Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• fyfe79 wrote: »
    Gotta have a reply to this. Van Dijk played well today. It's clear from the replays behind the goal that Lamela wasn't touched - Van Dijk saw him coming and pulled out. Lamela dived, simple as. I thought it was a penalty at first too but the replays from behind the goal are conclusive. Wrong call.

In regards his overall performance since joining, it's been fine. He had no real pre-season with Southampton and didn't really feature much for them before January. He's also now joined a new club playing a different system and with new team-mates.

Very easy to say he's been shambolic (especially here) but it's just not true. His only blunder has been the Swansea goal and for that reason I rate his overall performance as ok. Otherwise I would say he's been very good, while getting better as he gains full fitness.

Honestly

He's been underwhelming so far. It's a big price tag and tbf should be given a good run before he's judged fairly.

But so far he's been bang average.

Ultimately the problems lie with Klopps inability to organise his defence and you have goalkeeping issues which doesn't help.

Changing personnel will only do so much.

Anyway back to Utd, feel free to discuss on general thread with me if you wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Honestly

He's been underwhelming so far. It's a big price tag and tbf should be given a good run before he's judged fairly.

Ultimately the problems lie with Klopps inability to organise his defence and you have goalkeeping issues which doesn't help.

This bit made me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

niallo27 wrote: »
    This bit made me laugh.

As you do to us constantly Niallo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is a gif in the General PL thread that shows him hitting Lamela cleanly to the back of the knee, because Lamela goes down theatrically does not take away from the fact that contact was made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    There is a gif in the General PL thread that shows him hitting Lamela cleanly to the back of the knee, because Lamela goes down theatrically does not take away from the fact that contact was made

I actually don't to think there was any contact at all but ya know what I don't care ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://mobile.twitter.com/MHChehade/status/960219095105986560?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Van djik never touched him, if we conceded a last min peno to that i would be fuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

People need their eyes checked if they think he wasn’t touched there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Honestly

Fair points. The highlighted bit it spot on. He needs a full pre-season before he can be judged. I wouldn't judge Sanchez based on his performance against Spurs either, as he was/is also settling in at a new club. Both clubs will see the best of these players next season.

Well I do wear glasses but didn't think they were that bad.

Just because there is contact doesnt make it a peno. Lamela clearly dived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

From the official LFC forum.

'I hope Moss’ family get cancer and die. And hope his seeds get cancer too.'

Stay classy lads.Stay classy.

I haven't seen that but by chance was it Toby?

Throw it up sure Niallo and all the lads that are busy in here can see it as they’ll miss it in the other threads as this is their main haunt after a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/960223856890974208

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/960224282310860800

When does Jose go up in front of the FA for those comments? ;) With him it's offensive,with Klopp it's passion..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    Just because there is contact doesnt make it a peno. Lamela clearly dived

You can't kick the back of a guys legs, you can't make a legal tackle when you can't win the ball.

Honestly this is so tiring. This raging against the tide regardless of the issue.....surely you have better things to be doing?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think anyone feeling sorry for Liverpool should get a 24 hour ban just to refocus their minds. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jaysus lads, Spurs humiliated us the other evening and our record signing went missing then was taken off when he eventually was located.

Can we save the point scoring for when we have some actual points to score?

Jaysus lads, Spurs humiliated us the other evening and our record signing went missing then was taken off when he eventually was located.

So you can't enjoy or laugh at something funny unless you are pretty much perfect yourself?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Jayo is off to specsavers as we speak

https://twitter.com/utdholic/status/960221720882925568

Nah, watching Klopp running like a maniac down the line celebrating and forgetting about setting up his team to defend the lead deserves to be mocked.
    Any misfortune that befalls them should be celebrated here.

No

• Advertisement

Now they have clips flooding social media of the linesman's "fist clench" when the penalty is awarded.
    The X Files is probably classed as a documentary on Merseyside.

Jayo is off to specsavers as we speak

https://twitter.com/utdholic/status/960221720882925568

I'm sorry but no. From that view it looks like he made contact because.of the camera but if you look at the gif from the other view it is clear that he pulled the foot away.

So you can't enjoy or laugh at something funny unless you are pretty much perfect yourself?

Well I'd hold the opinion that if someone manages to do something that I couldn't do myself, i cant really afford to scoff at them.

If it was one of the relegation fodder that's one thing but we have consistently shyt the bed against our top 4 rivals over the last 18 months, give or take the odd game.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but no. From that view it looks like he made contact because.of the camera but if you look at the gif from the other view it is clear that he pulled the foot away.

Seriously, there is a video straight down the line that shows him kick him.

Well I'd hold the opinion that if someone manages to do something that I couldn't do myself, i cant really afford to scoff at them.

If it was one of the relegation fodder that's one thing but we have consistently shyt the bed against our top 4 rivals over the last 18 months, give or take the odd game.

United being above them in the table means we can scoff then surely as United have done something Liverpool haven't managed to do in points accumulation. Spurs **** the bed today, in gitfting them the lead, then missing the go ahead penalty.

Liverpool Liverpooled and I for one enjoyed the hell out of that second half.

Spurs threw away 2 points.

jayo26 wrote: »

Look at Lamela’s leg where the contact is, you can see it move in the exact position

Look at Lamela’s leg where the contact is, you can see it move in the exact position

https://twitter.com/AA_Richards/status/960226097303576576?s=17

Changed my mind after seen this.

That appointment is booked for 10 in morning.

We beat spurs at home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

To be fair, that's a pretty clear-cut view of it. The linesman was right after all, it was a pen tbf. I've changed my mind.

• Advertisement

You can't kick the back of a guys legs, you can't make a legal tackle when you can't win the ball.

Honestly this is so tiring. This raging against the tide regardless of the issue.....surely you have better things to be doing?

Clearly doesn’t tho

• fyfe79 wrote: »
    Fair points. The highlighted bit it spot on. He needs a full pre-season before he can be judged. I wouldn't judge Sanchez based on his performance against Spurs either, as he was/is also settling in at a new club. Both clubs will see the best of these players next season.

I don't think Sanchez was a problem at all against Spurs

The issue was an incorrect selection in midfield by Jose

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

That Van Dijk incident was a blatant penalty. As for Sanchez, I reckon he’s been very good so far. The man oozes quality.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Clearly doesn’t tho

Im not a sheep.

That penalty incident yesterday at old trafford was a peno but was never a red card. Adox posted last night saying it was a def peno and red card. Got loads of thanks (presume they thought it was a red as well)

Jayop said it was violent conduct and a def red. No chance was it violent conduct.

Did you think it was red?

Im not a sheep.

That penalty incident yesterday at old trafford was a peno but was never a red card. Adox posted last night saying it was a def peno and red card. Got loads of thanks (presume they thought it was a red as well)

Jayop said it was violent conduct and a def red. No chance was it violent conduct.

Stop jumping around with the goalposts on your back that was clearly a different scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Im not a sheep.

I feel like Bill Murray in groundhog day. We have had this discussion already.

• Advertisement

I feel great...

Nothing like 2 of your rivals dropping points against each other, and the possibility of another doing the same tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The challenge on McTomminay happens anywhere else on the pitch and its a free kick. Should have been a penalty imo.

Whats the rule regarding red card and/or peno. Isnt it a case of one or the other now?

Thought a few Huddersfield players were very close to red cards. Glad to get the win

• bangkok wrote: »
    Im not a sheep.

I never try and single you out. And I always challange your posts fairly. But there seems to be alot of this "stop picking on Bangkok" going on.

Honestly nearly everything you have posted recently has been hyperbolic or against the grain for the sake of it.

Im convinced you know how **** of a challange it was on Mctominey and you are getting a kick out of saying otherwise.

It's beyond me how anyone can think it wasn't anything but completely dangerous.

He could have seriously been hurt in either his head or neck.

Stop talking waffle Bangkok seriously

Nothing personal but what you are saying is utter bolox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I never try and single you out. And I always challange your posts fairly. But there seems to be alot of this "stop picking on Bangkok" going on.

Honestly everything you have posted recently has it has been hyperbolic or against the grain for the sake of it.

Im convinced you know how **** of a challange it was on Mctominey and you are getting a kick out of saying otherwise.

It's beyond me how anyone can think it wasn't anything but completely dangerous.

He could have seriously been hurt I'm either his head or neck.

Taylor Twellman was doing his nut in America over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

The Irish government should have sent Southampton to negotiate with the Troika.

funniest thing I've read in a while. Good man.

• Advertisement

Honestly nearly everything you have posted recently has been hyperbolic or against the grain for the sake of it.

He could have seriously been hurt in either his head or neck.

2 lads going for a ball and one gets clattered. It was 100% a peno but never a red card.

Anyway, if its violent conduct he will get a 3 match ban but id bet my house on it he wont.

2 lads going for a ball and one gets clattered. It was 100% a peno but never a red card.

Anyway, if its violent conduct he will get a 3 match ban but id bet my house on it he wont.

I'd agree with you tbh.

I don't think there was anything intentional in it but it was definitely a foul.

One could make the argument that it was reckless/dangerous play from the Hudds player and therefore should have been a red but the flip side is that any 50/50 ball where players collide could be a red.

McT landed very hard on his head/neck area which made it look worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That Liverpool incident is a perfect example of why VAR is a fools errand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That Liverpool incident is a perfect example of why VAR is a fools errand.

What do you mean?

• bangkok wrote: »

When you continue to say never a peno then this is why it frustrates people. There is definitely an argument to be made that it was wreckless.

Therefore a red.

I'd agree with you tbh.

I don't think there was anything intentional in it but it was definitely a foul.

One could make the argument that it was reckless/dangerous play from the Hudds player and therefore should have been a red but the flip side is that any 50/50 ball where players collide could be a red.

McT landed very hard on his head/neck area which made it look worse.

If that challenge was made on a rugby pitch, bear in mind the tackles allowed in rugby, it would be a sending off straight away for dangerous play and leading with the shoulder.. if you look at the replay he actually has eyes on Mac when he is jumping to the challenge, he knows he hasn’t a hope of winning the ball so the next best thing is to leave his mark. Huddersfield seemed to be sent out to leave their mark on Uniteds players

When you continue to say never a peno then this is why it frustrates people. There is definitely an argument to be made that it was wreckless.

Therefore a red.

I said it was a peno... all along.... 100% a peno!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What do you mean?

There are two problems with VAR, whether you could and whether you should.

That penalty touches on the former. Hours later and with all the different viewpoints and still people cannot actually agree if it was a penalty or not.

Had it went to VAR and a decision made you still would have 50% of viewers disagreeing and frustrated at the decision making, so when it comes to the bigger picture VAR wouldn't have made a whit of difference.

Also at no point did any of the commentators think it was a red, or the lads in studio, or the ref that was looking at it in the studio or the lads on match of the day.

If that challenge was made on a rugby pitch, bear in mind the tackles allowed in rugby, it would be a sending off straight away for dangerous play and leading with the shoulder.. if you look at the replay he actually has eyes on Mac when he is jumping to the challenge, he knows he hasn’t a hope of winning the ball so the next best thing is to leave his mark. Huddersfield seemed to be sent out to leave their mark on Uniteds players

They dont head the ball in rugby so that doesnt make any sense to use rugby as an example

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement