Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Evra set to sign for West Ham'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11239179

Delighted to see him back in the league

jayo26 wrote: »
    Imagine the gawl of them to shout out fergie!! Sir Alex to you mate.

Fergie to us, sir alex to the rest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Literally ANYBODY bar Sir Alex there telling José that, I can imagine the scoul he would have on his face.

I can picture José yesterday evening siting in his little box hotel room in the Lowry, glass of wine in his hand, thinking over all the tributes that were paid yesterday to our truly special club and comparing that to the Chelsea lads, seemingly downing tools for another manager and thinking of the differences in both clubs. Clubs can have their oil money, sugar daddy’s, bankers etc running them but they will NEVER buy history like ours. Hope McTominay makes the grade with us and keeps the path way from our academy to first team wide open as it has been for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's an APARTMENT!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bangkok wrote: »
    I dont see the issue there. They got something. They didnt want/need it so they sold it

Each to their own but given the context, I personally thought it was incredibly distasteful.

The club, eBay and alot of fans also thought the same.

Each to their own but given the context, I personally thought it was incredibly distasteful.

The club, eBay and alot of fans also thought the same.

Not trying to be smart but why would ebay stop selling something on line when selling stuff is its primary purpose?

Not trying to be smart but why would ebay stop selling something on line when selling stuff is its primary purpose?

Your right your not been smart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

An eBay spokeswoman said: "Due to the unique and commemorative nature of the scarves handed out at Sunday's football match at Manchester United, eBay will not allow the sale of these items on the site. We are working to ensure these listings are removed from the site immediately."

She said the "potential for profit to be made from human tragedy" conflicted with the site's Offensive Material policy. "We applaud the move," a United spokesman said. The former United winger, Albert Scanlon, a Munich survivor, said: "You don't go to these [games] to make money."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/halt-to-sale-of-munich-scarves-is-applauded-by-united-781074.html

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Fair enough. That must be their policy.

Nearly every tragedy in human history has been used to make money, thats why i couldnt understand ebay but that article makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

DDG is obviously a great asset to have and a player we should attempt to keep at all costs.

However, should another club be able to offer him something we simply can't (eg the chance to play at the highest level in his homeland) then I believe United are in a much better position to absorb that loss now compare to 2/3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Problem is not too many Top Class GK around. He is in Top 3 in world and it's hard to replace.

The Nonly 7 jersey is most iconic at club but GK seems be most talked about down the years, in my lifetime anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

S.M.B. wrote: »
    DDG is obviously a great asset to have and a player we should attempt to keep at all costs.

However, should another club be able to offer him something we simply can't (eg the chance to play at the highest level in his homeland) then I believe United are in a much better position to absorb that loss now compare to 2/3 years ago.

People will protest, but as brilliant as De Gea has been its a sad fact that he has not been pivotal to our success or failure during his time at the club.

Yes he often saved us points and won us games, but to what end? To finish 5th instead of 7th?

He was still raw for his league title win, didn't play in the Uefa cup win, and had a lot of brilliant displays in a lot of crap seasons in between. Replace the brilliant De Gea with a lesser but still good keeper for the last five years and honestly, the clubs trajectory would look pretty much the same.

To my point, we could have absorbed the loss of De Gea over the past five years because we weren't competing anyway. But now? Now we are pushing to compete, to win big games in the CL and push from 2nd to 1st in the league. So now is in fact when losing him would hurt the most.

People will protest, but as brilliant as De Gea has been its a sad fact that he has not been pivotal to our success or failure during his time at the club.

Yes he often saved us points and won us games, but to what end? To finish 5th instead of 7th?

He was still raw for his league title win, didn't play in the Uefa cup win, and had a lot of brilliant displays in a lot of crap seasons in between. Replace the brilliant De Gea with a lesser but still good keeper for the last five years and honestly, the clubs trajectory would look pretty much the same.

To my point, we could have absorbed the loss of De Gea over the past five years because we weren't competing anyway. But now? Now we are pushing to compete, to win big games in the CL and push from 2nd to 1st in the league. So now is in fact when losing him would hurt the most.

Only for de gea we would have finished 8th 9th or 10th!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Problem is not too many Top Class GK around. He is in Top 3 in world and it's hard to replace.

The Nonly 7 jersey is most iconic at club but GK seems be most talked about down the years, in my lifetime anyway.

Even if you go back further United has always had some some of the best goalkeepers in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's the one stop shop for human organs and Nazi memorabilia :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's an APARTMENT!!!!!!

776.jpg

MrMac84 wrote: »
    776.jpg

Nope i got the joke but I was reiterating as I always feel need to haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Enjoyed viewing all the videos, speeches and photos this week, along with the various articles and stuff relating to Munich. It's such an emotive story.

One take away I took from video footage and photos btw, and label it anyway you want regarding me and the manager, I thought it lacked class, and was borderline disrespectful the way Jose dressed. A zip up hoodie, runners and his club jacket flung over? As the manager of the club at a ceremony like that, and surprisingly a man well read up and informed on Munich, thought it was a bit ridiculous. All the players wore their suits, the manager could have at least done the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    Enjoyed viewing all the videos, speeches and photos this week, along with the various articles and stuff relating to Munich. It's such an emotive story.

One take away I took from video footage and photos btw, and label it anyway you want regarding me and the manager, I thought it lacked class, and was borderline disrespectful the way Jose dressed. A zip up hoodie, runners and his club jacket flung over? As the manager of the club at a ceremony like that, and surprisingly a man well read up and informed on Munich, thought it was a bit ridiculous. All the players wore their suits, the manager could have at least done the same.

OwE0Q_s-200x150.gif

You know, sometimes I feel as if you're just a little bit stuck in your opinions, but they usually appear grounded in a genuine concern. But I try to give you the benefit of the doubt.

And others, like this? Trying to use the Munich celebrations to take shots at Jose, to push an agenda like that?

Jesus, Doc, that's just sad.....

• Advertisement

t3_7vp7vi?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKFq2Umg.jpg&token=AQAAxOl6Wrg4CeGginOzqa3ErqDSPldNBUJjdaIYULL27DCVU8NO&app_name=reddit.com

Don't agree with this at all.

De Gea has stood guard at the base of one of the statistically best defences in the league for now the third year running. He has provided the platform, through his own ability and saves along with the confidence he breathes through the defence, to provide a solid base for the team to attack from. That the team hasn't been able to manage that with any sort of consistency is a coaching/manager issue.

It's pure speculation to try guess what would have happened if he left a few years ago, but I don't think it's wild to suggest we would be a lot worse off.

You'll likely remember his displays like Arsenal recently and the big games, but maybe forgetting games that we pure struggled to win, against weak opposition, where he pulled out a massive save to secure a point or ensure we won. There would be untold impacts based on those potentially different results, and we could be very much in a worse position.

To say just because we havn't done much in the last 3-5 seasons so what difference would it make, is crazy revisionism, that doesn't account for how worse it could have been had he not been there. Because it couldn't have been any better. And it most likely, 99.9%, wouldn't be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Lord TSC wrote: »
    t3_7vp7vi?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKFq2Umg.jpg&token=AQAAxOl6Wrg4CeGginOzqa3ErqDSPldNBUJjdaIYULL27DCVU8NO&app_name=reddit.com

Why they look like they 'bout to drop the hottest album of 2018?

I label it as one more post to push your agenda and very cheap on that.

I would even say it's sad that you are using ceremony to have a go at Jose which is pathetic.

OwE0Q_s-200x150.gif

You know, sometimes I feel as if you're just a little bit stuck in your opinions, but they usually appear grounded in a genuine concern. But I try to give you the benefit of the doubt.

And others, like this? Trying to use the Munich celebrations to take shots at Jose, to push an agenda like that?

Jesus, Doc, that's just sad.....

I could put the same criticism to you when it comes to accepting any negative message about the manager. I also give you the benefit of the doubt, even though I believe you as a good example of the Mourinho cult figure.

The fact you think I'm using Munich as a platform for a dig, just kinda feeds into it to be honest. All you saw was what you wanted in my post.

Maybe some of us just operate by different standards in life. I don't turn up to a funeral in casual dress, nor do I turn up to remembrance masses in a hoodie.

Probably didn't even register in peoples heads, but I thought it was pretty lazy and slack from the manager in an emotional, memorial service.

• Advertisement

Don't agree with this at all.

I wonder why...
    is a coaching/manager issue.

Golly, who would have guessed.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I label it as one more post to push your agenda and very cheap on that.

I would even say it's sad that you are using ceremony to have a go at Jose which is pathetic.

Sorry if I expect better from the clubs leaders during poignant moments of remembrance of our history, and in this case, the main one.

I wonder why...

Golly, who would have guessed.

Don't worry about the fact that also reference Van Gaal, but sure continue to read what you want

'Lingard apologises for tweet'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11239498

Sorry if I expect better from the clubs leaders during poignant moments of remembrance of our history, and in this case, the main one.

I'm sorry but that post reminded me some of the gutter journalism this week when they had a go at Pogba for standing with his hood up during minute silence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't see how people can really disagree with you on this.

He is arguably the most prominent representative of the club - and at an occasion like the memorial he needs to go above and beyond to fulfil that role. Wearing a suit, when it appears all the players were instructed to, I would have thought as an obvious thing to do.

If I was going to that yesterday, just as a fan, I wouldn't have gone in a hoody or runners.

By no means am I looking for him to be sacked or anything like that (and not saying you are) but it is, imo, disappointing to see a club rep (and club rep) dress down for such an event.

The way I seen it at the time was the opposite really, a bitterly cold day, instead of wearing a jacket over the club blazer/crest he wears a hoodie under it and then the club/Manchester cost of arms is still in view and he isn’t being disrespectful to that.

If he wore one of the jackets that he wears on the sideline over the suit would you still be saying the same thing? Even though you couldn’t actually see what he was wearing underneath..

I think it’s extremely picky

On the point of DDG and the defence providing a solid base for an attack to build from (which has been inconsistent...). I disagree with that.

DDG has, but the defence is quite poor imo. that stats that show it to be the best is more down to DDG than the defenders. As far as I know we concede many more shots per game, and I think the opposition XG (whatever you think of the stat) is quite high. DDG bails our defenders out way too much imo.

If we had a less keeper in goals we'd concede way more goals. It would be rare to see a game, imo, where DDG doesn't pull off saves from great chances the defence allowed.

The Arsenal game was mentioned. We conceded one goal in that game - that wasn't down to a solid defensive performance. that was down to DDG being AMAZING. any other keeper in the league that day and we draw/lose that match. The defence gets credit for stats it doesn't deserve, imo.

On the point of DDG and the defence providing a solid base for an attack to build from (which has been inconsistent...). I disagree with that.

Do you think changing De Gea with a Romero standard keeper over the past 5 years would have materially affected our success? Or lack of success, to be more accurate.

Where would the club be today had De Gea not helped us to 1st, 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th? Would finishes of 1st, 9th, 6th, 7th and 8th change things so much?

I don't see how people can really disagree with you on this.

He is arguably the most prominent representative of the club - and at an occasion like the memorial he needs to go above and beyond to fulfil that role. Wearing a suit, when it appears all the players were instructed to, I would have thought as an obvious thing to do.

If I was going to that yesterday, just as a fan, I wouldn't have gone in a hoody or runners.

By no means am I looking for him to be sacked or anything like that (and not saying you are) but it is, imo, disappointing to see a club rep (and club rep) dress down for such an event.

It's obviously not helping me that I don't like our manager. But it's a point I felt worth making.

But if it was anyone else, I'd be making the same point. I'm not "using" the Munich situation for a dig at the manager, which is actually just frustrating me greatly, because I have no history of doing that, and wouldn't do that to further an agenda against the manager.

It was only something that stuck with me after I'd watched all the videos and speeches, and then was viewing photos, there was one of Carrick, formally dressed, Sir Alex, formally dressed, Sir Bobby, formally dressed and a survior, and then our manager, in a hoodie...

I'd also stress I'm not using it as s tick to beat him with or as a means to "call for the sack", I just found it disappointing and pretty poor.

Do you think changing De Gea with a Romero standard keeper over the past 5 years would have materially affected our success? Or lack of success, to be more accurate.

Where would the club be today had De Gea not helped us to 1st, 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th? Would finishes of 1st, 9th, 6th, 7th and 8th change things so much?

Yes.

I believe losing DDG would have had an effect on competitions won, and also a follow on effect on the players that were brought in. DDG is world class, and a club that keeps world class players will find it easier to go and sign them too.

DDG has, but the defence is quite poor imo. that stats that show it to be the best is more down to DDG than the defenders. As far as I know we concede many more shots per game, and I think the opposition XG (whatever you think of the stat) is quite high. DDG bails our defenders out way too much imo.

If we had a less keeper in goals we'd concede way more goals. It would be rare to see a game, imo, where DDG doesn't pull off saves from great chances the defence allowed.

The Arsenal game was mentioned. We conceded one goal in that game - that wasn't down to a solid defensive performance. that was down to DDG being AMAZING. any other keeper in the league that day and we draw/lose that match. The defence gets credit for stats it doesn't deserve, imo.

I'd just feel that he forms part of that defence, as any goalkeeper does tbh. At times our defence has been pretty good, in terms of the flat back four, at various times. It also looked shakey at times, and does with certain combinations, but at times it looks pretty impenetrable too.

I get what your saying in terms of the two being separated, but considering "the defence" as five players, goalkeeper inclusive, which I think should be how teams defensive records are interpreted, he's been a critical core component to that.

If we are talking about things like shots conceeded and how the team copes with opposition attacks, we probably then need to expand out to discuss the midfield aswell as the defence. But that's a seperate conversation.

I do get what you are saying though. And I don't think anyone could disagree he hasn't bailed us out massively in years gone by, even the Moyes season when Ferdinand and Vidic fell off a cliff overnight

It's obviously not helping me that I don't like our manager.

"Dont like" is an understatement, in fairness. It feels like every post, on every matter, needs to involve some digs at Jose. Talking about DDG? Management problem. Talking about the Munich memorial? "What is he wearing!" Its like you're always there ready with a way to turn a discussion topic into a "How can I take a shot at Jose" moment....

I looked at the pictures a few times yesterday, and not once did I think "Hmm, Jose looks a bit dressed down, the jerk!" It feels like in a bid to get some shots in on him, you're targeting his fashion sense.

Because he obviously has dressed up for the occasion. It's not like he's pulled a random old hoodie out of the wardrobe, shrugged and settled for it. Targeting his fashion sense of a nice hoodie under the blazer, on a cold and snowy day he was going to be outside on, seems like the most minor, most nit-picky complaint to have about him. Its trying to take digs at him because he has his own sense of what "formal" means in this situation.

"Dont like" is an understatement, in fairness.

I've been clear I don't like our manager. I havn't hid that for some time now. I genuinelly dislike him as a person first, and then as a manager I just can't come around to him.
    It feels like every post, on every matter, needs to involve some digs at Jose.
    Talking about DDG? Management problem. Talking about the Munich memorial? "What is he wearing!" Its like you're always there ready with a way to turn a discussion topic into a "How can I take a shot at Jose" moment....

Well this is the joys of the having Jose Mourinho as your manager. I outlined a timeline that includes Moyes and Van Gaal in a post, and you tunnel on the fact I dislike Mourinho, to destruct my point being valid. I'm known to dislike the manager, so every point I make about such is immediately debunked in you or other posters heads, because I'm just "anti-jose" regardless of the point being valid, or even trying to tackle my opinion. It's just an easy out, or just a case you cant get past the fact I dislike him.

It's the same on the flipside. People who blindly get his back, who immediately reject any critique venomously. It's turning into it's own meme at this stage, the United fan is being cast into now being called the Pro-Jose United fan. And they have stereotypes and broad stroked traits that has become the butt of jokes in numerous circles, forums, platforms and podcasts. They know he is generally disliked, if not hated, in the vast majority of circles, and its circling the wagons. I appreciate and respect backing a manager, as someone who was a big Van Gaal backer when it wasn't the majority position. It's good to support someone you believe in, or principles you believe in or whatever the situation may be. But it's just different when it comes to Mourinho.
    I looked at the pictures a few times yesterday, and not once did I think "Hmm, Jose looks a bit dressed down, the jerk!" It feels like in a bid to get some shots in on him, you're targeting his fashion sense.
    That's totally fine. We could have been raised different, we could have different viewpoints on various things. One not being imperitively correct or incorrect. I'm not Catholic, I don't go to Church for mass, but I go for funerals, weddings or rememberance masses for friends or family. I feel there is an adequate and appropriate way to present yourself at those occasions, and I do so. I don't think I'm portraying an "edgy" opinion here...

And my reaction wasn't "oh he looks dressed down" my reaction was "is he wearing a ****ing hoodie and runners". If it means nothing to you and does to me then look that's fine. It's not a drama, it's just poor, its borderline disrespectful, more people will read in between more lines, and I just think it's not really great to see from basically the spearhead of the club on such an important occasion.
    Because he obviously has dressed up for the occasion. It's not like he's pulled a random old hoodie out of the wardrobe, shrugged and settled for it. Targeting his fashion sense of a nice hoodie under the blazer, on a cold and snowy day he was going to be outside on, seems like the most minor, most nit-picky complaint to have about him. Its trying to take digs at him because he has his own sense of what "formal" means in this situation.

The hoodie being nice is irrelevant. The fact his runners probably cost €200 is irrelevant.
    Taking digs at his own interpretation of "formal"?

Sorry I'm at the point of why am I bothering explaining some basic etiquette. It doesn't need explaining, and if it does then I'm not going to be the person to do so. I'll just leave it here, its obviously just going to be portrayed as me being anti jose, but I definitely ain't putting up with anyone posting that I'm exploiting the occasion for a dig at the manager. That's just being an arsehole, cause you know well I've no history of that.

• Do you think changing De Gea with a Romero standard keeper over the past 5 years would have materially affected our success? Or lack of success, to be more accurate.

You might be forgetting some crucial saves made in the Europa league last season form what I recall.
    Argument to be made but without those we may not have won the Cup and ultimately failed to qualify for the Champions league.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You might be forgetting some crucial saves made in the Europa league last season form what I recall.
    Argument to be made but without those we may not have won the Cup and ultimately failed to qualify for the Champions league.

De Gea didn't play in Europa league.

But I disagree with the main point, more losses in the league means morale would have been dropped and whole squad would have been down, when that's the case we can't expect good performances in cups.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

DDG only played in 3 games in the EL, and we lost two of them.

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    De Gea didn't play in Europa league.

But I disagree with the main point, more losses in the league means morale would have been dropped and whole squad would have been down, when that's the case we can't expect good performances in cups.
    DDG only played in 3 games in the EL, and we lost two of them.

Apologies, my bad, then my point may be null and void.
    Just remembered it was Romero who made those saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yes. There's many reasons but we wouldn't be in the Champions League this year for a start.

Not aimed at you specifically, but I really don't understand how people are even hinting at the idea that DDG is anything less than an integral part of our side. As I said yesterday, you can mount an argument for him being the single most valuable player we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

"

Targeting his fashion sense of a nice hoodie under the blazer, on a cold and snowy day he was going to be outside on, seems like the most minor, most nit-picky complaint to have about him. Its trying to take digs at him because he has his own sense of what "formal" means in this situation.

I don't think anyone who'd wear a hoodie (and let's no kid ourselves, there's no such thing as a nice hoodie when you're a grown man) under a blazer has a fashion sense. He looks as if he's dressed purely to keep warm. Perhaps he has no interest in fashion or these sort of English social norms to the extent that it wouldn't have crossed his mind to dress any differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just reading about the worst injury crisis on football365.com You'd forget how good Fergie was sometimes, I remember that game thinking we are going to be spanked. Some defence and midfield that day :)

Manchester United, December 2009
    The injury crisis: In the words of the Daily Mail, ‘The worst injury crisis in modern Manchester United history’

“Wolfsburg will be delighted we have so many injuries,” said Sir Alex Ferguson in December 2009. Manchester United’s final Champions League group stage game of that campaign was a trip to the German side, and they needed to win to assure themselves top spot. But they would have to do so without a grand total of 15 first-team players. The crisis ran so deep that Oliver Gill, son of chief executive David, had to be drafted in as emergency cover.

Gill made a bench containing Matty James, Magnus Wolff Eikrem and Cameron Stewart. A three-man defence of Michael Carrick, future West Ham hero Patrice Evra and Darren Fletcher started, with Anderson, Darron Gibson and a young Danny Welbeck also in the side. Remarkably, United beat Wolfsburg 3-1, with Michael Owen scoring a hat-trick. Ferguson was good, wasn’t he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

manchester-uniteds-alexis-sanchez-accepts-16-month-prison-sentence-tax-fraud-spain-7293505/?platform=hootsuite

What is it with the big 2 in Spain and tax evasion.
    Sanchez has pleaded guilty to owing nearly €1 million in tax from his time at Barcelona, he's been given a 19 month suspended sentence.

I expect Ballague to appear and say Sanchez can pay it back with just a fortnight's wages.

manchester-uniteds-alexis-sanchez-accepts-16-month-prison-sentence-tax-fraud-spain-7293505/?platform=hootsuite

Sanchez has pleaded guilty to owing nearly €1 million in tax from his time at Barcelona, he's been given a 19 month suspended sentence.

I expect Ballague to appear and say Sanchez can pay it back with just a fortnight's wages.

Guarantee that it was an add on to his signing on fee per Balague..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

In fairness 1m is nothing to him, he earns a that in about 3 days:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just reading about the worst injury crisis on football365.com You'd forget how good Fergie was sometimes, I remember that game thinking we are going to be spanked. Some defence and midfield that day :)

Manchester United, December 2009
    The injury crisis: In the words of the Daily Mail, ‘The worst injury crisis in modern Manchester United history’

“Wolfsburg will be delighted we have so many injuries,” said Sir Alex Ferguson in December 2009. Manchester United’s final Champions League group stage game of that campaign was a trip to the German side, and they needed to win to assure themselves top spot. But they would have to do so without a grand total of 15 first-team players. The crisis ran so deep that Oliver Gill, son of chief executive David, had to be drafted in as emergency cover.

Gill made a bench containing Matty James, Magnus Wolff Eikrem and Cameron Stewart. A three-man defence of Michael Carrick, future West Ham hero Patrice Evra and Darren Fletcher started, with Anderson, Darron Gibson and a young Danny Welbeck also in the side. Remarkably, United beat Wolfsburg 3-1, with Michael Owen scoring a hat-trick. Ferguson was good, wasn’t he?

And found a way to fill the bench that day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement