that game. Couldn’t penetrate that defense despite all that talent and digits on transfer Cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wouldn't be surprised if tonight was the last straw for De Gea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement