Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just for the record, that stat started from 2014 for teams under Mourinho. It includes the meltdown season at Chelsea where they went behind in heaps of games. I can't be arsed looking into it, but I suspect that that season represents a lot of those games. Felt a bit disingenuous

Probably just in my mind as a friend brings it up frequently in the aftermath of a result like this. Feels the manager has zero impact when chasing games, for someone that's considered a world class manager. I agree with him to an extent, but my issues is more how he allows the team just turn into route 1 so quickly, instead of being calm and working the ball through our threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    Cut out the sh1t. Ironic coming from you.

Our usually drag out the “oh can we not have a different opinion than you “ line whe you are challenged for your posts and posting style. I disagree with loads of people on here and vice versa. It’s healthy and enjoyable when you think or know it’s genuine debate. It’s incredibly frustrating when you don’t believe the posters are genuine with what they are posting.

If you get enjoyment from p1ss8ng around on the thread wit( your posts so be it but I will never understand it.

Well if you don't believe I'm being genuine then that's your problem. Put me on your ignore list instead of engaging with me if that's the case. I'm fully prepared to be challenged for my posts and also enjoy genuine discussion and debate. You are the one with the petty digs claiming I was pathetic, or calling myself and Bangkok "serial complainers" or moan that we must always "go against the grain". If you can't handle opposing opinions then this forum isn't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »
    The team is evidently pathetic at recovering from setbacks or chasing games. If you want to try twist it the narrative of me vs Jose work away, just codding yourself

Glad you saw the game and commented on it.

You do seem to miss all the wins though.

Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    You also said

So yeah theres that.

Yea and whats your point?? We should be beating them. Pathetic

He had now worries over Pogba in a two when plenty of others did.

A fit Pogba in a midfield two should be enough when playing against relegation fodder.

• Advertisement

Liverpools attack..... class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And of course they are gifted a goal from nothing but **** defending......which is somehow class.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Well if you don't believe I'm being genuine then that's your problem. Put me on your ignore list instead of engaging with me if that's the case. I'm fully prepared to be challenged for my posts and also enjoy genuine discussion and debate. You are the one with the petty digs claiming I was pathetic, or calling myself and Bangkok "serial complainers" or moan that we must always "go against the grain". If you can't handle opposing opinions then this forum isn't for you.

I don’t have an ignore list.

I wasn’t even responding to your post originally, it was Bangkok. It was only when you came chiming in that I had to respond, so don’t go playing the victim card.

Anyway there you go again with “if you can’t handle opposing opinions this forum isn’t for you” bs. I have tried to explain that to you but has obviously fallen on deaf ears or you are wilfully ignoring it. Neither would surprise me.

I’m happy to post on this forum, have done for over a decade and had many a debate and disgreement with posters over the years. I’ve also seen the like of your and Bangkok’s posting styles come and go too.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jose takes some blame.

But Martial had two goals handed to him on a plate, and missed both.
    Smalling had a dreadful game all over the shop.
    Lingard was MIA

Loads of blame to go round.

Martial did miss yes and I called that out.
    Smalling made a mistake it happens.
    Lingard was terrible too.

But ultimately the team selection was the main problem for me. And the problem is blatantly obvious. Jose isn't immune to criticism. I'm not here to argue with guys by the way. Just healthy debate. Some lads have agendas tbf are are on the wind up so probably not helping the discussion.

We were torn apart with practically the same team against Spurs and the performance was near identical accept Spurs are a miles better outfit than Newcastle are as we know.

We simply didn't create enough and we had gaping holes again in midfield.
    Matic has been ran into the ground. I imagine he's wrecked.

We can't keep turning around and saying half the team needs to go every time a result is poor.

Then there have been some odd opinions here like some lads having the gaul to say Lukaku had a **** game?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Genuinely the biggest WUM since AIG

• Advertisement

He had now worries over Pogba in a two when plenty of others did.

He didn’t have worries over Pogba ina midfield two until recently. He has defended him to the hilt, callled him the best midfielder in the league and one of the best in the world.

I wasn’t even responding to your post originally, it was Bangkok. It was only when you came chiming in that I had to respond, so don’t go playing the victim card.

Anyway there you go again with “if you can’t handle opposing opinions this forum isn’t for you” bs. I have tried to explain that to you but has obviously fallen on deaf ears or you are wilfully ignoring it. Neither would surprise me.

I’m happpy to post on this forum, have done for over a decade and had many a debate and disagree that with posters over the years. I’ve also seen the like of your and Bangkok’s posting styles come and go to.

Dont worry, im going nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

The worst thing is that we brought Carrick and Mata on and we passed much better. So you think we should start them next game, but when we do, Mata will be anonymous and Carrick will get overrun. We cant seem to get a settled lineup that anybody is happy with before kick off because nobody is putting their hand up in each position really.

It's pretty much how match gamaes have been going for awhile now

Lingard is hiding, mata needs to come on.
    Lingard needs to start mata keeps going missing and too easily pushed off the ball.
    This game needs mata.
    Martial needs to start
    Martial starts and runs the ball into 4 defenders, misses sitters and has almost as poor decision making as rashford. Martial should be dropped.
    Rashford needs to start.
    Rashford starts, poor finishing, poor decision making.
    Lukaaku can't kick snow off a rope.
    Shaw needs to start. Shaw starts, does fck all
    Young needs to come back.
    Young's given the ball away too much.

Jose's ruining all the things.

It's like watching the match in the games room in Dundrum.

And of course they are gifted a goal from nothing but **** defending......which is somehow class.

More away goals than any other team in europe. Credit where credit due

I’m happpy to post on this forum, have done for over a decade and had many a debate and disagree that with posters over the years. I’ve also seen the like of your and Bangkok’s posting styles come and go to.

Again, another petty dig here. have a look through your posts since the game ended, always sign off with a little dig. "two of a kind" "never seen a football game in your life" "serial complainers" "pathetic really but whatever gets you off" "playing the victim card"

I see you've tried to provoke TheDoc as well with another snide post. Seriously, grow up.

bangkok wrote: »
    Dont worry, im going nowhere

Most that I’m thinking of didn’t leave of their own volition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Again, another petty dig here. have a look through your posts since the game ended, always sign off with a little dig. "two of a kind" "never seen a football game in your life" "serial complainers" "pathetic really but whatever gets you off" "playing the victim card"

I see you've tried to provoke TheDoc as well with another snide post. Seriously, grow up.

Tbf, you spent a couple of years defending an indefensible Rooney. It's weird that you aren't the same with some of the other players who are showing more than Rooney did during that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mick, Smalling didn't make A mistake, he made several.

Gave away the free kick very early on the edge of the box
    Was gifted by a referee when he didn't concede a penalty
    Gave away a free kick with a dive in his own half (why FFS) and then was poor in the set piece

If there was an opposite to the MotM award, he'd be getting it. He was awful.

Tbf, you spent a couple of years defending an indefensible Rooney. It's weird that you aren't the same with some of the other players who are showing more than Rooney did during that time.

TBH Rooney was the only topic he didn't throw a load of FUD at.

If he discussed other players in the same manner he'd be taking a lot more seriously IMO

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Would you please SHUT THE **** UP, or at least head over to the Liverpool thread/General Premier League thread if you want to fawn over their attack. Wedon't need you being Captain ****ing Obvious.

First it was City you were fapping yourself over, now it's Liverpool.

So its ok to slag, but not ok to give a bit of credit. Sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Liverpools attack..... class

93 goals in all competitions, they are a top heavy side. Can score goals but can't defend at all

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lord TSC wrote: »

Gave away a free kick with a dive in his own half (why FFS) and then was poor in the set piece

I'd swap awful for drizzling ****s, but that's me, I'd gladly see Smalling shipped in the summer.

• bangkok wrote: »

It's the timing of it that's agitating posters I would suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

See M!Ck^ knows..

I won't single him out however bad a performance he had.

We shouldn't have ever been in this position in the first place.

The team was wrong and If we had control of midfield in the first place then we would have won't he game.

Cop on to yourself lad.

We're still licking the wounds it's only been 5 minutes and you're salivating over a liverpool attack who was gifted a goal.

I know you're not completely fcking clueless but damn you're trying to act like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm blaming Jose for specific issues that clearly haven't been addressed in multiple games and it's come to light clearly with this result again.

I am no water carrier for Mourinho, if I disagree with something he does I will say it, but here is the reason I find myself defending him frequently this season.

Jose does nothing but address these issues, to the point that we never have a settled team because of attempts to address these issues.

The point has already been made, the team and formation gets shuffled more than a box of truffles and the end result is always that we would have been better off with different player in position X. Swap Martial for Mata/Rashford, swap Pogba for McTominay, Smalling for Jones, Jones for Rojo, Shaw for Young, 433 for 451, 451 for 442, 442 for 433. Need midfielders, buy Pogba and Matic. Need attackers buy Lukaku and Sanchez. Need defenders buy Bailly and Lindeloff.

Mourinho has spent 18 months basically giving the fans all of the changes they wanted to see so you'll forgive me if I don't slate him too much for episode 27 of Martial slipping under the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

People's issue with how you post is that it seems you fawn over rivals on the back of a result for us which naturally rankles people.

You unerringly defend Pogba going so far as to blame anyone rather than apportion any blame to him.

You consistently piss all over Lukaka and give him zero breaks despite giving Pogba a free pass for every lacklustre display he has put in.

You constantly shift the goalposts rather than concede that you may actually be wrong about ANYTHING.

People naturally get browned off by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ah lads I knew this would be great entertainment.

• Advertisement

I defended the relentless scapegoating and hyperbole surrounding him and generally called for a bit of perspective. I don't really understand what you mean in the bolded part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The Newcastle goal seemed awfully similar to the goal Spurs scored.

High diagonal ball out to the left. Aerial battle lost and no one picking up the player waiting on the knock down.

Again i'll say it, for a team of 6 foot plus players they arent the greatest at scoring or defending high balls

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Would you please SHUT THE **** UP

Never a truer word spoken.

More away goals than any other team in europe. Credit where credit due

Why just away goals? I would contend you giving credit where it is due I a sketchy prospect at best...

Not really important, the simple fact you used a hopeful punt up field and a defensive **** up as evidence of a class attack again sums up the issue with you and objectivity.

They might score a great goal later and you could have thrown the jab then.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ah lads I knew this would be great entertainment.

Why, is your own team's match which is currently on not entertaining enough?

• I am no water carrier for Mourinho, if I disagree with something he does I will say it, but here is the reason I find myself defending him frequently this season.

Jose does nothing but address these issues, to the point that we never have a settled team because of attempts to address these issues.

The point has already been made, the team and formation gets shuffled more than a box of truffles and the end result is always that we would have been better off with different player in position X. Swap Martial for Mata/Rashford, swap Pogba for McTominay, Smalling for Jones, Jones for Rojo, Shaw for Young, 433 for 451, 451 for 442, 442 for 433. Need midfielders, buy Pogba and Matic. Need attackers buy Lukaku and Sanchez. Need defenders buy Bailly and Lindeloff.

Mourinho has spent 18 months basically giving the fans all of the changes they wanted to see so you'll forgive me if I don't slate him too much for episode 27 of Martial slipping under the radar.

I'm not asking anyone to slate him. I defend him just as much as I criticize him.

My repeated argument is that by simply playing a three man midfield we would have much more stability.

I said the exact same thing with Mikitaryan in the side playing the exact same position as Lingard.

Herreras form hasn't improved so it's up to Jose to do something about it with the tools he has available.

He has Mctominey available to him.

Use him.

• Advertisement

Just calling out the bull sh1tters as I see it.

They aren’t digs(again playing the victim). I’m sure I could easily quote yours wit( “grow up” “cut the sh1t” etc but to be there no point.

I’m not trying to “provoke” the Doc. I’m making a point that I think is valid. He (in his own words) “hates Mourinho as a person”, which is a bizzare thing to say and has seemed to only post I. Here whe Utd lose a game and is nowhere to be seen whe things are going well.

You yourself admitted on this thread yourself that you only post negative stuff so why should I take anything you say seriously or think you are being in any way objective?

Anyway Deaddonkey I’m not try8ng to dodge the issue but if you want to take it further I’d suggest taking it to PM as it’s totally off topic and probably irritating for other posters to read(I’m talking about the two of us here).

I'm only writing "grow up" and "cut the ****" in response to you calling me pathetic, a serial complainer etc.

At no point did I "admit" that I only post negative stuff.

Tell me this though, is the posting in the style of trump tweeting intentional? Cause honestly that does always make me smile and at least if your doing it intentionally I can factor it in as a redeeming feature :)

Reading your posts in trumps voice is excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I defended the relentless scapegoating and hyperbole surrounding him and generally called for a bit of perspective. I don't really understand what you mean in the bolded part.

You surely understand. Even now, your hyperbole surrounding Mourinho's decision to start Pogba goes against the statement you have just made about defending Rooney from hyperbole and being made a scapegoat. You arent consistent from situation to situation which comes across as odd. Anyway, have at it. Gonna go enjoy the rest of my Sunday.

I'm not asking anyone to slate him. I defend him just as much as I criticize him.

My repeated argument is that by simply playing a three man midfield we would have much more stability.

I said the exact same thing with Mikitaryan in the side playing the exact same position as Lingard.

Herreras form hasn't improved so it's up to Jose to do something about it with the tools he has available.

He has Mctominey available to him.

Use him.
    I'm still of the opinion that the two man midfield thing is way overblown, I mean, are Lingard, Martial and Sanchez just there for show? Is it union rules that stops them influencing the midfield against bloody Newcastle?

You surely understand. Even now, your hyperbole surrounding Mourinho's decision to start Pogba goes against the statement you have just made about defending Rooney from hyperbole and being made a scapegoat. You arent consistent from situation to situation which comes across as odd. Anyway, have at it. Gonna go enjoy the rest of my Sunday.

I still don't fully understand? There is no hyperbole in my posts regarding Mourinho today. I made it clear that I thought his management of Pogba today was very poor and contributed to our defeat.

• Advertisement

• I'm still of the opinion that the two man midfield thing is way overblown, I mean, are Lingard, Martial and Sanchez just there for show? Is it union rules that stops them influencing the midfield against bloody Newcastle?

I already said before a ball was kicked that the team should have been enough to beat Newcastle but as I said that didn't address the issue whatsoever.

It was still present just not as obvious against weaker opposition.

Jose played that team with the issue still present and we were punished for it.

He should have handled Pogba better also. If he had an inclination that Pogba was injured at warm up then drop him for the good of the team.
    If he was trusting Pogbas judgement he should have reacted to the fact he could hardly run at half pace for the first 25 minutes and beyond. He was limping all over the shop and he still left him on after half time.

On Pogba in general he was **** against Spurs but again he's not a holding midfielder nor ever will be.

He's best in attacking situations. We witnessed this against Everton where Jose near accidently had a midfield 3 in play.

He reverted to a midfield two the next game.

• Cop on Bangkok seriously

You said everyone was blaming the ref at half time for Utds performance when they clearly were not

Then as you were challanged on the post you proceeded to move the goalposts.

You then proceeded to spout ****e about Lukaku who was Utds best player today

Then you proceed to talk about Liverpool repeatedly after Utd have been just beaten in the Utd thread

Do you not understand why some posters might be annoyed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

But we've spanked multiple relegation fodder teams playing a midfield two of Pogba and Matic this season., Mick. It's not as if it hasn't worked on a lot of occasions....

But we've spanked multiple relegation fodder teams playing a midfield two of Pogba and Matic this season., Mick. It's not as if it hasn't worked on a lot of occasions....

I understand. I've acknowledged that fact already.
    The issue was still present as I said. The opposition was weaker and sometimes luck runs out. We were lucky in some of those games you are talking about.

Jose played that team with the issue still present and we were punished for it.

TBH we were punished for poor finishing.
    Pogba fit, not fit, not giving a fck. whatever it was.
    Some poorly weighted balls in the final 3rd.
    Some clowning around by smalling.
    A small bit of luck not going our way (besides the peno shout obviously)

The two man field is not what caused the problems. When you have the ball 65% of the game arguments about the midfield are fairly mute.

I think everyone and their aunt has a grasp on our best formation. But if going away to Newcastle dictates it. There's bigger problems.

• limnam wrote: »
    TBH we were punished for poor finishing.
    Pogba fit, not fit, not giving a fck. whatever it was.
    Some poorly weighted balls in the final 3rd.
    Some clowning around by smalling.
    A small bit of luck not going our way (besides the peno shout obviously)

The two man field is not what caused the problems. When you have the ball 65% of the game arguments about the midfield are fairly mute.

I think everyone and their aunt has a grasp on our best formation. But if going away to Newcastle dictates it. There's bigger problems.

My problem is when Newcastle broke away we looked vurnerable because of it.

We won’t win the league playing a midfield two with Pogba. I’ve said that from the start. The team is totally unbalanced in that set up and more likely to give up chances, create less chances etc.

Playing a midfield three will make us more attacking and also give up less chances and give us a much better chance of controlling games which we really struggle to do.

That’s not to say it’s the be all and end all because we know there are other issues that have been pointed out repeatedly but just because there are other issues doesn’t mean we should call for this very basic and important one to be addressed.

My problem is when Newcastle broke away we looked vurnerable because of it.

They had one shot on target from open play and even that was a rebound of a free kick. (besides the goal)

How vulnerable is that?

We won’t win the league playing a midfield two with Pogba. I’ve said that from the start. The team is totally unbalanced in that set up and more likely to give up chances, create less chances etc.

Playing a midfield three will make us more attacking and also give up less chances and give us a much better chance of controlling games which we really struggle to do.

That’s not to say it’s the be all and end all because we know there are other issues that have been pointed out repeatedly but just because there are other issues doesn’t mean we should call for this very basic and important one to be addressed.

So jose is to blame?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement