Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    You do realise that Fellaini has more league goals this year than the "star" Pogba?

no he doesnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Drumpot wrote: »
    We saw veron and Di Maria attain high levels too but look how they turned out. Don’t remember fans blaming SAF for Verons failure.

Pogba at Utd reminds me exactly of Veron at Utd. The only difference really is that Veron was the better player pre Utd.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bizarre press conference from Mourinho, utterly bizarre.

Also bringing his relationship with Pogba back into sharp focus, with his reference to the key players the next manager will inherit.

One point I agreed with him on. :pac:

we need more players but do ye trust jose's eye for a player?

he has signed 8 players at united, half of them have been flops so far, that is not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

adox wrote: »
    Pogba at Utd reminds me exactly of Veron at Utd. The only difference really is that Veron was the better player pre Utd.

Neville made that point a while back. Perfect example except Veron seemed like Mhiki in that he did better in Europe for us.

Bizzare press conference for sure and another small episode in his inevitable departure imo.

When he said he won’t change his style etc I thought back to those two C.L. games against Sevilla and just though oh please just leave.

Those games were Van Gaal levels of cowardice.

Problem is we have a lot of spineless players too.

Anyway let’s see how the season plays out and where we finish. One things for sure, I can’t wait for it to be over and amnt really looking forward to watching Utd for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The more i see of Pogba the more i think the 1.5mill Fergie got for him was a great bit of business :pac::pac:

Neville made that point a while back. Perfect example except Veron seemed like Mhiki in that he did better in Europe for us.

Veron was probably the best MF in the world when we signed him. The most exciting signing they ever made in my years supporting them. Made it all the more galling when it didn’t work out.

I fear Pogba May go the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mourinho's performance in today's presser was Rafa's facts presser, right?

• Advertisement

Veron was probably the best MF in the world when we signed him. The most exciting signing they ever made in my years supporting them. Made it all the more galling when it didn’t work out.

Memory may be playing tricks but I remember Veron actually tending to play pretty well for us in general. Just fitting him into our midfield at the time was the major problem without adversely hindering Scholes.

he was only the 3rd best midfielder at united.

prob in the top 10 midfielders in the world when we signed him

bangkok wrote: »

I didn’t say anything about him being the best while playing for Utd.

He was probably th best MF in the world when we signed him IMO!!!

Memory may be playing tricks but I remember Veron actually tending to play pretty well for us in general. Just fitting him into our midfield at the time was the major problem without adversely hindering Scholes.

he was decent. getting attacked by keane in the dressing room didnt help his confidence

Nah, he had flashes of brilliance but while he was an all marauding, game controlling MF in Italy the games largely passed him by at Utd. It’s why Pogba rem8nds me of him (so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don’t say anything about him being the best while playing for Utd.

He was probably th best MF in the world when we signed him IMO!!!

He was probably the best midfielder in the world in many peoples opinion at the time.

Probably the most exciting signing we made in my time watching, was such a pity he didn’t work out.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    He was probably the best midfielder in the world in many peoples opinion at the time.

Probably the most exciting signing we made in my time watching, was such a pity he didn’t work out.

better than keane, scholes, vieria effenberg? not better than any of them imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Thats YOUR OPINION. Other people have a different opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He was a record signing for the club ! Do you actually know what you are talking about ?

LeeJM wrote: »
    Thats YOUR OPINION. Other people have a different opinion

fair enough, but unless it was a parallel universe i was living in, he was never better than roy keane at any time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

At the time of his signing.. yep so there you have it, you have a different opinion than others.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bizzare press conference for sure and another small episode in his inevitable departure imo.

When he said he won’t change his style etc I thought back to those two C.L. games against Sevilla and just though oh please just leave.

Those games were Van Gaal levels of cowardice.

Problem is we have a lot of spineless players too.

Anyway let’s see how the season plays out and where we finish. One things for sure, I can’t wait for it to be over and amnt really looking forward to watching Utd for the rest of the season.

Tbf he didn't say won't change his style. He said he won't change his mentality, he is making the point that the criticism will not affect him, that he is big enough to take it. That he has faith in his own ability, he has the CV to back that up and that he feels he is on a path with the squad that is not complete. That he came in to a bad situation and has improved it.

He is in good form actually, as evidenced by his jokes at the start. If the overreaction hadn't been so comical we might have got more of an introspective Jose like we have seen on occasion but that was never gonna happen given the result Tuesday.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

fair enough, but unless it was a parallel universe i was living in, he was never better than roy keane at any time

Did you see much of him before he signed for Utd? That’s a genuine question and not trying to set you up or anything.

Anyway of course it’s not written in stone and it’s all about opinions.

Your just making the top 10 was a bit of a stretch though.

Tbf he didn't say won't change his style. He said he won't change his mentality, he is making the point that the criticism will not affect him, that he is big enough to take it. That he has faith in his own ability, he has the CV to back that up and that he feels he is on a path with the squad that is not complete. That he came in to a bad situation and has improved it.

He is in good form actually, as evidenced by his jokes at the start.

Fair enough. I read the text rather than watched the video of it so took it up wrong.

I’m still in grumpy mode though as far as him and Utd go. I didn’t think there was much of an overreaction either the other night.

Did you see much of him before he signed for Utd? That’s a genuine question and not trying to set you up or anything.

yea seen lots of him and he was a huge name and like you i was very excited by his signing, didnt think he did as bad either as the media made out at the time, but i just dont think he was ever as good as keane, vieria or scholes

I remember united signed Ruud and Veron and a friend says to me “well that’s the league and champions league sorted for united!”.

So disappointed Seba didn't work out for us, an unbelievable player. Just didn't adapt to the premier league at the time. I think if he had been signed 10 years later at that age he'd have been an absolute monster in the league.

Better than Keane? Not for me but a totally different type of player, better then scholes who he would be a bit more comparble to? Yes.

He was played out of position a lot and did pretty well in Europe but he just didn't adapt well to the style of the English league at the time unfortunately

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So disappointed Seba didn't work out for us, an unbelievable player. Just didn't adapt to the premier league at the time. I think if he had been signed 10 years later at that age he'd have been an absolute monster in the league.

Better than Keane? Not for me but a totally different type of player, better then scholes who he would be a bit more comparble to? Yes.

He was played out of position a lot and did pretty well in Europe but he just didn't adapt well to the style of the English league at the time unfortunately

:eek::eek::eek:

Fair enough. I read the text rather than watched the video of it so took it up wrong.

I’m still in grumpy mode though as far as him and Utd go. I didn’t think there was much of an overreaction either the other night.

Well to my mind the throwing the last couple of seasons out and demanding the managers head on the basis of one absolutely horrible result and I make no excuses for that at all, was an overreaction.

Others may feel differently of course, but the world didn't end. The progress has still been made and is there to be built on next year. He raises the bar for himself again next year though and a performance and whimper like that will certainly warrant examination in terms of where we are going as a club and can he take us to the next level. He has done a good job so far, next season is a pretty big one for him and how he will be remembered as united manager.

Shocking is it? Probably gives you an idea of the feeling people get when they read a lot of your ....opinions..... :)

I’m actually with you on that ... Scholes is the most underrated midfielder in premier league history. Any praise he has received is nowhere near enough. Look at the adulation Iniesta gets and that’s the kind of level scholes was at consistently while f**king Gerard and lampard were being lauded as the EPLs and England’s best !!!

• Advertisement

Shocking is it? Probably gives you an idea of the feeling people get when they read a lot of your ....opinions..... :)

are you saying he was better than scholes over his career or just up to the point we signed him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

When we signed veron he was right up there with Zidane as the best in the world.

Fergie just couldn't decide on a formation that would get the best out if all the players he had, and Scholes/keane was the better partnership.

Actually feel its similar to Pogba. Great player that isn't living up to potential in part due to what he's being asked to do - creative attacking midfielder being asked to play defensively.

I’m actually with you on that ... Scholes is the most underrated midfielder in premier league history. Any praise he has received is nowhere near enough. Look at the adulation Iniesta gets and that’s the kind of level scholes was at consistently while f**king Gerard and lampard were being lauded as the EPLs and England’s best !!!

too be honest, its not even an argument, scholes played at man utd for 19 years and he was world class for majority of that time.

the height of verons career was 5 good seasons in seria a

Scholes is not underrated by anybody that has watched football and has a clue. From ex pros to pundits, managers and fans he is recognized as one of the greatest to ever play for United or Grace the premier league.

That successive England managers were too stupid to use him is a different matter, and a reason why the "golden generation" won **** all

When we signed veron he was right up there with Zidane as the best in the world.

Fergie just couldn't decide on a formation that would get the best out if all the players he had, and Scholes/keane was the better partnership.

Actually feel its similar to Pogba. Great player that isn't living up to potential in part due to what he's being asked to do - creative attacking midfielder being asked to play defensively.

that united team back then was such a well oiled machine, 442 with scholes just off the striker to try and fit in veron, beckham and giggs on the wings. what i would give for that now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Some great players in Italy went to England without success. Former team mate in Crespo was a big let down as well.

Mad to think Parma had Thuram, Cannavaro, Buffon, Crespo, Veron all in the same side in 98/99. 15 years later, club had to go to Serie D and be reformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Hollywood passes and deflected goals/freekicks seem to turn the English media on more than guile and skill do.

He ended up shifting him out left of a midfield 3 with scholes alongside and Keane anchoring the midfield where probably did his best work for the club but from memory Fergie played a 4411 a lot with scholes off the striker. Keane and butt/scholes were just a better pairing for the midfield partnership.

Scholes was a different player then too, he hadn't adapted his game to playing a deeper role yet and was still scoring plenty, he had his best goalscoring season round that time didn't e 01 or 02 mostly playing off the striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

He is in good form actually, as evidenced by his jokes at the start. If the overreaction hadn't been so comical we might have got more of an introspective Jose like we have seen on occasion but that was never gonna happen given the result Tuesday.
    That is not how it is been spun. We can blame the "media" for spinning it but it was another misjudgement by him. He is such an image reliant manager but this is another example of him appearing to have lost his touch in that regard. Will The players want to fight for him anymore after the presser? No. Will the fans rally around him? Definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

we need more players but do ye trust jose's eye for a player?

he has signed 8 players at united, half of them have been flops so far, that is not good

Pogba - flop - based on reputation / cost

Ibra - hit - scored lots of goals, only every a stop gap

Mikhi - flop - failed to reach his potential despite some flashes

Bailly - hit - our best defender imo

Lindelof - too early to say, could go either way, has had some good games, some not so good

Lukaku - hit - nuff said

Matic - hit - has had a few dodgy performances but in the main has been very solid

Sanchez - too early to say - 8 or 9 games in so will reserve judgement for the remainder of the season

More hits than misses so far with Mikhi the only out and out flop imo.

too be honest, its not even an argument, scholes played at man utd for 19 years and he was world class for majority of that time.

He'd probably say the height of his career was going back home and winning the Copa Libetadores with his home town club Estudiantes. :D

I don't know why United even signed Veron. They already had the perfect midfield axis in Keane and Scholes.

Well to my mind the throwing the last couple of seasons out and demanding the managers head on the basis of one absolutely horrible result and I make no excuses for that at all, was an overreaction.

Others may feel differently of course, but the world didn't end. The progress has still been made and is there to be built on next year. He raises the bar for himself again next year though and a performance and whimper like that will certainly warrant examination in terms of where we are going as a club and can he take us to the next level. He has done a good job so far, next season is a pretty big one for him and how he will be remembered as united manager.

Personally for me it was the culmination of disappointing performances and results that had always been there, that had been becoming more of a regular occurrence.

I call this a culmination as we all knew that this bunch of players with this manager in charge had the ability to lose a one off game against inferior opposition and do so with a whimper. The fact that this happened twice over two legs is just absolutely galling and not just “one of those nights”. Probably heightened even more by the strong results we had in the league in the build up.

It made me think that the team and manager have plateaued and we may have progressed as far as we can under Mourhino. I always took on board his pragmatism and accepted it would be part of the big, especially against the bigger teams but the Sevilla displays seemed a lot more than pragmatism gone wrong. They just seemed cowardly(the collective of the manager and players) and would have you wondering if Mourhino has doubts about himself at this stage.

I’ve been a big backer of Mourhino and so the above probably reads a bit like a little bit of revisionism from me but I hope it’s not. The doubts about where things were going had been creeping into the back of my mind.

The effort that went into getting the team back into the CL and then to be knocked out in such an utterly gutless and cowardly way is a pretty big deal imo.

I still maintain those results are a pivitol point in his Utd career and will be looked back at as he beginning of the end of his time at Utd(I know I’m a random guy on tinernet, armchair supporter with no experience in the game other than a spectator but that’s my honest feeling for better or for worse).

Similar to Pogba only for a shorter time :pac:

That is not how it is been spun. We can blame the "media" for spinning it but it was another misjudgement by him. He is such an image reliant manager but this is another example of him appearing to have lost his touch in that regard. Will The players want to fight for him anymore after the presser? No. Will the fans rally around him? Definitely not.

Thanks for giving your opinion on it :)

Hollywood passes and deflected goals/freekicks seem to turn the English media on more than guile and skill do.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-at-25-greatest-players-ranked-jack-pitt-brooke-a7886646.html%3famp

Look at that sh*t!!! Scholes 10 places behind Gerrard! Are you kidding me!!

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2241331.html#/

Scholes was criminally underrated in England and the general EPL fans!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

B]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Veron was an incredible player when we bought him. Unfortunately the timing of his signing was atrocious as there wasn't a hope in he'll of the Keane/Scholes partnership being broke up to accomodate him. 5 years later and he'd have been superb in that midfield.

They don't make many players like him in England. His game intelligence was second to none.

He would have walked into any top side in Serie A in the 1990's (Juventus, Milan or Inter) and made them better.

If he were Italian, he'd have been utilised properly for the national team.

That's why I am surprised that Eriksson, with his experience in Serie A and abroad, utilised him so badly for England.

Similar to Pogba only for a shorter time :pac:

Pogba at 25

Juventus[156]

Serie A: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
    Coppa Italia: 2014–15, 2015–16
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2013, 2015
    Manchester United[152]

EFL Cup: 2016–17
    UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
    France U20[157]

FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2013
    Individual

UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2010[158]
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Golden Ball: 2013[121]
    Golden Boy: 2013[159]
    Serie A Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16[160][161][162]
    FIFA World Cup Best Young Player: 2014[130]
    Bravo Award: 2014[70]
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2015[86]
    FIFA Ballon d'Or: 2015 – 5th place
    FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2015[87]
    FIFA FIFPro World XI 2nd team: 2016, 2017[163][164]
    FIFA FIFPro World XI 3rd team: 2014[165]
    ESM Team of the Year: 2015–16
    Serie A Top Assist-provider: 2015–16[89]
    UEFA Europa League Squad of the Season: 2016–17[166]
    UEFA Europa League Player of the Season: 2016–17[167]

if scholes was spanish, he would be up there as one of the best players to ever play the game, like xavi and iniesta

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement