Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just for context the below is Renato Sanchez has achevied at 20 and yet he is see as a failure,
    Also had a 35 million move at 18

Represented his country at all levels

Yeah, but he asked about France. Pogba has actually won things and received awards at senior level too.

Lets not forget Anderson he was pretty good when he was young too.

Just checked his wiki page only 29 jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just for context the below is Renato Sanchez has achevied at 20 and yet he is see as a failure,

• UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2014[47]7]
    • UEFA European Championship Young Player of the Tournament: 2016[56]
    • Primeira Liga Breakthrough Player: 2015–16[68]
    • Primeira Liga Best Goal: 2015–16[68]
    • Golden Boy: 2016[69]
    • UEFA Champions League Breakthrough XI: 2016[

Yeah, but he asked about France. Pogba has actually won things and received awards at senior level too.
    So has Sanchez, won the Euro and won best young player there,
    My point is players can be great and win things and then not progress,
    Pogba's been bang average for two years the fact some fans will not accept this it is laughable , Call it how it is he has been a massive let down,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

7l7gbo4t4ql01.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pogba's been bang average for two years the fact some fans will not accept this it is laughable , Call it how it is he has been a massive let down,

He had more assists than de bruyne, neymar and ozil not that long ago, the most assists in europe at one stage as far as i remember having played a lot of games less too

• UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2014[47]7]
    • UEFA European Championship Young Player of the Tournament: 2016[56]
    • Primeira Liga Breakthrough Player: 2015–16[68]
    • Primeira Liga Best Goal: 2015–16[68]
    • Golden Boy: 2016[69]
    • UEFA Champions League Breakthrough XI: 2016[

Sanchez won the Euro's and best young player at it so he's won bigger things than Pogba  ,
    it shows great young players can lose there way and not fulfil potential ,
    Its laughable that some fans can't just call it straight and say Pogba's been bang average for two years and has been a let down ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drumpot wrote: »

Jose’s comments are as much to protect players from the media backlash as anything else. If the media and fans anger is on Jose for what he says then the team can get back to basics without added pressure. I applaud this managerial tactic that Fergie regularly used whipping up a storm so everybody would
    Be focused on him.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    7l7gbo4t4ql01.png

I thought as much.... let’s be honest, fans love turning on managers quicker then players so it’s an easy tactic to fool the masses into attacking the manager.

Sanchez has won bigger things than Pogba , the Euro's and young player at it,
    Young players can fall away it always happenes
    Why are some fans so delusional every one can see Pogba has been average for 2 years and a massive let down.,
    just cause he plays for United doesn't mean uv to pretend he is world class,

7l7gbo4t4ql01.png

I dont care anymore. Last night was our season. It all boiled down to 90mins and it as was pathetic. Season has been a very poor one

bangkok wrote: »

He had more assists than de bruyne, neymar and ozil not that long ago, the most assists in europe at one stage as far as i remember having played a lot of games less too
    De Bruyne has 14 Pogba has 9  how is that more ? but it sounded good while you where lieing :)

• Advertisement

Sanchez has won bigger things than Pogba , the Euro's and young player at it,
    Young players can fall away it always happenes
    Why are some fans so delusional every one can see Pogba has been average for 2 years and a massive let down.,
    just cause he plays for United doesn't mean uv to pretend he is world class,

Because people are quickly swayed by his media persona and arrogance that his performances for United don’t match. It has to be the fault of one of the most successful managers in the game and SAF before him. Neither were able to appreciate his greatness!

I don’t care what he did at Juventus anymore then I care about Di
    Maria or Veron or any other talent that Couldn’t hack it at united. Fact is some players just don’t have the character , drive , adaptability or footballing brain to maximize their ability.

I dont care anymore. Last night was our season. It all boiled down to 90mins and it as was pathetic. Season has been a very poor one

In comparison to what season has this been poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

for those too lazy;

Wants a new CB in to partner Bailly; Umtiti and Alderweild as top two targets.

There's fear Pogba might want to leave; potential swap for Veratti being discussed as they both have the same agent. But thats only an emergency scenario.

Real Madrid still sniffing round DDG; both sides aware that Kroos could come the other direction if a deal is to be made.

Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Herrera, probably a CB if one comes in.

That's five.

Fellaini six and Mata 7?

Found this interesting too; points after 30 games for United over the last 15 years

EQTOMvd.jpg

That's five.

Fellaini six and Mata 7?

How can we let 7 go and only 4 come in the squad is fairly think ATM already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus

That's five.

Fellaini six and Mata 7?

Carrick

• Advertisement

Found this interesting too; points after 30 games for United over the last 15 years

EQTOMvd.jpg

I believe we lost 65pts due to the Sevilla defeat actually.

Carrick

Ibra be counted? Contracted until July.

How can we let 7 go and only 4 come in the squad is fairly think ATM already

I mean, A few I listed don't play anyway so won't be missed. Blind and Darmian, for instance, barely make the bench anymore...

De Bruyne has 14 Pogba has 9  how is that more ? but it sounded good while you where lieing :)

Read what i said again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

De Bruyne has 14 Pogba has 9 how is that more ? but it sounded good while you where lieing :)

What are you talking about? Bangkok was clearly not referring to present stats. He said multiple times about previously, and not too long ago.

Back in January 18th Pogba was tied as top assist provider in the top 5 European league on 9 assists, with a lot less games than some of the others like Bangkok stated.

Paul Pogba, Manchester United: 13 Premier League appearances
    Neymar, Paris Saint-Germain: 14 Ligue 1 appearances
    Philipp Max, FC Augsburg: 18 Bundesliga appearances
    Pione Sisto, Celta Vigo: 19 La Liga appearances
    Leroy Sane, Manchester City: 21 Premier League appearances
    Florian Thauvin, Olympique de Marseille: 21 Ligue 1 appearances
    Kevin De Bruyne, Manchester City: 23 Premier League appearances

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2018/Jan/Paul-Pogba-has-best-assist-record-in-top-five-European-leagues.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pogba was a key player in winning leagues and making the CL final with Juventus. He made the FIFA world X1 a few years ago.
    He was sold for a world record fee. Comparing him to Renato f*cking Sanchez is retarded.

• Advertisement

Pogba was a key player in winning leagues and making the CL final with Juventus. He made the FIFA world X1 a few years ago.
    He was sold for a world record fee. Comparing him to Renato f*cking Sanchez is retarded.

TBF saying what he did as a youngster at under age levels is equally useless to the current debate on how good people think he is

Comparing him to Veron and Di Maria is fair, they were quality players that for their own reasons couldn't fit in at Old Trafford.

If it comes down to it, if the issue is that he doesn't get on with Jose and doesn't fit into a Jose team (Ala Mata at Chelsea) then I'm sorry but I'm backing Jose. We know Jose can make championship winning squads, we don't know if Pogba's issues at United are ALL down to the manager or that he will ever fullfill his potential at United.

united are 2nd under the management of Jose in spite of a misfiring Pogba and sanchez, it would be amazing to think what might happen if they can both sort out whatever is causing them to play so poorly!

Edit: If you think about Mata and his relationship with Jose, it shows that a quality player can learn to patch up whatever issues they have with Jose. Not just that, Mata was playing superb (player of the season for Chelsea several times?) when Chelsea let him go. When Jose joined his days looked numbered but he made a role for himself in the team and worked hard. I'm not sure if a player like Pogba has the intelligence in his locker. Its not an insult, more an observation because despite the fact he has been asked to play a role he is not comfortable in, most agree he should be capable of putting in a decent shift which we aren't seeing.

TBF saying what he did as a youngster at under age levels is equally useless to the current debate on how good people think he is

The post questioned what has he done for France.

The answer is, quit a ****ing lot actually.

It wasn't some metric by me showing how amazing he is. To be honest I'm not even entertaining some of the posters here who are talking about Pogba in certain times as its clearly just a waste of my fingertips engaging. There is some minds made up and nothing will change some, so no point engaging.

Anyways pogba didnt even start the game last night. Fellaini and matic started the game last night and were both slow with the ball, lethargic and generally poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sanchez has actually been playing as though he's a competition winner or something. Still manages to whine a lot too. He's been given a lot of freedom and has not delivered at all. Shouldn't be playing anywhere other than as a high up left or right wing forward tasked with putting the ball in the net imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Another overhaul that will get us nowhere fast. To borrow from my post on Redcafe, a brief overview of our transfers from the last few years...

13/14: Mata. "This will be the catalyst to push Moyes' team on." Nope.

14/15: Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Blind, Shaw, Rojo. "Fecking incredible window. United are back!" Nope.

15/16: Martial, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian. "The midfield is finally sorted. This is it." Nope.

16/17: Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Bailly. "Stuff of dreams. Fifa-esque transfer window. We're back to the elite." Nope.

17/18: Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof. "Excellent window. Spine of the team hugely strengthened! Wait, Sanchez?! Watch out, Europe!" Nope.

Another summer of spunking money everywhere will accomplish fúck all, just like it has for the last 4/5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anyways pogba didnt even start the game last night. Fellaini and matic started the game last night and were both slow with the ball, lethargic and generally poor

I think the issue is both of them started while Pogba and Mata were both also benched. We had no creative passing or agressive passing to the front line, just a lot of running in that frontline.

Had Pogba or Mata been in for Lingard or Sanchez, I think the balance in attack would have been better.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    De Bruyne has 14 Pogba has 9  how is that more ? but it sounded good while you where lieing :)

What are you talking about? Bangkok was clearly not referring to present stats. He said multiple times about previously, and not too long ago.

Back in January 18th Pogba was tied as top assist provider in the top 5 European league on 9 assists, with a lot less games than some of the others like Bangkok stated.

Paul Pogba, Manchester United: 13 Premier League appearances
    Neymar, Paris Saint-Germain: 14 Ligue 1 appearances
    Philipp Max, FC Augsburg: 18 Bundesliga appearances
    Pione Sisto, Celta Vigo: 19 La Liga appearances
    Leroy Sane, Manchester City: 21 Premier League appearances
    Florian Thauvin, Olympique de Marseille: 21 Ligue 1 appearances
    Kevin De Bruyne, Manchester City: 23 Premier League appearances

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2018/Jan/Paul-Pogba-has-best-assist-record-in-top-five-European-leagues.aspx
    At one stage United where level with City at the top of the table too,
    Its embarrassing the lengths people go to defend Pogba, hes been bang average for two years, Every one can see get over it lads,
    Or is the whole world not seeing something different,

The post questioned what has he done for France.

The answer is, quit a ****ing lot actually.

It wasn't some metric by me showing how amazing he is. To be honest I'm not even entertaining some of the posters here who are talking about Pogba in certain times as its clearly just a waste of my fingertips engaging. There is some minds made up and nothing will change some, so no point engaging.

O sorry Doc wasn't having a go at you just meant it led to the Sanchez comparison and doesn't prove much in terms or his current ability but I do know you didn't suggest that.

Pogba has been disappointing.

So has Lukaku til recently. So has sanchez. So has Rashford for a good chunk. So has Martial. So has Mkhitaryan (now gone, obvs).

How many attacking players have to perform poorly before people maybe question the tactics and training they are all given. maybe the manager is to blame for all of our attacking players being disappointing.

Thought they worked very well as a pairing in midfield especially defensively, Fellaini was able to get forward and add attacking threat at times and had some good half chances. Left no gaping holes to get at the back line. 0-0 when they were on the pitch together too :pac:

Thought they worked very well as a pairing in midfield especially defensively, Fellaini was able to get forward and add attacking threat at times and had some good half chances. Left no gaping holes to get at the back line. 0-0 when they were on the pitch together too :pac:

When the rumours were Pogba coming in for McTominay I said I'd have prefered for Matic and McTominay to start with either Pogba beside them or with Mata/Rash/Sanchez ahead of them, behind them.

When I heard Fellaini was starting I didn't really have an issue with it - same job I wanted McTominay doing. My problem was the lack of passing in those two and Rash/Sanchez/Lingard. One of those three should have been out for Mata or Pogba.

When Pogba came on it should have been for one of them - not for Fellaini. If Fellaini needed to be replaced it should have been McTominay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So has Lukaku til recently.

Ok, this is fair to say... but what are the aspects of the disappointment for both?

Work rate and attitude for me has always been decent regards to Lukaku.
    Can people say the same about Pogba?

"Oh he's done a lot of France", "oh he was excellent for Juventus", "oh he's class and anyone that doesn't see that is an idiot", "oh he's won this and that"

That's great! Brilliant. But, your team needs you, put in a shift, roll up your sleaves, stop prouncing around like a show pony and grab a game by the balls, or push on your team. Not that type of player or needs other players doesn't cut it for me if the effort/passion isn't there.

He's been poor, but his attitude and work ethic has to be questioned big time. I cannot say the same about Lukaku, Rashford or even Sanchez. They look like they're giving 100% or near to it everytime.

Its embarrassing the lengths people go to defend Pogba, hes been bang average for two years, Every one can see get over it lads,

I agree. Average and yet still has 9 assists this season. Imagine he was good or even brilliant

When the rumours were Pogba coming in for McTominay I said I'd have prefered for Matic and McTominay to start with either Pogba beside them or with Mata/Rash/Sanchez ahead of them, behind them.

When I heard Fellaini was starting I didn't really have an issue with it - same job I wanted McTominay doing. My problem was the lack of passing in those two and Rash/Sanchez/Lingard. One of those three should have been out for Mata or Pogba.

When Pogba came on it should have been for one of them - not for Fellaini. If Fellaini needed to be replaced it should have been McTominay.

Ya when I saw Pobga coming on I thought it was probably for Sanchez I can understand Fellaini needing to go off after 60 with recent injuries and all that but your dead right it should have been McTominay coming on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    Sanchez has actually been playing as though he's a competition winner or something. Still manages to whine a lot too. He's been given a lot of freedom and has not delivered at all. Shouldn't be playing anywhere other than as a high up left or right wing forward tasked with putting the ball in the net imo.

Compare it to Seville who could free up Correa and if anything under use him based on how easy he got past his defender. His position took Valencia out of the game going forward (with Young getting over double the ball Val had).

Sanchez ended up playing narrow and in areas the suited Seville who had lots of players around him.

I agree. Average and yet still has 9 assists this season. Imagine he was good or even brilliant
    I wouldn't get to excited about his assist go watch them more than half are crackers from players he has given the ball to, not like all 9 where put on plate, ,

Nalz wrote: »
    He's been poor, but his attitude and work ethic has to be questioned big time. I cannot say the same about Lukaku, Rashford or even Sanchez. They look like they're giving 100% or near to it everytime.

Is it his personal ethic though?

It's abundantly noticable, last night, but generally under Mourinho, our team don't perform any press in the opposition third, or the middle of the pitch. We have a very clear a defined tactic to let the opposition move to about 20-25 years, where we then collectively press the ball and force the opposition to shuttle out wide.

From early on last night, we sat of Nzonzi and Banega. I gathered it was some attempt to break and counter attack. Jose LOVES the "transition" phase and its where he believes attacks build from and eventually conclude.

So I get the issues around Pogba and his lethargic look and yes, he does fail to track back properly at times.

But there is also an overarching issue in the team, from the tactics, that we have no intensity on the opponent for 2/3'rds of the pitch. It changes marginally in games against weaker teams but its generally the same.

I believe it's noticable because you can see when players get annoyed by the tactic, and they begin to press themselves. And it's a totally isolated thing and not cohesive as a unit.

It's not a defence of Pogba, but I think it might well be easy sometimes to believe he's not bothered. But the reality is Matic does the same. I thought it was incredibly evident last night with the space we just conceeded, but the reality is we have generally done it for going on two seasons now, bar the odd game here and there.

And its madness, because I think we look best when we play quickly. And when we press cohesively and turn over the ball, where our pace in attack can start making darting runs and turn the opposition.

Major problem at the moment is Mourinho believes the best part of the pitch to do this is our defensive third. When pretty much all recent strategies and tactics have identified the best place is the opposing third.

That is a pretty simple change that I think would provide a massive sea change both in the performance of our team and attack, and also the manager himself adopting a new outlook on one of his core principles, which is the transition or turnover of possesion

Also there was no justifiable argument for starting Fellaini. Absolutely none.

If Mourinho sat there in the week and decided to play Fellaini to nullify the height of Nzoni from corners and kickouts, he should be marched out the door and fired immediately for gross negligence. And that is the only reason I can fathom why he would break the teams recent momentum to start Fellaini for the first time since like, before Christmas.

Sevilla at home is a game you impose yourself entirely on the opposition. The first leg told enough of a story, even for all our concession this was a smack bang average team. And they were average again last night, but again made to look better by our as some posters have described, cowardly approach.

Also there was no justifiable argument for starting Fellaini. Absolutely none.

If Mourinho sat there in the week and decided to play Fellaini to nullify the height of Nzoni from corners and kickouts, he should be marched out the door and fired immediately for gross negligence. And that is the only reason I can fathom why he would break the teams recent momentum to start Fellaini for the first time since like, before Christmas.

Sevilla at home is a game you impose yourself entirely on the opposition. The first leg told enough of a story, even for all our concession this was a smack bang average team. And they were average again last night, but again made to look better by our as some posters have described, cowardly approach.

Nzonzi said after the game he couldnt believe how much space they were given in midfield

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So has Lukaku til recently. So has sanchez. So has Rashford for a good chunk. So has Martial. So has Mkhitaryan (now gone, obvs).

How many attacking players have to perform poorly before people maybe question the tactics and training they are all given. maybe the manager is to blame for all of our attacking players being disappointing.

The manager is to blame for how they are used for sure.

Why does he use them that way? Jose knows how to set up attackers and give them a good foundation. I can only guess it is the foundation he is worried about and it is not good enough. It may be argued he has not coached and established a good enough foundation.

For me, how can we look at Lukaku or Sanchez as the problem on a day Ashley Young received the ball more than anyone except Matic. Seville top 3 were Banega, NZonzi and Vasquez, their central players. I think Young received more passes than their full backs put together.

It is the ball movement from back to front that is letting the attackers down. They have no platform to work from and have to come for the ball, create, score and do it all. It is why I think Jose wanted Pogba to play deeper, to take the ball from a guy like Smalling and get the team moving.

Compared even to Seville, United's base from a defending and ball movement side is awful.

Midfield comparison: Banega, Vasquez and NZonzi had half the total teams passes (245 of 492). Matic, Fellaini/Pogba, Sanchez had only a third of Uniteds passes (175 of 519).

What is he point of a Sanchez playing relatively central and deep if he is rarely on the ball.

Defence: Seville back four 123 passes of 492 (25%)
    United back four 200 of 519 (38%).

How can United have that back four with almost 40 percent of passes for the team? They don't have any passing quality as a group.

Seville had control centrally, United had nothing in that area, and it is not a new thing either.

@Lord TSC

All this just makes me sad and want to get the new FM game to prove something :D:D

Latest version any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The same post, almost word for word. What is the point in anybody providing any level of defence for your erudite and salient riposte of "he's bang average lads, shur de whole world can see it"?

He has fluctuated between been excellent and awful. If inconsistency means bang average and wotthy of comparison to Renato ****ing Sanches, then you're spot on. Otherwise, please provide some other level of evidence and some examples rather than repeating cliches and rhetoric over and over again.

@Lord TSC

All this just makes me sad and want to get the new FM game to prove something :D:D

Latest version any use?

They ****ing butchered scouting which was my favorite part of the game. :( They tried to make it more complicated, but in the process, made some weird decisions. Parts of it are better, parts of it are frustratingly worse. Rest is the same game it always was.

Just realized, my laptop died which means all my old FM saves are gone too. My save where Icardi scored 50 goals in a season, gone forever. The save where i had Ronaldo and Messi up front, gone. Excuse to start a new save though, I guess.

• Advertisement

They ****ing butchered scouting which was my favorite part of the game. :( They tried to make it more complicated, but in the process, made some weird decisions. Parts of it are better, parts of it are frustratingly worse. Rest is the same game it always was.

Just realized, my laptop died which means all my old FM saves are gone too. My save where Icardi scored 50 goals in a season, gone forever. The save where i had Ronaldo and Messi up front, gone. Excuse to start a new save though, I guess.

Not using Steams Cloud saves?

Hmm, maybe I'll just fire up last years. Edit the DB maybe to have the current squad.

Or go back to 2016 and live the Memphis dream again :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement