Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

adox wrote: »
    I’ve been saying similar since Pogba was signed. If you are going to put all your eggs into his creative side being the heartbeat of the team you better do everything you can to accommodate it and his total lack of defensive awareness and contribution.

I mean an unbalanced team is an unbalanced team. When the center of the field is wide open you are in trouble.

More attacking players on the pitch doesn’t make them more attacking. It hands the initiative to the opposition and makes the team weaker.

I was delighted to see him being subbed tonight. He just didn’t bother his hole and was annonymous.

United's next signing should be a strong midfielder to pair with Matic. If you got someone like Xabi Alonso who was always in the right place at the right time and an excellent passer he would be lethal beside Matic. The two together would then allow Pogba the freedom he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

bangkok wrote: »
    you thought he was good?

He did ok with what he had.

No one was "good" you can't be good when every single player around you is bad.

In order for him to be good we need to have the ball. When we have the ball we need to use it correctly

When he had it for the most part he used it correctly.

Some nice passes, nice touches some good link up play.

He couldn't do much more IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Reading on twitter that Fellaini wasn't injured and this was all Jose's doing. Might explain why he whipped off his shirt and stormed straight down the tunnel.

If this is true, that has to be one of the most disrespectful thing Jose has ever done. 8 minutes like!!

Really poor form Jose IF true.

I can understand his frustration but take off one of the players that has been brutal for 70 minutes not a fella that you put on 8 minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is the case though....in big matches the team as a whole has sat fairly deep, yes. But in most games the back four are actually fairly exposed, with matic being asked to channel his inner Kante and cover a ridiculous amount of ground while Pogba leaves massive holes in the midfield.

All defenders have off games, and its easy to forget the many great games that jones has had this season. If I was looking at areas to prioritise for investment this summer, central midfield would be way ahead of defense for me.

All teams have off games , I’m not judging them on this game. I suppose I have never been overly confident with our lack of real central defensive partnership. They might be a defense that’s good enough for most games but they don’t inspire me when I think of playing top teams.

Missing Bailey is a problem. Injuries to Jones has been a problem. I’m just not convinced that defense is strong enough for the targets that United have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Kane had all kinds of service tonight and missed everything. He had an off night if anything.

Ya he was getting into good position s and winning the ball making chances but otherwise he was poor.

Lukaku had bascially one chance and if only for a good save he scores.

did lukaku work the 2 centre backs? did he try bully them? no

they had a very easy night tonight. his first touch is also very poor, but we didnt even see much of that tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Reading on twitter that Fellaini wasn't injured and this was all Jose's doing. Might explain why he whipped off his shirt and stormed straight down the tunnel.

If this is true, that has to be one of the most disrespectful thing Jose has ever done. 8 minutes like!!

Twitter haha. Jose said fellaini had ligament problems in his ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Sunday Supplement is rubbish but the best quote I heard regarding City and Utd or Jose/Pep.

When Jose took over Utd, they had been knocked out of the Europa League in the Last-16.

When Pep took over City, they had been eliminated from the Champions League at the semi-final stage.

City have since outspent Utd.

Every signing needs to count for United and that doesn't always happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

That felt like a bigger bossing than the City game tbh. Last time we'll see that lineup, no balance to it whatsoever.

Bit disappointed to see Mourinho hang Fellaini like that as well simply because I thought it showed a lack of composure from him. Throwing a very public strop and hooking him within 30 seconds of him failing to cut out the type of passing Spurs were at for the previous 60 minutes. Just sit still and do it, no need for the histrionics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

nullzero wrote: »
    Is he United material, what I mean by that is, is he at the same level of a Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic Pallister etc...?
    He's a talented player but being constantly injured takes its toll, look at Jack Wilshire for a comparison.
    I'm fond of Jones and would love to see him come good but United need consistency, Bailly has been a huge loss for us.

At this point in time could we argue that any of our CBs are at those levels? I think not.

Personally think this season he has been more consistent and injuries have been managed. Something Jose is focusing on. Bailly and Jones in my eyes is the best partnership and am hoping for it.

Jones prefers playing the as right sided CB, but apparently Smalling is not comfortable there at all leading to Jones playing on the left, something he can do well but is not his best in my eyes. With Bailly on the left channel and Jones on the right we have already seen how successful they played together and I'm looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

theres no way he was taken off unless he was injured

Didn't he do the same to Mata?

Worked out ok..

I rewound the game. To my untrained eye he wasn’t injured, wasn’t marking anybody and was floating around with no obvious plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really poor form Jose IF true.

I can understand his frustration but take off one of the players that has been brutal for 70 minutes not a fella that you put on 8 minutes ago.

The guys on BT speculated that Jose sent him on with a specific instruction, and Fel either ignored it or wasn't capable of carrying it out, so he pulled him immediately in favour of Herrera to do whatever said job was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

if that rule was enforced, penalties would be taken over and over and over as someone breaks into the box the whole time during a penalty.

I don't care what rule should be inforced he was offside you can put any spin on it you want but he was offside.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    United's next signing should be a strong midfielder to pair with Matic. If you got someone like Xabi Alonso who was always in the right place at the right time and an excellent passer he would be lethal beside Matic. The two together would then allow Pogba the freedom he needs.

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Terrible performance tonight. No one able to fight and win those scrappy loose balls. Think Davidson Sanchez even won a loose ball whilst sitting on his arse with two red shirts around him.

Dont get the love for Young. Good squad player but he is so frustrating to watch. Slows play up alot. Would prefer Shaw to start at left back.

Quality centre backs needed this summer but City seem to be buying them all lately. When is Bailley back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sunday Supplement is rubbish but the best quote I heard regarding City and Utd or Jose/Pep.

When Jose took over Utd, they had been knocked out of the Europa League in the Last-16.

When Pep took over City, they had been eliminated from the Champions League at the semi-final stage.

City have since outspent Utd.

Every signing needs to count for United and that doesn't always happen.

We consistently get less value for money that our rivals, we haven't signed a genuine star player who's produced the goods in years. Liverpool have a better track record than us but end up losing their top players to Barcelona.
    After the disaster of Di Maria and Falcao it's hard to get excited about signings anymore. Lingard and Rashford have been the most exciting players to come into the side in the last few years and cost nothing.

Glazers Out!

It's like a playground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

they had a very easy night tonight. his first touch is also very poor, but we didnt even see much of that tonight

I remember one of his rare moments on the ball tonight he muscled his way threw two defender s to either set up Martial or take shot himself can't quite remember.

He had very little going around him very little to work off I really can't see what more he could of done tonight.

He hasn't been at his best in other games this season but more often thrn not he works very hard. The problem being he's a forward if he's not scoring he's not playing.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I rewound the game. To my untrained eye he wasn’t injured, wasn’t marking anybody and was floating around with no obvious plan.

Jose said he was injured.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Twitter haha. Jose said fellaini had ligament problems in his ankle.

Yeah my streams behind so just heard it now.

I remember one of his rare moments on the ball tonight he muscled his way threw two defender s to either set up Martial or take shot himself can't quite remember.

He had very little going around him very little to work off I really can't see what more he could of done tonight.

He hasn't been at his best in other games this season but more often thrn not he works very hard. The problem being he's a forward if he's not scoring he's not playing.

He also "bullied" his way in for that great shot near the end.

"bullying" hard to bully anyone when a ball is played 20 yrds beyond you.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't care what rule should be inforced he was offside you can put any spin on it you want but he was offside.

if you want to be technical he is not offside, its an infringement

Lukaku has a very poor first touch at times which lets him down.

There are times i wish he would rip some of his team mates to shreds over their poor decision making/passing when he is in great positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

theres no way he was taken off unless he was injured

He didn't look injured to me, Jose was spitting blood just before he switched the sub from Rashers to Herrara, Fellainis reaction afterwards was telling too imo.

I can handle losing to spurs, they have beaten Madrid, Dortmund and Liverpool at home.

It's the manner of the defeat that is deeply concerning. We have had far too many games where we simply don't turn up. Unless there is a massive shift we will not be challenging for major honours any time soon.

The only silver lining from tonight is thst Chelsea dropped 3 points unexpectedly.

Spurs also play LFC at the weekend so one or both of them will be dropping points.

limnam wrote: »

And maybe he was, I’m just saying he didn’t look it. I really hope he was cause I’m not sure what a player can do in 8 mins!

He didn't look injured to me, Jose was spitting blood just before he switched the sub from Rashers to Herrara, Fellainis reaction afterwards was telling too imo.

I can handle losing to spurs, they have beaten Madrid, Dortmund and Liverpool at home.

It's the manner of the defeat that is deeply concerning. We have had far too many games where we simply don't turn up. Unless there is a massive shift we will not be challenging for major honours any time soon.

The only silver lining from tonight is thst Chelsea dropped 3 points unexpectedly.

Spurs also play LFC at the weekend so one or both of them will be dropping points.

They showed a replay where he clearly pulls up

jose said he was injured

lateral ligament injury

“The second goal mentally killed us..”

I’m not sure he meant it as such but that is absolutely damning of the players and their attitude.

On the Fellaini thing, you can obviously see him picking up an injury.

Watching the game i thought Fellaini was doing shuttle runs between the half way line and our own box..he jogged back and forth and challenged for a couple of headers before going off.. surely he will be gone in the summer?

• Advertisement

“The second goal mentally killed us..”

I’m not sure he meant it as such but that is absolutely damning of the players and their attitude.

On the Fellaini thing, you can obviously see him picking up an injury.

he was injured already before he went on, just broke down. lateral ligament injury, would have had his ankle strapped and probably just felt it too sore after he twisted it, shouldnt have come on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

limnam wrote: »

Obviously Jose is gonna say that. He's not gonna berate the man in front of the media and make himself look like a right c**t.

Didn't look like Fellaini was injured to myself and many others. Jose was seen shouting his head off before turning around and signalling Herrera to come on. Looks like Fellaini hadn't a clue what to do and Jose was having none of it.

Very disrespectful but nice to see him show his balls for once. Taking off Pogba and Fellaini in that manner will send a message alright to the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

He was caught late nearly as soon as he came on in one of the many crowded mill-ups that occured tonight (seemed a lot more of them than I have seen in a top flight match in a long time!) and it looked like he was hurt by it.

Martial needs to learn something else except the cut back he gets disspossed so often doing it seems like he is easy to read when he is doing it

Obviously Jose is gonna say that. He's not gonna berate the man in front of the media and make himself look like a right c**t.

Didn't look like Fellaini was injured to myself and many others. Jose was seen shouting his head off before turning around and signalling Herrera to come on. Looks like Fellaini hadn't a clue what to do and Jose was having none of it.

Very disrespectful but nice to see him show his balls for once. Taking off Pogba and Fellaini in that manner will send a message alright to the squad

Are you watching the after match coverage? Jose said he had the same injury flair up that he’s been struggling with and BT show a replay highlighting when he tweaks it and pulls up, holds his leg etc.

Jose wouldn’t shy away from saying he took him off because he wasn’t doing what he told him if that was the case.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    He was caught late nearly as soon as he came on in one of the many crowded mill-ups that occured tonight (seemed a lot more of them than I have seen in a top flight match in a long time!) and it looked like he was hurt by it.

That must be why I missed it. Only went back about 4 mins. He was still making some runs and rambling around. Rashford was getting warmed up to come on, its kind of odd he hadn’t signaled to the bench sooner.

Most players drop to the ground to stop play, wonder if Fellani thought he could run it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Martial needs to learn something else except the cut back he gets disspossed so often doing it seems like he is easy to read when he is doing it

There was one stage where Sanches didn't even really seem like he was arsed following him down the outside if he went there, just stood inside him and waited for him to cut back and give him the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Are you watching the after match coverage? Jose said he had the same injury flair up that he’s been struggling with and BT show a replay highlighting when he tweets it and pulls up, holds his leg etc.

Jose wouldn’t shy away from saying he took him off because he wasn’t doing what he told him if that was the case.

Weird how people are just willing it to be something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Didn't Jose hug/hand shake Fel as he came off? I think this is all nonsense.

• Advertisement

As much as I like him his decision making can be baffling. Like Mhikitaryan and others he tries to beat or run through people way too often and loses possession.

again, he has problems with his lateral ligament, ive done mine as well, twice, you dont need to "look injured" to be injured. he shouldnt have been on the bench if he had issues, but probably had a few injections to get him through the pain but it was obviously too much

So did Mou pull up in the camera knowing that jose was going to pull him off for playing badly so he could protect jose by been able to say see, he pulled up injured...

Football is complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Let’s put this to bed on the thread

https://twitter.com/themanutdway/status/958817341445459968

The Fellaini stuff is mad purple monkey dishwasher

right lads, team going forward.

no1 pogba never in a midfield 2 again, EVER, why buy a Ferrari and drive it like a lada

no2. Martial on the left. Always

No3. Luke Shaw starts every game left back

de gea

Valencia
    Bailly(when fit)
    Rojo
    Shaw

Matic
    Carrick
    Pogba

Sanchez
    Martial

Lukaku

or
    Matic
    Herrera/McTominay/Carrick/or whoever

Pogba

Lingard
    Sanchez

Martial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The Fellaini stuff is mad purple monkey dishwasher

Sprained Afro, could be out for the rest of the season.

Glazers Out!

astradave wrote: »

he should never have been on the bench. rushed back way too quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

he should never have been on the bench. rushed back way too quick

You can understand Jose’s thinking though, he’s a great plan B to have and especially with Ander Is so out of form. I doubt Jose could see that Pogba was going to be terrible.. usually even in the W he has some great moments and passing but his defensive ability lets him down.. tonight he was atrocious both ways

nullzero wrote: »
    Sprained Afro, could be out for the rest of the season.

He should have shaved those side burns

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement