Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If I thought there was any chance we could get Pochettino I’d vote for a change in manager but I don’t think we can get him.

After that I have no idea who I would want as manager and I don’t think there is any outstanding candidates out there.

So do you plough on and keep going down a road you are sure is the wrong road, or do you cut your losses now and risk setting yourself back to eventually find the right road?

Right now, tonight, I’d give Jose the boot. Ask me again in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

limnam wrote: »
    Yera people have been saying from his first match.

Wizards.

Long ball. OMG I'm surprised the rule book allows you to do that tbh.

Is it true that the best attacking strike force in Europe barley managed a shot on target after the 33rd minute or something?

Sounds like we were rubbish.

Never said it didn't, pointless thing to say. My point was it was more luck, a hit and hope tactic than skill. Goals like that rarely come off, but don't let that stop your strawmanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

bangkok wrote: »
    The manchester derby on 7th april will be a nightmare watch

Slightly different but we all thought Liverpool at home was going to be a tough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Fans have a responsibility to voice their opinion. The last few days have been incessant (as an LFC fan) with gloating and basking in glory of a win.

But as fans you have to ask yourself what are you supporting. Against Liverpool, the tactics were pathetic. The 2nd half was miserable with no effort at football, and the result was as much fortunate due to questionable refereeing as tactically astute. A penalty awarded and who knows what might have happened - you certainly wouldn't have been admiring the tactics then.

So tonight a similar negative pathetic performance. But this time fortune is not with the club and the fans are up in arms.

As a fan it simply can't be just about the results - if you cheer the results regardless of style or fortune, then you send a message to the manager that it's acceptable and the style continues. You reap what you sow.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Never said it didn't, pointless thing to say. My point was it was more luck, a hit and hope tactic than skill. Goals like that rarely come off, but don't let that stop your strawmanning.

Sure ok, we lucked out twice in the first half and Liverpool had bad luck for 90 minutes....

Have you considered punditry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

GSPfan wrote: »
    If I thought there was any chance we could get Pochettino I’d vote for a change in manager but I don’t think we can get him.

After that I have no idea who I would want as manager and I don’t think there is any outstanding candidates out there.

So do you plough on and keep going down a road you are sure is the wrong road, or do you cut your losses now and risk setting yourself back to eventually find the right road?

Right now, tonight, I’d give Jose the boot. Ask me again in a few days.

Not sure about Poch but I agree with the rest of your post.

Notorious wrote: »
    Slightly different but we all thought Liverpool at home was going to be a tough watch.

Some claim it was.

But secret footage of them was released creaming their pants when we won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Ah c'mon. Saying you wouldn't want to win it "that way" it's nonsense.

No head in the sand here. I just don't think our friend at spurs is the answer to all our problems.

If we are to win a Champions League I'd like it to be by playing quality football, by backing our players and by going toe to toe with Europe's best and beating them, not by fluking our way to the title like Chelsea in 2012.

Of course a Champions League title would be welcome in whatever circumstances but fundamentally, as a football fan, I'd like to look forward to and enjoy watching my team in the biggest games. I'd like to watch our players play to their true potential. I can't enjoy or get excited about what I saw against Sevilla in both legs (and many other big games this season, even some of the ones we won). I would think a quarter final against Barca/City/Bayern/Juve would have just been an even more negative and cowardly display.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Sure ok, we lucked out twice in the first half and Liverpool had bad luck for 90 minutes....

Have you considered punditry

SO more strawmanning, I said they played better for large parts, not that they had bad luck for 90 minutes.

Have you ever considered actually replying to what actually was said and not making up a childish bs argument?

• Advertisement

SO more strawmanning, I said they played better for large parts, not that they had bad luck for 90 minutes.

Have you ever considered actually replying to what actually was said and not making up a childish bs argument?

It goes like this.

You post some nonsensical rubbish.
    You get called out on it.
    You whine about strawmen and people changing your "point" whatever it was suppose to be in the first place I've no idea. "united are rubbish" or similar.

Then get upset and throw a strop.

Stick me on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I don't think tonight is the time to have pages of rational conversation about the future of the manager with emotions high as they are, but there certainly is point in talking about it.

At the recent conference call, the United board were projecting their finances based on reaching the QF of the CL as a minimum. Never mind us in here, there is a chance that it is being talked about in places which actually matter.

I'm not saying that they are considering firing Jose, but tonight's exit is a big fúcking disaster which needs to be addressed from top to bottom.

Finances aside, we went out tonight at home to this severely average team while we had a plan A of lumping it up to Fellaini or Lukaku. It wasn't until we went a goal down and needed 2 ourselves that we brought on some creative players. By then it was far too late.

"But this method worked well against Liverpool, and fans were happy with that" - Well then Jose should have employed the same players and formation if it was a matter of repeating last Saturday's effective method. No McTominay, no CM really, no Mata, Rashford thrown over to the complete opposite side of where he managed to shine in the first half against Liverpool.

No consistency in line-ups, and no method to the madness which is unfolding. If this kind of football was garnering consistent wins, that's one thing. However, not only is largely ineffective for us, it's boring as fúck for the majority of time we're playing it.

The ease and quickness with which Sevilla could spawn an attack from their own defence, it really showed up our turgid, sideways-backwards-lump it, cautious play. Why do we play like that with some of the talent the manager has available and the fortune spent on the team?

For example, we signed Alexis Sanchez, quite a talented, exciting player. So far though, it's like he wasn't in the team, or at least it's a very different version of the player from his Arsenal days. We're more likely to see him drop deep now and try to get something going from our own half than be at the edge of the box making that crucial final pass for a goal. I'm not sure that is fully the fault of Sanchez.

Anyway, we had a gift of a last 16 draw with Sevilla. We approached them for 163 minutes as if they were City. We let them have the ball and didn't wander out of our own half unless we could be sure of making a successful pass forward. The United fans in attendance booed in majority for large spells long before the fatal second goal came tonight, knowing that what they were watching was flat-out unacceptable.

No matter what contract is in place, if the home crowd turn on Jose permanently well then he'll be gone IMO.

Btw, unless there's some very important context missing, the post match comments I'm now reading from Jose are disappointing.

Excellent post. Can see a lot of pressure coming on Mourhino now from the fans. **** football and nothing to show for it will have the fans on his back.
    Loads of attacking talent just gone to pieces because of our style of football. Pogba, Sanchez, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Mata are all very good footballers yet none of them are playing with any consistency or purpose. How long before they turn on the manager... not long I reckon especially if they see the crowd on his back as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As a side note, the thing that they moan about all the time is getting it's fair use tonight aka Humour thread

Absolutely no problem with it whatsoever but It's the consistant hypocrisy of the poeple who moan one minute and they are the ones hammering it tonight and that makes it funny :P

The hypocrisy is gas. Lads whinging about United fans in their thread Saturday were in here tonight.

There’s an awful lack of self awareness and perspective around here. Mourinho has United in second place. Has won trophies since he arrived. He’s just beaten them in the league a few days ago and you have fans of a team that are below them in the table, have won absolutely nothing in 6 years, delighted that Mourinho is managing United and hope he stays on? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

"I sit in this chair with Porto, Man United out. I sit in the chair with Real Madrid, Man United out.

"So, I don't think it is something new for the club and of course being Manchester United manager and losing a Champions League tie at home is a disappointment."

Is that not an infuriating and unforgivable comment to hear at this time as United fans?

"I don't think the performance was bad."

Is this delusional comment after being outplayed twice by Sevilla not even more infuriating?

The comments must be almost more frustrating and uninspiring than the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/973703297197420544

He says some players were hiding at the beginning of the video but then backtracks at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The hypocrisy is gas. Lads whinging about United fans in their thread Saturday were in here tonight.

There’s an awful lack of self awareness and perspective around here. Mourinho has United in second place. Has won trophies since he arrived. He’s just beaten them in the league a few days ago and you have fans of a team that are below them in the table, have won absolutely nothing in 6 years, delighted that Mourinho is managing United and hope he stays on? Bizarre.

Are there specific people you're talking about, or are all fans of any particular team just treated as one entity?

Also I daresay the Mourinho thing is because of his track record of generally dropping the performance levels after year 2, moving into year 3. His adversarial style seems to have a shelf life at any given team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/973703297197420544

He says some players were hiding at the beginning of the video but then backtracks at the end.

Some players hiding in the dressing room..i said it a while back there is something wrong at United and that comment by Lukaku alludes to possibly a fraction within the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Are there specific people you're talking about, or are all fans of any particular team just treated as one entity?

Also I daresay the Mourinho thing is because of his track record of generally dropping the performance levels after year 2, moving into year 3. His adversarial style seems to have a shelf life at any given team.

Yes there are specific people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don’t know what to think at the moment, thoroughly disappointed at the moment,tonight is definitely on Jose and the way he set us up.

Overall, I don’t know, we are very inconsistent, and very rarely have a full 90 mins where we say we were good.. it’s usually a bad half followed by a good half or vice versa. It gets me wondering is it a manager problem, a player problem or both.

Against Liverpool in the second half the players where retreating and falling deep, this has been evident in plenty of games where we have taken the lead. It has been noticeable on more than one occasion, Jose screaming at the players to push up. Yet they kept falling deeper and inviting pressure on themselves.

Again there has been progress made and if we finish the league in second we cannot deny that is progress in the league. We need to be winning the FA cup though.

I love Jose, I love winning, and he’s a born winner, but questions are creeping in if he is the right man for the job, I’m still firmly behind him at this moment in time and I do think if he is sacked it can only be when it becomes evident that it’s not working out and for a truly top of the range manager, that can take the players we have and add some of his own players to that and get them winning. Who is available at the moment that fits that bill? Bayern, Chelsea, PSG and more than likely Real will all be looking for new managers.

Ive seen it posted once or twice tonight said that they think that Jose has lost the dressing room. I don’t know how anyone could think that, even after tonight. Especially after the comeback wins over Palace and Chelsea, and the win over Liverpool.Now I do respect people’s rights to their opinions, but that is just nonsense.

Anyways my two cents..

Disclaimer: might actually be about 30 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Missed the game and only caught 5 minutes of highlights. Funny how all my Liverpool supporting mates are suddenly giving it large on social media tonight. Not a peep about football since Saturday.;)

Robson99 wrote: »
    Excellent post. Can see a lot of pressure coming on Mourhino now from the fans. **** football and nothing to show for it will have the fans on his back.
    Loads of attacking talent just gone to pieces because of our style of football. Pogba, Sanchez, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Mata are all very good footballers yet none of them are playing with any consistency or purpose. How long before they turn on the manager... not long I reckon especially if they see the crowd on his back as well

Whatever happens with the OT fans (they will be alright for the time being with a win at the weekend I reckon) I'm confident that he still has the dressing room on his side.

Take he and Pogba for instance, it is clear that they have a complex working relationship. We've seen Jose bollocking Pogba out of it on the line against Spurs, we've seen Jose drop Pogba in subsequent games. However, when Jose was doing interviews in the aftermath of the Liverpool victory, a smiling Pogba interrupted one of them to greet Jose and congratulate him on the win.

So I don't think it's black and white with the players, I think he can man-manage them and give them the Mkhi/Martial/Shaw/Pogba treatment without the players losing faith in him. It's just, if deflating nights like this happen too often, if we spend too long in the midst of what seems like an insurmountable City shadow, I imagine that talented players will begin to wonder why the team they play in is far less than the sum of its parts.

So, I got to see the context of those post-match comments of Jose's. These ones in particular...
    "I've sat in this chair twice before, with Porto - Man Utd out, with Real Madrid - Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club."
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TV3SportIreland/status/973684887839543296/video/1

Have a look for yourselves if you wish, but the footage doesn't make the comments seem any better to me. With such a line, he's basically saying 'United got put out before when I wasn't manager, this should be no big deal to the club/fans...by the way those times were by me so I'm obviously great and have nothing to answer for here'.

Look, there's nothing he could have said which would have made the night better, but I do think he's walking a fine line there which could make things worse. He isn't just defecting with those comments or trying to protect the players, but it's like he's just trying to preserve/promote Brand Jose.

Someone else in here compared the comments to Moyes saying 'We aspire to be like City', but for me they remind me more of LVG's 'The fans expect too much', with a good splash of self-promotion thrown in.

Anyway, I don't think he should go now because of the defeat or because of the comments. It sucks that the season seems as good as over now. Even if we win 4-0 at the weekend, it's not a definite sign that things are about to click. The rest of the season is effectively a 'wait and see' for me in relation to what should be done with the manager and what is to become of his team.

There's just too much money invested in players he brought in, too much past success on his CV to say 'Done. Next, please' right now.

If we go out of the FA Cup to a weaker team, whimper over the line to 4th and by May the team still resembles a group of players meeting and having a kick-about for the first time, then it might be time to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MurDawg wrote: »
    We simply cant become a revolving door for managers. Who out there is available and better than Jose?

Three times Champions League winner Carlo Ancelotti is free this summer. Arsenal are bound to be all over him though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whether Jose or new manager I hope we dont have to endure Pogba again. Or Alexis starting games.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Three times Champions League winner Carlo Ancelotti is free this summer. Arsenal are bound to be all over him though...

I wouldn’t be a fan. Wouldn’t hate it but it’s definitely a short term appointment.

I’ve woke up a bit calmer and while I still feel the same I realise Jose is not getting sacked this Summer because of the top 4 finish so not wasting time thinking about a manager change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Carlo would have been my first pick post LVG but now I'm not so sure.

Last night was disappointing but not the end of the world but the lack of impetus from the entire team with the exception of Rom is very concerning.

The number of unforced, individual errors was shocking, wayward passes from lads that are supposed to be some of the best in the world. It was the exact same thing against Palace, only difference is that we got out of jail against.

There has to be a dramatic change in attitude and approach from both players and management in the remaining fixtures other wise we will finish the season without any trophies. A top 4 finish may be the high end of expectations for other teams but it shouldn't be for us.

On a more positive note, Rom is fast becoming our star player. Despite the fact he is constantly played outside of his best position, it was obvious again last night how passionate he is about the team. No sulking, no head dropping, he has given 100% in every game and has backed it up with goals and assists. The likes of Pogba and Sanchez would do well to take a leaf out of his book. Sanchez I can somewhat forgive but Pogba is supposed to be our star man, last night was supposed to be tailor made for him but he has never or very rarely taken the game by the scruff of the neck, that's what leaders do. He has been a passenger for too long and my patients is beginning to run out.

Whether he outlasts Jose at the club remains to be seen.

I’ve woke up a bit calmer and while I still feel the same I realise Jose is not getting sacked this Summer because of the top 4 finish so not wasting time thinking about a manager change.

I think a lot will be similar today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I agree but that was a fluke they were far from the best team in the competition. Highly doubt we would have emulated that win had we beaten Sevilla. Not sure if I'd want to win it that way either.

You win the greatest club competition in the world you celebrate: manner of victory really doesn’t matter.

And that’s the general point here I think: Mourinho’s approach is acceptable if it brings the big trophies. Without them, I’d imagine it’s hard to stomach for most Utd fans.

Missed the game and only caught 5 minutes of highlights. Funny how all my Liverpool supporting mates are suddenly giving it large on social media tonight. Not a peep about football since Saturday.;)

It’s not funny, it’s obvious. I bet you’d swap the two results if you could.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Carlo would have been my first pick post LVG but now I'm not so sure.

My understanding of Carlo is he lost the Real job and the Bayern job cause while he won stuff, he wasn't playing the style of football the two clubs wanted, and frustrated his players by being overly pragmatic. That's, admittedly, from reading rather than watching his teams, but from what I've seen, there'd be no point replacing Jose with him if the concern is "we got second but played poor football".

Simeone would probably be the same too; grind out results conservatively.

========

I always argue things are a spectrum and I've not flipped on a binary switch to "sack Jose". But nor am I down the end of "he's bulletproof". I'm smack bang in the middle tonight.

I do think he's progressed the team massively in the last year. I also think there's a massive player problem still, with a defence that constantly look ready to **** the bed, and a midfield who struggle to take control of games. I don't believe any other manager, to be honest, would have those two areas preforming much better right now. If anything, I think we've overachieved with the defence we have. Admittedly, I think while the tactics are helping the defence, they are hindering the attack...

At the same time, three windows in and Jose had to own those issues too. I know it's said he likes three or four players per window, but I wonder if he needed to move quicker in that regard. Regardless of who is the manager in the summer, we need two new full backs and two new midfielders. If you change manager, I'd say there'd be more needed too; depending on who it is, some players may be shifted out or opt to move, depending on the name and their style.

I just don't think he will get sacked though. Not with a comfortable second place which we are on track to achieve. Especially with the CL gone, I think we should well cement second now, our best league finish for years by a large margin. I just hope the shower of players don't shrugs and go "season over" and let that slip into a forth place finish now. I'm glad we got the Pool and Chelsea games done before this.

I don't want him sacked. But I've lost a tremendous amount of energy with regards defending him. If people had genuine alternatives, I'd be willing to discuss them more so.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You win the greatest club competition in the world you celebrate: manner of victory really doesn’t matter.

And that’s the general point here I think: Mourinho’s approach is acceptable if it brings the big trophies. Without them, I’d imagine it’s hard to stomach for most Utd fans.

Absolutely, has that ever been in question though?

I'll take winning trophies ugly over pretty but ultimately fruitless football every day of the week and im sure the majority of fans would too, despite what they might say publicly.

If the ugly football proves fruitless well then questions would have to be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Not looking forward to the office today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

There’s an old video of Jose giving his best Chelsea team a talk in advance of a game where he finishes with something along the lines of ‘we don’t have to win but we must not lose’. I feel that he’s stuck to that mantra a bit too much and it’s costing the attacking side of the team. Last nights tactics were all wrong. It was obvious that Seville had too much time on the ball in midfield.

It’s not 100% Jose though. He can’t be held responsible for the bad passes and things like that. The players have to cop on to themselves too.

Sanchez was very poor last night and the more he plays the more I wonder what the point was in signing him. He should be dropped on form.

Valencia has been poor enough lately, which really shows that we need a new RB.

Pogba is doing nothing to help himself. I don’t want to sound as if I’m piling the blame on him but he’s seriously underperforming. When the team is chasing goals like last night it’s infuriating to see him sauntering around with the ball and then put it out of play like that stupid pass to the right wing.

Overall we were crap and the tactics and attitude from the players need to change. This overly defensive approach is killing us.

Agree with everyone about Lukaku though. He played very well and never gave up. More of that from the rest of the team and we might actually play well.

It’s not funny, it’s obvious. I bet you’d swap the two results if you could.

Dunno about that tbh. We aren't near good enough to win the champions league so pretty much securing entry into the competition for next season vs getting tonked by a Barca or Munich then having to scrap for 3rd or 4th, I'm not so sure which is more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Depressing stuff watching ye last night lads, with all the talent on show its definitely the manager that has sucked the life out of this team.

I never liked mourinho as a person so I might be biased but in his pomp his players would run through a wall for him, he had such a good relationship with players and they would call jose a good friend. If you have top players who will die for you on the pitch u can get away with negative tactics. That jose is gone tho, hes very happy to throw players under the bus in public these days and its all about himself over the past 5/6 years.

But fans saying who else is there?? Come on lads, yer man United , yer not stuck with this ****e just out of fear.

Pochettino, guardiola, zidane, conte, even Wenger. All relative nobodies management wise before given the chance and trusted.

United could have almost anyone they want. Not a united fan but love big European nights at old Trafford but last night was depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lukaku was the only player to try and do something different. His desire, control and even his dribbling last night was far ahead of anyone on the pitch. Sanchez was awful, Pogba was awful when he came on, Martial I dont remember getting a touch. Rashers was poor on the right, Lingard did feck all. Way too many passengers last night in that team.

As for managers that are potentially going to be available in the summer, it doesnt make great reading. Zidane might potentially get the sack but PSG and Bayern are likely going to be on the hunt. If Zidane leaves then Poch to Madrid is likely to be done.

You've got likes of Allegri at Juve who's fairly pragmatic himself. Other than that I'm struggling to think who would be in the running. A left field choice like Nagelsmann as a young exciting manager, Luis Enrique who has managed Barca but never set the world alight with that team.

Tbh if we got rid of Jose this summer I'm not sure if we will find someone of the same calibre. I'm sick of the football but we need substance over style and we need to continue qualifying for champions league.

Dunno about that tbh. We aren't near good enough to win the champions league so pretty much securing entry into the competition for next season vs getting tonked by a Barca or Munich then having to scrap for 3rd or 4th, I'm not so sure which is more attractive.

Entry into the competition had already been effectively secured with Chelsea 9 points behind you and only 27 points left to play for.

And again, this 'I'm glad we don't have to get tonked by Barca or Munich' idea belies some of the results over two legs that we've seen in the competition the past 15 years. As long as you're in the CL it's all possible. Draw Roma, and you'd have fancied your chances.

So yeah, if you're saying you'd line up a win and a loss the last four days like this I genuinely don't believe you.

Tbf plenty sounded like they would last night. CL is way more important than League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

pjohnson wrote: »
    Whether Jose or new manager I hope we dont have to endure Pogba again. Or Alexis starting games.

Very early to be writing off Sanchez.

Entry into the competition had already been effectively secured with Chelsea 9 points behind you and only 27 points left to play for.

And again, this 'I'm glad we don't have to get tonked by Barca or Munich' idea belies some of the results over two legs that we've seen in the competition the past 15 years. As long as you're in the CL it's all possible. Draw Roma, and you'd have fancied your chances.

So yeah, if you're saying you'd line up a win and a loss the last four days like this I genuinely don't believe you.

It's a common enough thing, no United fan wanted to get eliminated but when you get knocked out by Sevilla you reevaulate where you are at. Had we beaten Sevilla then of course you fancy your chances because your confident. We are not confident especially hours after the defeat so fans try see the positive light even when none exist.

The game on Saturday had no bearing on last night if anything we should of been on a high and not flat like we were

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My understanding of Carlo is he lost the Real job and the Bayern job cause while he won stuff, he wasn't playing the style of football the two clubs wanted, and frustrated his players by being overly pragmatic. That's, admittedly, from reading rather than watching his teams, but from what I've seen, there'd be no point replacing Jose with him if the concern is "we got second but played poor football".

Well I'd disagree there. The hallmark of Ancelotti's career has been adapting to various styles and sets of players. He doesn't have signature formations or approaches, and rather he seems to turn up at a place and cut his cloth according to what he has to work with. He is also known to be a gent who handles press calmly with the odd bit of humour, so that aspect of Mourinhoball would be significantly upgraded.

Ancelotti isn't a long term option, but he's been around the block at the biggest clubs and he'd be a decent bet for a good half decade. Fortunately Utd can easily have a manager like that, which is a great position of strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Notorious wrote: »

Dont think we did really. Liverpools midfield defence and keeper are poor. City away with the title up for grabs is going to be a nightmare imo. Can see us getting a spanking if im honest

beno619 wrote: »

It is but when a player of his quality is having virtually no impact in games it's time to give him a few games off. He's had zero impact IMO at this stage

Id love to have sat down with fergie after the game and listen to what he thought of that performance last night

duffman13 wrote: »
    The game on Saturday had no bearing on last night if anything we should of been on a high and not flat like we were

I think it's always difficult to play two huge games within three days of each other. That's what's makes the great sides that win trebles and such so great. I agree Utd should have been on a high (and it's been a good run of results generally), but ye did spend a lot of Saturday penned deep without the ball. Now that was the plan and it was brilliantly executed, but there may well have been a mental expenditure there that wasn't ideal leading into last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Woke up this morning and still disgusted, I just can’t get over the lack of intensity in this game after watching the players run through brick walls the weekend. I really don’t know if the players were overly confident of a win that their energy levels dropped off significantly. It’s up to Jose to get that mentality up to scratch..
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    I don't want him sacked. But I've lost a tremendous amount of energy with regards defending him. If people had genuine alternatives, I'd be willing to discuss them more so.

Anyways TSC has put my thoughts into words here above. Exactly how I’m feeling at the moment.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »

I just said not starting. Rashford/Martial deserve that left spot based on form and Mata deserves the RW slot. Sanchez needs to earn his starting spot back. He has not delivered.

I think it's always difficult to play two huge games within three days of each other. That's what's makes the great sides that win trebles and such so great. I agree Utd should have been on a high (and it's been a good run of results generally), but ye did spend a lot of Saturday penned deep without the ball. Now that was the plan and it was brilliantly executed, but there may well have been a mental expenditure there that wasn't ideal leading into last night.

I see your point but last night should have been a different type of game. From team selection to the subs it was just poor from Mourinho and from the team. The Liverpool game would have had no bearing, the mental expenditure you mention would have felt a whole lot worse had we drawn or lost that game. We got a positive result and followed it up with a **** show

Pochetinno is the stand out candidate imo.

De gea will prob head off to madrid in the summer, should try and get kroos in exchange

'Jose: United exit nothing new'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11288984

I know it was said last night but i cant believe he actually said that las night. Totally wiping his hands clean of the defeat. Pathetic

bangkok wrote: »
    Id love to have sat down with fergie after the game and listen to what he thought of that performance last night

Probably that Pogba was a giant waste of money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement