Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Off topic but the worst penalty decision you'll see this season, possibly ever, was just given in the Arsenal game.

Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

VW 1 wrote: »
    So you don't see that progress has been made in terms of league position? It's a while since we were second on paddy's day, progress is clear.

Going out to seville in the manner we did is obviously disappointing.

Why dont you think we will be closer to city next year? We have improved last year to this, why would that improvement halt? It's not as if we are losing to a rubbish City team, they are on course to break the points total.

Negativity for the sake of negativity.

Our football is awful to watch, majority of our players have gotten worse over the season, that is not progress. Already talking about 7 players out this season 4 in, anothr hectic summer, city have one of the best left backs in the world to come back into their teamand will prob add one or 2 more players all while playing football that is far beyond what we are playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Our football is awful to watch, majority of our players have gotten worse over the season, that is not progress. Already talking about 7 players out this season 4 in, anothr hectic summer, city have one of the best left backs in the world to come back into their teamand will prob add one or 2 more players all while playing football that is far beyond what we are playing

What do you actually suggest should happen then??? Sack the manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

:D As if City didn't have a hectic summer

Also, the likes of Darmian, Blind, Carrick, Ibra etc are hardly going to be big upheavel when they go in the summer. They have no effect on the squad now really.

A left back and two centre midfielders will be brought in, maybe another defender. Nothing else, if there is to be a cheap back up option to Lukaku he will probably try add that. These are needed to improve the first team, the squad is strong enough. Adding quality over quantity is the next step (in the PROCESS!!!!)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

jayo26 wrote: »

Because he will continue with the same tactics there will most likely be a parting somewhete down the line as the natives are not very content at the moment. Tuesday was abysmal, that squad is much better than what he is getting from them. Do you think it will be allowed to continue in the same vein ?

• Advertisement

In the summer yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There will surely be a parting down the line, regardless of what happens in the short-medium term.

Tuesday was abysmal, the players should be ashamed but they didn't look like it hurt enough at all. Maybe they just express it internally.

As to whether or not he will be allowed to continue in the same vein as where he has the squad, well....if he can arrest this slump in form of 3 wins on the bounce including Chelsea and Liverpool he may just avoid relegation and get another season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

In the summer yes

Who would we go for

As to whether or not he will be allowed to continue in the same vein as where he has the squad, well....if he can arrest this slump in form of 3 wins on the bounce including Chelsea and Liverpool he may just avoid relegation and get another season.

And don't forget we are second in the league ......

Hococop wrote: »
    Who would we go for

I posted the other day a list of names. Poch being no1

• Advertisement

Seen a good stat today, since pogba joined 2 years ago, he has more assists, more take ons completed and more chances created than any other player at united in the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Jose will get another season and I bet within that year the United board will be watching how Giggs manages and performs with Wales.

I personally wouldnt appoint Giggs but i feel the club would like the whole narrative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Jose will get another season and I bet within that year the United board will be watching how Giggs manages and performs with Wales.

I personally wouldnt appoint Giggs but i feel the club would like the whole narrative

Jaysus no, didn't even want him as Wales manager, wouldn't let him near the tea lady at OT, mind you, he's probably been there

secman wrote: »
    Because he will continue with the same tactics there will most likely be a parting somewhete down the line as the natives are not very content at the moment. Tuesday was abysmal, that squad is much better than what he is getting from them. Do you think it will be allowed to continue in the same vein ?

In the summer yes

Nope I don't think it will be allowed continue but I do think that if Jose gets well within top four this year and maybe add the fa cup or get to the final he should be given the third year to change it around.

I haven't had much problems with joses tactics just a few games and like most fans when we signed him we knew exactly what we are getting it's what made him successful it's what wins him trophies.

What I don't accept is what happened Tuesday night and it happened a few times this seaso it wasn't just down to tactics the player didn't play or show any desire yes we show seville too much respect but when we went a goal down and then when we got it to 2_1 The midfield and defence just casually passed the ball around and Jose was screaming at them to push up the pitch this is similar to what happened early in the game too.

So yes i think Jose should get another transfer window and he should be backed again and if he can't get these players fighting for him and the club next year then yes he should be gone.

This is not like it was with lvg and moyes it's not catosropic to the club in the short term as long as he makes top four so the same urgency isn't there to sack him.

Just because I don't think he shouldn't be sacked don't mean I accept it or think he has done a good job but i do think he should be given another season but he has to get more out of the players he has.

International and club management are totally different. Dont think giggs would even be considered

Seen a good stat today, since pogba joined 2 years ago, he has more assists, more take ons completed and more chances created than any other player at united in the same time

You can quote all the stats you want, I'm judging him with my eyes and he is no way having the influence that we all wished for and expected from him, pretty disappointed with him to be honest, had a huge opportunity on Tue to make a point and he was way off the boil..way off.

Here is one for you.

I haven't seen an good performance out of him in two months apart from maybe the Chelsea game if you push it.

International and club management are totally different. Dont think giggs would even be considered

I know that and like I said i wouldnt appoint him but if he goes and gets good results with Wales there will be a clamour from media and various talking heads to give him a chance.

He could be what Pep did a Barca for United.

The press would have a field day with it

Nope I don't think it will be allowed continue but I do think that if Jose gets well within top four this year and maybe add the fa cup or get to the final he should be given the third year to change it around.

I haven't had much problems with joses tactics just a few games and like most fans when we signed him we knew exactly what we are getting it's what made him successful it's what wins him trophies.

What I don't accept is what happened Tuesday night and it happened a few times this seaso it wasn't just down to tactics the player didn't play or show any desire yes we show seville too much respect but when we went a goal down and then when we got it to 2_1 The midfield and defence just casually passed the ball around and Jose was screaming at them to push up the pitch this is similar to what happened early in the game too.

So yes i think Jose should get another transfer window and he should be backed again and if he can't get these players fighting for him and the club next year then yes he should be gone.

This is not like it was with lvg and moyes it's not catosropic to the club in the short term as long as he makes top four so the same urgency isn't there to sack him.

Just because I don't think he shouldn't be sacked don't mean I accept it or think he has done a good job but i do think he should be given another season but he has to get more out of the players he has.

What happens if say we put in another similar performance this saturday like we did on tuesday and get knocked out of the cup.... id say whatever support for him is left will be gone

I know that and like I said i wouldnt appoint him but if he goes and gets good results with Wales there will be a clamour from media and various talking heads to give him a chance.

He could be what Pep did a Barca for United.

The press would have a field day with it

How many wales games are there between now and end of next season? 10 or 12? Would need a good few years before he would even be considered

Also pep was already working at barca and just got promoted, giggs has left united

• Advertisement

What happens if say we put in another similar performance this saturday like we did on tuesday and get knocked out of the cup.... id say whatever support for him is left will be gone

What if we hammer them and win our next four league games sure lads be going around as if nothing ad happend.

We don't know what's gonna happen they could just as easily go on a run now who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think there is a big underlying problem at OT. There does not seem to be much comrardary between the players and they are definitely not enjoying the football. Mourinho is steady complaining about the atmosphere at home but honestly most of our football is hard to watch.

What if we hammer them and win our next four league games sure lads be going around as if nothing ad happend.

We don't know what's gonna happen they could just as easily go on a run now who knows.

I cant see us hammering any team and i cant remember that last time we hammered anyone?

You cant just turn on form, the big worry for me is tuesday night was our biggest game of the season and we were awful. Id say it will be a very unhappy OT this sat if we dont put in a very good performance and the fans will let jose and the board know exactly how they feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I posted the other day a list of names. Poch being no1

Just on your list, I really think you just took random managers and added them to that.. I mean you put Joachim Low on it for god sake.. a manager that has only managed National team for the last 12 years and before that managing pretty **** teams in Turkey.. what exactly, does he have that makes you think he could manage one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Edit: and just see that you have posted after that international and club football are totally different.. contractions galore

astradave wrote: »
    Just on your list, I really think you just took random managers and added them to that.. I mean you put Joachim Low on it for god sake.. a manager that has only managed National team for the last 12 years and before that managing pretty **** teams in Turkey.. what exactly, does he have that makes you think he could manage one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Edit: and just see that you have posted after that international and club football are totally different.. contractions galore

Joachim low won a world cup, has managed and developed some of the best players in the world and will probably quit germany in the summer. He is only on my shortlist of candidates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Joachim low won a world cup, has managed and developed some of the best players in the world and will probably quit germany in the summer. He is only on my shortlist of candidates

astradave wrote: »

Let me re-phrase.... international management of wales/germany is totally different.

Low has experience in the biggest games of football, giggs has none

How many wales games are there between now and end of next season? 10 or 12? Would need a good few years before he would even be considered

Also pep was already working at barca and just got promoted, giggs has left united

Youre missing my point, I dont need convincing on not appointing Giggs but if he wins 10 games and has Wales playing good football and the United job becomes vacant he will be linked to it.

You said Pep worked at Barca well so did Giggs at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Try avoid posting after matches as I tend to say something I regret few times in past.

Having revised the game though and thinking about it the more depressing it gets though.

First of all the performance. Awful and nothing less. Sanchez was dreadful. I thought Lakaku at least got around and so did Rashford but rest really were awful to some degree.

Jose comments after the game have me for the first time properly doubting him. What a ****ing thing to come out with. Can you imagine if Moyes did the same? He have been funked off ASAP. Really was mind boggling.

The atmosphere is awful but with football on display it's easy see why.

Mentally this side is weak but the manager has be asked questions and maybe just maybe Jose is not the man after all.

OTT? I don't know but honestly how can anyone get behind a manager who thinks we are at best a Top 16 club when we should be trying at least to get to semi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Try avoid posting after matches as I tend to say something I regret few times in past.

Having revised the game though and thinking about it the more depressing it gets though.

First of all the performance. Awful and nothing less. Sanchez was dreadful. I thought Lakaku at least got around and so did Rashford but rest really were awful to some degree.

Jose comments after the game have me for the first time properly doubting him. What a ****ing thing to come out with. Can you imagine if Moyes did the same? He have been funked off ASAP. Really was mind boggling.

The atmosphere is awful but with football on display it's easy see why.

Mentally this side is weak but the manager has be asked questions and maybe just maybe Jose is not the man after all.

OTT? I don't know but honestly how can anyone get behind a manager who thinks we are at best a Top 16 club when we should be trying at least to get to semi

Have to agree on his post match comments, thought they were terrible and an exercise in self promotion. Was really disappointed in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

And don't forget we are second in the league ......
    Not having a go at you secman as I believe your post is being sarcastic
    I would rather be 3rd or 4th and 3 points behind the leaders than 2nd and 16 points.
    Out of the league since before xmas is not progress. Its disgraceful considering the money we have spent and Tuesday night has just highlighted that we are going nowhere.
    This talk of being second as progress is bull****. We are miles behind the leaders ... that is where the bar is set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Robson99 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you secman as I believe your post is being sarcastic
    I would rather be 3rd or 4th and 3 points behind the leaders than 2nd and 16 points.
    Out of the league since before xmas is not progress. Its disgraceful considering the money we have spent and Tuesday night has just highlighted that we are going nowhere.
    This talk of being second as progress is bull****. We are miles behind the leaders ... that is where the bar is set
    This seems a pretty unlikely scenario at the best of times.

pjohnson wrote: »
    This seems a pretty unlikely scenario at the best of times.

The point being.... a very distant 2nd is not something to be shouting from the rooftops about , may be for Liverpool ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The point being.... a very distant 2nd is not something to be shouting from the rooftops about , may be for Liverpool ?

No one is touting it as an amazing achievement

Why it's discussed is that being a comfortable second is a large step up from where we have been since Fergie left. For the first time since then, we aren't going into the final weeks pessimistic about our CL chances. And while "best of the rest" is not where we want to be long term, it is an improvement from the "worst of the rest" situation we have been in for the last four seasons.

Iirc, our positions over the last four seasons were 7, 4, 5, 6

In that context, 2nd is acceptable. Not amazing. Acceptable.

It also sets a higher bar for next year too. Fans rightly will want to see similar leaps forward next year. There will be expectations of top two minimum next year, and a proper title challange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'm sure you could find some great stats for Mikhitaryan at United doesn't change the fact he was largely muck just like it doesn't change the fact Pogba has been hugely underwhelming.

Underwhelming is a PC rating he's been poor and at some times disgraceful relative to expectations.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    I'm sure you could find some great stats for Mikhitaryan at United doesn't change the fact he was largely muck just like it doesn't change the fact Pogba has been hugely underwhelming.

Underwhelming is a PC rating he's been poor and at some times disgraceful relative to expectations.

The most take ons was the one that surprised me. You would imagine martial, rashford or valencia/young would be ahead on that.

Just another stat to show how un-inventive and a team lacking in confidence/ideas is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Maybe not but if we finish second it's progress and that was the point being made.

beno619 wrote: »
    Maybe not but if we finish second it's progress and that was the point being made.

2nd 3rd or 4th does it really matter?

Progress is how the team is playing, we are playing worse as the season has gone on.

Has martial, lindeloff, smalling, herrera, pogba, rashford progressed as players. The answer is a massive no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BenK wrote: »
    Have to agree on his post match comments, thought they were terrible and an exercise in self promotion. Was really disappointed in them.

Or maybe his comments were designed to take the focus off the players who were pathetic and deserve a lot more sh*t then they are getting!

I am surprised that people are so easily manipulated into taking every word certain people say so seriously. Jose is a master at getting attention but it’s not always because he has a Massive ego and wants people talking about him.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Or maybe his comments were designed to take the focus off the players who were pathetic and deserve a lot more sh*t then they are getting!

I am surprised that people are so easily manipulated into taking every word certain people say so seriously. Jose is a master at getting attention but it’s not always because he has a Massive ego and wants people talking about him.

The focus was on him after the game. He got dogs abuse walking down the touchline after the game. Its very clear to see he has the team set up very poorly ans his tactics v sevilla were almost stoke like

• Advertisement

'Are Man Utd making progress?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11291236

Lord TSC wrote: »
    No one is touting it as an amazing achievement

Why it's discussed is that being a comfortable second is a large step up from where we have been since Fergie left. For the first time since then, we aren't going into the final weeks pessimistic about our CL chances. And while "best of the rest" is not where we want to be long term, it is an improvement from the "worst of the rest" situation we have been in for the last four seasons.

Iirc, our positions over the last four seasons were 7, 4, 5, 6

In that context, 2nd is acceptable. Not amazing. Acceptable.

It also sets a higher bar for next year too. Fans rightly will want to see similar leaps forward next year. There will be expectations of top two minimum next year, and a proper title challange.

Last season after 30 matches we were 18 points of Chelsea in 1st and in 5th place.

Last season after 30 matches we were 18 points of Chelsea in 1st and in 5th place.

City are probably going to smash any league record this season. I would be looking at league champions points average rather then benchmarking this side against a rampaging city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So what your saying is United overtook 3 teams (progress realtive to where they were) but still have a long way to go to get to the team in 1st?

You can't say that, it is too in the middle of "oh my gawd everything is awful" and "everything is grand".

How dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Drumpot wrote: »
    City are probably going to smash any league record this season. I would be looking at league champions points average rather then benchmarking this side against a rampaging city.

That's swaying into alternative table territory. City are the benchmark for this United team and Mourinho.

The focus was on him after the game. He got dogs abuse walking down the touchline after the game. Its very clear to see he has the team set up very poorly ans his tactics v sevilla were almost stoke like

Jose has won everything there is in football. I think a prudent stance to take is that he knows more about football then people here or clown pundits with uninformed views on what he should do.

Im not sure how he can be blamed for players like Pogba and Sanchez misplacing 10 yard passes. It’s funny how people complain about how poor Seville are and don’t wonder how the players were able to perform so poorly under any tactics. If Seville are so sh*t we should be able to beat them home and away with the same tactics that have us 2nd in the league. The same tactics that beat Liverpool and Chelsea. The intensity of the players was not the same and I don’t blame Jose for that.

You just default to the negative on everything and try to find or point out anything (even irrelevant hyperbolic waffle) that you feel justifies your negative stance on him.

Poch to United is on paper an extremely risky move. He doesn’t have time for big egos like Pogba who would be out the door. Players have to fit into his rigid system (like Jose) or they go. He has won nothing so has no pedigree in success. He has been given three years to grow spurs with relatively no pressure because he doesn’t spend much. Now he will have gargantuan expectations and will
    Need to spend big money to catch up with city! There is literally not one thing that points to him being a good choice, especially when some fans won’t give one of the worlds top coaches more then a season and a half to stabilize the club.

It’s funny that you use assist statistics to defend Pogba when his overall performances have been poor but refuse to awknowledge statistics that show united are in a better position to challange for top honors. I don’t think anybody is defending the Style or quality of football being played so all you are doing is focusing on one element of his management and using that to judge his entire tenure. Most of us can stand back and see the bigger picture. The club is in a state of repair and like during seasons when we got Bellion and Djemba Djemba under sir Alex (and some fans were calling for SAF to retire), I think it is logical to trust in the ability of a top coach and accept a few disappointing aspects while they work their magic.

Jose has never failed to bring a top trophy to a club he joined. There is more reason to believe he will do the same at united then there is to think he won’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

https://t.co/ODy2LxP4W6

Probably the best article I’ve read on the situation. Also to expect united to jump from 6th to challenging a team that’s going to break all records is to completely dismiss the progress that has been made. Now we know what city are capable of there will be expectations of a challenge to them next season. If not jose will face the consequences.

That's swaying into alternative table territory. City are the benchmark for this United team and Mourinho.

United’s benchmark for the last 4 seasons has been scraping into the top four not targeting the title. That’s just a fact, no matter what money has been spent, this has been the reality of the club. The mere fact we are talking about challanging city is a testament to what Jose has done.

DM_7 wrote: »
    So what your saying is United overtook 3 teams (progress realtive to where they were) but still have a long way to go to get to the team in 1st?

You can't say that, it is too in the middle of "oh my gawd everything is awful" and "everything is grand".

How dare you!

I was just curious as it seems that league position is completely irrelevant for some as we are so far behind the leaders. Apparently being 16pts behind the leaders shows that we aren't making progress.

So I checked how far behind the leaders we were at this point last year and wahey for some we aren't progressing this year either despite reducing the gap from us to first from 18pts to 16pts.

But who needs numbers when you "feel" they arent progressing. Unless those numbers show Pogba positively of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hows Sanchez working out for you lads? :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement