Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hococop wrote: »
    Guarantee their keeper will pull a world-class save in the last minute

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

some result from Newcastle... did i hear a stat earlier that Mourinho has never won at St. James Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Same old ****

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I'm not a United fan but they haven't been sh*t like some in here seem to think. They've created enough chances to win this easily. Not clinical enough which has been an issue for them at times this year but between the two boxes they've been pretty good.

They were absolute sh*t in the final third. It’s been like that a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I'm not a United fan but they haven't been sh*t like some in here seem to think. They've created enough chances to win this easily. Not clinical enough which has been an issue for them at times this year but between the two boxes they've been pretty good.

What a load of rubbish, being pretty good between the two boxes isn’t good enough to challenge for the league, it’s what arsenal have been for the past 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Two people that get that Mourinho, not Pogba, picks the team, makes the substitutions, and sets out the standards that the players must meet to play for the club.

It was his call to start Pogba, his call to delay subbing him until it was too late, and his call to allow the sh*t performance levels we were getting from Pogba for most of the game.

And two who like to go against the grain no matter what the subject matter and can’t aportion any blame at all to Pogba.

Pathetic really but whatever gets you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Gutless from smalling and pogba. Newcastle thoroughly deserved that . They showed more fight and desire. We could have been there another 4 days and not scored . Disgracefully blunt today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Two people that get that Mourinho, not Pogba, picks the team, makes the substitutions, and sets out the standards that the players must meet to play for the club.

It was his call to start Pogba, his call to delay subbing him until it was too late, and his call to allow the sh*t performance levels we were getting from Pogba for most of the game.

We didn't lose because of this so no point wasting your energy. We were by far the better Team, the scored their one clear cut chance, we didn't score any of our half dozen or more. That is what lost us the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You'll hear plenty of complaining over the next few days but I'll just say this, forget the Sky Sports "shock result" stuff, there was absolutely nothing new or surprising in that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ye were robbed. With all the chances utd should have that wrapped up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Bret Hart wrote: »
    ****e. That's how I'd some up that half. Play the same in the second half and we'll be lucky too come away with a point.

I'll just leave this here.

• Damien360 wrote: »
    Ye were robbed. With all the chances utd should have that wrapped up

Nah. Credit to Newcastle

bangkok wrote: »
    Another ****ing embarrassing performance.

Yes both from yourself and the team. Lack of objectivity on one end, lack of killer instinct on the other.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hate to say I told you so...
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Matic pulling a triple shift again.

Stupid line-up. Fully expect it to be punished, even against Newcastle.

I don't really. Nailed it.

Gonna throw some money on us to miss out on top 4. Cash eases football pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Spineless in the main.

We have shyt the bed against the other big 6 teams but generally win against the bottom half teams.

Couldn't even manage that today.

Newcastle are dogshyt and there is no excuse for a performance like that. Hell, they should have had a penalty in the first half so could have been one up at half time.

With LFC, Arse, Chelsea and City still left to play and spurs hitting a good run of form we are going to be up against a top 4 finish.

Very very concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,799 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Comedy stuff. Overpaid players, overpaid and overly negative manager.
    The money the club have spent in the past 6 years and wasted is an embarrassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

We didn't lose because of this so no point wasting your energy. We were by far the better Team, the scored their one clear cut chance, we didn't score any of our half dozen or more. That is what lost us the game.

At one and the same time it was an unlucky result against the run of play and also Utd are a hundred miles off the mark of where they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pogba in a two against anyone is asking for trouble. He has been royally found out now twice. Either play him #10 (where he plays regardless of his own accord) or bench him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness it was one of them days teams have where nothing goes in for them and then caught with a sucker punch.

• Advertisement

A low point in the season for me.

There’s not many players I like any more at the club. As soft as ****.

Sanchez Utds motm probably closely followed by Lukaku. No competition from anyone else.

These type of performances are nearly guaranteed to happen. Too many in that squad just don’t have the stomach for the battle when it all boils down to it.

Losing to Newcastle is a low low point in the season.

Disgusted with the whole thing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Bret Hart wrote: »
    We've a great record in games,were we score first.However if we don't,that's a whole different story.

You've no chance of winning a PL or even compete for it,along with the CL if you've not got,a strong mentality too react after a setback in a game.This side doesn't have that.

We'll probably go and beat Huddersfield on Saturday,but I mean what satisfaction comes from beating cannon fodder like them,when you ultimately know that in the games against the top sides,with the record we've against them being poor,your just a setback away from it happening again.

We're and for the forseeable future just a club competing for 2nd spot in the PL and making up the numbers in the CL.

I'll just leave this here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness it was one of them days teams have where nothing goes in for them and then caught with a sucker punch.

No sucker punch, Smalling acting the twat and cost us and was absolutely useless all game

• adox wrote: »

Sanchez Utds motm probably closely followed by Lukaku. No competition from anyone else.

These type of performances are nearly guaranteed to happen. Too many in that squad just don’t have the stomach for the battle when it all boils down to it.

Just to challenge this;
    Pogba was partially at fault for this if he was carrying a knock and playing on but do you not consider Jose being the main fault here today?

So much quit in this squad still

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Whatever about Pogbas fitness or lack thereof in that game, I hate seeing him start beside Matic in a midfield 2. I would have preferred to see Pogba in a midfield 3 with carrick/mctominay and one of lingard/martial on the bench.

Watch Southampton roll over next now to rub salt in the wounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Don't think anyone is being harsh about hoping that this is Smalling's last season, the guy hasn't been United quality for a long time and is always having brain farts.

Some investment is needed in the defense, two wingers and two dodgy center halves is always going to cause problems.

• niallo27 wrote: »

Don't think that's the case fully Niallo
    Newcastle should not be beating Utd
    There was loads wrong with that performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

adox wrote: »

Agree with all of this. It’s really hard to warm to this team, the lack of fight is astounding. So many players we need rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That stat that cropped up during the game showing how the team does when conceding the first goal. Says it all, draw your own conclusion from the players and the manager on it.

Newcastle didn't do anything that wouldn't have been obviously expected in the build up. We had some good chances we just failed to convert, but how the team just ****s itself when it goes behind. Resulting to hoof ball when you have Sanchez in the team.

Pogba being injured, and playing, is an issue for the manager not the player. No player willingly comes out and Pogba especially. Manager should have put him through his paces quickly before the game again, and withdrew him.

Matic was rubbish again by the way. Showing that second half of the season issue that has plagued his time in England. Time to come out and let McTominay or Carrick get some games. His general simple passing is erratic as **** and he looks knackered.

Just so frustrating, we can't get a result against top 4 rivals and look outclassed in so many matches and we drop so many silly points against cannon fodder. No idea what this team is about sometimes watching it but it would want to get a grip before the Champions league comes back.

Manager needs to get a handle on his idea for this team and the tactics. It was another clueless performance in possesion when the team attacks. It gets as bad as anything under Van Gaal. The aimless hoofing is as poor as the ponderous short passing Van Gaal's team did. There is just so construct to the team attacking. The fact the camera never catches him losing his ****, just shows he thinks whats happening is ok, part of his plan or he hasnt a clue (which I don't think it is)

And for my over reaction, Chris Smalling needs gone in the summer, but moreso needs removing from the team immediately. Lindelof and rojo are superior, so pair Jones with one. Smalling is terrible, terrible on the ball, and just easily bossed around and makes so many silly mistakes.

• Agree with all of this. It’s really hard to warm to this team, the lack of fight is astounding. So many players we need rid of.

Ah lads

Come on seriously, that's just not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

And two who like to go against the grain no matter what the subject matter and can’t abortion any blame at all to Pogba.

Pathetic for having a different opinion to you? Are we obligated to "go with the grain" in this forum? Cut out the sh*t.

Of course Pogba should be blamed for claiming he was fit to continue when he obviously wasn't, but players will obviously want to play and do the best they can. It was obvious that he was playing well below the required standard, regardless of his injury, and could well have been subbed for that alone. That he actually was carrying an injury and was left on for so long, to the detriment of the team, and with big games against Chelsea and Sevilla coming up was just terrible management and decision making from Mourinho.

WTF is going on with Lindelöf that he cant get in ahead of Smalling. After a shaky start he had appeared to have adapted to the League?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Our first half performances need to improve. Slow and lethargic seems to be a running issue and it just breeds confidence into the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

And two who like to go against the grain no matter what the subject matter and can’t abortion any blame at all to Pogba.

Go against the grain? Whatever

Been saying for ages our attack has been piss.

Pogba cant play a midfield 2

City will win league by 20 pts

Yeovil will kick the legs off sanchez

But sure whatever you say yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just to challenge this;
    Pogba was partially at fault for this if he was carrying a knock and playing on but do you not consider Jose being the main fault here today?

Blaming the manager here is far too convenient a scapegoat. We have players that time after time after time produce these performances regardless of formation or opposition, blaming one particular player or decision is ultimately pointless against the bigger issues.

Just as example, today it is Smalling, last time it was Jones who had to carry the can for a week. Who will it be next time?

The worst thing is that we brought Carrick and Mata on and we passed much better. So you think we should start them next game, but when we do, Mata will be anonymous and Carrick will get overrun. We cant seem to get a settled lineup that anybody is happy with before kick off because nobody is putting their hand up in each position really.

TheDoc wrote: »
    That stat that cropped up during the game showing how the team does when conceding the first goal. Says it all, draw your own conclusion from the players and the manager on it.

Newcastle didn't do anything that wouldn't have been obviously expected in the build up. We had some good chances we just failed to convert, but how the team just ****s itself when it goes behind. Resulting to hoof ball when you have Sanchez in the team.

Pogba being injured, and playing, is an issue for the manager not the player. No player willingly comes out and Pogba especially. Manager should have put him through his paces quickly before the game again, and withdrew him.

Matic was rubbish again by the way. Showing that second half of the season issue that has plagued his time in England. Time to come out and let McTominay or Carrick get some games. His general simple passing is erratic as **** and he looks knackered.

Just so frustrating, we can't get a result against top 4 rivals and look outclassed in so many matches and we drop so many silly points against cannon fodder. No idea what this team is about sometimes watching it but it would want to get a grip before the Champions league comes back.

It Was a stat since 2014 so it one you can use for your campaign I'm afraid.

Just to challenge this;

Both at fault IF he was injured which I have acknowledged in a previous post.
    Pogba having no personal fault for playing on if injur d is what I was challenging by the two usual serial complainers.

Anyway Jose has said he wasn’t injured and it was tactical.

I hope for Pogbas sake that wasn’t the case.

Jon Jo Shelvey bossing a midfield, says it all really.

pjohnson wrote: »
    WTF is going on with Lindelöf that he cant get in ahead of Smalling. After a shaky start he had appeared to have adapted to the League?

If be playing him. We know we get brain farts from Smalling every week. Why not try Lindelof?Worst thing we will get is brain farts, which we already have.

• Advertisement

Go against the grain? Whatever

Been saying for ages our attack has been piss.

Pogba cant play a midfield 2

City will win league by 20 pts

Yeovil will kick the legs off sanchez

But sure whatever you say yourself

You also said
    Lads we are playing newcastle ffs. Should be easily beating them with that line up

So yeah theres that.

It Was a stat since 2014 so it one you can use for your campaign I'm afraid.

The team is evidently pathetic at recovering from setbacks or chasing games. If you want to try twist it the narrative of me vs Jose work away, just codding yourself

• Blaming the manager here is far too convenient a scapegoat. We have players that time after time after time produce these performances regardless of formation or opposition, blaming one particular player or decision is ultimately pointless against the bigger issues.

Just as example, today it is Smalling, last time it was Jones who had to carry the can for a week. Who will it be next time?

I didn't blame Smalling. He made a mistake. It happens.

I'm blaming Jose for specific issues that clearly haven't been addressed in multiple games and it's come to light clearly with this result again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Shelvey is like the new Danny Murphy. Ex liverpool player that will haunt us til retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Glad I missed that match anyway!

What an absolute load of ****e losing to poxy Newcastle with the squad of players we have.

TheDoc wrote: »

Just for the record, that stat started from 2014 for teams under Mourinho. It includes the meltdown season at Chelsea where they went behind in heaps of games. I can't be arsed looking into it, but I suspect that that season represents a lot of those games. Felt a bit disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

pjohnson wrote: »
    You also said

So yeah theres that.

And he was right. We're 2nd and in the Champions League knock out stages, they were in the relegation zone and already lost to us 4-1 this season.

Pathetic for having a different opinion to you? Are we obligated to "go with the grain" in this forum? Cut out the sh*t.

Of course Pogba should be blamed for claiming he was fit to continue when he obviously wasn't, but players will obviously want to play and do the best they can. It was obvious that he was playing well below the required standard, regardless of his injury, and could well have been subbed for that alone. That he actually was carrying an injury and was left on for so long, to the detriment of the team, and with big games against Chelsea and Sevilla coming up was just terrible management and decision making from Mourinho.

Cut out the sh1t. Ironic coming from you.

Our usually drag out the “oh can we not have a different opinion than you “ line whe you are challenged for your posts and posting style. I disagree with loads of people on here and vice versa. It’s healthy and enjoyable when you think or know it’s genuine debate. It’s incredibly frustrating when you don’t believe the posters are genuine with what they are posting.

If you get enjoyment from p1ss8ng around on the thread wit( your posts so be it but I will never understand it.

And he was right. We're 2nd and in the Champions League knock out stages, they were in the relegation zone and already lost to us 4-1 this season.

He had now worries over Pogba in a two when plenty of others did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just to challenge this;

Jose takes some blame.

But Martial had two goals handed to him on a plate, and missed both.
    Smalling had a dreadful game all over the shop.
    Lingard was MIA

Loads of blame to go round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement