Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Very little coverage of Pep not bring a 7th sub.

If Mourinho did that, there would be absolute outrage.

There was big coverage of it and we said it on here yesterday. He was called pathetic and rightfully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

jayo26 wrote: »
    Has he actively tried to do something about it though? He rejected the opportunity to talk to fans. Where were his balls then?

Why should he talk to the fans? I donno if fergie would of done it either but why should he? Fans these days are different then fans of 20 years ago they are all full of small grouos of people forming a bunch of opinions on forums and assuming the entire place is the same.

It's not Jose job to be a go between with the fans he is there to look after the team it's the club that should be doing something about it.

I think if he’s big enough to criticise them he’s big enough to talk to them.

Has he praised the away support much? Fair play if he has I just don’t remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

There was big coverage of it and we said it on here yesterday. He was called pathetic and rightfully so.

Would be headlines for days if it was Mourinho. Very little said yesterday, especially on sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Has he praised the away support much? Fair play if he has I just don’t remember.

If he meets up with one small section of the fan base, every fan group would be looking for a meeting, I’d rather he concentrate his time on his job..

I actually think he has praised them.

This thing about been big enough do you realise how petty that is as if he is picking a fight or something.

Jose does press conferences which he is brutally honest in most of the times he says it as he sees it I don't think any supporter disagrees with him that the atmosphere in old Trafford is dead at times so he is not saying something that's false.

So what would happen at a meeting? A group of guys meeting a man to tell him they don't like how he plays football. Jose responds thats cool lads but I've won 2 European cups and 7 league titles and few others blah blah blah I'll play football to be as successful as possible thank you good bye.

astradave wrote: »
    If he meets up with one small section of the fan base, every fan group would be looking for a meeting, I’d rather he concentrate his time on his job..

Was it even the official fan group or just red cafe or something?

Saw a headline on Sky the other day that went something like ‘How long until Klopp is criticised?’, as if they haven’t been the main broadcaster of the league since its inception and the port of call for most analysis.

I actually think he has praised them.

This thing about been big enough do you realise how petty that is as if he is picking a fight or something.

Jose does press conferences which he is brutally honest in most of the times he says it as he sees it I don't think any supporter disagrees with him that the atmosphere in old Trafford is dead at times so he is not saying something that's false.

So what would happen at a meeting? A group of guys meeting a man to tell him they don't like how he plays football. Jose responds thats cool lads but I've won 2 European cups and 7 league titles and few others blah blah blah I'll play football to be as successful as possible thank you good bye.

Hey man you started talking about his balls. If you hadn’t said that I wouldn’t have said anything about how big he is. :)

I just think it’s a cheap shot at the fans from a guy who doesn’t have to solve the issue, and knows it’s not something that’s going to change anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hey man you started talking about his balls. If you hadn’t said that I wouldn’t have said anything about how big he is. :)

I just think it’s a cheap shot at the fans from a guy who doesn’t have to solve the issue, and knows it’s not something that’s going to change anyway.

Maybe those fans need a reality check to shut their whinging.

• Advertisement

Was it even the official fan group or just red cafe or something?

Ah it was an official group I think but there is hundreds of official groups

It's not a cheap shot it's a shot that's designed to get a reaction for the next game. Majority of fans love Jose and sing his song every game he will have full support as per usual apart from the few handful that's in every club.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Maybe those fans need a reality check to shut their whinging.

They can do as whinging as they like IMO as at the end of they pay their money to go to the match, it reflects worse on those that moan at the matches I think..

It doesn’t give them a right for any meeting with anyone from the club bar the fan/supporter group mediator..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jose's job us to manage the team, not the company.

The atmosphere is an issue. Fans groups are obviously needed to be part of any solution but the discussions of those solutions need to be with the people in charge of seating structures, club policies towards fans, pricing structures etc - i think Jose could be an advocate to some degree of the need for changes, but there is no real benefit to Jose meeting the groups directly, he wouldn't be responsible for instigating any changes required.

So, Jose can point to the blatant lack of atmosphere, just as fans do - but that doesn't make him responsible for fixing it. The responsibility is on others. I don't know ow why mindbender has such a problem with him on this to be honest. It's a well known issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Why should he talk to the fans? I donno if fergie would of done it either but why should he? Fans these days are different then fans of 20 years ago they are all full of small groups of people forming a bunch of opinions on forums and assuming the entire place is the same.

It's not Jose job to be a go between with the fans he is there to look after the team it's the club that should be doing something about it.

Agreed. He’s pointing out an issue and is actually doing us a favor by putting pressure on owners to do something about it.

I remember fan groups publically pushing for SAF to condemn the Glazers takeover and he stayed out of it. He had more pull and was a united institution and he still stayed out of it. Fair play to Jose for speaking up on an issue that, if addressed properly , could really benefit the fans and team long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What gets on my tits is the amount of "tourists" who are just happy to be in the stadium and spend 99% of their time taking photos or sitting in awe instead of getting involved in making a bit of noise. Even if English isn't your first language, it's not hard to learn a few chants and sing along.
    I suppose,I could be classed as a tourist as I'm from Ireland but I tend to make some noise and get involved instead of sitting like an eejit with a stupid grin on my face 'cos I'm at the Theatre of Dreams.
    This isn't just a United thing,Anfield "famous atmosphere" is a bit misleading too,it can be like a library at times and any Liverpool fan that says otherwise is a liar.
    Back in the day I suppose travelling from anywhere in the world to games was more prohibitive than now so it was more locals than tourists at games. Look at the noise the United travelling fans make at every game they go to,it's amazing.
    The club have tried to address the issue with J Stand and in fairness they bring noise to a part of the stadium that was traditionally quiet.

• Advertisement

100 percent agree with Mitch and drumpot on this and it's another example of everything Jose says has to be a negative it can't be anything positive in the eyes of the media and some fans.

I really think the problem is that the stadium is so big and the way it's set out with pockets if fans that are going for the experience ect I think anfield suffers similar at times and I don't mean that as a dig or anything they have a fantastic atmosphere with their song and what not but it goes threw quiet spells in games too.

What gets on my tits is the amount of "tourists" who are just happy to be in the stadium and spend 99% of their time taking photos or sitting in awe instead of getting involved in making a bit of noise. Even if English isn't your first language, it's not hard to learn a few chants and sing along.
    I suppose,I could be classed as a tourist as I'm from Ireland but I tend to make some noise and get involved instead of sitting like an eejit with a stupid grin on my face 'cos I'm at the Theatre of Dreams.
    This isn't just a United thing,Anfield "famous atmosphere" is a bit misleading too,it can be like a library at times and any Liverpool fan that says otherwise is a liar.
    Back in the day I suppose travelling from anywhere in the world to games was more prohibitive than now so it was more locals than tourists at games. Look at the noise the United travelling fans make at every game they go to,it's amazing.
    The club have tried to address the issue with J Stand and in fairness they bring noise to a part of the stadium that was traditionally quiet.

Its not always the tourist fans fault tho mate I was over at the Southampton game last year using someone else's season ticket and the bunch of lads that were season ticket holders were all sitting around us and as ignorant as fuk you would be afraid to join in.

My best ever experience in old Trafford was in the Stretford end real hard core lads and proper singing all game.

Its not always the tourist fans fault tho mate I was over at the Southampton game last year using someone else's season ticket and the bunch of lads that were season ticket holders were all sitting around us and as ignorant as fuk you would be afraid to join in.

My best ever experience in old Trafford was in the Stretford end real hard core lads and proper singing all game.

There's always a couple of knobs. They see a different face sitting in a season ticket seat at every home game and are resentful. I've not had anything like that and generally had the craic with 'locals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Speaking of Johnstone here's a quote from Steve Bruce from yesterday.
    “We hope he will be our keeper for the next five years. That would delight me. He is a big tick as far as we are concerned.
    But whether we can do a deal, we will have to wait until the end of the season.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-reveal-ambitious-plans-14237217

We triggered the extension on his contract so he can't go for free this summer. So it all really depends on if Villa get promoted. If they do they'll look to buy him with the added finances apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hate chanting. I'm gonna sit and watch and analyse and enjoy. Chanting is not my idea of enjoyment.

Some Asian tourist at the Stoke game across the aisle from me was standing up at the build up to kick off with his camera out and recording. I'm sure he just wanted a quick clip of the cheer and kick off when some fella shouts across the "Sit the **** down!" and all you could hear was a sheepish "sorry" as he sat down. It was really funny but I felt for the lad!

It was the fan equivalent of the "Welcome to English Football Tackle".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pay your money, you can do what you want within reason.

Bring a book and occasionally glance down at the pitch for all I care.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hate chanting. I'm gonna sit and watch and analyse and enjoy. Chanting is not my idea of enjoyment.

Some Asian tourist at the Stoke game across the aisle from me was standing up at the build up to kick off with his camera out and recording. I'm sure he just wanted a quick clip of the cheer and kick off when some fella shouts across the "Sit the **** down!" and all you could hear was a sheepish "sorry" as he sat down. It was really funny but I felt for the lad!

It was the fan equivalent of the "Welcome to English Football Tackle".

So it's all your fault then!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My favourite experience at OT was a game against Blackburn years ago, and was sitting right beside the Blackburn away fans.

Both sets of fans were more engaged with each other than the match, but the chants back and forth, telling each other who we should fornicate with, was wicked fun.

I do accept that everyone who pays their ticket can chant or not as they want, but I do be jealous when I see other home grounds rocking all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Most big clubs/big grounds suffer from the same lack of atmosphere these days.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Most big clubs/big grounds suffer from the same lack of atmosphere these days.

Could be worse,we could support City. They just about fill the ground on Derby Day and after that it's empty seats all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The locals can be welcoming and hostile in equal measures.

I remember the first time I went to Old Trafford we(me and my sister) had arranged to meet a local who was a friend of a friend, who we had never met before, in a pub in the centre of Manchester to get tickets.

He arrived on time with a couple of his mates, had season tickets for us for the game from mates who weren’t going and would only take the fave value price. They stayed and drank with us and asked if we wanted to tag along with them when they headed out to the game which we did. Got the tram out with them etc and entered the Stretford End with them. They sat in a different section than us and towards the end of the game the guy came back to us to take back the seaon ticket passes, gave us his phone number and said if we ever want tickets again to give him a shout. Said there was always someone who couldn’t make match day so he could usually find a couple of tickets. Was as sound and welcom8ng as they come.

On the way out we lost our bearings trying to make our way back into Manchester. We were ina rush as had to get back to Liverpool for a flight home so asked a few people to point us in the right direction and were bluntly told to **** off. We eventually got directions from a guy at a stand selling scarves etc but even during that we were told to **** off home etc by some passers by from the game who were obviously Mancunians and didn’t like tourist fans like us.

Our over riding memory though was the hospitality of the local lads who got us the tickets, drank with us and brought us out to the stadium with them knowing it was our first visit.

Oh and we just made out flight from Liverpool and were home in Dublin in time to watch the highlights of the game on match of the day.

Been to a couple of games in the Netherlands and th atmosphere over there is something else.

Have a friend over there who is a Den Haag season ticket holder and have gone to a couple of games with him. A home game for Den Haag in the league with his dad and a few of his mates whom I’d never met before and had a brilliant night. Great atmosphere, welcomed by all and Den Haag won 3-0! They asked me could I fly over again in two weeks for their next home game 😊(they usually are fighting relegation or are mid table at best.

The other game I went to was a pre season tournament with the same guy. It was Feyenoord, I think it was their centenary or something ad they had a mini tournament involving themselves Inter, Celtic and Spurs. The atmosphere there was something else. Bit of an edge to it too with the Feyenoord fans who had a couple of run ins with the Stewarts and security. A couple of lads had kept a couple of balls that landed in our stand behind the goals and whe; Stewarts and security came up to try and throw them out when they found out who they were, a load of lads made their way down to them and stood in front of their seats and wouldn’t let security near them. Lots of abuse shouted at them as well until they left the stand empty handed. Was gas to see!

adox wrote: »
    The locals can be welcoming and hostile in equal measures.

I remember the first time I went to Old Trafford we(me and my sister) had arranged to meet a local who was a friend of a friend, who we had never met before, in a pub in the centre of Manchester to get tickets.

He arrived on time with a couple of his mates, had season tickets for us for the game from mates who weren’t going and would only take the fave value price. They stayed and drank with us and asked if we wanted to tag along with them when they headed out to the game which we did. Got the tram out with them etc and entered the Stretford End with them. They sat in a different section than us and towards the end of the game the guy came back to us to take back the seaon ticket passes, gave us his phone number and said if we ever want tickets again to give him a shout. Said there was always someone who couldn’t make match day so he could usually find a couple of tickets. Was as sound and welcom8ng as they come.

On the way out we lost our bearings trying to make our way back into Manchester. We were ina rush as had to get back to Liverpool for a flight home so asked a few people to point us in the right direction and were bluntly told to **** off. We eventually got directions from a guy at a stand selling scarves etc but even during that we were told to **** off home etc by some passers by from the game who were obviously Mancunians and didn’t like tourist fans like us.

Our over riding memory though was the hospitality of the local lads who got us the tickets, drank with us and brought us out to the stadium with them knowing it was our first visit.

Oh and we just made out flight from Liverpool and were home in Dublin in time to watch the highlights of the game on match of the day.

Maybe asking them how to get back to Liverpool didn't help. ;):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

The media’s love affair with Pep and with City drives me demented. I have disliked Pep and Barcelona for a long time; I found them so pious and holier than thou over the years. All that “Mes Que Un Club” sh1te and then they signed up with Qatar which is arguably the worst of the Middle East regimes.

But now it’s even worse. Leaving a spot on the bench empty?! That is disgraceful; if Jose did that, there’d be uproar and allegations of being unwilling to promote youth. What message does what Pep did send out to the City Academy? And his playing the poor mouth with regard to transfers and spending is offensive to the rest of the league.

United have won the right to spend big by being good at football for generations and being popular because of it. Manchester City and Chelsea are succesful solely on the basis that they are vehicles to launder the reputations of their owners; I watched a City game recently and there were empty seats and ads for Abu Dhabi all over the stadium. The media should be doing exposes on City. Manchester United should be the darlings of the media and the purists’ favourite, but instead we’re subjected to this “Pep is God” narrative.

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you want to experience a proper atmosphere go to an away game. The craic, sing song before in the local pubs and during the match is a whole different experience.

• Advertisement

Maybe asking them how to get back to Liverpool didn't help. ;):):)

Trying to get back to the centre of Manchester to get the coach back. :D

Liverpool ahead. Bollix.

The two best United games I’ve been at in terms of atmosphere were both Champions League semi-finals; away to Arsenal in 2009 (3-1) and home to Barcelona in 2008 (1-0). Sensational.

The media’s love affair with Pep and with City drives me demented. I have disliked Pep and Barcelona for a long time; I found them so pious and holier than thou over the years. All that “Mes Que Un Club” sh1te and then they signed up with Qatar which is arguably the worst of the Middle East regimes.

But now it’s even worse. Leaving a spot on the bench empty?! That is disgraceful; if Jose did that, there’d be uproar and allegations of being unwilling to promote youth. What message does what Pep did send out to the City Academy? And his playing the poor mouth with regard to transfers and spending is offensive to the rest of the league.

United have won the right to spend big by being good at football for generations and being popular because of it. Manchester City and Chelsea are succesful solely on the basis that they are vehicles to launder the reputations of their owners; I watched a City game recently and there were empty seats and ads for Abu Dhabi all over the stadium. The media should be doing exposes on City. Manchester United should be the darlings of the media and the purists’ favourite, but instead we’re subjected to this “Pep is God” narrative.

Rant over!

Part of that is because united is massive in comparison to City and most people who follow English football have some sort of strong feelings on united (good or bad) and the seagulls circle the trawler with the most fish....

The two best United games I’ve been at in terms of atmosphere were both Champions League semi-finals; away to Arsenal in 2009 (3-1) and home to Barcelona in 2008 (1-0). Sensational.

I was at that Barca game. That was the best.

Liverpool 3-0 where Mascherano talked himself into a red was also special.

Drumpot wrote: »

Rant over!

Part of that is because united is massive in comparison to City and most people who follow English football have some sort of strong feelings on united (good or bad) and the seagulls circle the trawler with the most fish....

If only more of them realised that one of main reasons the Emiratis bought them is the fact that they’ve the word “Manchester” in their name! Lest we forget the rumour (which I hope is true) that Robinho told the people close to him that he couldn’t wait to line out with Ryan Giggs for Manchester!

I see it didn't take spurs long to **** the bed. Perfect game now for the other lot.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If only more of them realised that one of main reasons the Emiratis bought them is the fact that they’ve the word “Manchester” in their name! Lest we forget the rumour (which I hope is true) that Robinho told the people close to him that he couldn’t wait to line out with Ryan Giggs for Manchester!

Sure didn't Dani Alves say something similar not that long ago too, something to the effect of that he'd never heard of City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I see it didn't take spurs long to **** the bed. Perfect game now for the other lot.

Meh, stays like this we are 8 clear of 5th, happy out.

Draw preferable, Pool win acceptable.

Frustrating that we could have had top four utterly wrapped up if we hadn't **** the bed against them last week.

• Advertisement

Meh, stays like this we are 8 clear of 5th, happy out.

Of course but be honest top 4 is not in danger as I have been consistently repeating since those 3 draws at Christmas :) watching the other lot get out of the top 4 by the end of the season would be a nice way to end though. Less chance of that if they beat their rivals. Arsenal should make a push for it now hopefully too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Rant over!

Wow... some sense of entitlement there.

Maybe people love Pep because he is f*cking AMAZING at his job and his teams play amazing football and win sh*tloads. When United were playing amazing football and winning infinite under Fergie they were the media darlings and rightly so.

The concept that "they should love us because we're man united and look at our history" is pretty much what United fans have laughed at Liverpool fans for saying for the last 30 years. Laughable.

Of course but be honest top 4 is not in danger as I have been consistently repeating since those 3 draws at Christmas :) watching the other lot get out of the top 4 by the end of the season would be a nice way to end though. Less chance of that if they beat their rivals. Arsenal should make a push for it now hopefully too.

It will end with

City

Us and Pool fighting for second and third

Chelsea and Spurs battling for forth.

Tbh, I'd say a loss today kills it for Spurs, but Chelsea are having their once every two years meltdown now, so might stand a chance.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It will end with

City

Us and Pool fighting for second and third

Chelsea and Spurs battling for forth.

Tbh, I'd say a loss today kills it for Spurs, but Chelsea are having their once every two years meltdown now, so might stand a chance.

Very possible at this point alright. I'm interested to see how things go once CL is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Maybe people love Pep because he is f*cking AMAZING at his job and his teams play amazing football and win sh*tloads. When United were playing amazing football and winning infinite under Fergie they were the media darlings and rightly so.

The concept that "they should love us because we're man united and look at our history" is pretty much what United fans have laughed at Liverpool fans for saying for the last 30 years. Laughable.

Yep i would agree with that. Utd under fergie got all the right headlines and were admired, even if hated up and down the country.

When we play like we did against spurs away, or liverpool away or city at home we can hardly expect any plaudits

Just not true.

• Advertisement

Rant over!

It’s not a sense of entitlement. Manchester United are the biggest club in England because we’re the most successful club in England.

The media should shine a light on the human and employee rights records of Abu Dhabi and Qatar, and the business history of Chelsea’s owner. They should also hammer Pep for his “empty seat” carry-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They should also hammer Pep for his “empty seat” carry-on.

Why? Empty seats are commonplace at city games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Alli might be my most hated player in the league and he's been absolutely shíte today and just got booked for a pathetic dive.

Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Some goal from Salah!

I agree that no club should expect to be loved but I remember a very different media to the one you mentioned. Any manager who put it up to SAF was the media darling. Dalglish, Keegan, Wenger , Jose, Pep.

When Fergie questioned fixtures the usual “maybe they should change the league to suit him” was quoted. When Wenger and other managers started to saying it, it was just quoted as a manager concerned with fixture pillup and he safety of his players.

Jose was admired for showing absolutely no respect to united or SAF. They adored him and it’s no coincidence that he is now hated and targeted for that exact kind of attitude. The club is on an upward curve and how anybody could think the media has been objective or fair about united over the years is odd.

You need only look at the horsesh*t coverage of United’s signings and spending versus City’s to see that the common bias continues to exist. Sure Jose was getting stick for saying he needed more players at Christmas and look at the crap Pep is spewing because he finally has a few injuries! But that’s not surprising, the media want people reading their crap and more people like to read stories about united. There is a reason why united has the highest turnover Even though it’s a relatively unsuccessful period in comparison to the SAF years!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement