Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If they're 1 CL we should have won, or should I say the one that still bugs me the most is the 01/02 season when we got knocked out in semi on ****ing away goals.

Should have got to that final and while it was Real who awaited us in that final I reckon we have won it with a Keane in his prime.

The performance in 09 was disappointing and we were well able win that one. 11 we were simply beaten out the pitch. Very one sided, no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Seems so long since we played not used to all these breaks.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Seems so long since we played not used to all these breaks.

February.

It could be worse though. I remember last season while we had a fairly packed February with the Europa, EFL and FA Cup still going, some of our rivals had 3 games in the whole month.

Sure there's your winter break :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If they're 1 CL we should have won, or should I say the one that still bugs me the most is the 01/02 season when we got knocked out in semi on ****ing away goals.

Should have got to that final and while it was Real who awaited us in that final I reckon we have won it with a Keane in his prime.

The performance in 09 was disappointing and we were well able win that one. 11 we were simply beaten out the pitch. Very one sided, no complaints.

I feel the same about 2010. We should have beaten Bayern, then it was 2 legs against Lyon in the semi final and Inter in the final. Considering we made the final the year before and the year after, I definitely would have fancied our chances against Lyon and Inter.

February.

It could be worse though. I remember last season while we had a fairly packed February with the Europa, EFL and FA Cup still going, some of our rivals had 3 games in the whole month.

Sure there's your winter break :pac:

Oh yeah I agree hopefully team be a lot fresher some big games coming in next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Quotes from José's press conference.
    Jose on Luke Shaw:

Luke is not about changing my mind, it’s just the evolution or no evolution of his potential.

I know Shaw since Southampton. Know his potential and quality. Can he be the way I want my players to be during games and training week? He made a big effort. He is free of minor injuries. The natural consequence is he will have his contract and will be a United player for years.
    Mourinho on his personal record at Newcastle:

I think it's the only stadium that in the PL I've never won, also Huddersfield. I think it's difficult, I always felt beautiful matches but difficult matches there, I like the feeling of going to Mr Robson's home, I like the Geordies.

I hope the result is different on Sunday but I know he characteristics of the game won't be different. They had a very good transfer window with Kenedy and Slimani, Benitez knows how to get points.
    Jose on Pogba:

Paul had a very professional behaviour. This week was not different to what Paul is every week. He works well, he’s a good professional He likes to train. I’ve never had a single problem with him. He likes to train.

I was laughing over the past week because I heard and watched, read a few things, and I’m not English but I think I understand English enough when you want to say box to box.

But with some comments from some important people in football I got a little confused.

For me box to box means box to box. You have to be good in this box and have to be good in that box.

It means you have to defend well in this box, the physical condition and desire and stamina to go until the other box. In the other box you have to be good at scoring, creating, heading and so on.

And when your team loses the ball you have to go to the other box. Now I’m confused when some people say box to box has to play free of defensive duties. That’s not a box to box. That’s a box in the box and stay in that box. Don’t move from that box!

I think this country produced a lot of box to box players. I had the pleasure to coach some of them, but nowadays with some pundits, some agents, some family members, the concept of box to box is changing a little bit.

It looks like we are going to a different concept. Box to box are not my words. I heard it for the first time in 2004 when I arrived. For me, with my Portuguese and trying to translate to the English I just think midfield players.

For me Paul is a midfield player. He’s not a left back, he’s not a striker. When people ask his best position: he’s a midfield player. It depends on the tactical system but he will always be a midfielder.

Then with so many opinions, and we are in a world of opinions, people can get confused. There is no confusion between me and Paul. It’s difficult to play a midfielder with more potential than Paul.
    Jose on squad news:

No. The squad is good, everything is fine. Eric Bailly, Daley Blind are out. Zlatan started training with the team two days ago. And he’s improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It looks like we are going to a different concept. Box to box are not my words. I heard it for the first time in 2004 when I arrived. For me, with my Portuguese and trying to translate to the English I just think midfield players.

For me Paul is a midfield player. He’s not a left back, he’s not a striker. When people ask his best position: he’s a midfield player. It depends on the tactical system but he will always be a midfielder.

Hear hear. It winds my goat up how football has happily pigeon holed certain players and absolved others from what used to be industry standard.

Defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, left sided central midfielders, right sided inward tucking double pivot false CM DM PM midfielders. What wouldn't I give for a few men who believe they have the ability to tackle and to shoot all in the same game.

I blame Makelele.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Expecting TheTownie, v3ttell & RobertKK to make an appearance later :D

Maybe even Pro F!

*Edit* yermandan made this happen :pac:

Hi :pac:

I haven't been posting much here, but I have been reading...I have no strong opinions at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The boys on the debate on Sky chatting about City sending a letter of the refs chief about the treatment of the players

Now if Jose and Utd did that,I would love to see the reaction of the old school ex players that are pundits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Haven't seen em in a long while. I'm convinced they have merged into the jayos...

Same goes for these lads / lassies. They might respond now :P

Al Capwned
    Mikeyt086
    homerjay2005
    Quandary
    Vic Vinegar
    Professional Griefer
    Homer is still here I pm’d Him recently about coming back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RobertKK wrote: »
    Hi :pac:

I haven't been posting much here, but I have been reading...I have no strong opinions at the moment :D

Kilkenny fellas are very quiet at the moment, something to do with the hurling?? ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Looks like Liam Miller has passed away. Desperately sad. RIP

https://twitter.com/CllrDesCahil/status/962095143485665280

Fek I heard he was sick didn't know it was that bad.

Rip young man life is precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Looks like Liam Miller has passed away. Desperately sad. RIP

https://twitter.com/CllrDesCahil/status/962095143485665280

That’s brutal. No age at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RIP Liam Miller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Fek I heard he was sick didn't know it was that bad.

Rip young man life is precious.

36.. really puts things into perspective.. while he didn’t make the grade at United, he was very highly rated and still had a decent enough Career, played for Ireland on over 20 occasions I think.. May he Rest in peace and my thoughts go out to his family. He has 3 young children too.. taken far too young.

astradave wrote: »
    36.. really puts things into perspective.. while he didn’t make the grade at United, he was very highly rated and still had a decent enough Career, played for Ireland on over 20 occasions I think.. May he Rest in peace and my thoughts go out to his family. He has 3 young children too.. taken far too young.

It's terrible to think of the kids left behind :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hear hear. It winds my goat up how football has happily pigeon holed certain players and absolved others from what used to be industry standard.

Defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, left sided central midfielders, right sided inward tucking double pivot false CM DM PM midfielders. What wouldn't I give for a few men who believe they have the ability to tackle and to shoot all in the same game.

I blame Makelele.
    i

John Giles gave a great talk on newstalk about it. saying similar. What’s wrong with just being a midfielder....why do you have a to specialize why can’t you just do everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Terrible news. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Can’t believe that news R.I.P Liam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RIP Liam Miller.

YNWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rip Liam Miller

RIP Liam Miller. Thoughts with his family and those who knew and loved him personally. Only 36, only sick about 4 months, it's a very sad, sobering story.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Homer is still here I pm’d Him recently about coming back

Anyone see Vic Vinegar/Bombleswizzum around? He was another good one.

I had a quick search for a list of posters Mick put up the night of the Man United 3 Liverpool 1 (Martial!!!) result from 2015. Some of the names on his list, and others who were posting around the time of that result, are nowt to be seen these days.

In no particular order...

Roquentin
    Mewe
    Hank Scorpio
    Irishfeen
    LeeJm
    Korat
    Mythical Madman
    Trilla
    Gowlasaurus Rex
    Maximus Alexander
    Polo_Mint
    Manutd_4life
    Magicmarker
    DeanK
    Keno (Kylo)

Gas looking back at the posts that day, we were high as kites.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485530&page=335

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That is terrible news about Liam Miller, didn't know he had pancreatic cancer, which is a death sentence, hopefully the scientists find a cure soon for it.
    Such a young age to die, terrible for his family and friends. Such sad news.
    Kilkenny fellas are very quiet at the moment, something to do with the hurling?? ;):)

Nah, I use to play this online game called utopia with some guys who became online friends years ago. We went our separate ways but I was FB friends with one. He contacted me last year to say the old gang was getting back together and was I interested. I said yes as I really enjoyed playing with them.
    It was suppose to be just for fun, but since we are really good we are one of the top groups or kingdoms as they are known in that game, and I am one of the leaders so I have less time overall.
    There is another United fan with the group I play with, he is from Canada, but also a couple of Liverpool fans from Bulgaria and Singapore.
    I did have fun with a Benfica fan when United were playing them, he was at the United game in Lisbon where he is from.
    As for Kilkenny hurling, we will be back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Cancer is a C#nt!

RIP Liam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone see Vic Vinegar/Bombleswizzum around? He was another good one.

I had a quick search for a list of posters Mick put up the night of the Man United 3 Liverpool 1 (Martial!!!) result from 2015. Some of the names on his list, and others who were posting around the time of that result, are nowt to be seen these days.

In no particular order...

Roquentin
    Mewe
    Hank Scorpio
    Irishfeen
    LeeJm
    Korat
    Mythical Madman
    Trilla
    Gowlasaurus Rex
    Maximus Alexander
    Polo_Mint
    Manutd_4life
    Magicmarker
    DeanK
    Keno (Kylo)

]
    Some great posters there! Wonder where they’ve all gone?

Gowl just changed his username, still posts frequently enough on boards, not sure if he is banned from Soccer forum though.

A few of the others have changed their names too and they have let it known what their new names are previously, not going to post up who as it’s against the charter I’m sure :D

Maximus stated when Jose took over that he wouldn’t be posting as much as he really doesn’t like Jose, and wasn’t happy with his appointment. He still pops in now and then..

Irishfeen, lee and Korat still post now and then but have cut back.

Hank was an avid poster in the Politics forum and closed his account toward the end of last year I think, dunno if he has reincarnated.

Keno is definitely around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hank Scorpio is to busy for the SF these days, he's busy managing the East Coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Id say a lot of them changed their usernames..

Also RIP Liam Miller

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5374433/Fergies-surprise-Liam-Millers-class-myth.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Sad to hear about Liam Miller. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Really really sad news about Liam Miller. R.I.P.

On that list of users, there’s a few still posting here just under different names(many have made it publicly known)

I know Homer just got fed up and decided to stop posting although still an active member on boards.

Hank used to be a regular poster but saw he got involved in a lot of political debate in after hours etc so maybe isn’t on boards any more. I was kind of shocked at some of his views on there as was used to him as a poster here. Wouldn’t be the sort of beliefs I’d hold and wouldn’t associate with people with such strong views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

i

John Giles gave a great talk on newstalk about it. saying similar. What’s wrong with just being a midfielder....why do you have a to specialize why can’t you just do everything

I really miss Giles on the Telly. Dont catch him on the radio. Nothing to do with nostalgia etc. He may not have done any research on the players playing etc, which I know annoyed a lot of people, but it didn’t matter too much to me. He had a brilliant knowledge and insight of the game and how it’s played. The nuisances of the game which rarely get discussed. He was overly negative and a bit grumpy but he always had something to say that was worth listening to.

I think RTE really ****ed up putting him out to pasture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

adox wrote: »

I think RTE really ****ed up putting him out to pasture.

Was it RTE's decision ?

I thought he hung up the gloves himself

Pep must be smoking something.

"KDB is testament to City's academy". Didn't know it was in Germany. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Pep must be smoking something.

"KDB is testament to City's academy". Didn't know it was in Germany. ;)

Maybe he still trains with them :pac:

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Was it RTE's decision ?

I thought he hung up the gloves himself

It was another in a long line of dumb decisions by RTE.
    Sure didn't they scrap the EPL highlights to save the equivalent of 6 months of Tubridy's salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Tbf it was a mistake back then and still a mistake today.

It's not like Pogba is incapable of playing in midfield 2 against teams like Blackburn who were relegated that season. Pogba's problem is playing in midfield 2 against stronger midfields away from home.

It was complete tactical mistake to play midfield 2 against Spurs away from home.

I disagree there have been plenty of games against poor teams were weve lacked control and the opposition have had chances to exploit Pogba's positioning but lacked the quality to really take advantage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am hoping Mkhi gets another three assists today. Would love to see Arsenal get the win vs Spurs, and give us a chance to get 10 clear of 5th.

I'm not watching the game but read the updates on BBC, and to the surprise of nobody guess who appears to be having a shocker in the Arsenal game...

Jaysus miki has been back to normal first 45 minutes.

• Advertisement

I'm not watching the game but read the updates on BBC, and to the surprise of nobody guess who appears to be having a shocker in the Arsenal game...

Got in two good positions to make a cross and overshot both of them massively.

Jaysus miki has been back to normal first 45 minutes.

Where's the "Now he's away from José, he's a new man" crew today?

Where's the "Now he's away from José, he's a new man" crew today?

Still 45 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

At least Wenger will give him a hug after playing shíte...

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/962291418587910144

J. Marston wrote: »
    At least Wenger will give him a hug after playing sh...

Hadn't seen that quote.
    Mourinho required a lot from the players. A lot, he was very hard
    Safe to say that myself and Mr Mkhitaryan have different views on whether that is a bad thing or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

J. Marston wrote: »
    At least Wenger will give him a hug after playing sh...

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/962291418587910144

To me that sums up why Arsenal have been going backwards the last few years. Everything is just nice.

Still 45 minutes to go.

We'll see how much fight he'll have now that they are a goal down.
    Edit should be 2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

adox wrote: »
    Really really sad news about Liam Miller. R.I.P.

On that list of users, there’s a few still posting here just under different names(many have made it publicly known)

I know Homer just got fed up and decided to stop posting although still an active member on boards.

Hank used to be a regular poster but saw he got involved in a lot of political debate in after hours etc so maybe isn’t on boards any more. I was kind of shocked at some of his views on there as was used to him as a poster here. Wouldn’t be the sort of beliefs I’d hold and wouldn’t associate with people with such strong views.

Had a quick search, and according to the dispute thread he has closed his account. Wouldn't agree with his views etc but I understand his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mkhitaryan hooked.

I thought he went to Arsenal to play offensive football

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement