Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    He was on the bench for majority of game in favour of fellaini

I would assume thats why beno didn't ask about his 90min performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

paulbok wrote: »
    There is also the potential if City win it, and Arsenal win the Europa, that 4th place misses out Next Year

No I thought top leagues could have 5 teams? It would have to be Liverpool and arsenal winning both cups and finishing outside top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

paulbok wrote: »
    There is also the potential if City win it, and Arsenal win the Europa, that 4th place misses out Next Year

Fake news!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How about you just hop out of the discussion on Jose's attitude to being knocked out if you don't want to discuss United being knocked out, and Jose's attitude towards it.

So do you want a hand written apology ? there have been arguments made about his comments taking heat of his players.

Im not too upset about anything he's said, im annoyed about the decisions that were made on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Liverpool fan here but coming in peace. So I'm reading some of the comments here that man city have spent more than man u and that players already at man city like aguero, david silva better than players already at man u when mourinho arrive.

If Pep took over man u last season and say mourinho took over man city last season, where do you think right now you (man u) will be in the league table and by how many points either in front of man city or behind?

I'm asking this as I look at man u squad and team is unreal and packed with serious talent and a lot of youth. One thing Pep is very good at is improving talented young players. He did great with players like pedro at barca, kroos at bayern and look what he's doing with sterling and sane at city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beno619 wrote: »
    So do you want a hand written apology ? there have been arguments made about his comments taking heat of his players.

Im not too upset about anything he's said, im annoyed about the decisions that were made on Tuesday.
    I'd prefer him to say it was a massive disappointment and the he, and the players, know they need to do better.

Instead we get told that this is all a United fan should expect of the club, cause the players aren't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    I would assume thats why beno didn't ask about his 90min performance.

They were dominating the game when pogba came on, everyone was playing awful an he did the same as all the other players. Played awful

Drumpot wrote: »
    No I thought top leagues could have 5 teams? It would have to be Liverpool and arsenal winning both cups and finishing outside top 4.

You are correct.

If City win it, and Arsenal win the EL then it is four plus Arsenal.

If the team finishing 5th in the league won the CL (Could only be liverpool now) and Arsenal won the EL then it would be the top 3 plus Liverpool (as CL winner) and Arsenal (As EL winner). Max you can have is 5.

I'd prefer him to say it was a massive disappointment and the he, and the players, know they need to do better.

Instead we get told that this is all a United fan should expect of the club, cause the players aren't good enough.

He even said city had heritage... and moyes got slated for saying he aspires to be like city

beya2009 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here but coming in peace. So I'm reading some of the comments here that man city have spent more than man u and that players already at man city like aguero, david silva better than players already at man u when mourinho arrive.

If Pep took over man u last season and say mourinho took over man city last season, where do you think right now you (man u) will be in the league table and by how many points either in front of man city or behind?

I'm asking this as I look at man u squad and team is unreal and packed with serious talent and a lot of youth. One thing Pep is very good at is improving talented young players. He did great with players like pedro at barca, kroos at bayern and look what he's doing with sterling and sane at city.

Sterling was a 50 million player he is getting what Brendan Rogers got out if him does that make Rodgers a genius?

Sane was an excellent player for city last year maybe not on the level now but he has developed as expected.

I'm not saying that pep would of been better or worse I don't know and I don't really care Jose is our manager and he has failed this year but just because he has failed don't mean he should be sacked if we finish in top four there is no long term damage done.

Go again next season learn lessons and if he fails again then we look for the next manager.

In the grand scheme of things I don't see why Jose should be judge directly next to city when they have spent more money and started from a stronger position but klopp gets a free pass every year for just making top four and not challenging for nothing.

• Advertisement

He even said city had heritage... and moyes got slated for saying he aspires to be like city

Your taking the piss with your misrepresentation of quotes now.

That's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

jayo26 wrote: »
    Sterling was a 50 million player he is getting what Brendan Rogers got out if him does that make Rodgers a genius?

Sane was an excellent player for city last year maybe not on the level now but he has developed as expected.

I'm not saying that pep would of been better or worse I don't know and I don't really care Jose is our manager and he has failed this year but just because he has failed don't mean he should be sacked if we finish in top four there is no long term damage done.

Go again next season learn lessons and if he fails again then we look for the next manager.

In the grand scheme of things I don't see why Jose should be judge directly next to city when they have spent more money and started from a stronger position but klopp gets a free pass every year for just making top four and not challenging for nothing.

May of picked a bad da for that comment :P

Your taking the piss with your misrepresentation of quotes now.

Balances out with Moyes' quotes being misrepresented too I suppose!

City played wonderful football at the time, United should have been aspiring to play football like that (which is what DM was talking about) - not that we should aspire to be a club like City, which is how it was taken.

I'm still a bit crestfallen from the other night, but have to draw a line under it and move on.

I've read the latest comments from the presser, don't care if they are good/bad/deflection from the players. I just want a win tomorrow night. I had completely forgotten that City were knocked out of the FA Cup in the previous round. Of the PL teams left in it, we've beaten them all this season (and gotten beaten by some of them too at their own grounds) so we should have a decent chance to win it.

Winning the FA Cup wouldn't turn our season into a roaring success, but if we won it that would be the Europa, EFL and FA Cup all within Jose's first two seasons at the club. In the event of an FA Cup win and a second place finish this season, I'd be very interested to see what Jose could bring us in his third season especially after being backed by the board in another transfer window.

Last Tuesday night hurt like hell, but then again so did Nick Powell v Wolfsburg and that wasn't enough alone to make me (and others in here) turn on LVG. Many of us gave LVG some time after that to see if his 'process' could still be salvaged. I think that's what needs to be done now with Jose.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    May of picked a bad da for that comment :P

Meh you don't win trophies for getting into the next round of the cup.

jayo26 wrote: »

imo i think Klopp get's less stick because of

1: style of play
    2: spent significantly less money than both manchester clubs
    3: his charm with british media

Could be a load of rubbish but just my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Eh, on that second point, transfermarkt has his spend this year gone as £151m to our £148m. Mind, City is on £284m

(I presume this is where Pool fans bring up Net Spend...)

Thats where pool are different then united yes we moan about style of play but we Must be managers on winning things too. No way would a manager be allowed 3 years at United playing sexy football and not winning anything.

What worries me most about Tuesday night is the lack if effort I can get over results and what not that's part of the game I just detest players not putting in effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Lord TSC wrote:
    Eh, on that second point, transfermarkt has his spend this year gone as £151m to our £148m. Mind, City is on £284m

Ye spent only 148m?????

Lindolf 35
    Lukaku 80
    Matic 40

That's 155 right there.

That's without counting any money spent on the Sanchez afair.

You can't cry that's it's unfair to compare ye to city because City spent so much nicer the last couple of years and then say it's fair to compare ye to Liverpool who haven't spent much in he last few years.

I always say on here anyway that none of us can complain. Untied have a great side that should be winning the league. Most of their players would not play for pep but not because they are not amazing but because they ate a different style.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ye spent only 148m?????

Lindolf 35
    Lukaku 80
    Matic 40

That's 155 right there.

As I said, going on transfermarkt...

Lukaku = 76.23m
    Matic = 40.23m
    Lindelof = 31.50m

Expenditures: £147.96m

Sanchez is listed as a swap deal, so its' not including wages and agents fees, admittedly. Both figures would go up if you did though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Just out of curiosity what players do posters think have improved under Mourinho and what players have regressed ? I'm struggling to think of any player who has gotten better under him. Probably Lingard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Just out of curiosity what players do posters think have improved under Mourinho and what players have regressed ? I'm struggling to think of any player who has gotten better under him. Probably Lingard

Rojo, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Fellaini, Mata have all improved.

Smalling and Herrera have definitely regressed this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

United top 3 paid players Pogba ,Alexis, Ibra
    Shows the problem at the club ,throwing cash without a real plan to fix the club,
    Need to be way more thoughtful, simply didn't need Alexis, Just throwing money to pretend its still a big club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

My bad.

Shows the problem at the club ,throwing cash without a real plan to fix the club,
    Need to be way more thoughtful, simply didn't need Alexis, Just throwing money to pretend its still a big club

Two of those three high earners are extremely popular online followIng and a marketers dream.

I’m not saying that Zlatan wasn’t worth it last season or Pogba was bought purely on this fact but I don’t believe it’s a convenient coincidence for a club whose owners excel at squeezing every ounce of marketing potential from its cash cow ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In fairness Ibrahimovic is on about 150k or thereabouts.. no way he is in the top 3, and as your last line? love how you are getting these little digs in every so often ;)

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness Ibrahimovic is on about 150k or thereabouts.. no way he is in the top 3

Wasn’t he re-signed in the summer? He was originally on 350k or something when we got him on a free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

He's saying that the other teams have been better for us for a while and it might take longer for us to get to where we want to be.

That rant does not address why we were so poor over 2 legs against the mighty Sevilla. Or why we gave been generally playing poor over the season. A rant that will polarize the fans prob 50/50.
    He's obviously feeling the heat .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pretend :rolleyes:
    What qualifies as a big club in your books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

By all means come in and debate with people. Helps keep the thread interesting but little digs like the above can be interrupted as trolling, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt but please refrain from these comments in future

secman wrote: »
    That rant does not address why we were so poor over 2 legs against the mighty Sevilla. Or why we gave been generally playing poor over the season. A rant that will polarize the fans prob 50/50.
    He's obviously feeling the heat .

Jose said we played well the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kona wrote: »
    Im getting a horrible feeling that citeh name is on the trophy this year. Handy group, another handy draw. Looks like they may not meet a proper team until the semis.

I’d thank this post twice if I could! A bit too salty for my taste but still delicious! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’d thank this post twice if I could! A bit too salty for my taste but still delicious! :)

It pisses me off more that one of them are now guaranteed to be in the semis. Would have much preferred both to go out at this round. I'm salty as fùck about the events of this week and won't make any bones about it.

Bayern are the sleepers this year imo.

Does anyone else think Pogba getting too much criticism? Some people saying his performances for Juventus were misleading as its a much inferior league but he also did the business for them in champions league. That final against Barca...if they had won he probably would have got man of the match. He's just off the pace right now but he's top class. If ye don't want him then just give him to us!:)

• Advertisement

He's been off the pace for 2 years now.

Does anyone else think Pogba getting too much criticism? Some people saying his performances for Juventus were misleading as its a much inferior league but he also did the business for them in champions league. That final against Barca...if they had won he probably would have got man of the match. He's just off the pace right now but he's top class. If ye don't want him then just give him to us!:)

It depends on what you expect for £90 million. I’d suggest it certainly feels like united are getting more value out of Lukaku in footballing terms and he cost less.

Also Lukaku has taken way more stick for far less. Lukaku has knuckled down and works so much harder for the team. Pogba certainly hasn’t improved as a player. Feels like Pogba is getting off a lot lighter , if Fellani put in the kind of performances Pogba has in the last month there would be uproar at him starting. People seem happy to presume that Pogbas problem is the manager... Some people even defended Pogba blaming his agent for Pogba turning his back on SAF. Funny how selective fans can be about giving some players a free pass ...

if Fellani put in the kind of performances Pogba has in the last month there would be uproar at him starting. People seem happy to presume that Pogbas problem is the manager... Funny how selective fans can be about giving some players a free pass ...

This. I mean you could never accuse Fellaini of simply not being bothered or willing to put the team first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's quite simple really. People have seen Pogba be excellent for Juve and for France. They've never seen Fellaini attain that level of excellence.

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's quite simple really. People have seen Pogba be excellent for Juve and for France. They've never seen Fellaini attain that level of excellence.

We saw veron and Di Maria attain high levels too but look how they turned out. Don’t remember fans blaming SAF for Verons failure.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many of these distraught at this "season defining" loss to Sevilla were annoyed when Jose prioritised European Football last year?

We saw veron and Di Maria attain high levels too but look how they turned out. Don’t remember fans blaming SAF for Verons failure.

I cant remember if people wanted Fergie sacked this desperately after we were bottom of our CL Group (maybe '06? Benfica, Lille were in the group)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He really has been poor.... but - as long as the system is as it is, I don't see it changing.

As long as passing into midfield and building from there is on the banned list from the manager, he'll struggle. Midfield, for Mourinho at the moment, is where you place a roadblock, and then play it wide or long as soon as you get it back. Sanchez already looks frustrated by the same thing... not being able to come deep into midfield to get on the ball, turn and run. Instead he's having to come collect on the wing back-to-goal, looks like its driving him nuts.

Turtwig wrote: »

I've seen Fellaini consistently perform to a high level for united post Moyes I can't say the same for Pogba.

Who gives a crap what he did for Juve ? and the same applies to the Dortmund duds, Schweinsteiger ect.

I've seen Fellaini consistently perform to a high level for united post Moyes I can't say the same for Pogba.

Who gives a crap what he did for Juve ? and the same applies to the Dortmund duds, Schweinsteiger ect.

after moyes left, he has 6 league goals season after, 1 league goal season after that, 1 league goal season after that and 3 league goals this season, if thats what is considering performing at a high level for man utd we are well and truly fuc*ed

after moyes left, he has 6 league goals season after, 1 league goal season after that, 1 league goal season after that and 3 league goals this season, if thats what is considering performing at a high level for man utd we are well and truly fuc*ed

You do realise that Fellaini has more league goals this year than the "star" Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bizarre press conference from Mourinho, utterly bizarre.

Also bringing his relationship with Pogba back into sharp focus, with his reference to the key players the next manager will inherit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

In a starting 11 that might be good enough to win a league. Currently we'd have De Gea, Bailly, Matic (year or two left at most), Sanchez (only if top form recovered) and Lukaku.

That's 5 that could win a league IMO but everybody would have a different view. We'd be well off the standard of Europe's best.

Oh yeah I forgot you judge players based on stats.

Matic only has one goal for us, might as well get rid now.

Oh yeah I forgot you judge players based on stats.

Matic only has one goal for us, might as well get rid now.

van gaal used to consider fellaini one of his "strikers"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement