Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Relative to other years, I would. It's been our strongest year post-Fergie, and although City are ahead of us so drastically, it's fairly obvious in any other year, we'd be in a title challanging position, our first in years.

There's issues still, sure. Record against the top six needs to improve. Our midfield needs drastic reinforcements. But relative to the last four seasons, this has been a great season for us so far, imo.

I'd argue midfield only needs one more CM to replace Carrick.
    If Jose just played mctominey with matic and Pogba I think alot of the issues in midfield will vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

bangkok wrote: »
    He was crap but ye love stats in here so he had 3 assists in 2 games :)

One less than his first 2 games for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not looking forward to today. Benitez is a master of one off games, no matter how is teams are playing. A big bus park with all players playing above themselves is how I envisage today going. Hopefully we can score early.

• Not looking forward to today. Benitez is a master of one off games, no matter how is teams are playing. A big bus park with all players playing above themselves is how I envisage today going. Hopefully we can score early.

You might be leaving yourself open for bantz here. Especially the bus part :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If Jose just played mctominey with matic and Pogba I think alot of the issues in midfield will vanish.

Would actually agree with that - one real quality signing there could be enough. I think McTominay looks to have the maturity and composure to step in for more game time next season, and could easily see him starting against most teams in the bottom half for example. In any game he has played he has slotted in and looked comfortable and has not had a poor game imo. Obviously very early days and has not had very difficult tests against top sides but looks to have the temperament and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You might be leaving yourself open for bantz here. Especially the bus part :P

The only bus we will be using will be one to parade the CL trophy around in come the summer. #BullishBantz #klolpp #fraudiola

Better?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think we need one first teamer, and at least one back up.

IdeLly, we'd be looking at a midfield three of Pogba, Matic and whoever we decide to splunk cash on this summer.

In back up then, you have Herrera, Fellaini and McTominey, and none inspire me with confidence if there's a big injury. Matic is also that little bit older too. So a younger, high potential back up would be good too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Would actually agree with that - one real quality signing there could be enough. I think McTominay looks to have the maturity and composure to step in for more game time next season, and could easily see him starting against most teams in the bottom half for example. In any game he has played he has slotted in and looked comfortable and has not had a poor game imo. Obviously very early days and has not had very difficult tests against top sides but looks to have the temperament and attitude.

I would like to see two CMs signed,one as cover for Matic and another that can come straight into the team,

A midfield three of Modric,Matic and Pogba

Newcastle are awful. They just don’t score goals and I can’t think of any team this season that parked the bus and shut out United.

It might be tedious for long parts but I’m expecting a routine win.

I wonder actually if Vidal of Bayern could be looked at.

I know he's got his attitude problems though, but he'd be cheaper and knows Pogba from Juventus days. If we could bring in a younger player as well, would Vidal be worth a punt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lord TSC wrote: »

I know he's got his attitude problems though, but he'd be cheaper and knows Pogba from Juventus days. If we could bring in a younger player as well, would Vidal be worth a punt?

Has another summer transfer saga written all over it :D

What about Thiago?

Sign both sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The rumours are he is leaving Bayern this summer. An excellent player but maybe a little older than what United have in mind. I suppose depending on what the fee would be it could be a good move.
    I'd like to see a starting cm bought and a squad player in. We are very light in CM with only Matic and Pogba looking like they are good enough to be regular starters.

Has another summer transfer saga written all over it :D

Be interesting to see if there's much in way of sagas this year. With the world cup and the shorter transfer windows, there won't be as much time to drag stories out over. Was reading the other day that most clubs want their business done pre-world cup as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

It would be poetic beauty if we could win the European Cup this year...eclipsing City’s league win...I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wouldnt go near him. Has schweinsteiger written all over it again

Wouldnt go near him. Has schweinsteiger written all over it again

I couldn't see Jose giving Vidal half the special treatment that LVG gave Bastian.

The Schwi problem was he was brought in to be LVGs lockeroom leader while also making it clear he was above others in the team. If Vidal tried his antics, Jose would probably ostracise him pretty quick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads. Ladies.

I came up with something for Alexis to the tune of Oh Owen Hargreaves.

“Alexis Sanchez, you are the love of my life
    Alexis Sanchez, your dogs wear red and white
    Alexis Sanchez, I want labradors too”

If this doesn’t make me a 15-minute A-lister, I don’t know what will.

• I actually sang that in my head, and yes it rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

21 year old 6 league appearances Scott McTominey is not the answer to the issues we have in midfield and the club would be foolish to consider him to be.

He is no more the answer than Rashford was the answer to our attacking problems.

He is a young kid just promoted from the youths, we are a massive club aiming to win titles and champions leagues, it helps nobody to overstate how good he is or the effect he would have if he was playing every game.

• Advertisement

• 21 year old 6 league appearances Scott McTominey is not the answer to the issues we have in midfield and the club would be foolish to consider him to be.

He is no more the answer than Rashford was the answer to our attacking problems.

He is a young kid just promoted from the youths, we are a massive club aiming to win titles and champions leagues, it helps nobody to overstate how good he is or the effect he would have if he was playing every game.

I'm discussing the immediate options however. From now until the end of the season. And yes I believe that the midfield would be much more stable with him in it then not.

Herreras form hasn't improved so he cannot be relied upon. And Carrick is on his way out anyway. Fellani is injured. So that's it as far as choices go.

It's either that or continue with a midfield two.

But you said the issues in midfield would vanish, and if that was actually the case then it wouldn't be just for this season and rightly so.

I don't disagree that right this minute we could do a lot worse than give McTominey his chances, he has done nothing wrong compared to a few players that have done nothing right.

I'd just be very cautious about overstating his performances and his influence, he has done relatively well, relative to who he is and the experience he has, but I don't think he has done as well as we need from somebody in that position and so we definitely still need to improve there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think mctominay should get a decent chance in the team between now and the end of season I think it would massively help his development but I also think what will happen is that it will serve to make people think he is better then he actually is.

The midfield will work way better with him in it but that's because it looks so unbalanced with just pogba and matic and we all will say oh mctominay is soo good see how much better he makes out midfield but truth us any half decent midfielder would make it better.

Summer wise I'd love to see another midfielder come in and I think a centre back and right back needs to come in.

We have a lot of bodies in centre of defence but when Bailly is out we lack that class in defence and even tho Valencia is doing really well he is also getting near the point when he will be declining and we have absolutely no quality to replace him.

• But you said the issues in midfield would vanish, and if that was actually the case then it wouldn't be just for this season and rightly so.

I don't disagree that right this minute we could do a lot worse than give McTominey his chances, he has done nothing wrong compared to a few players that have done nothing right.

I'd just be very cautious about overstating his performances and his influence, he has done relatively well, relative to who he is and the experience he has, but I don't think he has done as well as we need from somebody in that position and so we definitely still need to improve there.

As I said we still need to replace Carrick in the summer. And I've said enough on Herrera over the last few months.

You are right in saying he's young so prone to a mistake.

But, ultimately we are better off with a 3 man midfield than a two. I'd take that chance over playing a midfield two and having gaping holes in the the centre and not getting the best out of Pogba.

He's currently our best option.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think we need one first teamer, and at least one back up.

IdeLly, we'd be looking at a midfield three of Pogba, Matic and whoever we decide to splunk cash on this summer.

In back up then, you have Herrera, Fellaini and McTominey, and none inspire me with confidence if there's a big injury. Matic is also that little bit older too. So a younger, high potential back up would be good too imo.

I say we won't be signing two midfielders unless Fellaini or Herrera leave also.
    The cash will be splashed on one big signing.
    Which will be the replacement for Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’d like to see two midfielders sign too but only expect one.

McTominy has been impressive at times in games but really that’s only been against weak opposition and even then it may take him a half to find his feet. He’s young, raw, very little experience. He’s one for the future hopefully who should be in and around the squad but no way should he been a first team player next season. I do agree with Jayo though that he should get some decent game time between now and the end of the season with the personnel we have.

I’d definitely like to see a rb signed. I’m obviously in a very small minority who thinks Valencia continues to be underwhelming in that position. He’s not particularly good at either aspect of the modern full back, attacking or defending and my heart sinks when the ball ends up wide with him. He has a great engine and attitude but he really needs to be upgraded on so we have decent attack8ng duos on both sides of the pitch.

I think Jose may sign another cb as he has mentioned it but I think we are ok in that position with what we have. They are being left hugely exposed most of the time and are hav8ng to deal with a lot more than is normal. If he does sign one i expect one to leave too.

Whoever comes in in midfield I hope they are a big and vocal character like Sanchez is. Lead by example and demand th best from all around you. Too much coasting goes on in games with this squad for my liking and a bit of pressure on the team can very quickly escalate to backs to the wall defending without much resistance from the team. They tend to sleep walk themselves into losing control of a game.

There has been huge work done and you can see all the makings of a very good team there. With another couple of additions it could well be challenging depending on the personnel and personalities that come in. My main concern is the character and appetite of the squad. Too many shrinking violets when the going gets tough.

Todays game we should be winning comfortably. By that I don’t mean a huge score line but a goal or two win being comfortable and in control of the game. The thing is it wouldn’t surprise me if Newcastle out fought us and that and a combination of the crowd saw us losing control of the game, shrink8ng into our shell and hanging on for a point.

I expect 3 points today. We are in the business end of the season now, sitting in ththe position in “best of the rest” and that position needs to be consolidated between now and the end of th season. Finishing second would be a huge step forward for the club and do this squad no end of good and maybe actually instill some belief in them.

• Advertisement

I say we won't be signing two midfielders unless Fellaini or Herrera leave also.
    The cash will be splashed on one big signing.
    Which will be the replacement for Carrick.

Maybe,

Jose seems to like to get in 4 new players when he can.

One CM is a cert.
    One Fullback, probably a Valencia replacement is a cert too, imo.
    Depending how Shaw goes, I think we'll see either a new first team or squad full back for him too.
    Just feel the forth will be a back up CM then too. Wouldn't shock me if Herrera moves on tbh.

I think there will be two midfield signings to be honest, there is too much doubt over too many players in that position not to see big changes there.

Carrick done, Felliani injured and out of contract, Herrera badly out of form and getting worse, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the club had contingencies there for all of those 3 moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

cm is the big issue to be fixed this summer. Who is the player lads would like to see signed.
    Jose can spend more or less what he wants on the position so who should it be.

yabadabado wrote: »
    cm is the big issue to be fixed this summer. Who is the player lads would like to see signed.

Sergej Milinković-Savić (Yes, I googled to make sure I got the spelling right) seems to be linked with a few big clubs. Fabinho always has seemed desperate to join us. We were linked with Jorginho a few weeks ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yabadabado wrote: »

Choice of any midfielder I'd go for Verratti. Been wanting him for years.

• Advertisement

Sergej Milinković-Savić (Yes, I googled to make sure I got the spelling right) seems to be linked with a few big clubs. Fabinho always has seemed desperate to join us. We were linked with Jorginho a few weeks ago too.

We had his brother on the books, on loan somewhere but I think he was just released without ever actually getting to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Weigl and Verratti would be the obvious names to target. Both would cost a bomb though. Seri was a name linked during January but I've not seen close to as much of him as the others. Maybe one of Bayern's 20 CMs if they don't work out.

Have to say the relegation battle this year lools like it will go to the last day of the season and no idea who will go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We had his brother on the books, on loan somewhere but I think he was just released without ever actually getting to the club.

Work Permit issues I believe. With Torino now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DVwcehVX0AIld9v?format=jpg&name=900x900

One man midfield :/

Same 11 that failed miserably against Spurs? Awesome....

Pogba in a midfield two, young at left back. Smalling and Jones the CBs.

Cool.

Liam O wrote: »
    Weigl and Verratti would be the obvious names to target. Both would cost a bomb though. Seri was a name linked during January but I've not seen close to as much of him as the others. Maybe one of Bayern's 20 CMs if they don't work out.

Seri has a skin condition that makes signing him very unlikely.

Line-up doesn't do much for me.

Midfield bleh.

No Rashford in the squad??

Bench has very little attacking options.

Is Herrera injured or is he just not making the bench now?

• Advertisement

Same 11 that failed miserably against Spurs? Awesome....

Pogba in a midfield two, young at left back. Smalling and Jones the CBs.

Cool.

Young has done quite well at left back even if he was poor against Spurs(who wasn’t)

Out of the four CBs available Jones and Smalling are the two I’d have.

Midfield is a huge worry.

I think the midfield 2 is grand for these type of games. Assuming Newcastle are going to park the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Choice of any midfielder I'd go for Verratti. Been wanting him for years.

Fabulous player, gets stuck in and the Premier League for me is a destination that would very much suit his style.

Is Herrera injured or is he just not making the bench now?

I’d guess he’s just not making th bench due to Carrick being fit again. He’s been awful all season so can understand him not being involved.

Sanchez coming in very welcomed here but I'd say Rashford will struggle to get his game now.

Lads we are playing newcastle ffs. Should be easily beating them with that line up

Lads we are playing newcastle ffs. Should be easily beating them with that line up

Stellar analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Matic lucky he started the season well. I’m a massive Matic fan from back in first spell with Chelsea.

He’s been very poor since the turn of the year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think the midfield 2 is grand for these type of games. Assuming Newcastle are going to park the bus.
    I'd agree. We should be going into this game with confidence. We lost to a very good Spurs side because of  a selection mistake by the manager. Newcastle are a long, long way from Spurs and if we need two holding players against this lot then we may as well pack it in.

• Advertisement

If Jones performs in defense there should be no problems here but for me he's a man that could easily replaced as a regular CH in the team & I hope that's where we're looking to bolster come summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement