Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Atrocious performance - not one player could hold their head high coming off that pitch ... it could have been 6-0...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Why is that a problem exactly?

Well it could be perceived that you are on the wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

?

Was congratulating youfor a post not full of rubbish.

A rarity this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    We've conceded the least goals of any team in the league. Yes De Gea has played a huge part in that too, but the defence over the season has performed very well. Its the attack that has failed to function fluidly, in large part down to the unbalanced midfield

Wud any of our back 4 play for a top European team?

Jose done miracles to get us to 2nd thus far.

No left back. Smalling and Jones get turned and they're in trouble. Valencia has performed well but is a winger filling in at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

limnam wrote: »
    Was congratulating youfor a post not full of rubbish.

A rarity this evening.

Ha ah! Wasn't sure what you meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't understand your midfield tonight. Pogba has played the furthest forward of the midfield 3 in the last 5 games (could have been even more) and he's been very very good.

A blind man can see he's just not suited to a two man midfield yet Jose puts him in there again tonight. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So who are we signing to fix this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I don't understand your midfield tonight. Pogba has played the furthest forward of the midfield 3 in the last 5 games (could have been even more) and he's been very very good.

A blind man can see he's just not suited to a two man midfield yet Jose puts him in there again tonight. Why?

These are the questions we’ve been asking ourselves for months Emmet, no idea how he can’t see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    2-0 down at half time is not "long over". It's just excuses. Martial played half the game in the left and did nothing. Everything else is, as usual with you, goalpost moving.

2-0 down at half time if he made changes and the game is not over no, but he made no subs even though it was clear to see we were being over run in midfield.

yet another game against a top side where we have been sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

We've conceded the least goals of any team in the league. Yes De Gea has played a huge part in that too, but the defence over the season has performed very well. Its the attack that has failed to function fluidly, in large part down to the unbalanced midfield

I think the tactics have made the defense look stronger on paper the. It actually is. think about the parking the bus insult hurled at Jose. He is very good at making teams compact and hard to score against.

The 4 defenders that started today have been at the club for a long time, two of them were bought as wingers!. City have spent over 200mil on defenders just since Pep joined.

I’m not saying that this means we need an entirely new defense, it’s just it might be any area we need to strengthen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    Nothing to report. You just seem to appear when the team aren’t doing well and disappear when they are winning. No idea why but it obviously floats your boat.

Lol at the grow up.

Obviously there's more to discuss in the big games, especially when we're beaten.

I remember saying to a friend when Jose took over from LVG that the entire team, at the time, would need replacing bar DeGea. He'll get there but Jose couldn't obviously do that in one go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Haven't a bloody clue mate but was attroucious tonight.

These are the questions we’ve been asking ourselves for months Emmet, no idea how he can’t see it.

Even Herrara in beside Matic with Pogba slightly further forward. Then Sanchez right, Martial left and Lukaku up top. The balance would be much better.

Wonder how scholsey feels about coming out of retirement..again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's about time Jones was sold, too many injuries have taken their toll, he could have been the real deal but that ship has sailed.

Pogba needs a serious kick up the hole, we all know about his ability but his lack of drive is pathetic. He really should have joined Madrid instead of united as the pace in Spain would have suited him down to the ground, he is the ultimate fair weather player and let's us down time and again despite his talent.

The decision to bring Lukaku to the club is looking like a serious mistake as well, he looks like a man with a lot of demons and wouldn't be the first player of his type to fail at a big club.

We seem determined to sabotage ourselves this year, our league position aside (how we're still second is anyones guess but Liverpool will likely pass us out in the next few weeks) you'd have to say we've moved backwards since last season.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Pathetic performance. 2 horrible goals to concede but the response from the team was the main thing. Lethargic and careless stuff. Felt like there was a serious problem with communication in this game. It's been said so many times but it's true:

this team seriously lacks a leader

cant believe how quiet sanchez was tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Wonder how scholsey feels about coming out of retirement..again...

Why not the man who Fergie tipped as Scholseys replacement? He was mentioned in this thread earlier in the week.

The mighty Nick Powell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Caught offside 9 times Spurs 1 shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Obviously there's more to discuss in the big games, especially when we're beaten.

Meh that’s a cop out.

Hard to take you seriously if you’re only going to pop I. Whe. Th8ngs aren’t going well and post constant negative posts.

Im sure you can see that or are being onviously ignorant about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Even Herrara in beside Matic with Pogba slightly further forward. Then Sanchez right, Martial left and Lukaku up top. The balance would be much better.

Exactly how I would have liked it, Herrera’s been pretty dire this season aswell but think he looks stronger in a 3 like Pogba does.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Why not the man who Fergie tipped as Scholseys replacement? He was mentioned in this thread earlier in the week.

The mighty Nick Powell.

Herb Powell has more chance :)

adox wrote: »
    Meh that’s a cop out.

Hard to take you seriously if you’re only going to pop I. Whe. Th8ngs aren’t going well and post constant negative posts.

Im sure you can see that or are being onviously ignorant about it.

How is it a cop out? What do you want me to say exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

bangkok wrote: »

I was at Cantonas debut against city and he didn’t stand out in that game!

Seriously , I think we can forgive a player whose only at the club a few hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s like Groundhog Day in here

It’s like Groundhog Day in here

We go through spells of “why is he playing 3 midfielders we aren’t creating anything” to “why is Pogba in a midfield two, we are overrun”. I just don’t think we have it in us to become a dominant team.

bar the fact ander is in the worst form of his life and wold have been run over anyway without the only bit of energy we had on the pitch in lingard

GSPfan wrote: »
    Depressing. Jose and his 4231 just annoys me most times. The Pogba problem persists.

Ugh. Not letting the players off the hook for this one though as it was horribly lethargic.

every man and his dog knows pogba in a 2 doesnt work. he was pushed further forward after the scholes criticism and was excellent, moving back to a midfield 2 again just doesnt make sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think the tactics have made the defense look stronger on paper the. It actually is. think about the parking the bus insult hurled at Jose. He is very good at making teams compact and hard to score against.

The 4 defenders that started today have been at the club for a long time, two of them were bought as wingers!. City have spent over 200mil on defenders just since Pep joined.

I’m not saying that this means we need an entirely new defense, it’s just it might be any area we need to strengthen.

I'm not sure this is the case though....in big matches the team as a whole has sat fairly deep, yes. But in most games the back four are actually fairly exposed, with matic being asked to channel his inner Kante and cover a ridiculous amount of ground while Pogba leaves massive holes in the midfield.

All defenders have off games, and its easy to forget the many great games that jones has had this season. If I was looking at areas to prioritise for investment this summer, central midfield would be way ahead of defense for me.

There was a table posted in the Liverpool thread last week for expected goals conceded (don't ask me to explain it because I don't know how it works). Liverpool's expected goals conceded was was much lower than United's, what happened though is United have conceded much fewer than Liverpool and from my understanding was that the goal keeping played a huge role in the difference.

°°°°°

Drumpot wrote: »
    City have spent over 200mil on defenders just since Pep joined.

I think you'll find that City actually bought all of those players for less than 20 quid, Pep got Laporte for a half eaten packet of salt and vinegar crisps and £3.50 in coppers.
    Tight budgets over at the Etihad, you trying telling that to young fans of today, and they won't believe you.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Jaysus to borrow a phrase from the great Pat Spillane that was and has being Puke football. Josés game plan was to park the pus and win 1-0 and didn't have a clue what to do after the early goal.

Its a shame because Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and Mata could seriously damage teams week in week out if they had a manager who knows how to set them up to attack

na, it was a great goal, clutching at straws there in fairness

bar the fact ander is in the worst form of his life and wold have been run over anyway without the only bit of energy we had on the pitch in lingard

Emmet is right yes Ander is playing crap but he would help in midfield more then having a forward dropping back to fill the gaps.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to think you're taking the mick...

Rio's gonna tear a few lads a new one tonight.

It'll be worse than anything anyone here would say :)

I wouldn't even hand my baby boy to Jones or Smalling. They're so clumsy they'd trip and drop him :)

I’ve been saying similar since Pogba was signed. If you are going to put all your eggs into his creative side being the heartbeat of the team you better do everything you can to accommodate it and his total lack of defensive awareness and contribution.

I mean an unbalanced team is an unbalanced team. When the center of the field is wide open you are in trouble.

More attacking players on the pitch doesn’t make them more attacking. It hands the initiative to the opposition and makes the team weaker.

I was delighted to see him being subbed tonight. He just didn’t bother his hole and was annonymous.

In fairness though he can't do a thing if he doesnt get the ball!

of course he can. just look at kane what he does (including tonight) Lukaku no where near that level.

It was bloody offside it don't matter if the goal was good or not which it was but it was still offside.

Even if it was disallowed we didn't deserve anything out of that game I've no problems with the goal but it was offside you can't day nah it wasn't just cause it was good goal.

• Advertisement

Yes he's in bad form but he couldn't have done any worse than Pogba on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

nullzero wrote: »
    It's about time Jones was sold, too many injuries have taken their toll, he could have been the real deal but that ship has sailed.

This. I just don't get it. I know I am biased being a Jones fan but he is so underrated by so many fans in here and it normally seems to be because of his injury record.

Taken their toll? Ship has sailed? That's nonsense. The man had a terrible game, as did most, but has had a great season overall. Jones has played 20 league games this season. 13 clean sheets and 10 goals conceded. His overall stats have improved and he's been smarter in his play. Been praised by Jose and others countless of times this season.

I'm starting to think you're taking the mick...

you thought he was good?

Was a great goal but rules are the rules. What's the point of having them if you can't enforce them. At this level, referees should be all over that but nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

of course he can. just look at kane what he does (including tonight) Lukaku no where near that level.

Kane had all kinds of service tonight and missed everything. He had an off night if anything.

Ya he was getting into good position s and winning the ball making chances but otherwise he was poor.

Lukaku had bascially one chance and if only for a good save he scores.

°°°°°

Adamocovic wrote: »
    This. I just don't get it. I know I am biased being a Jones fan but he is so underrated by so many fans in here and it normally seems to be because of his injury record.

Taken their toll? Ship has sailed? That's nonsense. The man had a terrible game, as did most, but has had a great season overall. Jones has played 20 league games this season. 13 clean sheets and 10 goals conceded. His overall stats have improved and he's been smarter in his play. Been praised by Jose and others countless of times this season.

Is he United material, what I mean by that is, is he at the same level of a Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic Pallister etc...?
    He's a talented player but being constantly injured takes its toll, look at Jack Wilshire for a comparison.
    I'm fond of Jones and would love to see him come good but United need consistency, Bailly has been a huge loss for us.

Glazers Out!

piplip87 wrote: »
    Jaysus to borrow a phrase from the great Pat Spillane that was and has being Puke football. Josgame plan was to park the pus and win 1-0 and didn't have a clue what to do after the early goal.

Its a shame because Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and Mata could seriously damage teams week in week out if they had a manager who knows how to set them up to attack

3/10

Reading on twitter that Fellaini wasn't injured and this was all Jose's doing. Might explain why he whipped off his shirt and stormed straight down the tunnel.

If this is true, that has to be one of the most disrespectful thing Jose has ever done. 8 minutes like!!

We have 2 major problems I think that become quite apparent whenever we play someone decent:

1. We seriously struggle when teams press us, the players just look like they don't know how to handle it. Even in games we've won there have been periods where the opposition apply some pressure and pressing and our players' composure just drops off a cliff.

2. We have no idea how to attack other sides in the top 6.

jayo26 wrote: »
    It was bloody offside it don't matter if the goal was good or not which it was but it was still offside.

Even if it was disallowed we didn't deserve anything out of that game I've no problems with the goal but it was offside you can't day nah it wasn't just cause it was good goal.

if that rule was enforced, penalties would be taken over and over and over as someone breaks into the box the whole time during a penalty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement