Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm quietly optimistic about Saturday.

Jones redemption with a hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't be dropping Pogba or Jones, would bring Shaw back in to the team alright.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

My personal choice would be a team of:

De Gea
    Valencia
    Bailly---Jones----Shaw
    Herrera----Matic----Pogba
    Sanchez
    Lukaku
    Martial.

Great team. I'd also suggest Blind play instead of Herrera. Blind can pick a pass and read the game exceptionally well. With Matic providing the deep cover, and Pogba roaming forward, it seems like Blind's passing could be the key to moving the ball from defence into attack quickly.

No manager outside of the Netherlands, where he won Dutch Player of the Year as a DM, seems to want to play him in midfield and I honestly am not sure why not. He must lack something that makes him ok to play CB and LB? I honestly don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    I know people are saying drop Lingard but I'd keep him in against Huddersfield. Drop Pogba (for Herrera), Young (for Shaw) and Jones (for Rojo). The three of them were shocking last night. You can't put in those levels of performance and expect to stay in the team. Might get them to buck up.

I wouldn't drop Pogba on the back of one **** game. The subbing off is the initial kick up the ass, and then you give him another chance. If he mucks up again, then you escalate the attempt at ass kicking.

Shaw 100% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Even though Pogba was poor last night, very poor I still didn't like seeing him subbed off. He was still our most and only creative threat from midfield.

Herrera and Matic on their best day won't give us what Pogba can creatively. Yes his positioning was bad and he kept leaving his post and Matic was exposed but he needs to be unleashed in a 3 man MF with more freedom.

Pogba will be a world beater in the right formation. Jose needs to figure this out quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I didn't see the game and only caught some highlights.
    I had a gander through the match thread and once more double standards rear their head.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't calling a manager or player "a prick" a cardable offence?
    Isn't using derogatory nicknames also against the rules of the forum?
    For the first one,I even see a mod thanked it. No wonder posters here are unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Last night again proved that Pogba is not good enough to play in a 2 man midfield against the tops sides,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I had a gander through the match thread and once more double standards rear their head.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't calling a manager or player "a prick" a cardable offence?
    For the first one,I even see a mod thanked it. No wonder posters here are unhappy.

Charter says it is iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In fairness people that use the term “Moaninho” are probably about 12 and will be quickly banned from site due to said childishness.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I wouldn't drop Pogba on the back of one **** game. The subbing off is the initial kick up the ass, and then you give him another chance. If he mucks up again, then you escalate the attempt at ass kicking.

Shaw 100% though.

I'd say we could afford to be without Pogba against Huddersfield at OT. I wouldnt be as keen doing without him against Benitez away from home. Thats the main reason I would prefer to drop him Saturday. Hopefully get him back then with a big point to prove against Newcastle to help smash them down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Next game

Herrera - Matic
    Lingard - Pogba - Sanchez
    Lukaku/Rashford

Wasn't impressed with Martial or Lukaku last night. Could drop both for a game.

I'd also get Rojo and Shaw back into the team and drop Young and Jones.

I'd say we could afford to be without Pogba against Huddersfield at OT.

This crops up every now and again.

We are awful without Pogba. Despite having a dreadful game last night, it doesn't change the fact we typically play a lot, lot better with him than without, and dropping him off the back of last night will only damage us.

Huddersfield should be a different game; different play style, different mentality and we're back to OT. We're going to dominate possession there, so I'd be wanting to see as many attacking players as we can muster tbh.

4-0 on Saturday cause the flat track bullies Pogba and Lakaku will show up ,
    Both are so strange Pogba looks light years ahead of anyone on the pitch when playing the Stokes and other mid to low table teams but just gets lost in big games,
    Lakaku will always score goals wherever he goes but will not last at old Trafford beyond next season, Big clubs need there strikers to score in big games ,

We are awful without Pogba. Despite having a dreadful game last night, it doesn't change the fact we typically play a lot, lot better with him than without, and dropping him off the back of last night will only damage us.

Huddersfield should be a different game; different play style, different mentality and we're back to OT. We're going to dominate possession there, so I'd be wanting to see as many attacking players as we can muster tbh.

We can be worse with him aswell. I just really really dislike the idea that a player is undroppable. Should always be looking over their shoulder knowing that if they play shít they will loose their place to the player behind them. Otherwise complacency sets in.

We can be worse with him aswell. I just really really dislike the idea that a player is undroppable. Should always be looking over their shoulder knowing that if they play shít they will loose their place to the player behind them. Otherwise complacency sets in.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that a player should be undroppable. I just don't think Pogba's at that point yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Whilst you are discussing moderation in thread will give you a quick update.

The Moaninho one was not reported till well after midnight and I know I was in bed at the time but has since been actioned.

Alli was called scum and has been actioned.

The Alli acting the pr!ck one was reported and not actioned by anyone. Not sure why, seems like the qualifier loves acting like may have been seen to be saying he acts that way rather than he is a, will discuss in the mods forum and action as agreed. I know I missed it last night but there was a spate of reports around that time so maybe was missed because it was thought to be the same as another ones that came in around the same time. I do not know which mod thanked it but there is only one thanks on it at the moment.

[Edit]One more instance of abuse has just been reported which was not last night. This too has been actioned.[/Edit]

So one was not reported, one is going to be discussed in mods forum and the other was reported near 1am and has since been actioned. Hardly double standards.

Pogba bosses them games looks about 2 levels ahead of everyone,  its only against top teams where there's an issue that need to be figured out,

Last night was so predictable. Utd haven't put in any sort of performance against anyone decent under Mourinho. It's really not acceptable with the quality of the squad that's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Jose said that they worked or discussed the exact scenario that led to Spurs first goal. Some people presume its Jose passing the can and blaming the players. I don't think it is, I think its a manager clarifying that they worked on tactics that should of prevented the first goal but for whatever reason the players didn't follow instructions..

This ties in with my views that people are all to quick to blame a manager who can only prepare a team for a game. There aren't many things he can do to affect a game, particularly when momentum shifts against the team. Everybody can quote memorable times that a SAF team shifted momentum back in their favour (like against a very weak spurs team in 2001) but there were plenty of times United were not able to turn the tide.

Of course managers have a responsibility to prepare a team and of course they should shoulder some of the blame when things don't go right or they don't make changes that help. However, when playing top teams there are usually small margins of error and starting off a goal down throws all plans out the window. This is particularly the case when you are playing a strong team that needs to win and has already beaten the European champions at home.

If Jose really did (and I believe he did BTW) highlight spurs tactics that led to their first goal, we should accept it was a game where the players just didn't turn up, weren't as desperate to win as spurs ( because spurs HAD to win) or they simply didn't follow the managers instructions. Perhaps it was all three, but I think one thing clear from Jose's Chelsea in the past was that scoring against them was painfully difficult and every team knew that. It created an awe and anxiety that existed on a different level similar to when teams played against SAF teams.

For all the talk about United's stellar defence, I don't think top teams find United defence daunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Oh, dont get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that a player should be undroppable. I just don't think Pogba's at that point yet.

There is also the question of whether or not a player will respond well to being dropped. I don't mean that you don't drop them because they will moan or throw their toys out of the pram.

Some players self regulate and self motivate and a poor performance is all kick up the arse they need. Also some players confidence is knocked and dropping them will not help (I believe this could be the case with Lukaku).

• Advertisement

Whilst you are discussing moderation in thread will give you a quick update.

The Moaninho one was not reported till well after midnight and I know I was in bed at the time but has since been actioned.

Alli was called scum and has been actioned.

The Alli acting the pr!ck one was reported and not actioned by anyone. Not sure why, seems like the qualifier loves acting like may have been seen to be saying he acts that way rather than he is a, will discuss in the mods forum and action as agreed. I know I missed it last night but there was a spate of reports around that time so maybe was missed because it was thought to be the same as another ones that came in around the same time. I do not know which mod thanked it but there is only one thanks on it at the moment.

One more instance of abuse has just been reported which was not last night. This too has been actioned.

So one is going to be discussed in mods forum and the other was reported near 1am. Hardly double standards.

The "acting like a pr1ck" statement imo isn't a card offence.
    What annoyed me was that hours after the fact there were posts that were trolling and/or just acting the bollix still there despite the fact that there would have been quite a few mods keeping an eye on things.
    It's just the perception that if it's a dig at united then stuff is let slide, I'm just stating what the mood is. Not a criticism of you personally but just saying what the feeling is in the forum.

What annoyed me was that hours after the fact there were posts that were trolling and/or just acting the bollix still there despite the fact that there would have been quite a few mods keeping an eye on things.
    It's just the perception that if it's a dig at united then stuff is let slide, I'm just stating what the mood is. Not a criticism of you personally but just saying what the feeling is in the forum.

Its every match thread tbh. But I think thats the function of match threads nowadays. Actual match discussion occurs in the superthread.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, the feedback thread/a thread about this stuff needs to be re-opened/opened so it’s kept from the superthreads.. its not just one instance that is being recalled, it’s happening on an ongoing basis on all sides tbf and something needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads look I set up the match thread and I shouldn't of and so for that reason all I can say is I blame stu_redman he told me to do it.

astradave wrote: »
    Said it before and I’ll say it again, the feedback thread/a thread about this stuff needs to be re-opened/opened so it’s kept from the superthreads.. its not just one instance that is being recalled, it’s happening on an ongoing basis on all sides tbf and something needs to be done.

Or else wait until next year with things staying as is.

Which I doubt anyone would like.

Right,back to the football. I await Huddersfield to play like superstars on Saturday after defending like kids the other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Right,back to the football. I await Huddersfield to play like superstars on Saturday after defending like kids the other night.

Sadly at this moment in time liverpools attack is much more fluid that our attack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't think playing two in midfield is a good idea away in the Premier League.

Three in midfield is a better base for the three attackers to move around in attack. Protects the centre of defence, allows full backs to get forward, makes up for forwards not always tracking back and stops the wide forwards getting pinned too far back in decence.

With the players United have, 60 minutes in they can always go more attacking if they need too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well that was humbling.

Absolutely torturous viewing. I'll sincerely hope it was a bad day at the office, but as one of my mates said in the second half "Should we actually be concerned out strongest XI look like they are miles behind the quality required when we play actually decent teams?"

Just a pure humbling experience really after the hype of the Sanchez signing.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    You say lazy, I say outclassed.

He is often outclassed when he comes up against good midfielders.

One says lazy, one says outclassed, I say over run and again misused in a big game.

Eventually the penny will drop with Mourinho Pogba can't play in a 2 in a big game. The manager spoke during the week about focusing on the midfield in the summer window, and I sincerely hope it's to build a team around Pogba, which is basically a 3 man midfield.

Also need to address the defence in the summer. Bailly is looking incredibly unreliable fitness wise and I don't know what the story is with Lindeloff.

Jones and Smalling do this all the time, they put in weeks and weeks of clean sheets where you think they are good or good enough, then put in a ****ing horror show in a big game. Then rinse repeat, we cruise the next few weeks and think its all grand.

They are not a good enough pairing, or even players, to be holding down a CB role in a team with our aspirations. Always shudder when I see them paired together. I'd definitely be offloading Smalling anyway, absolute regression under Mourinho since Van Gaal left for him performance wise.

Thought Valencia put in a real captains performance that likely will or did go under the radar. Tried to drive the team, tried to be composed and led by example. Thought it was a great example of leadership even in adversity, that isn't banging your chest or roaring at people. Noticed it wasn't mention at all during the match which was a bit disappointing from a commentary perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads if it’s a breach of rules it will be actioned by mods. Regardless the team it’s for or against. As touched on by T4TF sometimes it takes awhile to catch up on things. For example mods were still dealing with a card issue from yesterday this morning. Not everyone is online at all times. As for last night I wasn’t online “a lot” during the match and went to bed almost immediately afterwards. It wasn’t until this morning I started to catch up and I’m sure other mods aswell. When you see a breach of the rules press report, it doesn’t matter who the poster is or who he/she follows,explain why it’s a breach, and move on. It will be dealt with ASAP which sometimes is instantly other times there is a delay.

I highlight the breach of the rules bit as a reminder just for people to ensure it’s a breach of the rules in that section and not mark everything as trolling, also flagging one post saying “ trolling all night” whilst it may be evident to you it’s better to flag all the trolling posts and let us come in and action If needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Only 3 from Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Lingard should ever play. Never want to see that 4 in a game together again after last night.

Pogba has to accomodated with two midfielders beside him since he has no interest in positioning or defensive work.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Well that was humbling.

Absolutely torturous viewing. I'll sincerely hope it was a bad day at the office, but as one of my mates said in the second half "Should we actually be concerned out strongest XI look like they are miles behind the quality required when we play actually decent teams?"

Just a pure humbling experience really after the hype of the Sanchez signing.

Rattled is another way of putting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wondering why so many are clamoring for Shaw after last night, take Young out and put him in that team and you get the exact same outcome :confused:

It was just completely unbalanced and Spurs simply played to expose our weaknesses. Pressured the players in possession they knew couldn't cope and shat all over Smalling like any good team does. Was the same as everyone else with the excitement when I seen the team sheet last night but then looked at Spurs' and it began to dawn that we weren't equipped to deal with it at all if they pressed us as efficiently as they did to sides all last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The lack of adjustments to obvious failings is worrying. The ball in behind Ashley Young was on every single time for Spurs last night. The wingers were switched in the second half but that was never closed off.

They bullied us in midfield; the need for an extra body was obvious - I'd argue that when Fellaini was introduced it was already too late. It also looked so similar to Chelsea away IMO - we didn't just sit in to try to defend which was good, but were overrun in central midfield and by forwards dropping off, with no one able to pick them up.

The team needs to find a balance between parking the bus and playing like last night in big games. The midfield is crying out for a third body who can defend when we don't have the ball, and join in when we do. That is obviously Pogba, but in the absence of someone else to play in midfield, or the managers preference to change the system, it doesn't seem to be an option.

Lukaku is too predictable, always on the last defender or offside. When the ball comes it's too predictable. He needs to learn when to drop off and bring others into play. Watching him and Kane last night was like night and day.

Also disappointing that the Shaw revival seems to have ground to a halt.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also need to address the defence in the summer. Bailly is looking incredibly unreliable fitness wise and I don't know what the story is with Lindeloff.

Jones and Smalling do this all the time, they put in weeks and weeks of clean sheets where you think they are good or good enough, then put in a ****ing horror show in a big game. Then rinse repeat, we cruise the next few weeks and think its all grand.

They are not a good enough pairing, or even players, to be holding down a CB role in a team with our aspirations. Always shudder when I see them paired together. I'd definitely be offloading Smalling anyway, absolute regression under Mourinho since Van Gaal left for him performance wise.

Thought Valencia put in a real captains performance that likely will or did go under the radar. Tried to drive the team, tried to be composed and led by example. Thought it was a great example of leadership even in adversity, that isn't banging your chest or roaring at people. Noticed it wasn't mention at all during the match which was a bit disappointing from a commentary perspective.

Well Pogba going walkies left Matic, Jones and Smalling bombarded by Kane, Alli, Dembele with Dier often ahead of Pogba aswell. While Jones was poor he was also greatly hindered by having a one man midfield ahead of him. Spurs realised this quickly and kept overloading Matic with a press. We didn't have enough bodies to keep us in any organised shape defensively.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Wondering why so many are clamoring for Shaw after last night, take Young out and put him in that team and you get the exact same outcome :confused:

Young's defensive positioning was atrocious time and again. He constantly was drifting into central defense, leaving his flank exposed. In fairness, maybe that was because SMalling and Jones were going MIA and he was trying to fill space, but I guess the hope is that maybe Shaw wouldn't have been as caught out as Young was repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Couple of thoughts about last night........

Again one could say individual errors leading to goals. Kane out jumping Jones, Matic static to second ball and blind sided lets Erikson free run, Young too slow to recognise Erikson and his run from Alli's mi****/blocked shot. Both Matic and Young in both cases were a number of yards closer to the ball than Erikson but neither reacted quick enough. If Erikson, Kane, Alli can be that sharp 10 seconds into a game i find no excuse for our players not to be. The second goal is an individual error from Jones from what should have been a relatively standard clearance. I can tolerate when a team scores a good goal against us but the number of goals through errors is annoying, in what has been a good defensive structure this season.

Poch got his tactics right. The 3 of Son, Alli and Erikson played interchanging, narrower and high pressing roles. This did 2 things......it congested the areas deep where we had the ball. It also meant that Young was having to play narrower and tighter to Jones and essentially Spurs in attacking moments had those 3 and Kane operating close and narrow to our box. This left Trippier wth an ocean of space for alot of the game. Whether Martial not helping defensively was a counter attacking tactic it left Young caught between a rock and hard place. Pogba's lack of defensive discipline contributed to this in not offering enough to Matic and the defence.

When it is congested like that and being pressed high, it's extremely hard to play out from the back. This is where you need the outlet of a striker who can relieve pressure from having the ability receive and hold up the ball. The difference between Lukaku and Kane is night and day here(dare i say Kane and most other strikers adapt at this). For a guy of his size and power he is extremely poor in this regard. His first touch often leaves a lot to be desired but it's his inability to win aerial duels is a major concern to me. Either it's a lack of intelligence as to how the trajectory of the ball is approaching him or awareness and reactions but too often we see him failing to even get close to the ball when a defender just 2 to 3 yards off him wins it easily. Kanes ability to find pockets of space between defenders is fantastic. He may not have scored but he was a constant torn in the defences side. Kane is a many levels ahead of Lukaku.

Pogba's lack of tactical discipline was extremely evident last night. Pogba has the tools to play in a 2 man midfield and be hugely dominant in one......except for one thing. Discipline. Until he adjusts that, he should be playing with 2 deeper midfielders against better opposition. Flapping your arms in the air and doing a wee tantrum stomp when losing the ball is nothing to do with ability in a role........it's purely attitude. He did this a couple of times last night , whereas his first instinct should have been to chase and try and retrieve the ball.

Every now and again every team has a ****ty day at the office, which i'm more inclined to think last night was as opposed to a continuation of form that others believe. A manager can't account for players like Matic misplacing a 4 yard pass out over the touch line, Herrera doing similar, players not showing up, defensive brain farts, or going 1 nil down after 11 seconds. Even after going 1 nil down we had a few chances where we could have equalised. The second goal was the spirit killer i thought. Even Jones leaning his head agaisnt the padded post was that defeatist mentality creeping in. So you scored an own goal........chin fcuking up and get out there. None of this showing a weak reaction to it. Would Rio, Vidic, Terry, Adams, etc have done that. Maybe.....but i doubt it.

Young's defensive positioning was atrocious time and again. He constantly was drifting into central defense, leaving his flank exposed. In fairness, maybe that was because SMalling and Jones were going MIA and he was trying to fill space, but I guess the hope is that maybe Shaw wouldn't have been as caught out as Young was repeatedly.

think that all stemmed from Pogba’s failure to track back, the fullbacks had to keep tucking inside as the CB were stepping up to help Matic to close down the space left by Pogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

TheDoc wrote: »

Disagree slightly with your assessment of the defence but you're bang on about Valencia. He was an absolute warrior last night and the only player who can walk out of that game with their head held high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

think that all stemmed from Pogba’s failure to track back, the fullbacks had to keep tucking inside as the CB were stepping up to help Matic to close down the space left by Pogba

There was a video highlighting this before. Any team with a bit of quality will be able to exploit this. Pogba moves up and there's always going to be space in behind him that you either leave open or someone has to move to cover leaving space elsewhere.

It's a simple enough problem to solve though either play 3 at the back or 2 more defensive minded midfielders along side Pogba. Remove the defensive responsibility from Pogba so he can't get caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Full backs were coming narrower and narrower to try and match up with how many players Spurs were loading that area with. Not to mention for Young specifically the amount of times in the first half alone the play would switch to his side and it would appear there was nobody in front of him and he was left 2v1 and even 3v1. Luke Shaw couldn't have made a difference to that.

Also, part of the issue with Spurs having so much joy centrally is Smalling's seemingly uncontrollable urge to challenge for every ball he sees directly in front of him no matter how unwinnable it is, how stupidly tight he has to get to a player, or even if he has to venture five yards into the opposition half and find himself further forward than his midfield. He was only good briefly when LvG gave him all the protection he could possibly have, once that's taken away you just get this drivel time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fellaini apparently out for 6 to 8 weeks.

really exposes the lack of depth we have in central midfield - Pogba, Matic, Herrera, McTominay and Carrick for what now needs to be three spots as opposed to two.

Herrea on paper, but performing poorly. I wouldn't trust either McTominay or Carrick either.

Worrying times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

really exposes the lack of depth we have in central midfield - Pogba, Matic, Herrera, McTominay and Carrick for what now needs to be three spots as opposed to two.

Herrea on paper, but performing poorly. I wouldn't trust either McTominay or Carrick either.

Worrying times.

Club spends hundreds of millions on players over the last few years and still find themselves in this position. Comical.

wong wrote: »
    Disagree slightly with your assessment of the defence but you're bang on about Valencia. He was an absolute warrior last night and the only player who can walk out of that game with their head held high.

Valencia has been our best outfield player for years now

Worrying times.

Mctominay has been good anytime he was called upon. Carrick would have done a good job last night if he was sitting in front of back 4 with matic.

kippy wrote: »
    Club spends hundreds of millions on players over the last few years and still find themselves in this position. Comical.

Its seemed enough at the start of the season before Carricks health issues and Pogba revealed his complete refusal to work in a 2 man midfield.

bangkok wrote: »
    Mctominay has been good anytime he was called upon. Carrick would have done a good job last night if he was sitting in front of back 4 with matic.

he's be absolutely average imo - doesn't stand out at all and hasn't done anything that make me think "Would like to see McTominay start, he could really add 'x' to the game"

Its seemed enough at the start of the season before Carricks health issues and Pogba revealed his complete refusal to work in a 2 man midfield.

No it didn't. People were calling for more midfield signings, especially (for me) when Pereira was let go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement