Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wonder if Jose will have a word with our defenders who insist on passing the ball side to side and then hoof it up the field.
    Ashley Young lately seems fixated on just kicking the ball as far up along the line as possible. Valencia on the other side runs forward,stops,does his little dance over the ball and plays it backwards. At one stage today I actually thought my TV had frozen as he literally stood still with the ball at his feet as if he had no idea what to do.
    The less said about Smalling and to a lesser extent Jones' distribution from the back the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm accepting pm s on what happened to jayop as I obviously missed that too

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Jayop’s account is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So strictly for the bases of conversation does anyone ever wonder how different things would be if we had pep as a manager?

What kinda players would we have?

How would we play?

Would we be top by so much like city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Nalz wrote: »
    :(

Pogba is poo

Well that's nothing new. He's been so for pretty much his whole time here.

He's one of many who once they come too Utd,have failed too live up to expectations,or continue too.

Mata
    Di Maria
    Falcao
    Depay
    Lukaku
    Sanchez
    Mkhitaryan
    Shaw
    Schneiderlin

We've spent so much money on utter dross. In our squad now only De Gea is truly world class. The rest are very good too decent players. Not any would make the starting 11 of our rivals.

Bret Hart wrote: »

We've spent so much money on utter dross. In our squad now only De Gea is truly world class. The rest are very good too decent players. Not any would make the starting 11 of our rivals.

Did you type that with a straight face?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This world is too dark now, no longer fun round here, name your cliche watching United hurts too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah jaysus the whole place is gone into meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The question of Pogba's fitness is moot imo, once you're out there the expectation is that you're able to perform regardless and from that perspective he was pish, plain and simple.

Chris Smalling cost us another goal and more points, nothing new there. Should've conceded a penalty also from his usual "if I can see the ball I can win it" daft mentality.

Forward play was scrappy, too many times the final ball was misplaced and a lot of them weren't even difficult balls. Lots of misplaced 5-7 yard passes, particularly in the first half.

Major question for me though is why we made so many changes to the side that played Huddersfield a full week ago, even before we broach the question why it was to go back to the complete side that performed so poorly at Spurs. Mata showed his ability to move the ball around quickly when he came on and that in particular could've greatly improved on the scrappy forward play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

So strictly for the bases of conversation does anyone ever wonder how different things would be if we had pep as a manager?

What kinda players would we have?

How would we play?

Would we be top by so much like city?

I'd say we'd be a lot less than 16 points away from the top of the table anyway. I doubt Lukaku would be at the club either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thought Lukaku put in a reasonable shift today but I've no idea why he decided to over complicate things when he played Sanchez in for his big chance. He could have easily threaded a simple through ball but opted for the more difficult option. I guess a lesser keeper may not have come off his line as quick.

If you were to take a screenshot the moment Lukaku had the ball at his feet you would be thinking definite goal for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So is the opinion that playing Scott McT would have made today better? Or Carrick?

A fit player would have yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Despite United having on paper anyway a fantastic attacking line when ypu look at defense De Gea apart its pretty average in comparison to City (i only reference them as they are top) who have investedheavily in defense.

Apart from Bailly we havent bought a defender in a couple of years.

Does anyone really think Young would be playing left back for any other top European team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Happy Birthday Alexander Büttner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Despite United having on paper anyway a fantastic attacking line when ypu look at defense De Gea apart its pretty average in comparison to City (i only reference them as they are top) who have investedheavily in defense.

Does anyone really think Young would be playing left back for any other top European team?
    We spent a considerable amount of money on lindelof in the summer.

Worrying that he's not seeing much game time as of late with the reduced competition at the moment.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    We spent a considerable amount of money on lindelof in the summer.

Worrying that he's not seeing much game time as of late with the reduced competition at the moment.

I actually totally forgot we bought him

Did Phil Jones kill him in training or something

Did you type that with a straight face?

Looking at our squad again. Matic would get into 1 of our rivals first 11.

I should of course pointed out in my previous post how I was referring to the sides battling it out for the top 4 spots. Sides from 5th onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He's one of many who once they come too Utd,have failed too live up to expectations,or continue too.

Mata
    Di Maria
    Falcao
    Depay
    Lukaku
    Sanchez
    Mkhitaryan
    Shaw
    Schneiderlin

Em Sanchez has played 3 games so far, bit quick to write him off don't you think?

niallo27 wrote: »

A lot still wearing there rose tinted glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you not buy Lindelhof in the summer for £33m or something?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you not buy Lindelhof in the summer for £33m or something?

Like I said I totally forgot we bought him.

Its ok though we have Ashley Young

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, when someone starts with the "Jose Out" nonsense, as per Brett's location, it's time to take a break. peace out guys.

niallo27 wrote: »

Ah go on you love it :D Not full meltdown yet though....yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

A lot still wearing there rose tinted glasses.

I took off those glasses and realised we are in the relegation zone

Looking at our squad again. Matic would get into 1 of our rivals first 11.

I should of course pointed out in my previous post how I was referring to the sides battling it out for the top 4 spots. Sides from 5th onwards.

Yes I am aware that you mean our rivals are teams going for the top 4. You know what, if that's your real opinion then so be it.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah, when someone starts with the "Jose Out" nonsense, as per Brett's location, it's time to take a break. peace out guys.

I dunno, when I see those kind of things it really smacks things into perspective in case I am in danger of overreacting myself. It makes me smile an remember the past few seasons, and then these past two and the progress being made.

Those guys perform a valuable role imo.

• Schwanz wrote: »
    Would we have been better off with Pogba as he was sitting it out injured after the warm up injury?

Of course we would. Madness letting him go on for so long & ultimately the man of the match flourished against him.

My point from earlier. It was a poor decision from Jose.

After the talk of Luke Shaw impressing in training and being on his way to a new contract, after seeing him actually impress in games since returning to the team, I can't understand why he was left out yet again today.

I like Young, but Shaw is a far better full back. One thing that Young can bring to the team is his ability to put a decent ball into the box. Shame I saw none of that from him today.

• Jayop’s account is closed.

Ah fs

There will be nobody left at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Mata
    Di Maria
    Falcao
    Depay
    Lukaku
    Sanchez
    Mkhitaryan
    Shaw
    Schneiderlin

lol, Mata is one of the better more consistent players, di maria, depay and miki played out of position which is on par for a jose team (and LVG)
    same for lukaku, not playing to his strengths

• Advertisement

After the talk of Luke Shaw impressing in training and being on his way to a new contract, after seeing him actually impress in games since returning to the team, I can't understand why he was left out yet again today.

I like Young, but Shaw is a far better full back. One thing that Young can bring to the team is his ability to put a decent ball into the box. Shame I saw none of that from him today.

I think its just Jose, he likes to more experienced (maybe in his mind more defensively/tactically sound) option away from home and is happier to go with Shaw at home. I don't necessarily agree with it, hell I don't agree with it at all but it is one possible explanation that makes sense to me given the manager.

Young before his suspension had been playing well to tbf but I would have Shaw in there every game at this point, he is just the better option. Is it possible Sanchez is playing into Mourinhos thinking also? That he can be allowed more freedom with Young behind him and doesn't trust Shaw fully yet to play that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've seen it mentioned a few times we dont play to Lukaku's strengths, we play to nobodies strengths since we mostly dont have a midfield.

lol, Mata is one of the better more consistent players, di maria, depay and miki played out of position which is on par for a jose team (and LVG)
    same for lukaku, not playing to his strengths

:D:D:D

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah fs

There will be nobody left at this rate

We'll have the City/Liverpool fans telling us how they are "class" compared to us. Dont worry!

Isn't it funny, that still still makes perfect sense if you swap Young for Delph?

I think its just Jose, he likes to more experienced (maybe in his mind more defensively/tactically sound) option away from home and is happier to go with Shaw at home. I don't necessarily agree with it, hell I don't agree with it at all but it is one possible explanation that makes sense to me given the manager.

Young before his suspension had been playing well to tbf but I would have Shaw in there every game at this point, he is just the better option. Is it possible Sanchez is playing into Mourinhos thinking also? That he can be allowed more freedom with Young behind him and doesn't trust Shaw fully yet to play that role.

Good point and a possible likely reason. Not that I'd agree with it myself either.

It could come down to trust, and the point you made about Sanchez too. Maybe Young does offer Sanchez more freedom when going forward. Although, I have seen Sanchez get back very quickly in his games with us so far. His defensive attributes are much better than I previously would have given him credit for.

So we could be looking at Jose choosing the attacking advantage of Shaw versus the defensive reliability of Young. I understand it, but I'd really like to see us take more chances. Especially in games like today's.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Em Sanchez has played 3 games so far, bit quick to write him off don't you think?

He's played the four. I'd not think so.In the Yeovil game he was good.In the Spurs game he was meh.Against Huddersfield ok,today against Newcastle he played ok.

1 goal and 1 assist so far. Goal coming courtesy of a rebound from a poor penalty. The assist against a relagation battling League 2 Yeovil side. Not exactly lighting up the place.

He's played the four. I'd not think so.In the Yeovil game he was good.In the Spurs game he was meh.Against Huddersfield ok,today against Newcastle he played ok.

1 goal and 1 assist so far. Goal coming courtesy of a rebound from a poor penalty. The assist against a relagation battling League 2 Yeovil side. Not exactly lighting up the place.

Whatever about the rest of the players you listed, they're arguable, I have to highly disagree about Sanchez.

Never mind that I think he has performed better than you give him credit for, it's just far too soon to be putting him on any list at the club, failures or successes.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since he signed for United, c'mon now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop gone

all-by-myself-dr-who-meme.gif

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jayop gone

Like Stringer, I'm outta loop if anyone fancies sending me a PM. However, I can take a guess and if I'm right, it ain't right.

So Jayo, what are you going to do now that you're our favourite Jayo again?

Edit: Actually, isn't their a jaykay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Jasis this place is utter scutter after that plop. *WARNING* “Soccer forums may contain muppets”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

Haven't posted in here for a while, suffice to say I'm sick a and tired of all the excuses being put out. Read a post in here this morning about next year being our year... seriously delusional.
    Paul Pogba should have been given the message last season that his effort is seriously lacking, a year late doing it this season, but better late than never. He was the answer, then he needed a defensive partner... now we need another midfielder !. Can't figure it out.. Is he seriously lacking between the ears , an unintelligent player but a great athlete or does he sometimes not give a fck. Why drop Shaw when he's finding good form ? This improved lark is starting to look hollow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Jayop gone

What all I got was an add for its a woman car insurance
    Am i missing something here
    Jayo26 can ye pm me

No

Congratulations. Theres been some cracking posts today but surely this is the corker post of the day. 4 games and hes a flop!

Jayop’s account is closed.

the result of bias moderation against him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Are you not giving him the credit for assisting his own goal, by playing it cleverly off the keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Nalz wrote: »
    :(

Pogba is poo

Mata
    Di Maria
    Falcao
    Depay
    Lukaku
    Sanchez
    Mkhitaryan
    Shaw
    Schneiderlin

Eh, Sanchez?

He’s been here about 2 weeks!

And he’s looked excellent.

Bizarre.

Shame about Jayop. Hopefully Adox returns when he is calmer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/962793616086323201

We should be all over this,Alderweireld left out of Spurs squad for Juventus game and is stalling on a new contract. He also has a buyout clause which should help with the Levy "United tax".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement