Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• limnam wrote: »
    They had one shot on target from open play and even that was a rebound of a free kick. (besides the goal)

How vulnerable is that?

They pressed Matic everytime he had possession. He had to be subbed as he was run off his feet.

They scored from the breakdown off the free kick. You could argue another midfiled could have been positioned to clear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Glad you saw the game and commented on it.

You do seem to miss all the wins though.

Funny that.

I see every game, and I you can find me posting after every.

You probably just don't get to sharpen your knives if I'm not commenting after a loss, along with your thanker there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    My problem is when Newcastle broke away we looked vurnerable because of it.

As we always do. Teams don’t have to do anything special to it through us when that formation is played and sooner or later they will punish you.

The problem is though, I doubt anyone thought we would get back into the game once we conceded. A damning indictment of the players.

The first one is all on Jose of course. I personally think it’s ludicrous that he’s persisting with a two involving Pogba.

• adox wrote: »
    We won’t win the league playing a midfield two with Pogba. I’ve said that from the start. The team is totally unbalanced in that set up and more likely to give up chances, create less chances etc.

Playing a midfield three will make us more attacking and also give up less chances and give us a much better chance of controlling games which we really struggle to do.

That’s not to say it’s the be all and end all because we know there are other issues that have been pointed out repeatedly but just because there are other issues doesn’t mean we should call for this very basic and important one to be addressed.

I've never once said it's the only problem. Just one of the primary problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Smalling and young need to be dropped. Shaw and rojo in

bangkok wrote: »
    So jose is to blame?

For what?

For playing a midfield two with Pogba? Of course.

That doesn’t then give the players a by for performing poorly, finishing poorly, making defensive mistakes or downing tools when under pressure or falling behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TheDoc wrote: »
    along with your thanker there ;)

you really know the convo is ****ed when people start giving digs about "thanks".

Teenage schoolgirl stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The problem is though, I doubt anyone thought we would get back into the game once we conceded. A damning indictment of the players.

You'll grow old and gray waiting on the likes of Martial to step up and drag a victory from the jaws of defeat.

I’m not trying to “provoke” the Doc. I’m making a point that I think is valid. He (in his own words) “hates Mourinho as a person”, which is a bizzare thing to say and has seemed to only post I. Here whe Utd lose a game and is nowhere to be seen whe things are going well.

I didn't take it as a provocation. Smiled a bit. Its fine you making that point, it's just incorrect.

You probably pay more attention to my forum avatar to spot my posts after a loss assuming I'll go at the manager, as opposed to when we win, and that's fine.

• Advertisement

I've never once said it's the only problem. Just one of the primary problems.

I wasn’t implying that and agre with you 100%. I through in the “that’s not the only problem of course” in case people thought I was suggesting it would solve everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

When is bailly meant to be back?

Well Mourinho has denied Pogba came off injured so I think people need a new excuse for him.

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Well Mourinho has denied Pogba came off injured so I think people need a new excuse for him.

Doesn't mean he wasn't fit tbf.
    I watched him. He wasn't fit IMO.
    But not excusing him either.

pjohnson wrote: »
    you really know the convo is ****ed when people start giving digs about "thanks".

Teenage schoolgirl stuff.

It's not a dig at all. It's two posters who can't see past a certain thing about me, so tailor everything around it.

I wasn't even a little surprised to see it either.

Teenage school stuff is not being able to accept someones differing opinion and even if you dont like it, moving past it to treat the posters point, issue or post with validity and equality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He was ****e?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pogba and Matic should be fine playing against the likes of Newcastle. Pogba didn’t look right from the off. He should have been hauled off by half time at the very latest.

Martial on the right doesn’t work and with Valencia behind him hinders our attack down the right hand side so much.
    Smalling and Jones are a terrible combo. You just can’t have 2 CBs that are so uncomfortable in possession. Jones for all his bravery and tackling is so poor on the ball. At least 3 times he directed others to pass back to De Gea today from around the halfway line with plenty of options around. It’s like he thinks everyone else is as uncomfortable in possession as he is. One of Bailly and Rojo have to be there with them until something long term is sorted.

He was clearly not fit in that game, so not entirely sure what angle the manager is coming at here.

What we really don't need is the media narrative of our manager and best player at blows/ not relating to continue

A media narrative has no impact on what happens inside the club.

That is for the people who enjoy or simply get swept up in media bull

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Pogba and Matic should be fine playing against the likes of Newcastle. Pogba didn’t look right from the off. He should have been hauled off by half time at the very latest.

Martial on the right doesn’t work and with Valencia behind him hinders our attack down the right hand side so much.
    Smalling and Jones are a terrible combo. You just can’t have 2 CBs that are so uncomfortable in possession. Jones for all his bravery and tackling is so poor on the ball. At least 3 times he directed others to pass back to De Gea today from around the halfway line with plenty of options around. It’s like he thinks everyone else is as uncomfortable in possession as he is. One of Bailly and Rojo have to be there with them until something long term is sorted.

I'd say even "the likes of Newcastle" have sussed us now. Best way to fcuk us is to take the (albeit considerable) risk and semi-ignore Pogba and just swarm Matic. We instantly loose shape and struggle to control the game.

Alli & Dembele + Ayoze and Shelvey have both had success doing this.

And you believe everything he says??

• Advertisement

Right lads after 13 years on here and the whole of boards I’ve gotten my first yellow for being uncivil.

I’m done with the soccer forum.

And you believe everything he says??

Well I suppose I could believe you. I mean I guess normally Pogba is such a driving box to box player this la-dee-da performance was so unusual and totally the first time it has happened :)

I would say Mourinho is trying to drag pogba up to the level he clearly feels he is at. Too often he is just coasting through games looking like he is going to do something but ultimately doing nothing. He is a big personality, he wants to be the leader so he needs to go and do that.

Mourinho saying it was tactical is telling pogba you weren't good enough today, same as subbing and dropping him Was, and I expect better. If pogba can't handle that kind of managing he won't be the top class player he can be.

Now as Mourinho you can't actually win no matter what comment you make on it...but that is obvious enough so no need to explain in detail

Right lads after 13 years on here and the whole of boards I’ve gotten my first yellow for being uncivil.

Ah don’t go man. It’s only a warning. Best off just ignoring the nonsense.

Relax, breath. Its not that important just step away for a bit if need be but please do come back. Hardly worth jacking it in for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Is it me or can Lukaku look flat footed at times.

A few times today the ball broke and if he were sharper he wouldve got the ball instead there was a slow lumbersome response.

Still not playing to his strenghts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

He was ****e?

He IS ***e?
    Fixes that for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Well I suppose I could believe you. I mean I guess normally Pogba is such a driving box to box player this la-dee-da performance was so unusual and totally the first time it has happened :)

Was it Gary Nevillie who said it's hard to know if he's waltzing around because he's injured or if he's just waltzing around.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Is it me or can Lukaku look flat footed at times.

A few times today the ball broke and if he were sharper he wouldve got the ball instead there was a slow lumbersome response.

Still not playing to his strenghts

One of the best players on the pitch today for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

limnam wrote: »
    One of the best players on the pitch today for me

His work rate is phenomenal but at times he seems to switch off and that second of hesitancy sees him 2nd to a loose ball in the box where he is most dangerous.

The fact he was dropping so deep shows how poorly those who are there to supply him were doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Jose had made the Pogba situation perfectly clear. If Pogba doesn't learn to defend he will eventually be gone. Jose has never been afraid to get rid of players that don't play his way.

"(It) Means you have to defend well, have the physical conditions to go to the other box, where you have to be good at scoring, creating, heading and then, when your team loses the ball, you have to go to the other box.

"Now people say a box to box has to play free of defensive duties.
    "That is not box to box - that is a box in the box and stay in that box!

"I think nowadays with some pundits, some agents, some family members, I think the concept of the box to box is changing a little bit.

Jose Mourinho says Paul Pogba is a midfielder pure and simple
    "But I just think - midfield players. And, for me, Paul is a midfield player. He is not a left back, he is not a striker.

"So, people ask what is the best position for Paul to play - Paul is a midfield player. It doesn't matter the tactical system the team plays, he will always be a midfield player.

"Between me and Paul there are no confusions - he is a midfield player and that's it.
    "And it is difficult to find a midfield player with more potential than Paul has. Paul has everything."

I'd say even "the likes of Newcastle" have sussed us now. Best way to fcuk us is to take the (albeit considerable) risk and semi-ignore Pogba and just swarm Matic. We instantly loose shape and struggle to control the game.

Alli & Dembele + Ayoze and Shelvey have both had success doing this.
    An average game from Pogba would have done today. It’s not like we were overran and under pressure the whole game. The midfield is not the reason we lost imo.

He IS ***e?
    Fixes that for you

No it doesn't fix It, he is patently not **** in general.playing ability terms. He was **** today though in performance terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think Jones is poor on the ball at all. He's able to play out. The other team (and not just today) based their press around Smalling as all he ever does is hoof unless he's in acres of space.

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't think Jones is poor on the ball at all. He's able to play out. The other team (and not just today) based their press around Smalling as all he ever does is hoof unless he's in acres of space.

Everything looks so laboured for me. I don’t see him as a decent footballer at all. That’s not to say he won’t be a valuable defender. It just doesn’t work when he’s paired with Smalling.
    Vidic wasn’t great on the ball either and he had a superb career with us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Adox, please dont :(

https://twitter.com/squawka/status/962724625426862081

Chris Smalling did not win a successful tackle in the entire match against newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm unsubscribing too for a bit, the thread is great when everything goes great, but is absolutely toxic when things go pear shaped and tempers, shall we say run a bit wild.

In the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin, i'll catch you all down the road another time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

:(

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pogba is poo

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

Chris Smalling did not win a successful tackle in the entire match against newcastle.

Smalling is terrible. What did rojo do to get dropped?? I know hes not the best but hes def better than smalling

Smalling is terrible. What did rojo do to get dropped?? I know hes not the best but hes def better than smalling

Rojo was also utter dross the last few games he played.

Rojo was also utter dross the last few games he played.

Yea he isnt the best either. Would be happy to see both sold and a world class defender signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Would we have been better off with Pogba as he was sitting it out injured after the warm up injury?

Of course we would. Madness letting him go on for so long & ultimately the man of the match flourished against him.

Schwanz wrote: »
    Would we have been better off with Pogba as he was sitting it out injured after the warm up injury?

Of course we would. Madness letting him go on for so long & ultimately the man of the match flourished against him.

So is the opinion that playing Scott McT would have made today better? Or Carrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This isn't a smart ass question, I'm being genuine here when I ask what is a tackle?

Does it count head duals, shielding, blocks, interceptions?

Is it simply he failed in all of his attempts to win the ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nalz wrote: »
    This isn't a smart ass question, I'm being genuine here when I ask what is a tackle?

Does it count head duals, shielding, blocks, interceptions?

Is it simply he failed in all of his attempts to win the ball?

I assume the last bit failed to win the ball

Nalz wrote: »

Pogba is poo

If Jose is going to have him in a midfield 2 with defensive duties well then he will continue to be poo.

In saying that, he has performed very well there against bottom half teams when there wasn’t much to defend. He was completely out of sorts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Been a poor week around here

First we lose Jayop, now adox is going.

Jaysus we need to smash a few teams to get moral back up

• Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Been a poor week around here

First we lose Jayop, now adox is going.

Jaysus we need to smash a few teams to get moral back up

Where's jayop gone

Where's jayop gone

On a six month "vacation" that we can't talk about any further ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement