Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sirsok wrote: »
    Jose is the right man, we have progressed under his watch. Tonight wasnt great, yeah we lost , dust ourselves off and learn from it. We beat liverpool and chelsea recently dont forget. We weren't gonna win the champions league with that team, just like we didnt win it under fergie soooooo many times. This will make united stronger, Jose more determined. Have faith.

I hope so. I've hit the point where I like Jose, want him to stay and think a lot of the problems with exist if a different manager had the same team.

But I've not got the heart to fight it tonight. I'm incredibly angry by what we saw tonight.

All I'd say is anyone suggesting we sack him needs to 1) provide a few alternatives rather than lazily saying "Poch" and 2) accept the dangers that come from another change in manager and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I think he just needs to start playing in a way that our talented players actually want to play so we can actually get the most out of them. Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Rashford, Mata, Martial all in the side and we let the opposition play all the football whenever we're up against anyone half decent? Ridiculous. The only player in our squad that we are getting the best out of is de Gea. And that's not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Imo looking at it from the outside, jose has lost the dressing room.

So many good players and they all playing useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Hard to believe Moyes is the only manager in the post Fergie era to make the Champions League Quarter finals. Would have been a failure in Fergie’s time too.

adox wrote: »
    Strange interview from Mourhino.

What was said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I dont agree with people saying Mourinho should go.

What we need is for him to decide on a settled first 11 with an effective formation and style of play.

This long ball shyte is just infuriating since we are always second to any knock down or loose ball

Jose will never change. If you want something different than what he is serving then you want a manager change because he won’t change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ankles wrote: »
    Mourinho pathetic

I know it’s all just PR and we don’t know how he really feels privately but it all feeds into this perceived attitude of a lack of passion at the club.

Was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I think that defeat will hurt Jose more than anyone else .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

limnam wrote: »
    Ferguson didn't settle on one in nearly 30 years.

How long does it take?

Fergie had a settled 'spine' of a team. A centre back pairing,strong midfielders and at least one potent striker

Now its Smalling plus one of many, Matic plus someone else and Lukaku who i though was fantastic tonight.

Ferguson built around those,Mourinho cant settle on that spine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well deserved loss, changes in players needed to be a force but Jose was not going to make United a force inside two seasons. Still have to rely on a Valencia, Young has to play left back because the alternative is Shaw.

Too many players seem tainted by what has happened the last few seasons and it is too easy to rise up and play a 'big' game but are too hesitant to dominate games they are expected to.

Awful tie and up there with Bilbao, Basle, Benfica towards the end for SAF. Or Benfica and Lille going out in the group in 05/06 the year before a Semi Final aplearance and a final win the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think that defeat will hurt Jose more than anyone else .

I hope he has a sleepless night tonight, this is not Manchester United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Saying he was sitting in the same seat as Porto manger and Madrid manager when he knocked us out so tonight isn’t any different.

He can f*uck off. No longer supporting him as our manager.

What was said?

Got a snippet of it and he said things along the lines of:

No time to dwel on the game we have a game on Saturday. It’s not unusual for Utd to be knocked out. He’s come here with Madrid and knocked them out.

A nonchalant attitude in his tone and body language.

Would like to see the whole thing but I cringed watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Lofty123 wrote: »
    RIP the United way.
    Talk of rebuilding needed after all the money spent by José is f***ing laughable.
    Supported United for over 40 years, through the 26 lean years, but this is the worst performance I can remember, especially given it was over 2 legs.
    José out. Who to replace him with? I have no Idea, but I can't take any more of this negative anti football.
    I mean, I can remember much worse performances under Moyes and LVG, so it seems unlikely that you haven't got loads of examples in a 40 year supporting career.
    Really, in such a high profile game? This sort of shi*e is precisely why I don't post in this thread very often. The regular posters in here can't wait to stick to anyone they aren't chummy with. Its a thread for all supporters, and all opinions, not just yours. 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Really, in such a high profile game? This sort of shi*e is precisely why I don't post in this thread very often. The regular posters in here can't wait to stick to anyone they aren't chummy with. Its a thread for all supporters, and all opinions, not just yours. 😯

Wut? I'm not chummy with anybody or really even a regular. Relax the cacks lad

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    Hard to believe Moyes is the only manager in the post Fergie era to make the Champions League Quarter finals. Would have been a failure in Fergie’s time too.

The only one that inherited a league winning squad.

Moyes was perhaps Utds biggest decision in a generation and their biggest mistake. They’ve been pfaffing around in the dark since look8ng for a solution.

Jose finally seemed the solution, no matter what you thought of him or his style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Fergie had a settled 'spine' of a team. A centre back pairing,strong midfielders and at least one potent striker

Now its Smalling plus one of many, Matic plus someone else and Lukaku who i though was fantastic tonight.

Ferguson built around those,Mourinho cant settle on that spine

How can you have a spine when defenders keep getting bloody injured?

Midfielders getting injured. Carrick/Pogba/Herrera/Mou

Midfielders levels just dropping off like Ander/Pogba

During busy periods Fergie had no problem chopping n changing.

The problem wasn't the "style" or the personal.

The problem was the application and the attitude on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Got a real 'ah well who cares onto the next game' attitude from Jose there. Shameless stuff. Getting worried now :o

Didn't see the interview, and won't attack a personality cause I think that's just Jose's demeanour.

But **** me, the quotes read horribly. Up there with the "aspire to be City" nonsense. I don't care if United have a history of being knocked out at this point before. That's zero excuse for tonight.

Got a real 'ah well who cares onto the next game' attitude from Jose there. Shameless stuff. Getting worried now :o

If he slammed the team people would whine he was throwing players under the bus.

Any excuses and he'd be blamed for making excuses.

He gave an interview which no one could really talk about. bland.

Then people whine that he didn't give a fck.

Are you people for real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Hopeful the board are as disgusted as I am over the tactics over the 2 legs. Fuvking disgraceful and a disgraceful post match interview too. He constantly reminds me why I was so against his appointment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

On the actual game, was happy with Big Rom. Really starting to step up and show what he can do.

Got a snippet of it and he said things along the lines of:

No time to dwel on the game we have a game on Saturday. It’s not unusual for Utd to be knocked out. He’s come here with Madrid and knocked them out.

A nonchalant attitude in his tone and body language.

Would like to see the whole thing but I cringed watching it.

Lots of real stuff to complain about tonight but a manager not burying his team to the media is not cringe.

Mou: "I've sat in this chair twice before, with Porto - Man Utd out, with Real Madrid - Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club." #MUFC

What the actual fu*k

Did anyone else notice the booing at 0-0? It want just a few either.

Tonight has been a pivotal night I think and for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sickened. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

the football has been crap since jose has arrived just as i knew it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sirsok wrote: »
    dust ourselves off and learn from it. We beat liverpool and chelsea recently dont forget.

Nonsense, biggest game of the season and we show no desire and no urgency, almost like most of the players don't care about the CL, the Chelsea and Liverpool wins mean nothing now, were we absolutely sh*te, were is that team that started the season so well? Jose messed up big time, a pathetic and disgraceful performance, it's very hard to care about the fa cup now.

How can you have a spine when defenders keep getting bloody injured?

Midfielders getting injured. Carrick/Pogba/Herrera/Mou

Midfielders levels just dropping off like Ander/Pogba

During busy periods Fergie had no problem chopping n changing.

The problem wasn't the "style" or the personal.

The problem was the application and the attitude on the pitch.

Is the lack of application and attitude and levels dropping off a result of how players are being managed.

You play well just like McTomminay/Shaw/Martial/Rashford and suddenly your dropped or asked to play out of position and some others like Sanchez play muck and walk into the team.

Its got to be affecting the players

DM_7 wrote: »
    Lots of real stuff to complain about tonight but a manager not burying his team to the media is not cringe.

I’m not asking him to bury his team. I’m asking for some sort of explanation as to what went wrong, what he thought of the performance etc.

Also I was stating that it wa cringe for me, not stating it as fact.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Don't me wrong, I'm furious tonight. With players and manager.

I just think we're wasting time talking bout it tbh. I just can't see us sacking a manager getting second for us and then being sacked.

I don't think tonight is the time to have pages of rational conversation about the future of the manager with emotions high as they are, but there certainly is point in talking about it.

At the recent conference call, the United board were projecting their finances based on reaching the QF of the CL as a minimum. Never mind us in here, there is a chance that it is being talked about in places which actually matter.

I'm not saying that they are considering firing Jose, but tonight's exit is a big fúcking disaster which needs to be addressed from top to bottom.

Finances aside, we went out tonight at home to this severely average team while we had a plan A of lumping it up to Fellaini or Lukaku. It wasn't until we went a goal down and needed 2 ourselves that we brought on some creative players. By then it was far too late.

"But this method worked well against Liverpool, and fans were happy with that" - Well then Jose should have employed the same players and formation if it was a matter of repeating last Saturday's effective method. No McTominay, no CM really, no Mata, Rashford thrown over to the complete opposite side of where he managed to shine in the first half against Liverpool.

No consistency in line-ups, and no method to the madness which is unfolding. If this kind of football was garnering consistent wins, that's one thing. However, not only is largely ineffective for us, it's boring as fúck for the majority of time we're playing it.

The ease and quickness with which Sevilla could spawn an attack from their own defence, it really showed up our turgid, sideways-backwards-lump it, cautious play. Why do we play like that with some of the talent the manager has available and the fortune spent on the team?

For example, we signed Alexis Sanchez, quite a talented, exciting player. So far though, it's like he wasn't in the team, or at least it's a very different version of the player from his Arsenal days. We're more likely to see him drop deep now and try to get something going from our own half than be at the edge of the box making that crucial final pass for a goal. I'm not sure that is fully the fault of Sanchez.

Anyway, we had a gift of a last 16 draw with Sevilla. We approached them for 163 minutes as if they were City. We let them have the ball and didn't wander out of our own half unless we could be sure of making a successful pass forward. The United fans in attendance booed in majority for large spells long before the fatal second goal came tonight, knowing that what they were watching was flat-out unacceptable.

No matter what contract is in place, if the home crowd turn on Jose permanently well then he'll be gone IMO.

Btw, unless there's some very important context missing, the post match comments I'm now reading from Jose are disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Mou: "I've sat in this chair twice before, with Porto - Man Utd out, with Real Madrid - Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club." #MUFC

What the actual fu*k

What was the question asked And the context? Sounds weird on it’s own alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Jose is the right man for the job.

It’s not fair for him to (exclusively) carry the can for tonight’s debacle; for example, how on Earth can a player like Alexis Sanchez look like a fella from the stands who has just won a lucky dip?!

Major remedial work is still required. We can build a team around:

De Gea
    Bailly
    Matic
    Mata
    Lukaku
    Martial
    Rashford
    Lingard

The real enemies are:

Valencia (past it)
    Young (never had it)
    Smalling (not good enough)
    Jones (Mr Glass)
    Lindelof (a charlatan)
    Pogba (little boy lost meets spoofer)
    Sanchez (little boy lost meets mercenary)

Our club was wrecked by Sir Alex (only at the end!), David Moyes, and the ultimate villain, Louis Van Gaal.

The rebuild job to get us back where we belong is just far bigger than any of us thought, and the competition has become more fierce which is a hugely relevant point.

Very disappointing nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Biggest week of the season this week was called after Saturday's win over Pool

And then the team plays like that

Baffling stuff

Did anyone else notice the booing at 0-0? It want just a few either.

Tonight has been a pivotal night I think and for all the wrong reasons.

They have been booing for months now even against liverpool at the weekend.

The football has been crap ever since we played liverpool at anfield and that is a long time ago now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Honestly, I think it says a lot that with twenty minutes to go away to Manchester United, Sevilla felt entitled to bring on a striker and go and win the game. They should have been the ones with arses to the wall and trying to stop us scoring, instead it always looked like an inevitability that they would score.

Disgraceful set up, way too many players completely anonymous and lacked any semblance of urgency that you would expect at home on a European night.

Is the lack of application and attitude and levels dropping off a result of how players are being managed.

The same players were able to do it 3 days go?
    I
    You play well just like McTomminay/Shaw/Martial/Rashford and suddenly your dropped or asked to play out of position and some others like Sanchez play muck and walk into the team.

Its got to be affecting the players

McT has played a huge amount of minutes for his age, he had a massive game against Liverpool. If we won 4 - 0 tonight people would blink an eye at him been dropped. In fact people wanted him dropped after the Crystal Palace match.

Shaw has done nothing when he's had a chance _nothing_ bar what looks like eating mars bars.

Martial has been injured, generally when he does get dropped he's put in some brutal performances and he puts in many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

United had four shots on target in 180 minutes against a team who have conceded 42 league goals this season and 12 in six Champions League group games.
    Desperate when put in those terms

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

It’s not fair for him to (exclusively) carry the can for tonight’s debacle; for example, how on Earth can a player like Alexis Sanchez look like a fella from the stands who has just won a lucky dip?!

De Gea
    Bailly
    Matic
    Mata
    Lukaku
    Martial
    Rashford
    Lingard

The real enemies are:

Valencia (past it)
    Young (never had it)
    Jones (Mr Glass)
    Lindelof (a charlatan)

Our club was wrecked by Sir Alex right at the end, David Moyes, and the ultimate villain, Louis Van Gaal.

The rebuild job to get us back where we belong is just far bigger than any of us thought, and the competition has become more fierce which is a hugely relevant point.

ya fergie wrecked it alright by handing a title winning team to moyes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Whenever someone anti-Mourinho voices their opinion they are asked for alternatives, this would be my answer. Who had heard of Pochetino the manager when Southampton recruited him after he left Espanyol? I would like Manchester United PLC, the global conglomerate, to use some of it's recruiting nous and it's millions....... and millions..... to find the next Pochettino, a young manager with a future, with a philosophy of good attacking football with good young players. I don't know who that is but I would like to think the biggest football company in the world could find that person.

It doesn't just have to be a marquee name celebrity 'proven' manager. It doesn't have to be someone who will guarantee success in a season or two but; It does have to be someone worth getting behind.

This manager is not supportable....for many, many fans. It makes me sad that he makes me not care after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Zico ! wrote: »

De Gea
    Bailly
    Matic
    Mata
    Lukaku
    Martial
    Rashford
    Lingard

The real enemies are:

Valencia (past it)
    Young (never had it)
    Jones (Mr Glass)
    Lindelof (a charlatan)

Our club was wrecked by Sir Alex right at the end, David Moyes, and the ultimate villain, Louis Van Gaal.

ya fergie wrecked it alright by handing a title winning team to moyes :rolleyes:

That is such a naive and simplistic analysis of what was, in reality, a sh.tshow.

Mourinho says we didnt play bad!!!!

No jose, we didnt, it was septic

I’m not asking him to bury his team. I’m asking for some sort of explanation as to what went wrong, what he thought of the performance etc.

Also I was stating that it wa cringe for me, not stating it as fact.

Interesting, I never considered cringe as a fact scenario!

Anyway, point is as posted already ahove, straight after the game he should not be adding fuel to the fires and bland is exactly what he should be in public. If he said what he really felt it would not help anything just push blame around.

Plenty will blame him as well so I give him credit for not pushing the blame elsewhere at this stage of a season. It is too late for that with so few games left in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

United had four shots on target in 180 minutes against a team who have conceded 42 league goals this season and 12 in six Champions League group games.

Shots on target against Sevilla:

Man United: 4
    Maribor: 3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That's not what I'm saying at all. :confusedsmiliething: And it is pointless talking to you about Mourinho because your opinions are solidified and not for changing. I could point to the type of club he has been at when it comes to building long term, and their manager turnover, but let's be honest with one another, you aren't going to change your opinion on him, so why bother?

My opinion is indeed steadfastly formed on Mourinho, but I can see why United or anyone else would appoint him - United needed to appoint someone for the short term. They needed to get back to this level quickly and Mourinho will do that to an extent better than anyone else.

It's unbelievable anyone would pick him for a long term approach.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    Whenever someone anti-Mourinho voices their opinion they are asked for alternatives, this would be my answer. Who had heard of Pochetino the manager when Southampton recruited him after he left Espanyol? I would like Manchester United PLC, the global conglomerate, to use some of it's recruiting nous and it's millions....... and millions..... to find the next Pochettino, a young manager with a future, with a philosophy of good attacking football with good young players. I don't know who that is but I would like to think the biggest football company in the world could find that person.

It doesn't just have to be a marquee name celebrity 'proven' manager. It doesn't have to be someone who will guarantee success in a season or two but; It does have to be someone worth getting behind.

This manager is not supportable....for many, many fans. It makes me sad that he makes me not care after all these years.

IF Jose left, we'd have had three managers in four years.

The board will be looking to minimise the risk as much as possible. They will be looking for as close to a garuntee as possible that we won't be back out of the top four and we'll be going deeper into the CL. You're nuts if you think it's the time to take a risk on an untested manager from a third level club.

Absolutely. A cowardly approach. I don’t mind pragmatic as a means to and end and I suppose those with an opposite opinion to me would say that it would be justified if we got through.

I was bitterly disappointed with the first leg performance but thought there would be a marked improvement tonight. There wasn’t unfortunately and we got knocked out by a mediocre team over two legs and went out with a whimper.

Mourinho: “Liverpool has the Champions League but they don’t have the FA Cup.”

Please jose just stop

The football was worse under LVG and Moyes its acceptable under Jose if he wins things which he probably wont this season, hopefully we get his season 2 form in season 3 for us

They same players were able to do it 3 days go?

McT has played a huge amount of minutes for his age, he had a massive game against Liverpool. If we won 4 - 0 tonight people would blink an eye at him been dropped. In fact people wanted him dropped after the Crystal Palace match.

Shaw has done nothing when he's had a chance _nothing_ bar what looks like eating mars bars.

Martial has been injured, generally when he does get dropped he's put in some brutal performances and he puts in many of them.

A professional athlete of McTomminays age should have zero problems playing 2 games in 4 games. I dont buy the players are tired excuse.

Players have the top medical care, massage, dieticians and sports scientists i even read Gary Monk talk about a sleep specialist being employed at Swansea to ensure players slept correctly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement