Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

bangkok wrote: »
    We only had 5 corners. All hit into the danger area with pace, one even flicked on at near post.

5 should be enough to at least deliver one ball onto a head that results in a goal scoring opportunity or makes the keeper work.

Getting a flick on sadly doesnt constitute a successful corner. Maybe at school boy level but playing for one of the biggest teams in the world not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

kstand wrote: »
    I’ve read back over the last 10 pages of this thread. It’s pretty much reaffirmed my views on most of the posters.
    Last summer our club spent 40m on Matic. 40 ****ing million. Just look at their first goal and his contribution.
    He has coasted through games doing nothing for months on end yet no one has questioned him tonight - again.
    Let’s just put this in perspective - he is playing in a deep holding role like Keano did.

That's odd, he was the best thing since slice bread the other night against palace.

Some thought man of the match against Liverpool.

Now he's rubbish.

People talk about the match tonight been embarrassing, it's not nearly as bad as this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

limnam wrote: »
    That's odd, he was the best thing since slice bread the other night against palace.

Now he's rubbish.

People talk about the match tonight been embarrassing, it's not nearly as bad as this thread.

I was there against Palace.
    MOTM v Liverpool? What game were you watching?

Ninthlife wrote: »
    5 should be enough to at least deliver one ball onto a head that results in a goal scoring opportunity or makes the keeper work.

Getting a flick on sadly doesnt constitute a successful corner. Maybe at school boy level but playing for one of the biggest teams in the world not a chance

You should take a look at corner success rates across all teams.

You're going to be pretty shocked at how bad it is. I can never understand the excitement for winning a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ninthlife wrote: »

Sadly the chances of scoring from a corner are slim unless you have someone like ronaldo, ramos or steve bruce in his prime in the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I’ve read back over the last 10 pages of this thread. It’s pretty much reaffirmed my views on most of the posters.
    Last summer our club spent 40m on Matic. 40 ****ing million. Just look at their first goal and his contribution.
    He has coasted through games doing nothing for months on end yet no one has questioned him tonight - again.
    Let’s just put this in perspective - he is playing in a deep holding role like Keano did.

If you feel like Matic is who needs to be called out in all of this, it is unsurprising that you think most posters are clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

As for Pogba, we need to lance that particular boil; the man is a spoofer.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The match thread was magnificent, not embarrassing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

adox wrote: »
    It’s playground-standard debate to be honest.

A poster infers (as many misguided souls do) that Fergie winning the title in 2013 meant that everything in the garden was rosy.

I give a view that such analysis is naive, and your “contribution” adds the square root of zilch to proceedings.

Bizarre.

But let’s debate it then and the points being made. I haven’t had a personal go at you at all but quoted one of your own posts you made to another poster and said that’s actually how your post read and that the posters post was factual(which it was)

You’ve called me over aggressive and childish over it for some reason.

You’ve given one line analysis of players including “spoofer” “charlatan” etc.

I mean come on. If you want to debate then let’s debate.

Fine. We won a very poor league in 2013 on foot of RVP’s goals which were in retrospect the last sting of that particular dying wasp. The squad (and the midfield in particular) had been chronically neglected due to Sir Alex’s crazy “no value” policy (which was a front for the Glazers in my view). Other clubs were mobilising behind the scenes (Manchester City in particular). David Moyes then (whilst totally out of his depth) was handed “the Champions” (what a position to be in surely!), but the reality was that it was somewhat of a poison chalice. We were actually in decline and massively so, Fergie had simply overachieved whilst others had underacheived and were planning behind the scenes.

I firmly believe that the “we won the league” line is naive in the extreme.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The match thread was magnificent :)

Haha why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If you feel like Matic is who needs to be called out in all of this, it is unsurprising that you think most posters are clueless.

Yeah, I'd honestly have Matic as one of our outfield player of the seasons right. Ow. He's been brilliant all year. Criticising that piece of transfer business is bizarre....

I was there against Palace.
    MOTM v Liverpool? What game were you watching?

I didn't say *I* did.

What difference does it make if you were there or not.

The point is people were creaming themselves over him.

Now he can't kick snow off a rope.

No wonder next door thinks we're a bunch of fickle clowns.

Nalz wrote: »
    Haha why?

dont feed the bears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Now he's rubbish.

No fan would have thought any of those things, he is quite good at marking spaces but you don't think he is poor on the ball ? He is slow and gives up possession way too much for a midfielder, you see past this because we don't lose some games i bet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Haha why?

He’s still trying to get over Saturday.

Haha why?

I was responding to the suggestion it was an embarrassment - this thread is fast moving this evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

In a way it's probably for the best that we went out tonight. We were fortunate to get a relatively easy draw in Sevilla and rather than take advantage of that and stamp our obvious superiority on the tie, we approached it as if we were playing 2009 - 2011 Barcelona with an injured ravaged squad. Does anyone honestly think we would have made any impact on the competition in the next round had we scraped past Sevilla tonight? I can only imagine how negative we would be in a quarter final against Europe's elite. Probably best to take our deserved beating now than get our arses handed to us by a proper side in a few weeks time.

dont feed the bears

I was just asking Luckylloyd why, no harm :)

Case and point.

I was responding to the suggestion it was an embarrassment - this thread is fast moving this evening!!

Haha, cool!

• Advertisement

In a way it's probably for the best that we went out tonight. We were fortunate to get a relatively easy draw in Sevilla and rather than take advantage of that and stamp our obvious superiority on the tie, we approached it as if we were playing 2009 - 2011 Barcelona with an injured ravaged squad. Does anyone honestly think we would have made any impact on the competition in the next round had we scraped past Sevilla tonight? I can only imagine how negative we would be in a quarter final against Europe's elite. Probably best to take our deserved beating now than get our arses handed to us by a proper side in a few weeks time.

Oh you never know, in it to win it. Chelsea 2012 is a real thing that happened. Much rather struggle on and take my chances than be out.

You should take a look at corner success rates across all teams.

You're going to be pretty shocked at how bad it is. I can never understand the excitement for winning a corner.

i wont be shocked as I am aware of the stats. My point is dead ball delivery is poor and not just at United. We should be taking advantage of having tall physical players

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Now he's rubbish.

First half we were shocking against palace and lucked a win, many here were saying the result will brush a lot of stuff under the carpet.

We are poor against Pool too, a long ball goal and deflected one, Pool played better for large parts of the game.

Good results don't always equal good from. We've been poor ever since the City defeat imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

ankles wrote: »
    Mourinho seems to have a very limited concept of attacking strategy. His only clear gameplan is " big man up front and knock it long". He has Lukaku, he uses Fellaini for the same purpose, and if he runs out of options he sticks a centre back up there as well. Apart from that tell me what exactly is his attacking gameplan, because I'm not seeing any.

That's his philosophy to a tee... too conservative as a manager... Matic and Fellani on today... hoping to nick and goal and then go all out defend. So anti football and miserable to watch, you can get away with it sometimes with a bit of luck but not all the time.

The attacking players at his disposal and he doesn't use them or play to their strengths... that utd squad are well capable of going toe to toe with most teams but Mourinho's "dont concede at all costs" approach pretty much stifles them tonight.. I'd say Guardiola would win the league with that squad no probs..

he did the same thing in the Europa league last year winning by the odd goal here and there but was lucky that he had a handy run in the end as there were no quality teams about..

It's ok when you are winning and i'd suppose you could overlook the style of play but with the cash that he has spent and the players he has in the squad its absolute pants and is not good enough but he seems to get a free ride from the media etc. Poor Scholsey is shocked but he can also see that the players are being told to play a certain way... it's only a matter of time before the fans start seeing it (maybe a reality check from tonight's display) and voice their concerns....a

just my 2 cents and refreshing to see his approach beaten down tonight

Blaming pogba and calling him a spoofer is laughable considering he didnt even start the game and everyone was playing **** when he came on.

Pogba is a class act playing for the wrong manager

Sadly the chances of scoring from a corner are slim unless you have someone like ronaldo, ramos or steve bruce in his prime in the box

We have multiple tall players and from his time at Everton Lukaku is well capable of burying a header.

Im not saying we should score from every corner but at least get it beyond the front post and cause a problem

I didn't say *I* did.

What difference does it make if you were there or not.

The point is people were creaming themselves over him.

Now he can't kick snow off a rope.

No wonder next door thinks we're a bunch of fickle clowns.

When did they say it and who?
    Take off the blinkers.

• As a side note, the thing that they moan about all the time is getting it's fair use tonight aka Humour thread

Absolutely no problem with it whatsoever but It's the consistant hypocrisy of the poeple who moan one minute and they are the ones hammering it tonight and that makes it funny :P

Pogba is a class act

Based on what?

• Advertisement

Blaming pogba and calling him a spoofer is laughable considering he didnt even start the game and everyone was playing **** when he came on.

Fellaini and Matic were going a great job of covering midfield when one went forward one was back for the first goal matic is going forward getting out of position and Pogba stands in centre circle Fellaini would have covered the space.

Now not to blame Pogba for it all but he seemingly cant do the defensive side needed to play in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sorry but no, the defence DOES need rebuilding, badly. Three of the back four were there under Fergie.

The midfield is also a bit of a bomb site too.

There absolutely is a rebuild needed there.

Mind, that doesn't explain our issue scoring goals, although Rashford was back to his worst and Sanchez isn't offering the assists needed.

a true cop out.... the squad has all the tools.. as i said before, give Guardiola that squad and he wins the league.. there's no excuses for Mourinho and especially for the money he has spent...

Prob alot are not blaming him, but....

Shìt contribution tonight and over half the season.
    Poor distribution, trotts back at a snail's pace, positional sense is awful especially off the ball.

You're in the minority about him for a reason. An out of form spoilt above average midfielder spoofing his way at United.

First half we were shocking against palace and lucked a win, many here were saying the result will brush a lot of stuff under the carpet.

Yera people have been saying from his first match.

Wizards.
    We are poor against Pool too, a long ball goal and deflected one, Pool played better for large parts of the game.

Long ball. OMG I'm surprised the rule book allows you to do that tbh.

Is it true that the best attacking strike force in Europe barley managed a shot on target after the 33rd minute or something?

Sounds like we were rubbish.

Poor distribution, trotts back at a snail's pace, positional sense is awful especially off the ball.

You're in the minority about him for a reason. An out of form spoilt above average midfielder spoofing his way at United.

Ive yet to see one 90 million pound performance from him this season

Based on what?

Playing for Juventus and france and some of his performances for us

• Advertisement

He has been very poor and a disapointment. The spurs game away was a telling moment. I think the trust with him and jose was broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Don’t post here much, been a Utd fan since 68.
    Our relegated team of 73 was probably worse than this lot, some of Fergies early teams were pretty crap too but he was rebuilding.
    I never agreed with Mourinho’s appointment, he is a horrible negative manager having spent over £609 million on turning good players to Shiite.
    Tonight was inexcusable De Gea plays below his brilliant best and we lose.
    I can’t wait for Mourinho to get the boot.

Based on what?

Which ones (for us)?

As an aside, the Italian league is a shambles these days and Juventus are their flat-track-bullies.

Pogba may very well come good, but his United career to date has been a joke.

Fellaini and Matic were going a great job of covering midfield when one went forward one was back for the first goal matic is going forward getting out of position and Pogba stands in centre circle Fellaini would have covered the space.

Now not to blame Pogba for it all but he seemingly cant do the defensive side needed to play in midfield

Fellaini and matic? We needed goals tonight, at least 2 i said before the game and we were at home to ****ing sevilla with steven nzonzi midfield. It was a poor starting line up and with rashford right

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Based on what?

You can count his good performances for us on the fingers of one foot. He's even more frustrating than Rooney was in his last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Which ones (for us)?

As an aside, the Italian league is a shambles these days and Juventus are their flat-track-bullies.

Pogba may very well come good, but his United career to date has been a joke.

What about with juventus in champions league when he was there best player?

How about for france when he is there star player?

Fellaini!

Our biggest match of the season and Fellaini starts!!

We may as well have Vinnie Jones in there and Fash the Bash up front!!!

“AAAAGHWOOOGAAAA”

Oh you never know, in it to win it. Chelsea 2012 is a real thing that happened. Much rather struggle on and take my chances than be out.

I agree but that was a fluke they were far from the best team in the competition. Highly doubt we would have emulated that win had we beaten Sevilla. Not sure if I'd want to win it that way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I just can't see any logical argument for Jose to stay at this point. The game has passed him by, both on and off the pitch. Utd are probably the only top club in the world without a director of football. His signings haven't worked. He can't get the team to gel. The players CLEARLY don't give a crap. City are light years ahead of United and this has been a pathetic showing in Europe. The gap between City and United is only going to be more pronounced next year.

The manchester derby on 7th april will be a nightmare watch

Not sure if I'd want to win it that way either.

Going back to the dark place donkey.....

You're also talking rubbish again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Case and point.

If everyone you meet is an idiot.....amirite?

Going back to the dark place donkey.....

You're also talking rubbish again.

Am I? Are you going back to throwing insults around again?

What rubbish am I talking anyway? I've noticed you've returned to your head in the sand posting style a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

With regards to Pogba, his attitude clearly stinks. He doesn't give a ****e and is all about himself....but the fact is he is an immense talent and needs a certain type of manager to get that talent out of him. Jose will never be that type. Imagine how he feels when he sees the improvements that Pep and Klopp are making towards their players. He's probably massively regretting coming back to Utd under the dinosaur that is Jose. Playing hoof and hope against f*cking Sevilla and playing against them the way you'd play against 2009 Barcelona. An embarrassment.

Am I? Are you going back to throwing insults around again?

What rubbish am I talking anyway? I've noticed you've returned to your head in the sand posting style a bit as well.

Ah c'mon. Saying you wouldn't want to win it "that way" it's nonsense.

No head in the sand here. I just don't think our friend at spurs is the answer to all our problems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement