Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Drumpot wrote: »
    But all the other top teams in Europe have Squads of players who have been consistently challanging for top honors. United’s squad hasn’t since 2013.

Add two proper full backs and a Verratti type player to the midfield and that squad is as good as anything out there. I'm still amazed that our first choice full backs are converted wingers from Fergies era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TheDoc wrote: »
    His departure from Inter and start at Real Madrid is like a point on a graph where something changed. And I think that change was he brought himself, his character, style and methods to clubs that were bigger than him. Clubs that had tradition and expectations. And Clubs with staff, players, fans or directors who felt what was happening before them was an abomination of tradition. Then couple on top the fact he's a prick. And that even includes Chelsea second time round. They had expectations of success, forged from his own first stint.

Also people always mention Porto as his start. He started at clubs before then, with some pretty well documented fallouts and damage.

It's what he is, what he always does and no one is(or should) be surprised or shocked by it.

You put up with his general nonsense and frustrating demeanour because he delivers meaningful success and trophies. But when that is not happening, all you have left is a scornful man unable to aportion any blame to himself, so as he starts to point the finger around he starts to fracture the very siege he creates himself in the first place and the club implodes around him.

As much as we can say with certainty that Pep will have another 2-3 years at City before he leaves from burnout or wanting a new challenge, we know Mourinho wont last more than 1-2 seasons before it all turns toxic.

And to be honest where else is there to go after United. PSG? As much as people see that as the obvious link he won't last a season there in the current climate of Neymar ruling all.

Portugal national team?

Dip down a tier of team where his existing methods will be more receptive and appreciated, if he drags a club upward?

Or he can just change and adapt. Someone can grab him and shake him until he realises he needs to change. And he could have every chance of building something special here.

But he won't if he doesnt change significantly and thats where the parody element I talk about comes from. Managers like him become so defensive and protective of their methods they will rail against the critique, and its all about winning "his way" as opposed to just winning.

I'd be able to cope with having a gigantic prick for a manager, if there was some tangible return coming from it.

And that is not to say there hasn't we've won some stuff. But on the whole, and well you know my stance, I havn't bought into the "improvement" part of things as much as others. We have improved for sure, but we should be much further ahead in the cycle then we currently are.

Milan is the perfect job for him
    No way he take the Milan job, there to far behind the top teams in Italy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do you think he's been held back in the transfer market though ? I don't think he has. I think in his earlier stints as manager of Porto, Inter Milan and his first time at Chelsea he did well and was thought well of but I don't believe we're looking at that at his positions at Chelsea (2nd time) and Madrid and with Utd. He's lost something imo.

But the United squad he inherited has zero pedigree with regards to the league or champions league.

If a manager took over any top club, it’s usually a good chance that that club won the league within a season or two. It’s also a club that has been buying big for years and is used to rotating managers for years.

United has only started to spend big in the last few years. Not just that, they don’t spend more then their major rivals city or European super powers.

I don’t think Jose taking over United in the state it was in is comparable with other top clubs who haven’t been struggling to adapt to an alternative transfer strategy (spend big) and at the same time the loss of the head coach who had everything in the club setup for them. Lastly the club lost Gill who worked so well with SAF.

So the clubs transfer policy, ceo and manager had to change in one season. I remember when Peter Kenyon left for Chelsea and he got players for Chelsea who united had targeted. Essien and Robben being two I can think of off the top of my head.

This set united back a couple of seasons while SAF tried to steady the ship.

Add two proper full backs and a Verratti type player to the midfield and that squad is as good as anything out there. I'm still amazed that our first choice full backs are converted wingers from Fergies era

Maybe a top Central defender to partner Bailly and I agree.

I think Jose has done a great job building up a proper squad and has identified weakness (particularly character) that is lacking.

Look at Real Madrid In Spain or the last few premier league winners season after winning the league. Motivating league champions to try and retain their trophy seems to be extremely difficult nowadays. It’s easy to forget that Chelsea are the champions of England! It shows how far a quality team can fall with a drop in motivation or intensity. How small Margins can make such a huge difference and I think that can apply to united. I feel we are getting there.

I think , like you, couple more signings will make all the difference to quality of play and fragile confidence that seems to exist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maybe a top Central defender to partner Bailly and I agree.

I think Jose has done a great job building up a proper squad and has identified weakness (particularly character) that is lacking.

Look at Real Madrid In Spain or the last few premier league winners season after winning the league. Motivating league champions to try and retain their trophy seems to be extremely difficult nowadays. It’s easy to forget that Chelsea are the champions of England! It shows how far a quality team can fall with a drop in motivation or intensity. How small Margins can make such a huge difference and I think that can apply to united. I feel we are getting there.

I think , like you, couple more signings will make all the difference to quality of play and fragile confidence that seems to exist.

Blind, Darmian, Herrera, Rojo, Shaw, Martial, Mata, Feelaini, Pogba, Lindelof, Miki, Bastian, Depay, Morgan, Sanchez, Lukaku, Ibra.....

Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose....

Changes at United were so fast, too scatterred, too 'messy'.

The Van Gaal two years in particular were hugely damaging as that time, by board, manager whoever saw so many players go out and so many come in.

Jose has tried to slow things down, relied on a lot of old United players and the ones he brought in.

I really think, for the future, another year of Jose is best for the club to change at a better pace and try to build with him or the next manager. Even a change for one of the popular names now will still need more changes in players.

It is in many ways a mess, yet, in results a success relative to the three years before Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

But all the other top teams in Europe have Squads of players who have been consistently challanging for top honors. United’s squad hasn’t since 2013.

I think that's definitely an argument you can make. I don't want Jose gone yet but after the summer transfer window, the playing style and ambition has to change as I personally don't think that's an argument that will hold much water any more. He will have had plenty of time, and transfer windows, to address the squad and team issues and it will be really his squad then.

Also, i think this is the third manager in a row tasked with getting results while overseeing big changes.

So far, none have played a swashbuckle style that anyone can say is the exact way they want to play. They have all tried to get the team playing in a way that gets results but not with a full group they really believe in.

Jose, to his credit has got the best results for what the board wants. Champions League qualification and trophies.

Van Gaal, for his faults, was so very close to another season despite the questions about his style.

Even Moyes was trying to deal with the ulitmate in change, SAF, the end of the core group of players like Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Carrick, Rooney.

Ulimately the current situation is due to he people running the club, despite making cash available, despite the brilliant work as a business, the football side was not looked after right.

BenK wrote: »
    I think that's definitely an argument you can make. I don't want Jose gone yet but after the summer transfer window, the playing style and ambition has to change as I personally don't think that's an argument that will hold much water any more. He will have had plenty of time, and transfer windows, to address the squad and team issues and it will be really his squad then.

I’m not sure the playing style will change a huge amount but it will become way more effective. Going a goal up in most games will be pretty much a nailed on victory. Teams will fear attacking united , particularly smaller teams so the likes of Seville having that amount of possession at Old Trafford won’t happen.

The team will gain in confidence and belief , something of which I feel has been missing since SAF left. As such they will have more possession and attack with more authority and efficiency. It will look like a more attacking outfit and will be in some cases but it will be a more finely tuned efficient version of what we get now. We will regularly thump teams 3-0 so most people won’t care that it’s not swashbuckling!That’s what I think anyway.

With regards to transfers it has to be all about what the FIRST team needs. I know it’s only my hunch but I am not convinced that all club signings are about enhancing the first team. Buying youngsters is ok when you are bringing them into a settled , proven side, this is not what we have at united. I also think that marketable players should not be any factor in a player joining the club. Given the fact the one thing the owners excel at is marketing the club, I do feel that some signings might of been made with the marketing potential of a player as a primary consideration, that needs to be the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

DM_7 wrote: »
    Also, i think this is the third manager in a row tasked with getting results while overseeing big changes.

Welcome to how every other club is run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Feeling a little less gloomy today. Still so incredibly frustrated.

On paper, we're still having our best PL campaign in years. We're still in the FA Cup. We got knocked out of the CL a round earlier than i expected, against a team I believe we should have steam rolled. I still believe we've progressed this season compared to last, even if it is nowhere near as much as I believe we should have. Given Jose's reactions to the team dropping deep against Pool, I don't believe he's happy with that sort of thing either. Mind, he's also the one instructing them not to push up and to go route one at times.

I can't say anyone presented me a viable, realistic alternative that would make me think Jose could be easily replaced. Pretty much every name offered had a massive question mark over their head in some form. So does Jose. But Jose is in, and I really don't have the energy to think of restarting all over again this summer. I also don't think there's a chance he gets sacked when he gets top 4; we've established missing the CL is what gets managers sacked, and I don't think the board will sack Jose for second and out of the CL a round earlier than expected.

I also think the problems that hit is in the Sevilla game weren't new; other than the result, nothing was on display that I hadn't already accepted still needed to be fixed and I'm hopeful it will be in the summer; new full backs and two new midfielders as well.

Think Astra said though. . . .wish the season was just over now. Let us get to summer, see about getting the final few pieces needed in. The bar has been risen on a multitude of levels this season for next.

On touch site so cant quote, but on your last bit i'd want a few pieces out before in, to many players taking the piss that just aren't good enough.
    Blind, Darmien, Rojo, Herrera,
    2 are defenders with 1 converted, which is insane when you think about it. What the hell happened to Herrera also, once touted as club captain by some.

• Advertisement

How long has our lack of attacking options on the right flank been ignored? Every player we have in forward positions seems to be shoehorned into the left. No balance in the attack and lately we've seen Lukaku having to move out there himself to do a job. Our attack has 2 dimensions,go down the left or direct down the field to Lukaku and hope to profit from the second ball off him.

This!
    Our right side has been so flawed, everthing we do comes down the left

AidoEirE wrote: »
    What the hell happened to Herrera also, once touted as club captain by some.

That is a very good question. I know he is injured at moment but he’s been available most of the season.

When you factor in at start of Season our main central midfielders were matic , Fellani, Herrera McTominey, Pogba it looked like we would be ok. But with Carrick and Fellani effectively missing for most of the Season it’s shocking that Herrera hasn’t had a look in especially given the performances he had been putting in. He also comes across as a player with a good attitude which makes it all the more baffling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know there's been talks of Herrera and the whole match fixing thing over his head. You could see the frustration in him the last day when he hurt himself too. There seems to just be some mad issue there we aren't aware of.

I'd see Smalling gone before Rojo tbh.

Shaw, Darmian, Blind sold.

Carrick and Ibra off the wages too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We need a new left back and centre back, possibly a right back, a central midfielder or three and maybe an attacking player.

We aren't going to get all that, so it will be interesting to see what we do go for.

Left Back certainly.
    Central Mid certainly, maybe two, if Fellaini leaves along with Carrick - can also see Herrera being moved on, shocking season.

Matich, Pogba, McTominay and two signings needed, imo. Would be happy to see Pereira given a real shot here but I think refusing to fight for a spot this season will have killed him in Jose's eyes.

I think we need a partner for Bailly, but Jose might feel he can get by (again) with Jones/Rojo and Fosu-Mensah. Can see Smalling being sold.
    I could also see Jose sticking with Valencia for one more season and giving Fosu-Mensah a shot at right back too, if he feels he needs to budget the money into other positions.

Up front we have Lukaku central, then Jose being happy to use Lingard, Mata, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez in rotation in the other spots.

Personally I want to see us go to a proper 3 man midfield. Puts a premium on positions in the front line - so unless someone (Martial/Mata) moves on I don't see space for a signing.

That is a very good question. I know he is injured at moment but he’s been available most of the season.

When you factor in at start of Season our main central midfielders were matic , Fellani, Herrera McTominey, Pogba it looked like we would be ok. But with Carrick and Fellani effectively missing for most of the Season it’s shocking that Herrera hasn’t had a look in especially given the performances he had been putting in. He also comes across as a player with a good attitude which makes it all the more baffling.

He's been rubbish most times he has played this season. Maassive disappointment.

I would have had our best 11 at the start of the season being:

De Gea
    Valencia-Bailly-Rojo--Shaw
    ----Herrera-Matic-Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Rashford
    Lukaku.

Massively disappointed this season in Herrera, Mkhitaryan and that Shaw hasn't been able to make left back his.

On paper, now, I would have same basic team but:

De Gea
    Valencia-Bailly-Rojo--Young
    --Herrera-Matic-Pogba
    Sanchez
    Rashford
    Lukaku

However, McTOminay deserves to start ahead of Herrera and it would be a toss up as to whether you drop Pogba or Sanchez for Mata.

We need a new left back and centre back, possibly a right back, a central midfielder or three and maybe an attacking player.

We aren't going to get all that, so it will be interesting to see what we do go for.

There's a few articles, enough to make me think it's a mini-briefing, saying we want a full back, center back (Umtiti or Alderweild being named as top targets) and at least one center mid (Fred being the name going round)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"Of course I would like to win some trophies but not for myself but to deliver it for the fans," added Pochettino.

"I am not an egocentric person who likes to win titles to put on my shoulder. Always in football it is about winning but how is also important too. That is my point of view. But in terms of the project I think we are doing fantastic."

Poch having a dig at jose

bangkok wrote: »
    "Of course I would like to win some trophies but not for myself but to deliver it for the fans," added Pochettino.

"I am not an egocentric person who likes to win titles to put on my shoulder. Always in football it is about winning but how is also important too. That is my point of view. But in terms of the project I think we are doing fantastic."

Poch having a dig at jose

And how many trophies has Poch won "for the fans" with that mindset?

I know there's been talks of Herrera and the whole match fixing thing over his head. You could see the frustration in him the last day when he hurt himself too. There seems to just be some mad issue there we aren't aware of.

I'd see Smalling gone before Rojo tbh.

Shaw, Darmian, Blind sold.

Carrick and Ibra off the wages too.

Smalling id keep as he's had better games than bad. Had the most CB partnership's at the club the last 5/6 years

• Advertisement

Smalling id keep as he's had better games than bad. Had the most CB partnership's at the club the last 5/6 years

why bother keeping him though? Just more dead wood.

I don't think we can rely on him - do you?

if we sign a centre back to partner Bailly then why why would we keep Smalling, or would you look at moving on Jones/Rojo instead?

If we were to sign Alderweild for example - we'd have Bailly, Alderweild, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe. What would you do with that group, or do you feel a CB signing isn't needed?

I'd go Alderweild, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah. Tuanzebe possibly on loan to Villa (if they get promoted).

Lindelof only over Jones cause Jose might still feel there is a top player in Lindelof and doesn't want to give up on his own signing so quickly. Not sure there would be enough games/rotation planned to sign a new CB and keep more than 1 from Smalling, Jones, Rojo.

why bother keeping him though? Just more dead wood.

I don't think we can rely on him - do you?

if we sign a centre back to partner Bailly then why why would we keep Smalling, or would you look at moving on Jones/Rojo instead?

If we were to sign Alderweild for example - we'd have Bailly, Alderweild, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe. What would you do with that group, or do you feel a CB signing isn't needed?

I'd go Alderweild, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah. Tuanzebe possibly on loan to Villa (if they get promoted).

Lindelof only over Jones cause Jose might still feel there is a top player in Lindelof and doesn't want to give up on his own signing so quickly. Not sure there would be enough games/rotation planned to sign a new CB and keep more than 1 from Smalling, Jones, Rojo.

Rojo is rarsh and you dont know what rojo will turn up, jones when fit is solid but consistently injured. I dont know why these two get free passes on the cb posistion. Jones is constantly injured every single season, had 2 good months and its all forgotten about. Rojo is a wildcard.
    Smalling is consistely fit, has mistakes but will have 6-7/10 performance most matches. Not great but point is he's there for selection where as the other teo are not
    ( im not a big smalling fan, but put him there he'll fo ajob)

And how many trophies has Poch won "for the fans" with that mindset?

He said he would like to win them.

Few of my mates are spurs fans and they are delighted with poch

Rojo is rarsh and you dont know what rojo will turn up, jones when fit is solid but consistently injured. I dont know why these two get free passes on the cb posistion. Jones is constantly injured every single season, had 2 good months and its all forgotten about. Rojo is a wildcard.
    Smalling is consistely fit, has mistakes but will have 6-7/10 performance most matches. Not great but point is he's there for selection where as the other teo are not
    ( im not a big smalling fan, but put him there he'll fo ajob)

I'd ship all three of them out, to be honest. But I think Jose is a big fan of Jones for starters, so that is why I don't see him moving on. Rojo is another battler and another I think has won Jose over - I think Bailly and Rojo could have been first choice this season in Jose's mind, if not for injuries.

Also, while I think we need to, and will, sign a left back - I think Rojo being left footed will give him a 'backup left back' spot in the squad too. Not that I actually like him at left back!

I think Smalling would be the first on the chopping block, wether others would follow him out the door I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Of course they are same as Liverpool are delighted with klopp they are not under pressure to win trophies all they have to do is play nice football.

When have they proper challenged for a trophy without bottling it.

Put pochitino in charge of a bigger club where there is pressure and you could get a total different manager.

I like him i think he is a decent manager but he is in no position to be making digs.

United need to add to the ones Jose is okay.

I think Smalling stays. Rojo did well for him before so will get more chances to be part of the team. At best he gets back in, at worst he is part of the squad and is there if needed. Shaw will probably get another chance to improve.

I think Carrick, Ibra, Blind, Darmian, Fellaini is enough out. The fact only one would start games right now makes it an okay level of change.

• Advertisement

I'd ship all three of them out, to be honest. But I think Jose is a big fan of Jones for starters, so that is why I don't see him moving on. Rojo is another battler and another I think has won Jose over - I think Bailly and Rojo could have been first choice this season in Jose's mind, if not for injuries.

Also, while I think we need to, and will, sign a left back - I think Rojo being left footed will give him a 'backup left back' spot in the squad too. Not that I actually like him at left back!

I think Smalling would be the first on the chopping block, wether others would follow him out the door I don't know.

Agree with that and your probably spot on, but would argue smalling has won over mourinho than most of us would think.
    Would prefer to see jones out first and then depending on what siginings are madeor who is staying then decidide on rojo/smalling. Think another loan season for fosu mensah could do him much better than coming back next season.

RB is a must and the LB is up in the air. Shaw or no shaw, keep rojo and thats potentially 3 that can play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Everton were happy with Moyes too;)

RB is a must and the LB is up in the air.

I'd argue the other way around - can't be going into next season with Young as first choice LB again and we are seeing nothing to suggest Shaw is going to take the spot.

At right back you have the guy Jose sees as a captain and is relatively dependable - but with zero back up. Fosu-Mensah coming back into the squad next season (if not loaned again or sold) provides competition/alternative at right back.

I'd argue the other way around - can't be going into next season with Young as first choice LB again and we are seeing nothing to suggest Shaw is going to take the spot.

At right back you have the guy Jose sees as a captain and is relatively dependable - but with zero back up. Fosu-Mensah coming back into the squad next season (if not loaned again or sold) provides competition/alternative at right back.

Up in the air as in if he keeps shaw, then he has to be first choice LB going into next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did anyone post the "Jones to Everton" rumours?

• Advertisement

I will drive him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I will drive him

I wont listen to these sort of comments regarding Phil.

H3kuPv5.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No Jones or Smalling in the England squad.

Uniteds trip to cheltenham cancelled after champions league exit. Id say moral is at an all time low in the squad under jose

J. Marston wrote: »
    No Jones or Smalling in the England squad.

Southgate doesnt rate smalling. Says he only wants players who can pass the ball out

I'd imagine Rojo secured his place in the squad the day he went "marauding, bare chested" to Jose's defense after the City game. He'll only go if he personally wants to move.

Uniteds trip to cheltenham cancelled after champions league exit. Id say moral is at an all time low in the squad under jose

The players were given the day off they cancelled it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Probably my biggest frustration with Mourinho is his conservative approach to every game his team plays. I fully understand his approach to the Liverpool game last week and imo his team carried it out to perfection. Liverpool while having the ball didn't create cos they weren't allowed to. Mourinho will set up like that for pretty much every game we play though. I refuse to believe Seville are anywhere near the standard of a Utd team playing proper offensive football. When did we start fearing every single team we play like we seem to do nowadays ? The first 8 or 10 games in the league we played quick counter attacking football but we're a world away from that since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Probably my biggest frustration with Mourinho is his conservative approach to every game his team plays. I fully understand his approach to the Liverpool game last week and imo his team carried it out to perfection. Liverpool while having the ball didn't create cos they weren't allowed to. Mourinho will set up like that for pretty much every game we play though. I refuse to believe Seville are anywhere near the standard of a Utd team playing proper offensive football. When did we start fearing every single team we play like we seem to do nowadays ? The first 8 or 10 games in the league we played quick counter attacking football but we're a world away from that since then.

Even the Liverpool performance was disappointing in the sense that it pretty much relied on getting favourable breaks from punting long balls to Lukaku. Considering their midfield that day it was disappointing that that was our gameplan at home in Old Trafford. Yeah we kept them quiet at the other end for the most part and got 2 goals but that sort of approach can so easily just end in a dour 0-0 (like it did at Anfield or against Sevilla) or even a defeat (like against City or Chelsea at Stamford Bridge) if the ref felt the need to give even one of the three penalty shouts Liverpool had.

Just want to say I love deaddonkey :) he/she is one of our own. Xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I'd be absolutely delighted if we got first team quality for left back, central defence and midfield in the summer.

I think the central defender needs to be very comfortable bringing the ball out of defence as this will help setting up attacks. I can't take much more of Smalling turning like a truck and making every pass he does so predictable for the opposition.

Whatever people might think, Jose clearly does not rate Shaw so left back is crucial too. As solid as Young has been in some games (while being quite poor in some also) he can't be starting next season. Credit to him for working his way into the team under the last 2 managers when he was initially deemed not good enough but I think his time is up. We need a player with pace who can keep width and deliver a good cross. Any one know where a young Dani Alves could be found!?

I think a midfield player that makes things tick over is so important as well, someone like Alonso, Scholes, Kroos etc. Where that gettable player is I'm not sure but between central defence and midfield we don't have enough players who are good enough at keeping positive possession under pressure.

It would be fantastic if those positions could be addressed as I think the team would be completely transformed and other areas that currently look a little dysfunctional (the attack...) would start to look a lot better.

BenK wrote: »
    I'd be absolutely delighted if we got first team quality for left back, central defence and midfield in the summer.

I think the central defender needs to be very comfortable bringing the ball out of defence as this will help setting up attacks. I can't take much more of Smalling turning like a truck and making every pass he does so predictable for the opposition.

Whatever people might think, Jose clearly does not rate Shaw so left back is crucial too. As solid as Young has been in some games (while being quite poor in some also) he can't be starting next season. Credit to him for working his way into the team under the last 2 managers when he was initially deemed not good enough but I think his time is up. We need a player with pace who can keep width and deliver a good cross. Any one know where a young Dani Alves could be found!?

I think a midfield player that makes things tick over is so important as well, someone like Alonso, Scholes, Kroos etc. Where that gettable player is I'm not sure but between central defence and midfield we don't have enough players who are good enough at keeping positive possession under pressure.

It would be fantastic if those positions could be addressed as I think the team would be completely transformed and other areas that currently look a little dysfunctional (the attack...) would start to look a lot better.

Fosu mensah has had a very good loan spell, quick and can deliver a good cross.

Doesnt matter who we have in midfield seeing as long balls to lukaku seems to be our way of playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

So thats a big zero then eh?

Of course these spurs fan "friends" are happy with him, he has them legitimate top four contenders. Thats the bar, thats what makes them happy.

Once they start to get notions and expect league challenges they will change their tune from the manager, and the players. You think a top manager would get away with blowing a golden opportunity to win the league a couple of years back? A top team? Not a chance the fans would be happy in that scenario.

Poch has a low bar, he is exceeding that. Fantastic, Moyes had a low bar too. did well with it. If you don't notice a difference in expectation level (when the manager at your own clubs head is being called for by the likes of you even though we are second in the league, season on season improvement and behind an unbelievably good and consistent City team) then there is no hope for you really or for any meaningful discussion regarding managers.

Edit: Apologies, hadn't seen Jayo's post. Spot on and painfully obvious.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So thats a big zero then eh?

Of course these spurs fan "friends" are happy with him, he has them legitimate top four contenders. Thats the bar, thats what makes them happy.

Once they start to get notions and expect league challenges they will change their tune from the manager, and the players. You think a top manager would get away with blowing a golden opportunity to win the league a couple of years back? A top team? Not a chance the fans would be happy in that scenario.

Poch has a low bar, he is exceeding that. Fantastic, Moyes had a low bar too. did well with it. If you don't notice a difference in expectation level (when the manager at your own clubs head is being called for by the likes of you even though we are second in the league, season on season improvement and behind an unbelievably good and consistent City team) then there is no hope for you really or for any meaningful discussion regarding managers.

Jose has a high bar and hasnt come anywhere near it.

2nd in the league but 16 points off city and by the end of season prob be over 20

Knocked out of league cup by bristol city and then got humiliated in the champions league by sevilla

Do you think we will be any closer to city next season? I cant see it

Ignoring the goalposts being shifted again.

I'd imagine if Jose had told he board before season started, we'd get a very comfortable second, still in the FA Cup and, yes, out a round earlier than expected in the CL, they'd have said he was close to the bar set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

2nd in the league but 16 points off city and by the end of season prob be over 20

Knocked out of league cup by bristol city and then got humiliated in the champions league by sevilla

Do you think we will be any closer to city next season? I cant see it

So you don't see that progress has been made in terms of league position? It's a while since we were second on paddy's day, progress is clear.

Going out to seville in the manner we did is obviously disappointing.

Why dont you think we will be closer to city next year? We have improved last year to this, why would that improvement halt? It's not as if we are losing to a rubbish City team, they are on course to break the points total.

Negativity for the sake of negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ignoring the goalposts being shifted again.

I'd imagine if Jose had told he board before season started, we'd get a very comfortable second, still in the FA Cup and, yes, out a round earlier than expected in the CL, they'd have said he was close to the bar set.
    I'd imagine Jose's main job would have been to secure automatic Champions League qualification.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd imagine Jose's main job would have been to secure automatic Champions League qualification.

That would have been a minimum.

I'd say the hope was top two, a domestic cup and QF of the Champions league.

VW 1 wrote: »

Why dont you think we will be closer to city next year? We have improved last year to this, why would that improvement halt? It's not as if we are losing to a rubbish City team, they are on course to break the points total.

Silver lining, they can't actually get much better either, we have a larger window of potential to improve than they do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That would have been a minimum.

I'd say the hope was top two, a domestic cup and QF of the Champions league.

The minimum but also the most important. A domestic cup and say a 5th place league finish wouldn't have been acceptable. Even a SF in the CL mightn't have sufficed if we were 5th in the League.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement