Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No point in discussing it much right now but I'll use the same word that I did for the first half.

Unimaginative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The only good that has come of this is that we wont be embarrassed if we got real barca city or bayern in the quarter.

The bad, i think de gea will be gone in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    And it was obvious. I told you we would be knocked out if we didnt improve in 2nd half

And thats what matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

bangkok wrote: »
    And it was obvious. I told you we would be knocked out if we didnt improve in 2nd half

Another example of you being hounded for saying something that ultimately turns out to be very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Pochettino would be the ideal manager for united but I think Daniel Levy would rather give all of the united board a go on his wife than let Pochettino go to Old Trafford.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    No point in discussing it much right now but I'll use the same word that I did for the first half.

Unimaginative.

I prefer utter fcuking tripe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Unimaginative.

And gutless

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Strumms wrote: »
    I know Lukaku got us back into it but jeeez that miss from 4 yards out. Thought Seville were very well organized and they deserve a lot of credit but I think it may have highlighted our weaknesses that game. Couldn’t penetrate that defense despite all that talent and digits on transfer Cheques.
    #
    Anyone know if we actually practice attacking setups? Because we created nothing even though we have a shed load of attacking players on the pitch. Mourinho just doesn't seem to have a clue up front.

pjohnson wrote: »
    And thats what matters :)

No but when you are getting lol'd at for saying it when it was obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The manager takes plenty of blame, sure. To excuse the **** the players have served up by blaming yet another manager is hardly the way to go.

I'm gonna sign off for the night as nothing constructive will come surely.

Gutless performance, deserved to go out. Why the lack of intensity? Why the lack of being able to pass a ball or deal with a team applying pressure? It doesn't all come back to the manager lads and lassies.

I'm Not even surprised, this team will continue to do this while players who are not actually good enough on a consistent basis are staples of the team.

Night

It's 100% on the manager. He has three key responsibilities:-

1. Recruit and select talented players in their best positions. The club have given him what he asked for even busting the bank for Sanchez who seems to be happy to have secured his last big contract and is just going through the motions but Mourinho is playing so many players out of position or in a system which doesn't suit them e.g. Rashford on the right tonight, Fellani in instead of McTominay etc.

2. Coach the players to play his preferred style(s)/system(s) of play. I honestly have no idea what system or style Utd currently play. It chops and changes and I don't think the players know either.

3. Cultivate a true "team" mentality and motivate the players to give 100% every game. Some of the players look fully committed but some are individuals and don't seem to be buying into what's going on.

If you were marking Mourinho out of 10 in each of the above three categories what would you honestly give him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I hate to say this but deserve every bit of stick we are getting in the match thread. I'm furious at the performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sanchez is just as bad as Pogba. I assumed he was signed to be a first choice RW but instead he is stinking out the left where we had Rashford/Martial doing well for half a season alternating the role. Now he stinks it out and they are forced out of position. Awful waste of money if thats how he is going to be used.

Another example of you being hounded for saying something that ultimately turns out to be very accurate.

I think deep down everyone could see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

RIP the United way.
    Talk of rebuilding needed after all the money spent by José is f***ing laughable.
    Supported United for over 40 years, through the 26 lean years, but this is the worst performance I can remember, especially given it was over 2 legs.
    José out. Who to replace him with? I have no Idea, but I can't take any more of this negative anti football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Is the issue that there are too many 'show ponies' in the one team and not enough grafter type players.

I lost count of the amount of times Rashford lost possession and instead of winning it back did a Pogba and skipped while shaking his head. Same with Sanchez and Lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if tonight was the last straw for De Gea.

After he made that save with his legs at the end, the camera panned to him and the look in his eyes was absolute disappointment and he looked totally fed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Jose is the right man, we have progressed under his watch. Tonight wasnt great, yeah we lost , dust ourselves off and learn from it. We beat liverpool and chelsea recently dont forget. We weren't gonna win the champions league with that team, just like we didnt win it under fergie soooooo many times. This will make united stronger, Jose more determined. Have faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Ferguson would not have lost that game.

I agree and you would of been on the edge of your seat instead of hiding behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Have to agree with souness on one point. This is not man Utd. And hasn't been for a while now.

I hate the "United way" claptrap. There was the Fergie way. And since he left we have been ****e. Spent a fortune on crap, 3 different managers brought in. The only manager who has had any real success with his transfers is Mourinho. He also has us on for our highest league position since Ferguson, we've beaten all top 6 teams bar City this season.

Scrapping the manager and moving on is why we are where we are. No vision, no follow through, half realised visions and a transfer policy with no direction because a new man comes in and doesn't fancy the last batch. We need to continue on with Mourinho and continue to let him build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Pogba is a massive problem at the moment. The thing is look at how good he was early in the season so something has went wrong there weather there are issues behind the scenes i dunno but hes gotten drastically bad since Sanchez came in.

I was actually surprised to see Fellinni going off because i think he was doing a good job and his physical nature was make chances for us.

You either play Pogba from the start and build around him if hes 100 percent or dont bring him on at all because his arrival only made things worse.

I actually do think we would of scored before them if the change wasnt made.

I said similar on Saturday i taught the team played more as a unit without having to facilitate Pogba.

Hes a useless luxury player if you cant find a proper place for him in the team. Ffs even when he came on he was playing deeper then Matic yet we needed a goal.

I just dont understand a lot of whats went on at this club since Fergie left. Each manager has tried to put there claim to things but we have never looked like the dominant world beating team we where at one point and no matter who we sign manager or player its yet to look like its ever gonna start moving towards that again.

I taught Jose would of took some kind of stamp on things on but it still seems he doesnt know his best side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

After he made that save with his legs at the end, the camera panned to him and the look in his eyes was absolute disappointment and he looked totally fed up.

Wouldn't even blame him. You'd almost question his ambition if didn't go to Madrid in the summer.

Because it can only be sentiment keeping him at United at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The hope and optimism that I had that things would eventually come right has slowly been suffocated out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

In the 27 years of supporting United I don’t think I have ever been as upset with such a performance and result... I can take mediocre play, dodgy performances, unlucky last min loss, an off day, losing to City, Chelsea, Liverpool.... I even supported Moyes to the bitter end..

But lining out and performing like that in the Champions League last 16 at home against Sevilla is absolutely disgusting... I’m devastated :(

Steven nzonzi, ex blackburn and stoke says he cant believe how much time they had on the ball during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I hate to say this but deserve every bit of stick we are getting in the match thread. I'm furious at the performance

Why would you care about that? That's just strangers on the internet that support other could. Why would anyone give a fück about them??

More concerned with the lack of intensity and gelling of that team tonight.

Bailly, Young and Lukaku I feel sorry for. De Gea is probably thinking of heading back to Spain now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

MurDawg wrote: »
    We simply cant become a revolving door for managers. Who out there is available and better than Jose?

There are not a lot of people who would handle the pressure and expectations that comes with the biggest (Financially anyway) club in the world

Apparently there's some chap that plays "shexy football"

He went out in the same round of the CL.

Below us in the prem, scored less goals, conceded more and has won fck all.

He's just the man we need!

Lofty123 wrote: »
    RIP the United way.
    Talk of rebuilding needed after all the money spent by José is f***ing laughable.
    Supported United for over 40 years, through the 26 lean years, but this is the worst performance I can remember, especially given it was over 2 legs.
    José out. Who to replace him with? I have no Idea, but I can't take any more of this negative anti football.

I call bull**** or you need to jog your fùcking memory of how we played during the early fergie days and some of the big Ron games. What about Moyes or LvG? You've never seen one performance this bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Looks like SAF was right about Pogba after all, I called Pogba a tosser probably about halfway in to his first season and was balled out of it ln here. He's done nothing since then to prove me wrong, a great athlete but seriously lacking between the ears.

Mourinho being found out too with his "tactics" we only showed urgency tonight when we went 2 down...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

It's far from the only issue but I think we badly need a player in midfield to knit things together: a Scholes/ Modric type. Just somebody that can retain possession under pressure and play quick inventive passes to release the quicker attacking players we have. At the moment everything is so slow and overly deliberate in midfield.

• Advertisement

Lofty123 wrote: »
    RIP the United way.
    I mean, I can remember much worse performances under Moyes and LVG, so it seems unlikely that you haven't got loads of examples in a 40 year supporting career.

I dont agree with people saying Mourinho should go.

What we need is for him to decide on a settled first 11 with an effective formation and style of play.

This long ball shyte is just infuriating since we are always second to any knock down or loose ball

So depressing to be agreeing with Souness. Slow slow going nowhere compared to snap snap

Nalz wrote: »
    Why would you care about that? That's just strangers on the internet that support other could. Why would anyone give a fück about them??

More concerned with the lack of intensity and gelling of that team tonight.

Bailly, Young and Lukaku I feel sorry for. De Gea is probably thinking of heading back to Spain now.

I dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Utd & Mourinho get their comeuppance for two appalling performances.

Approach to both games has been pathetic and pitiful for a club of their size.

Imagine having some of them players available and playing like that, on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Mourinho with weak comparisons to Liverpool and Spurs. At least they play decent football.

• Advertisement

I don’t know how anyone thinks Bailly played well tonight. A couple of last ditch tackles apart I thought he was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I dont agree with people saying Mourinho should go.

What we need is for him to decide on a settled first 11 with an effective formation and style of play.

This long ball shyte is just infuriating since we are always second to any knock down or loose ball

How long does he need? Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Going to do everyone a massive favour and stay quiet. Will post later in the week ahead of the FA Cup

Emotions 100% won’t have be posting straight and to be fair I’d imagine after that all my thoughts will get covered off anyway in the thread.

All I will say is De Geas reaction at the end caused me nearly more concern than getting knocked out.

There was an air of “nah I’m out of this” on a couple of camera shots. Although hope it was just his reaction to the immediate events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I hate the "United way" claptrap. There was the Fergie way. And since he left we have been ****e. Spent a fortune on crap, 3 different managers brought in. The only manager who has had any real success with his transfers is Mourinho. He also has us on for our highest league position since Ferguson, we've beaten all top 6 teams bar City this season.

Scrapping the manager and moving on is why we are where we are. No vision, no follow through, half realised visions and a transfer policy with no direction because a new man comes in and doesn't fancy the last batch. We need to continue on with Mourinho and continue to let him build.

So in order to build something, you'd stick with the manager with no history of building anything long term and the most likely to need it ripped up again at the end...

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Ferguson didn't settle on one in nearly 30 years.

How long does it take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Spot on from Scholesy here imo. Watch any City game, they chase the ball down like animals and attack with unbelievable aggression and desire. Whereas we sit back, invite pressure and when the opposition lose possession we try catch them on the counter. Yes it works sometimes but we can't keep playing like that every game. We should have gone out and got the job done in the first half. Our first goal came after we were 2 nil down. That says it all really

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/973679848341241857

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Feel sick after seeing mourniho at the press conference and what he said.

Strange interview from Mourhino.

This is what worries me. 2 full seasons and he still is swapping centre backs and midfield pairings.

How can any kind of consistency be kept. Matic with McTomminay for 2 consecutive games or more and suddenly starts Fellaini

I just dont get it

TheDoc wrote: »
    Going to do everyone a massive favour and stay quiet. Will post later in the week ahead of the FA Cup

Emotions 100% won’t have be posting straight and to be fair I’d imagine after that all my thoughts will get covered off anyway in the thread.

All I will say is De Geas reaction at the end caused me nearly more concern than getting knocked out.

There was an air of “nah I’m out of this” on a couple of camera shots. Although hope it was just his reaction to the immediate events.

I wish him all the best. Why would he stay any longer.. he has done all he can with us and you only have one career.

dfx- wrote: »
    So in order to build something, you'd stick with the manager with no history of building anything long term and the most likely to need it ripped up again at the end...

That's not what I'm saying at all. :confusedsmiliething: And it is pointless talking to you about Mourinho because your opinions are solidified and not for changing. I could point to the type of club he has been at when it comes to building long term, and their manager turnover, but let's be honest with one another, you aren't going to change your opinion on him, so why bother?

Mourinho pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Totally picked up on this too, was hoping it was just me over-analysing - in fairness, you can't blame him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

We should wish him well in the advancement of his career.

dfx- wrote: »

Name a team that Jose has left in tatters both times he left Chelsea they went on to win the league the following season or 2 after, porto sold a lot of thier players after he left but one thing he is good at is building a good team squad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement