Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ollkiller wrote: »
    I love watching soccer but i hate most soccer fans. I've been to 2 games in England and never again. Mob mentality from grown men, disgusting chants and just that laddish mentality that you should have grown out of by 25 years of age. Then there's the our supporters are better than your supporters because we support team A and you support team B. Christ above. It'll never change though. I know everyone won't agree with that view but that's how i see it. I won't even go into a pub to watch a game anymore as it's getting the same as going to a match.

Yeah I'm a big advocate against this crap about "away fans" or "stadium attending" fans are the real fans or hardcore base of the club. IT's nonsense, its a global club with popularity.

Having now attended two games at OT, some of the terrace opinion and even opinion around the ground in pubs is borderline laughable. Someone living in the region that can attend the games frequently might well be a more steeped local supporter, but I don't believe it makes them any more important or passionate about the club then me, watching on TV.

And its part of the issue someone like Mourinho doesn't get. If you want a ructious atmosphere, drop ticket pricing and have priority for local residents and the local fanbase.

However if you want to continue spending 50m+ pounds on players, you need to embrace the global nature of the club, and accept there will be fans like me who will come and it's very much a jaw dropping and encapsulating experience, and I'm focused on viewing the game and soaking the occasion, not getting on my feet screaming and shouting.

I'd like someone at the club to actually pull Jose up on this, explain just how big United is, and tell him to stop moaning about the atmosphere, that those quiet fans making long haul trips to the ground are what enables him to buy the players he wants. And that if he would like fans losing their ****, he needs to accept there is more then just "the result" that matters. Otherwise shut up about it.

While I don't think its intentional on his part, he can be so condescending to the non-local fanbase.

bangkok wrote: »
    its all only a bit of craic, well most of it anyway.

I love being in the pub (or old trafford) when utd play liverpool. banter is always good and thats the way it should be. you will always have a few idiots on either side but thats just the way society is

A pub I was in two years ago near the ground, had this guy. He was clearly hard as nails, or making himself out to be. Covered in gold jewellery, tattoos neck to ankle all United in nature, bald, face like he's got a few digs on his way.

In the toilet, two people were speaking about the CM situation and how Schweinsteiger should be our single holding DM with Carrick dropped, and play more offensive at home in the midfield area. This guy turned around from the urinal and just in an aggressive manner started telling them they hadn't a clue, waxed lyrical about Carrick, with his only point being he was English and how long he was at the club. Everyone else in the toilet just emphatically agreed with him, along with the two lads having the conversation in the first place. Looking at him over the course of the time in the pub, he was just holding court, with opinions based on no reality, and everyone just nodding along.

I couldn't shake it out of my head for the game as I watched Carrick play an absolute howler of a game, whilst Schweinsteger was immense. Like if thats what shapes local fan opinion, the seemingly "dedicated" and "hardcore" base...well.....

That's not an advocation against the pub atmosphere on a match day, just a scene that will stick with me, and always does when I'm hearing a pundit, journalist or anyone mention "well the fans in the stadium" I basically think, well thats how easily their opinion gets changed or formed.

It was a weird experience mind you. I've no idea what the name of the place was, but we had to like, sign up for membership, got treated like **** at the bar because we weren't regulars I guess, were getting looks nonstop inside, until we just moved outside to the smoking area, in the rain to get the drinks in where we felt a bit more comfortable, and there was a better mingling atmosphere outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    A pub I was in two years ago near the ground, had this guy. He was clearly hard as nails, or making himself out to be. Covered in gold jewellery, tattoos neck to ankle all United in nature, bald, face like he's got a few digs on his way.

In the toilet, two people were speaking about the CM situation and how Schweinsteiger should be our single holding DM with Carrick dropped, and play more offensive at home in the midfield area. This guy turned around from the urinal and just in an aggressive manner started telling them they hadn't a clue, waxed lyrical about Carrick, with his only point being he was English and how long he was at the club. Everyone else in the toilet just emphatically agreed with him, along with the two lads having the conversation in the first place. Looking at him over the course of the time in the pub, he was just holding court, with opinions based on no reality, and everyone just nodding along.

I couldn't shake it out of my head for the game as I watched Carrick play an absolute howler of a game, whilst Schweinsteger was immense. Like if thats what shapes local fan opinion, the seemingly "dedicated" and "hardcore" base...well.....

That's not an advocation against the pub atmosphere on a match day, just a scene that will stick with me, and always does when I'm hearing a pundit, journalist or anyone mention "well the fans in the stadium" I basically think, well thats how easily their opinion gets changed or formed.

It was a weird experience mind you. I've no idea what the name of the place was, but we had to like, sign up for membership, got treated like **** at the bar because we weren't regulars I guess, were getting looks nonstop inside, until we just moved outside to the smoking area, in the rain to get the drinks in where we felt a bit more comfortable, and there was a better mingling atmosphere outside.

sounds like you were dreaming :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Saw a tweet headline from BBC sport, says rashford could leave in the summer. Didn't bother clicking in, most amusing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Saw a tweet headline from BBC sport, says rashford could leave in the summer. Didn't bother clicking in, most amusing.

It's from gossip section, reported by express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's from gossip section, reported by express.

Probably picking up on the quote from Redknapp. Clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

ollkiller wrote: »
    I love watching soccer but i hate most soccer fans. I've been to 2 games in England and never again. Mob mentality from grown men, disgusting chants and just that laddish mentality that you should have grown out of by 25 years of age. Then there's the our supporters are better than your supporters because we support team A and you support team B. Christ above. It'll never change though. I know everyone won't agree with that view but that's how i see it. I won't even go into a pub to watch a game anymore as it's getting the same as going to a match.

It really is crass.

Or identifying a player with massive potential who has dropped down the pecking order.

Rashford seems to be a sensitive subject among fans, and while I don't imagine there to be any immediate concern for this summer (although who knows what the player is thinking), depending on how the rest of the season goes, could well be something that needs entertaining in the summer after next season. And it might help if people are a little more real about the situation?

He won't get opportunities to play in his preferred role, his form has dropped, his goal return is pretty piss again this year, he's not as good as Martial, and we have a quality new addition, that will be immediately better then him.

He wont be the first young player to get impatient, and he wont be the first young player to have his head turned.

Like I said I don't see it as an immediate issue, but as I've stated before, at some point we are likely going to lose Rashford or Martial in the medium term if Jose is still the manager.

There is the obvious favouritism for how he burst onto the scene under Van Gaal, being a youth academy player and just being a decent all rounded bloke, and the fact he has bags of potential. But it does tend to mask issues with the lads developement, his return and his general performances.

I'd say it will really be down to him, if he thinks he's good enough to start for a top club in his favoured position, well then what can you do? He's not good enough to lead our attack, and I'm not sure he actually ever will be in a Mourinho team, so he either settles for being a LW or RW player for Jose, and being subject to rotation, or he moves and gets what he wants.

All hypothetical obviously, but its an issue that will come to a head at some point.

Or identifying a player with massive potential who has dropped down the pecking order.

Rashford seems to be a sensitive subject among fans, and while I don't imagine there to be any immediate concern for this summer (although who knows what the player is thinking), depending on how the rest of the season goes, could well be something that needs entertaining in the summer after next season. And it might help if people are a little more real about the situation?

He won't get opportunities to play in his preferred role, his form has dropped, his goal return is pretty piss again this year, he's not as good as Martial, and we have a quality new addition, that will be immediately better then him.

He wont be the first young player to get impatient, and he wont be the first young player to have his head turned.

Like I said I don't see it as an immediate issue, but as I've stated before, at some point we are likely going to lose Rashford or Martial in the medium term if Jose is still the manager.

There is the obvious favouritism for how he burst onto the scene under Van Gaal, being a youth academy player and just being a decent all rounded bloke, and the fact he has bags of potential. But it does tend to mask issues with the lads developement, his return and his general performances.

I'd say it will really be down to him, if he thinks he's good enough to start for a top club in his favoured position, well then what can you do? He's not good enough to lead our attack, and I'm not sure he actually ever will be in a Mourinho team, so he either settles for being a LW or RW player for Jose, and being subject to rotation, or he moves and gets what he wants.

All hypothetical obviously, but its an issue that will come to a head at some point, that much is obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Where can Rashford go to?
    He won't get the CF role at any other top 6 side and I'd expect there to be a huge transfer fee.He could move to a mid table side I suppose but you would hope he backs himself to be a United player longterm.

For now he's going to be a squad player at United and should still get plenty of time.

• Advertisement

United penalty shout

INCIDENT: Terence Kongolo wipes out Scott McTominay inside the box with an aerial challenge. Referee Stuart Attwell eventually gave a drop ball.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: I think it's a penalty, and a yellow card for reckless play. All I can think is that Stuart is thinking there has been a clash of heads because he has given a drop ball. It's a penalty, and a misjudgment by the referee.

and thats the end of that :)

• bangkok wrote: »
    United penalty shout

INCIDENT: Terence Kongolo wipes out Scott McTominay inside the box with an aerial challenge. Referee Stuart Attwell eventually gave a drop ball.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: I think it's a penalty, and a yellow card for reckless play. All I can think is that Stuart is thinking there has been a clash of heads because he has given a drop ball. It's a penalty, and a misjudgment by the referee.

But that's just his opinion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Regarding atmospheres in general; whilst it's not the only reason atmospheres at football matches have been on a steady decline as a whole over the past couple of decades, I think a lot of it can explained by the decline in how aggressive support is now in comparison. I'm not going to go too far into it but to use an example from yesterday's Liverpool Spurs game as an example, the place was rocking after each penalty was awarded but it wasn't just a reaction to get behind their team and help them back into the game, it was from people seething with the officials for awarding contentious decisions against them and the resulting outpouring of aggression.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that football matches becoming safer isn't a good thing, merely that the motivation for all of these idealised rocking atmospheres from yesteryear and from foreign lands weren't always borne from something as noble as people's enthusiasm to get behind their team. Simply put that as people have come round to what's acceptable behaviour and what isn't, you lose some of the emotion that used to accompany those misguided transgressions.

And on the subject of Rashford, again not to go into any detail but I think if we look at him objectively, he has been getting more playing time as it is than he deserves based on his return. It won't happen simply because he's the "local lad" and English to boot and there'd be uproar but I think he'd benefit massively from a loan spell and regular playing time because in Martial we have a similar player at a similar age but who is already more accomplished and has the better potential so needs the time that Rashford is currently stealing away from him. I'm glad that Jose looks like he's moving more and more towards this with Martial because on the previous policy of alternating substitute appearances I think they were only going to end up cannibalising each other.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    But that's just his opinion :D

Aye, the opinion of an ex professional premier league referee :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Aye, the opinion of an ex professional premier league referee :P

Which differs from the opinion of the current professional premier league referee that was standing yards away from the incident at the time.

But that won't matter of course.

Which differs from the opinion of the current professional premier league referee that was standing yards away from the incident at the time.

But that won't matter of course.

he obviously didnt see it and as Dermot Gallagher said he thought at the time it was a clash of heads, hence the drop ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

United penalty shout

Oh yeah because Dermot says so.

I dont know why you just cant acknowledge that people have a different opinion than you on it without this constant need to be proven right.

State your case, argue your case and move on. You come across as trying to intentionally antagonise people.

Its not funny or amusing in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He must have been phased by the MUTV ad in the background and didn’t see it

mc4-e1517672632334.png?w=620&h=328&crop=1

astradave wrote: »

yes because the ref lives in the matrix and he can freeze time and look at the incident from every angle possible and can then come to his conclusion!!

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Oh yeah because Dermot says so.

I dont know why you just cant acknowledge that people have a different opinion than you on it without this constant need to be proven right.

State your case, argue your case and move on. You come across as trying to intentionally antagonise people.

Its not funny or amusing in the slightest.

I wasn't following over the weekend, but I'm taking from bangkoks post that people must have claimed it wasn't a penalty or something?

I'd advocate if anyones opinion of that incident wasn't a penalty, that they kindly leave the soccer forum please. You can have a different opinion, and then you can just be abhorrently incorrect.

Should state I don't know the context of what was posted over the last day or so. It's risky business when you rail in behind Bangkok on something :D

I wasn't following over the weekend, but I'm taking from bangkoks post that people must have claimed it wasn't a penalty or something?

I'd advocate if anyones opinion of that incident wasn't a penalty, that they kindly leave the soccer forum please. You can have a different opinion, and then you can just be abhorrently incorrect.

Should state I don't know the context of what was posted over the last day or so. It's risky business when you rail in behind Bangkok on something :D

no we were all in agreement it was a peno.

i said it was a peno and yellow at best, loads were saying it was a blatant red card and another saying it was violent conduct.

good times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some of us thought it was worthy of a red as well. Bangkok though it was a yellow(no problem there, difference of opinion).

But! He cant let it lie. He keeps bringing it back up instead of agreeing to disagree.

Bringing up Gallagher to try and back up his point is desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

yes because the ref lives in the matrix and he can freeze time and look at the incident from every angle possible and can then come to his conclusion!!

What the hell are you shîting about. It’s noting to do with if he lives in a matrix or whatever, you said
    he obviously didnt see itand as Dermot Gallagher said he thought at the time it was a clash of heads, hence the drop ball

I’m just showing you that he was looking directly at the incident from 5 yards away.. he couldn’t have missed it! Even Graham Poll had a go at him.

He was allowing Huddersfield free reign to clatter united outta it

he obviously didnt see it

Thanks for that. I knew that anybody who had watched the game would immediately know just how ridiculous the above comment was, but the visuals do help to make the point.

I do note the lack of goalposts in the picture though, I wonder where they went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thanks for that. I knew that anybody who had watched the game would immediately know just how ridiculous the above comment was, but the visuals do help to make the point.

I do note the lack of goalposts in the picture though, I wonder where they went?
    To the left to the left, the goalposts are off picture to the left.

adox wrote: »
    Some of us thought it was worthy of a red as well. Bangkok though it was a yellow(no problem there, difference of opinion).

But! He cant let it lie. He keeps bringing it back up instead of agreeing to disagree.

Bringing up Gallagher to try and back up his point is desperate.

Ahhhh I see.

He was allowing Huddersfield free reign to clatter united outta it

It was a terrible refereeing performance....again. But what can you expect. It's why VAR is here.

VAR into his ear, where the dicussion is about sending him off or not. The penalty being quickly given upon review.

I hate all the nonsense from people against VAR that mistakes are part of the game. Laughable stuff, this is elite level sport, where a referee should not be influencing the game or result by mistakes.If I had my way, they would just be there to signal and communicate the decisions being made by a ref reviewing the game entirely through video somewhere in the stadium.

Actually didn't think refereeing could get worse after the early to mid 00's but it has. I've little sympathy for them if I'm honest "oh it's a tough job". It's like a nurse complaning about an 80 hour shift. You went through years of training to get here, you knew what you were signing up for, stop looking for my sympathy and do your job plx

It was a terrible refereeing performance....again. But what can you expect. It's why VAR is here.

VAR into his ear, where the dicussion is about sending him off or not. The penalty being quickly given upon review.

I hate all the nonsense from people against VAR that mistakes are part of the game. Laughable stuff, this is elite level sport, where a referee should not be influencing the game or result by mistakes.If I had my way, they would just be there to signal and communicate the decisions being made by a ref reviewing the game entirely through video somewhere in the stadium.

Actually didn't think refereeing could get worse after the early to mid 00's but it has. I've little sympathy for them if I'm honest "oh it's a tough job". It's like a nurse complaning about an 80 hour shift. You went through years of training to get here, you knew what you were signing up for, stop looking for my sympathy and do your job plx

Attwell has previously been demoted for giving a goal when the ball went 2 yards wide! Seriously high profile blunders are his nature. He is a horrid ref, should not be allowed near the top of the game

var is here to help the referees, its not here because the refs have been awful

football would become very slow and boring if that ever happened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Was over for the game Sat - pretty lucky too as Irish Ferries was having serious problems with their big ship.

Very quiet crowd, lots of folk around me that was there for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Schwanz wrote: »
    Was over for the game Sat - pretty lucky too as Irish Ferries was having serious problems with their big ship.

How dare you say such a thing. I hope you are wiling to meet fan groups to discuss and help implement the solution which you have clearly already thought of.

(sarcasm based on the reaction of some yo Jose saying the same)

Schwanz wrote: »

You see, some people prefer to go and soak up the atmosphere instead of chanting and singing like simpletons.

The fact that without those simpletons singing there would be no atmosphere to soak up seems not to have been considered.

You see, some people prefer to go and soak up the atmosphere instead of chanting and singing like simpletons.

The fact that without those simpletons singing there would be no atmosphere to soak up seems not to have been considered.

what the actual **** :confused::confused::confused:

How dare you say such a thing. I hope you are wiling to meet fan groups to discuss and help implement the solution which you have clearly already thought of.

(sarcasm based on the reaction of some yo Jose saying the same)

MUST releases a statement after Jose’s last criticism, saying they are in discussions with executives from the Club about trying to improve it. Exactly what most people said should happen.
    We note our Manager’s further comments regarding the poor atmosphere within Old Trafford following the Huddersfield home game.

The decline in atmosphere is by no means limited to Old Trafford. It's an issue affecting clubs throughout the country. And it's certainly not an issue specific to Manchester United supporters - our away support is widely acknowledged, by fair minded fans, as the best in the country.

We believe that atmosphere is primarily dependent on the perceived relationship between fans and club - including the degree of supporter ownership and engagement. In the absence of any imminent changes in the former we therefore concentrate on other areas where we can have an impact in the short to medium term.

To that end, last week we met with Directors (both Board and Venue) to explore what can be done. We will be reporting on that meeting in the coming days. These were the items on the agenda:

ATMOSPHERE

CAPACITY EXPANSION

RECLAIM THE STRETFORD END

SEAT RELOCATIONS

SAFE STANDING

EXPANDING YOUTH SUPPORT

TICKET PRICING

SUPPORTER FACILITIES IN THE STADIUM

We are inviting input from Season Ticket holders and other match going Manchester United supporters here: http://action.joinmust.org/stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Life long Man Utd fan and Saturday was my first time at a match in Old Trafford. I spent the time watching the game, noticing things that can’t be seen on tv such as the players movement off the ball etc.

I wasn’t going to waste this opportunity and spend 90 minutes chanting. I presume that is the same situation that most fans who attend a game for the first time or rarely find themselves in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

God forbid there'd be an atmosphere at the ground.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

what the actual **** :confused::confused::confused:

I presume he is being facetious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Some of ye might remember me saying I got a job in Manchester a few months back, well that fell through but I ended up getting another one and I started today, so now all I need is someone to give me advice on getting tickets, seems every match for the rest of the season is sold out, any season ticket holders amongst us? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've no interest in chanting either. The odd song when done correctly can create a noise that may lift the players I personally prefer an atmosphere when the crowd are engaging and reacting to what's happening on the pitch as opposed to just churning out random rhymes to sh*te tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Some of ye might remember me saying I got a job in Manchester a few months back, well that fell through but I ended up getting another one and I started today, so now all I need is someone to give me advice on getting tickets, seems every match for the rest of the season is sold out, any season ticket holders amongst us? :D

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056855872/131/#post105988425

Try the ticket thread mate best place.

edit: my favourite colour is red

*shifty eyes*

edit: my favourite colour is red

*shifty eyes*

I didn't even see what you edited out but I already know what it was haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What am I missing here? Haha

Replaced matic with him haha. Soft yellow tho.

chelsea a goal down and a man down :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shame Conte won't make it to us. I'd love to face his Chelsea team rather than the inevitable resurgence team i a few weeks when the players have driven off another manager.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Shame Conte won't make it to us. I'd love to face his Chelsea team rather than the inevitable resurgence team i a few weeks when the players have driven off another manager.

It's time we looked at Jose and hold him accountable for getting inside contes head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's been a brilliant results for us this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

5, 6 and 7 points ahead of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs respectively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement