Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

paulbok wrote: »
    And found a way to fill the bench that day.

Poor old Pep could learn a thing or two with his threadbare squad..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I think pep has a requirement that each member of his match day squad must have a minimum value of £30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He was blessed that he signed Laporte just before the deadline

They were so short of players Pep and Brian Kidd would have had to tog out against Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/westhamutd/status/961253247200714752

Praying he starts against us next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/westhamutd/status/961253247200714752

Praying he starts against us next month.

Ugh, the space between the R and the A is annoying as **** on that jersey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    Ugh, the space between the R and the A is annoying as **** on that jersey

First world problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yes. There's many reasons but we wouldn't be in the Champions League this year for a start.

We are in the CL because we won the Uefa, and Romero was the main keeper for that competition so why does De Gea get the credit?
    Not aimed at you specifically, but I really don't understand how people are even hinting at the idea that DDG is anything less than an integral part of our side.

Is anybody even hinting at that? I certainly would not.

Again, the original point made was the team being able to cope better without De Gea now than they would have a few years ago. I simply think the opposite, our crap seasons post Fergie were crap with De Gea and they would have been crap without him. Like I say, 4th or 10th holds the same interest to me.

But now, when we are back challenging again and when the extra 5% matters, that is when the world class player is most important, and so relatively speaking losing De Gea today would be more damaging than losing him 3 years ago would have been.

This is not a new thought by the way. When he accepted the transfer and wanted to leave for Madrid my opinion then was that if he wanted to go then it was better to go when the entire team is at the start of a rebuild rather than leave just before it finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

We are in the CL because we won the Uefa, and Romero was the main keeper for that competition so why does De Gea get the credit?

Again, the original point made was the team being able to cope better without De Gea now than they would have a few years ago. I simply think the opposite, our crap seasons post Fergie were crap with De Gea and they would have been crap without him. Like I say, 4th or 10th holds the same interest to me.

But now, when we are back challenging again and when the extra 5% matters, that is when the world class player is most important, and so relatively speaking losing De Gea today would be more damaging than losing him 3 years ago would have been.

This is not a new thought by the way. When he accepted the transfer and wanted to leave for Madrid my opinion then was that if he wanted to go then it was better to go when the entire team is at the start of a rebuild rather than leave just before it finishes.

I agree, I don't get the relevance on any level that the team would cope better without DDG. If your benchmark is top four and a decent run in Europe, then I suppose you would think that losing DDG isn't as big a loss.The simple fact is that the team would be weaker without him. If you want to win the league or champions league, we stand a better chance with DDG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    I agree, I don't get the relevance on any level that the team would cope better without DDG. If your benchmark is top four and a decent run in Europe, then I suppose you would think that losing DDG isn't as big a loss.The simple fact is that the team would be weaker without him. If you want to win the league or champions league, we stand a better chance with DDG.

I think the fact (as many here would see it) that DDG is arguably the best keeper around would also indicate we could win the league and CL with a lesser keeper. It is clearly indicated by the fact other teams, with lesser keepers, have finished above us in the league and won the CL.

You don't need to have the best keeper in the world if the rest of your team is better than United's currently is, or plays.

That said, I am not advocating for selling him. If we can improve the rest of the team (left back, maybe yet another centre back and another central midfielder) then we will find it easier to win big because our keeper is better.

THIS team stands a better chance with DDG, but a better outfield 10 with a lesser keeper might stand a better chance than this iteration of United.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just reading about the worst injury crisis on football365.com You'd forget how good Fergie was sometimes, I remember that game thinking we are going to be spanked. Some defence and midfield that day :)

Manchester United, December 2009
    The injury crisis: In the words of the Daily Mail, ‘The worst injury crisis in modern Manchester United history’

“Wolfsburg will be delighted we have so many injuries,” said Sir Alex Ferguson in December 2009. Manchester United’s final Champions League group stage game of that campaign was a trip to the German side, and they needed to win to assure themselves top spot. But they would have to do so without a grand total of 15 first-team players. The crisis ran so deep that Oliver Gill, son of chief executive David, had to be drafted in as emergency cover.

Gill made a bench containing Matty James, Magnus Wolff Eikrem and Cameron Stewart. A three-man defence of Michael Carrick, future West Ham hero Patrice Evra and Darren Fletcher started, with Anderson, Darron Gibson and a young Danny Welbeck also in the side. Remarkably, United beat Wolfsburg 3-1, with Michael Owen scoring a hat-trick. Ferguson was good, wasn’t he?

To be fair to Gill he was actually a decent player, think with his name though everyone would always see it as him just getting favourable treatment.

Very interesting article about him here:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/oliver-gill-exclusive-interview-manchester-united-academy-a7932781.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I think the fact (as many here would see it) that DDG is arguably the best keeper around would also indicate we could win the league and CL with a lesser keeper. It is clearly indicated by the fact other teams, with lesser keepers, have finished above us in the league and won the CL.

You don't need to have the best keeper in the world if the rest of your team is better than United's currently is, or plays.

That said, I am not advocating for selling him. If we can improve the rest of the team (left back, maybe yet another centre back and another central midfielder) then we will find it easier to win big because our keeper is better.

THIS team stands a better chance with DDG, but a better outfield 10 with a lesser keeper might stand a better chance than this iteration of United.

Wait...

We COULD win the Champions League without DDG, but we'd just need to have an additional 10 new outfield players all of whom are better than ours currently, as well as a different GK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

And would we have been even in it without him? I don't think we would've finished 5th or won the FA Cup that year were he not there.

The fact that this conversation is happening at all would suggest there are. I already commented on the original point but you asked if being without him would've affected our material success. I said I felt it would by saying for one we wouldn't be in the Champion's League this year. Others have pointed out other benefits beyond simply results to retaining world class players in your squad such as the ability to attract and convince others to join the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

For anyone that thinks we wouldn't miss de gea just look at pool and their search for a keeper and then look at our defense against arsenal and last week at spurs and think would you be confident about us having a girl and or schmeicheal or pickford sitting behind that defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

jayo26 wrote: »
    For anyone that thinks we wouldn't miss de gea just look at pool and their search for a keeper and then look at our defense against arsenal and last week at spurs and think would you be confident about us having a girl and or schmeicheal or pickford sitting behind that defence.

I think ye'd sign a replacement before selling him. Oblak could be got for a bit less, and he may not be as good as De Gea, he's definitely top 5 in the world.

It's quite funny looking back really. I remember when De Gea first arrived and quite a lot of fans didn't expect much from him, remember a lot here rating Lindegaard ahead of him.

As adapted to the English style brilliantly and is no doubt a candidate for the best keeper in the world but for me I have come to the expectation that he will eventually leave us, and feeling sooner rather than later. People have to be prepared for that. While De Gea is outstanding I think it's a little hyperbolic to think that if someone such as Romero, Lloris, Schmeichel or Pickford came in that we would fall by the side.

Also while David has saved us so many points I think people do not give enough credit to the work of the defence at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Isn't there a legendary post going relating to De Gea's initial form on joining the club?
    Have a vague recollection of one user posting up another user's flip flopping views on De Gea at the time and highlighting the mood changes in red??

The townie, will forever be in our hearts, I’m not searching for it again :D

Actually, feck it, with this debate ongoing I want to laugh at Bateman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Isn't there a legendary post going relating to De Gea's initial form on joining the club?
    Have a vague recollection of one user posting up another user's flip flopping views on De Gea at the time and highlighting the mood changes in red??

Haha there is a cracking one alright, I remember reading it on here, put to the sword with one post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

And really good news from Chelsea, Courtois flickering his eye lashes at RM... saying his heart is there... and David De Gea saying he is very happy at OT.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

Holy crap, that was after 2 games?!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahabaha

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's quite funny looking back really. I remember when De Gea first arrived and quite a lot of fans didn't expect much from him, remember a lot here rating Lindegaard ahead of him.

As adapted to the English style brilliantly and is no doubt a candidate for the best keeper in the world but for me I have come to the expectation that he will eventually leave us, and feeling sooner rather than later. People have to be prepared for that. While De Gea is outstanding I think it's a little hyperbolic to think that if someone such as Romero, Lloris, Schmeichel or Pickford came in that we would fall by the side.

Also while David has saved us so many points I think people do not give enough credit to the work of the defence at times.

Dont think anyone as said we'd fall by the wayside but De Gea probably saves us anywhere between 3-9 points on all of those keepers over a season. The difference between finishing 4th or 6th was two seasons ago. Going forward he could be the difference between 1st and 2nd. Fine margins particularly in big games win you trophies.

De Gea pulled off world class saves over the last few years and in the business end of the champions league he'll be vital. Anyone of these keepers would be a step down on De Gea, Lloris the best of them but still concedes a lot of soft goals.

I think people have credited the defence and midfield plenty in terms of how much more solid we are but to lose him would make us weaker and I dont think anyone would argue differently.

bangkok wrote: »

Unreal ha some people just overreact all the time eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »

A pet peeve of mine is anybody saying that De Gea had a rough start at United. Its just not really true.

He arrived as by the far the most highly rated youngster in Europe due to his success at Athletico and apart from one or two blips performed perfectly well in his first season, there was never any real doubt at all that he wouldn't be our first choice and that he would continue to improve.
    While De Gea is outstanding I think it's a little hyperbolic to think that if someone such as Romero, Lloris, Schmeichel or Pickford came in that we would fall by the side.

Which comes back to one of the points made, the belief that any other keeper would have been a Mignolet when its just as plausible that he would have been a Romero and done perfectly well during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

And when little Dave was taking his first steps in the PL,the media darling Joe Hart was making mistakes as well and was getting away with it

Now little Dave is Big Dave Saves while Hart struggles to get a game at West Ham

To be fair to the guy he went right till the end, he disappeared at the end of Dave's first season and finished up with a final pop at a Callow youth from Spain. :)
    Ah, the oft quoted Chelsea game.

We won a point thanks in part to some good saves from David De Gea.

However, that one point hardly compensates for horror shows like the Blackburn game which cost us three.

We need a top class 'keeper for the here and now while De Gea develops. We cannot afford to have a callow youth from Spain trying to come to terms with the physicality of the English game while we're trying to slay the City beast.

Convinced he's still around these days. He loved railing against the grain, if nothing else he was persistent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I do think De Gea had quite a few ropey moments at the start. Fergie handled it well with him placing Lindegaard in the side a bit. I liked Lindegaard but DDG did simply need to adapt to Englands style of offence compared to Spainish offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You know I've seen that post linked before and I never made it the full way cause I was just reading it as a kinda funny dissection of the OP's shifting stance and figured it was the same all the way through.

I had no idea until now that all those OP's posts, were after TWO GAMES. Holy ****ing ****

TheDoc wrote: »
    You know I've seen that post linked before and I never made it the full way cause I was just reading it as a kinda funny dissection of the OP's shifting stance and figured it was the same all the way through.

I had no idea until now that all those OP's posts, were after TWO GAMES. Holy ****ing ****

Half of those posts were after ONE game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »

He wasn’t serious and got the boot from here 8m sure before resurfacing again and getting the boot again.

He was somewhat fun as he was in no way subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

DDGs start here was hugely overplayed by press narrative, pessimistic fans of our club and rival fans who only saw highlights rather than full games. His first game was against West Brom, iirc, and he was clearly fouled by Shane Long, completely impeded when trying to get to a cross. From here, the dodgy keeper narrative started.

He had a few shaky moments in games after that and Fergie even took him out of the firing line at one point, which I thought was a rare poor decision from the man, but it was clear as day that we had a really good keeper on our hands. Some inspired saves and some excellent distribution was evident in every game and many of us were on here arguing this fact. Most were willing to accept some of the deficiencies as it was obvious how good he could become.

We are at a point now where it has kind of gone down in history that he was shocking from the start, and fans of other teams use his start as an example of how their new young goalkeeper could improve if given time. But if your goalkeeper is not showing the outstanding traits that DDG did, it's unlikely that they will ever be anywhere near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This sort of thing annoys me more than anything your standard idiot sports fan does and you see it so much.

How big of you to rise above your club allegiance to commemorate a tragic mass loss of livesðŸ‘.

Just seen this now as I just wanted to pop in to a thread that I honestly have no interest in and pay my respects.

I mentioned I was a Liverpool fan because there is some downright disgusting songs, comments and opinions on Munich & Hillsborough from both sets of 'fans' that sicken me. I mentioned I was a Liverpool fan because I wanted to show that I am not one of those **** . I applaud the fans who show respect for both tragedies and show that these have shaped both clubs into what they are today. A lot of fans on both sides actually have no interest in the tragedies and would rather talk about anything else, does that make them any less of a supporter? Yes it does imo, know your clubs history to really know your club.

I believe that absolutely nothing else should be spoken about on those two anniversaries apart from people paying their respects. It should be a complete blackout on everything else. Anyway if my post annoyed you I would just like to say I really couldn't give a shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just seen this now as I just wanted to pop in to a thread that I honestly have no interest in and pay my respects.

I mentioned I was a Liverpool fan because there is some downright disgusting songs, comments and opinions on Munich & Hillsborough from both sets of 'fans' that sicken me. I mentioned I was a Liverpool fan because I wanted to show that I am not one of those **** . I applaud the fans who show respect for both tragedies and show that these have shaped both clubs into what they are today. A lot of fans on both sides actually have no interest in the tragedies and would rather talk about anything else, does that make them any less of a supporter? Yes it does imo, know your clubs history to really know your club.

I believe that absolutely nothing else should be spoken about on those two anniversaries apart from people paying their respects. It should be a complete blackout on everything else. Anyway if my post annoyed you I would just like to say I really couldn't give a shyte.

I think I can safely say that it was taken by the vast majority in here in the spirit it was posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can’t believe that Sean Bateman post was 7 years ago. I remember it at the time. Hillarious.

DDGs start here was hugely overplayed by press narrative, pessimistic fans of our club and rival fans who only saw highlights rather than full games. His first game was against West Brom, iirc, and he was clearly fouled by Shane Long, completely impeded when trying to get to a cross. From here, the dodgy keeper narrative started.

He had a few shaky moments in games after that and Fergie even took him out of the firing line at one point, which I thought was a rare poor decision from the man, but it was clear as day that we had a really good keeper on our hands. Some inspired saves and some excellent distribution was evident in every game and many of us were on here arguing this fact. Most were willing to accept some of the deficiencies as it was obvious how good he could become.

We are at a point now where it has kind of gone down in history that he was shocking from the start, and fans of other teams use his start as an example of how their new young goalkeeper could improve if given time. But if your goalkeeper is not showing the outstanding traits that DDG did, it's unlikely that they will ever be anywhere near him.

De gea was in the firing line, fergie took him out of the firing line, he came back even stronger. Not sure how you think that was a bad decision by him?

• Advertisement

De gea was in the firing line, fergie took him out of the firing line, he came back even stronger. Not sure how you think that was a bad decision by him?

Because I didn't feel like he needed to be removed. He was doing many things right and we knew it was going to be a patience job. It worked out in the end, but it all depends on the player, it could just as easily have severely dented his confidence. There was two ways of doing it, showing faith and backing him, or taking him out and giving him some time to adjust. At the time, I felt like it was the wrong decision to not stick with him as I felt he was strong enough to keep going week on week.

Because I didn't feel like he needed to be removed. He was doing many things right and we knew it was going to be a patience job. It worked out in the end, but it all depends on the player, it could just as easily have severely dented his confidence. There was two ways of doing it, showing faith and backing him, or taking him out and giving him some time to adjust. At the time, I felt like it was the wrong decision to not stick with him as I felt he was strong enough to keep going week on week.

But it turned out to be the right thing he did... so it was the right decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

pjohnson wrote: »
    I do think De Gea had quite a few ropey moments at the start. Fergie handled it well with him placing Lindegaard in the side a bit. I liked Lindegaard but DDG did simply need to adapt to Englands style of offence compared to Spainish offences.

Used to drive me nuts when he put Lindegaard in and kept swapping them around, thought it could have gone very badly and absolutely decimated De Gea's confidence.

He wasn't making howlers on a regular basis or anything like that, he really did settle quick enough. Dodgy under the high ball like a lot of keepers but that was about it, his shot stopping and distribution was excellent.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Iirc it was an ankle injury to Lindegaard that allowed DeGea back in the side. It would have happened eventually as he always had more potential but would have a longer stint on the sidelines affected his eventual progress?

But it turned out to be the right thing he did... so it was the right decision

Yes, single outcome results based thinking is exactly how everything should be viewed.

• Advertisement

Yes, single outcome results based thinking is exactly how everything should be viewed.

So you think fergie managed him incorrectly.

I think he managed him spot on.

We will agree to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I think if you identify a fundamental weakness in a player's game and they keep making mistakes then it's right to take them out of the side if you can work on it i.e. if it's a young, developing player. By leaving them in the team and allowing the same general mistake to keep happening then you risk reaching a point where that player is dreading going out on the pitch because they know the opposition is just going to spend the match trying to exploit it and by then their confidence is completely shot and it's harder to eradicate the weakness. It's one thing allowing an experienced player to "play" their way into form but when it's a young player that needs to work on something then it's no harm to take them out of the spotlight for a bit and let them work away and settle down a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A pet peeve of mine is anybody saying that De Gea had a rough start at United. Its just not really true.

He arrived as by the far the most highly rated youngster in Europe due to his success at Athletico and apart from one or two blips performed perfectly well in his first season, there was never any real doubt at all that he wouldn't be our first choice and that he would continue to improve.
    It was a lot more than one or two blips. I think most United fans knew he was a special player based on what they saw at Athletico and the first few months at United but it certainly wasn't plain sailing from day one.

He really struggled to take command of his area (he still does to a certain extent) and it did cost us a few goals/points. The media made a pretty big deal out of it which would not have helped the situation at all.

In fact, a 'rough start' is exactly what I'd call it. He's on the record of saying how he found it an incredibly difficult time and how he had thoughts about leaving.

So you think fergie managed him incorrectly.

I think he managed him spot on.

We will agree to disagree

I like this new Bangkok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

What makes me happy is having a manager who addresses weaknesses in the side! After years of shouting at the tv that we needed midfielders, we’ve signed Pogba and Matic in the space of a year. I’ll say again; I love that Jose Mourinho is our manager!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think if young DDG had been left playing despite his errors (which he DID make saying otherwise is rose tinted glasses) he would have kept being criticised more and more and possibly still keep making those mistakes and it starts a vicious cycle. Taking him out of that enviroment for a bit allowing him to work on his weaknesses in peace in training let him improve far more than him making errors in games.

• Gutter "Journalism" this morning on 'The Rag' er I mean 'The Mirror'

"Manchester United defender Luke Shaw set for new, improved contract after finally escaping Jose Mourinho's doghouse"

:pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gutter "Journalism" this morning on 'The Rag' er I mean 'The Mirror'

"Manchester United defender Luke Shaw set for new, improved contract after finally escaping Jose Mourinho's doghouse"

:pac:

Don't think he'd be allowed have one in that hotel.

What makes me happy is having a manager who addresses weaknesses in the side! After years of shouting at the tv that we needed midfielders, we’ve signed Pogba and Matic in the space of a year. I’ll say again; I love that Jose Mourinho is our manager!!!

Is that suppose to be some sort of dig at fergie?

Is that suppose to be some sort of dig at fergie?

I think he means the other two but it wouldn't be far off wrong with sir Alex either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement