Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I see Metro are trolling saying that De Gea has changed his contract demands after Sanchez’s arrival at United
    With no source either

I wouldn’t pick up me dogs shîte with the metro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    I wouldn’t pick up me dogs shîte with the metro!

You would walk past it and pretend it's from another dog ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hopefully a few of the players will see after today what it is to play for Manchester United and they give 100% in every game they play from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Id have no issue with giving ddg pretty much anything he wants, he is the best in the world in his position and should be remunerated as such.

Id have no issue with giving ddg pretty much anything he wants, he is the best in the world in his position and should be remunerated as such.

Totally agree if sanchez was brought in for more goals ddg is worth nearly as many goals saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Could easily make an argument for him being the single most valuable individual in the squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Could easily make an argument for him being the single most valuable individual in the squad.

I actually feel he's not been either A) as good this season , or B) as invaluable this season as in previous ones gone.

I feel more and more that we're not as heavily reliant, as the team work better as a defensive unit under Jose (as opposed to under LVG when DDG was required to make 10 saves a match).

Don't get me wrong, I love him, and am happy to see him sign a new, improved contract. But I think we've moved past the day of him being THE best player in the squad. I don't think, for instance, he'd be looking at the POTY trophies just yet.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I actually feel he's not been either A) as good this season , or B) as invaluable this season as in previous ones gone.

I feel more and more that we're not as heavily reliant, as the team work better as a defensive unit under Jose (as opposed to under LVG when DDG was required to make 10 saves a match).

Don't get me wrong, I love him, and am happy to see him sign a new, improved contract. But I think we've moved past the day of him being THE best player in the squad. I don't think, for instance, he'd be looking at the POTY trophies just yet.

Ah we are. Someone said this in the summer and it's been mentioned after a few games of where we would be without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

He's fantastic, we're just not as reliant on him as we were, no bad thing.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Liverpool fan here remembering all who lost there lives and affected by that awful tragedy in Munich 60 years ago today, RIP Busby Babes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Losing a golden generation, a team that was only finding it's stride, I think it's reasonable to say we lost a few European Cups when they died so tragically. But it's not about that really, it's about United's unrivalled youth policy. A policy that gave us The Flowers Of Manchester and a policy that helped us rebuild when we lost them. That's why playing the kids means everything, that's why Jose giving the young 17 year old Angel Gomes, his few minutes recently means everything. Because it's what United is all about. The reason United has 700 million supporters around the globe, is because of The Flowers Of Manchester, the football we've played and our world famous youth academy.

It's the most romantic story in football, a young generation that would have dominant for years, wiped out so cruelly. A club that couldn't even fill the team sheet for the league game after Munich. But we rebuilt and became the biggest club in the world and didn't need any dodgy billionaires help while doing it. That's why United will always be special and always unique. When the FA threatened to ban United if they entered the European Cup, Sir Matt couldn't careless and ignored them. Because he believed in good football and that it should not be confined within borders. So when you get clueless haters chanting "We support our local team." Our reply should be "We support a GLOBAL team." And we became a global team for the tragedy we survived, a tragedy that should have wiped us out but didn't, because we're Man United and we'll never die.

I'm happy to be known as a lurker and thanks whore on here but of all the superb posts on this thread over the years, this is the best one by a mile. Absolutely outstanding

• ^giphy.gif

Needs to be the first post on every new thread!

^giphy.gif

Evra to West Ham?

Or, Yermandan :pac:

• Advertisement

• Evra to West Ham?

Or, Yermandan :pac:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Liverpool fan here remembering all who lost there lives and affected by that awful tragedy in Munich 60 years ago today, RIP Busby Babes.

This sort of thing annoys me more than anything your standard idiot sports fan does and you see it so much.

How big of you to rise above your club allegiance to commemorate a tragic mass loss of livesðŸ‘.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lord TSC wrote: »

Not as reliant as him as the LvG days no but if we're using periods like that as the bench mark of whether somebody is deserving or valuable to a team then there's no point in appraising the defensive unit at all. You spend money on goalkeepers so that when called upon they're able to effectively perform, not because you plan on building a team where it's imperative that they make 10 saves per game or you lose.

Of the top teams in the league, he still makes the most saves per game and the most saves per goal conceded. Given the quality of what's in front of him it's not really surprising that that level of goalkeeping performance is still required no matter the improvements over LvG times. I'm happy to pay him whatever he wants for games at home to Huddersfield where he has little to do but pace around so long as when games like away to Arsenal come around he can effectively win them for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This sort of thing annoys me more than anything your standard idiot sports fan does and you see it so much.

How big of you to rise above your club allegiance to commemorate a tragic mass loss of livesðŸ‘.

A tad harsh. I'd take this over the fans making airplane gestures in the stands tbh.

Grow up and don't be so bitter always. Not everybody has to be #$&%€

• Advertisement

Gtfo with that shyte tbh.

Gtfo with that shyte tbh.

It's ridiculously self serving.

You seen it with Hillsborough stuff all the time. Everton fans for example coming on twitter or facebook and saying stuff like "life long blue, but that doesn't matter today, we're all red right now", and getting a bazillion likes. Of course it doesn't matter you bellend, it's only football and really does not need pointing out.

Who you follow is such an irrelevance when it comes to such serious matters. It completely trivialises it by mentioning your team.

Ah still manage to get Hillsborough mentioned on a totally different anniversary

It's ridiculously self serving.

You seen it with Hillsborough stuff all the time. Everton fans for example coming on twitter or facebook and saying stuff like "life long blue, but that doesn't matter today, we're all red right now", and getting a bazillion likes. Of course it doesn't matter you bellend, it's only football and really does not need pointing out.

Who you follow is such an irrelevance when it comes to such serious matters. It completely trivialises it by mentioning your team.

There is a long history of Munich and Hillsborough being used by rival fans to needle eachother.

Football is an insanely tribal thing but some things transcend the bullshyt.

If someone feels an affinity to an event that didn't effect them directly then why shouldn't they be free to comment on It?

Do you feel the same about people remembering victims from the troubles in the North, or the holocaust or anything else where innocent people lost their lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How big of you to rise above your club allegiance to commemorate a tragic mass loss of lives

Two lines from an “opposition” fan paying his repsects. Fair ****s to him/her. I appreciated it.

It’s incredibly cynical to think it was done for self serving reasons and incredibly crass of you to post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Wow we have had post of the year and worst post of the year in a matter of hours. Some people just are dick heads.

There is a long history of Munich and Hillsborough being used by rival fans to needle eachother.

Football is an insanely tribal thing but some things transcend the bullshyt.

If someone feels an affinity to an event that didn't effect them directly then why shouldn't they be free to comment on It?

Do you feel the same about people remembering victims from the troubles in the North, or the holocaust or anything else where innocent people lost their lives?

You missed my point entirely. Everyone is entilitled to comment or commemorate it but this rubbish of thinking you're making a giant leap as a rival fan to support a mass fatality is cringeworthy in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If anyone has missed the point completely it's you.

You missed my point entirely. Everyone is entilitled to comment or commemorate it but this rubbish of thinking you're making a giant leap as a rival fan to support a mass fatality is cringeworthy in the extreme.

Who the fûck cares, if more people thought the way Tipsy did the world would be a better place.

It really is finding offence for the sake of finding offence

If that annoys you, you should take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror

• Advertisement

Who the fûck cares, if more people thought the way Tipsy did the world would be a better place.

What are you talking about? 99.9% of people are extremely sympathetic to such a tragic event. The rare psychopath who does a plane gesture in a crowd is the complete anomaly in this situation.

• Normally I'd follow up with a harmless gif for a bit of laugh but seriously man, stop digging.

Bored on a Tuesday.

He came in and said something nice and people thanked him for it.

So what, get over it.

And no this isn't some dig against a poster. Just park it up and move on.

Just leave it lads crap like that not worth it.

What are you talking about? 99.9% of people are extremely sympathetic to such a tragic event. The rare psychopath who does a plane gesture in a crowd is the complete anomaly in this situation.

To be honest i dont think its "a rare psychopath"
    Think the "fans" just think its banter.

I was in old trafford when utd played leeds and a leeds fan was killed in istanbul previous. All the leeds supporters started doing the airplane at united fans. The whole stretford end broke into chants of "istanbul istanbul" looking around most were laughing etc has happened plenty of times at utd liverpool games as well. Its not one or 2 either... its thousands

bangkok wrote: »
    To be honest i dont think its "a rare psychopath"
    Think the "fans" just think its banter.

I was in old trafford when utd played leeds and a leeds fan was killed in istanbul previous. All the leeds supporters started doing the airplane at united fans. The whole stretford end broke into chants of "istanbul istanbul" looking around most were laughing etc has happened plenty of times at utd liverpool games as well. Its not one or 2 either... its thousands

It's rare in the grand scheme of things. Just that football can attract a certain type of cretin.

Still, people should have something as trivial as sport and something as serious as a horrific disaster like Munich firmly in perspective and not bring the former into the latter when paying their respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Losing a golden generation, a team that was only finding it's stride, I think it's reasonable to say we lost a few European Cups when they died so tragically. But it's not about that really, it's about United's unrivalled youth policy. A policy that gave us The Flowers Of Manchester and a policy that helped us rebuild when we lost them. That's why playing the kids means everything, that's why Jose giving the young 17 year old Angel Gomes, his few minutes recently means everything. Because it's what United is all about. The reason United has 700 million supporters around the globe, is because of The Flowers Of Manchester, the football we've played and our world famous youth academy.

It's the most romantic story in football, a young generation that would have dominant for years, wiped out so cruelly. A club that couldn't even fill the team sheet for the league game after Munich. But we rebuilt and became the biggest club in the world and didn't need any dodgy billionaires help while doing it. That's why United will always be special and always unique. When the FA threatened to ban United if they entered the European Cup, Sir Matt couldn't careless and ignored them. Because he believed in good football and that it should not be confined within borders. So when you get clueless haters chanting "We support our local team." Our reply should be "We support a GLOBAL team." And we became a global team for the tragedy we survived, a tragedy that should have wiped us out but didn't, because we're Man United and we'll never die.

Love that post, it was one of those breaking stories that you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard it.... my late mother was walking by the old original coombe hospital with an 18 month old me in a pram, heading up to Thomas street to her mother's when she heard the news, and because of the time and telegram media.... it was most likely the next morning. I was a joyous 10 going on 11 year old in 68 ... what a turn around in 10 years after the disaster. And every squad named since Oct 1934 to right now has had an Acadamy player in it... fcking unreal stat... unreal... pure pedigree...top drawer club :) proud to follow .... nobody can match thst stat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Needs to be the first post on every new thread!

I’ll try my best with the first post of the new thread

Classy from Rooney too.

Screenshot_20180206-210156.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

So going to get another game against Huddersfield in 11 days

• Advertisement

Nice video from the Howsons, for the day that's in it...

One cold and bitter Thursday in Munich, Germany,
    Eight great football stalwarts conceded victory,
    Eight men will never play again who met destruction there,
    The flowers of English football, the flowers of Manchester

Matt Busby’s boys were flying, returning from Belgrade,
    This great United family, all masters of their trade,
    The pilot of the aircraft, the skipper Captain Thain,
    Three times they tried to take off and twice turned back again.

The third time down the runaway disaster followed close,
    There was slush upon that runaway and the aircraft never rose,
    It ploughed into the marshy ground, it broke, it overturned.
    And eight of the team were killed as the blazing wreckage burned.

Roger Byrne and Tommy Taylor who were capped for England’s side.
    And Ireland’s Billy Whelan and England’s Geoff Bent died,
    Mark Jones and Eddie Colman, and David Pegg also,
    They all lost their lives as it ploughed on through the snow.

Big Duncan he went too, with an injury to his brain,
    And Ireland’s brave Jack Blanchflower will never play again,
    The great Matt Busby lay there, the father of his team
    Three long months passed by before he saw his team again.

The trainer, coach and secretary, and a member of the crew,
    Also eight sporting journalists who with United flew,
    and one of them Big Swifty, who we will ne’er forget,
    the finest English ‘keeper that ever graced the net.

Oh, England’s finest football team its record truly great,
    its proud successes mocked by a cruel turn of fate.
    Eight men will never play again, who met destruction there,
    the flowers of English football, the flowers of Manchester

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoctor wrote: »
    So going to get another game against Huddersfield in 11 days

Somewhere, Sanchez' shins just started hurting, and he's not fully sure why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You're right and afaic, De Gea should be the highest paid player on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dunno if this was posted but there's some shower of cnuts out there. Selling Munich memorabilia on eBay. Talk about disrespect.

football/gbrennan/fans-fume-over-auction-of-munich-air-disaster-commemoration-memorabilia/

Dunno if this was posted but there's some shower of cnuts out there. Selling Munich memorabilia on eBay. Talk about disrespect.

football/gbrennan/fans-fume-over-auction-of-munich-air-disaster-commemoration-memorabilia/

Sure didn't the same thing happen after the 50th anniversary of it. There was a game on that day and fans were all gifted a commemorative scarf or match program, can't quite recall which, and a few of them appeared on eBay shortly afterwards. A few sold to some of the far eastern countries for thousands of pounds befoee eBay pulled the plug on it.

Some people.

• https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/960998007016771585

Hope this lad starts against Newcastle. Deserves his place after his performance at the weekend

• Advertisement

Sure didn't the same thing happen after the 50th anniversary of it. There was a game on that day and fans were all gifted a commemorative scarf or match program, can't quite recall which, and a few of them appeared on eBay shortly afterwards. A few sold to some of the far eastern countries for thousands of pounds befoee eBay pulled the plug on it.

Some people.

It was the city game that day both teams wore old style jersey with no sponsors ect. Was a great way to remember it apart from the result.

Edit: can't believe that's 10 year ago ffs.

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/960998007016771585

Hope this lad starts against Newcastle. Deserves his place after his performance at the weekend

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/960988112162877440?s=17

Imagine the gawl of them to shout out fergie!! Sir Alex to you mate.

Some people.

I dont see the issue there. They got something. They didnt want/need it so they sold it

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/960998007016771585

Said it weeks ago. He deserves his chance, has done well everytime he has played

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement