Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Julez wrote: »
    Thread's gone to shíte.

Doesn't matter, it'll be empty in a few weeks at the rate people are leaving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So the Mirror saying that Jose will ditch Jones and Smalling in the summer and bring in Varane and Harry Maguire as replacements.

Its worth pointing out that we have been in this slump for over two months now. Not since November have we really been in a position where we could be confident which side is going to turn up, the flat track bullies or the pussies in their shells.

Our league form going back to the Arsenal game start of December is LWLWWWDDDWWLW. There is nothing particularly impressive about that and with Chelsea and Liverpool both next up I'm wouldn't be confident of it getting any better.

I can't really disagree with any of that.

You go to the Arsenal game, for me it was earlier, sometime around the Liverpool match where something seemed different. It appears to be a season of two halves so far, two different Uniteds - The United who had a strong, confident start to the season, and the United who have stagnated a bit since sometime around October/November, and we've been waiting for them to consistently return to that early season form ever since.

Critics would say that of course United had an impressive start to the season, on paper it was an easy run of fixtures. And yes, it was. However, we've had runs just as 'easy' since then but have not played with the edge or the attacking ability that we saw in those first 6-8 weeks of the season. Not with that overall cohesion in the team. Nor have we won as convincingly or as regularly as we did in those early months.

Don't get me wrong - We weren't controlling and dominating those early games for a full 90 minutes, but I do remember us getting at least a good half out of the team in each game. Be it the first or second half, United played effective and somewhat attractive football for about 45 minutes. Now though, we see more like 10 minutes of that in games. And it's just attractive, not even effective (Those first 5-10 minutes after Spurs got the early goal, we responded and played quite well but didn't score, and then the rest of our game and performance went to muck)

There are still very brief signs of that attacking edge in recent games, that ability to be swift, clinical and punish the opposition for mistakes, however it's in the minority of what's on view lately. Earlier on in the season that kind of play was almost expected when we sat down to watch a United game, now it is the exception and is taken as a promising sign in a turgid reality.

I know that we underwent that unbeaten run last season which featured many frustrating draws. I know that we're second now and higher than we've been in years, but I'm starting to think that the football currently on show is some of the worst in Jose's reign at the club so far. Not putting that on him, just making my own observation on his timeline so far with us.

When that garners wins, you don't mind. Recently it hasn't though. The disjointedness and unpredictability on the field has lead to unexpected losses and draws, over the last 6 weeks especially. Results which are allowing us to be dragged into a dogfight for Top 4, and results which are killing us from building any momentum going into a very important final third of the season.

And that's the thing, there's still a third of the season left to go. Even though the PL is won by City, there is still plenty of work to be done to secure second place. The CL is only getting going now and we've that to focus on too. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with the club picking up another FA Cup, or at least trying their best to. However long this 'slump' has been going on for, a few weeks, a few months, it needs to end very soon. There is still so much to play for this season.

Huddersfield (fffúck am I sick of typing that name these past few months) are battling for PL survival. There's a good chance that they might rest players next Saturday. That the FA Cup is a luxury which they cannot afford to go all-in on at the moment. Especially with a PL game against fellow relegation candidates West Brom coming up the following weekend. Even at that though, I can't be fully confident that this United team are going to beat them, let alone do it comprehensively away next Saturday.

Not a great position to be in at the moment, mentally. Even if physically 'we're still second'. We've been 'still second' throughout this, but are now finally approaching that stage where we won't be still second for much longer if the stagnation in our performances and results continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The same Poch that has won literally nothing as a manager?

The same Poch that has never had a job with any kind of pressure?

The same Poch that has won only one away game in 18 vs top 6 rivals?

The same Poch who for all the pretty football is still 4 points behind stinky pants Jose?

The United job is not a project for unproven managers, we tried that with Moyes and it was an unmitigated disaster.

The United job is arguably the biggest job in world football and by a country mile is the biggest job in England.

The expectation at Saints was not get relegated.

The expectation at Spurs is to challenge for a top 4 spot.

He has operated under zero pressure from fans or the board in any job he has had.

I'd rather stick with Jose tbh, even if we don't get top 4 this year.

ManUtd will always make mistakes hiring manager as long as they see the CV rather than what coach can bring to the side.

I don't rate Poch as second coming, last season I argued that Jardim was better as he won the league and made CL semi finals, played all out attack and was such a fantastic side to watch but you are way too harsh on Poch.

Poch has not won anything as they don't have the team or squad depth to cope with injuries. He is still only 3 years at the club that has realistic chance of winning any trophies.

Every PL manager is under pressure, even AVB who was before Poch was under pressure and lost his job when failed to finish in top 4.

United job is not a project, so was Barca job when they hired unproven coach, same with Milan when they hired Sacchi. Next is history. Same with Ancelotti when he was hired by Juventus. When Milan hired him only thing he ever won was Intertoto cup in 99, then he won 2 CLs with Milan.

Frank Rijkaard also didn't win anything when he was hired by Barca and that Barca team wasn't going anywhere forward. He won La ligas and CL. Sometimes you have to look beyond trophies to see what a coach can bring to the side.

What Poch did in England is just superb, forget league finishes, cups or big wins. He has improved so many players who were average or whose career was going nowhere before he joined. His Southampton team played so well against us when he joined and played us off the park in 2012-13, that was with just few weeks in charge. He was able to immediately stamp his authoriyt and mould the team as he wanted.

To say he operated under zero pressure is just a lie, there isn't a club in England where managers are not under pressure. If Poch's target is to finish in top 4 then he has done it comfortably with little spend compared to others.

Just look at his Spurs team, before he came Kane was a journeyman with so many loans to championship teams where he wasn't even regular player.
    Alli was in league 2.
    Walker was a clown and only thing he had was pace.
    Rose was loaned out to Sunderland.
    Vertonghen was a soft CB
    Dembele carrer stalled and was going nowhere.

Shaw had his best season under Poch when he was just 18 and was in PFA team of the year.

Poch improves playres and it's very obvious when you watch them. His team plays as a team and he gets more than sum of its parts.

I don't want Jose to be sacked but downplaying Poch's achievements is just wrong imo, just because he didn't win anything yet. He has set Spurs team for years and even if they sell those players, they will have so much money to play with.

Do you honestly don't see how good a job Poch has done with Spurs?

Doing well at a smaller club with low expectations. Limited budget, but useful signings and gets the best out of his players. Decent guy who also did well at his previous club. No trophies but its hard for smaller clubs to win trophies.

Remind you of anyone?

Winning leagues in so many countries, hired by biggest clubs in almost all major leagues, hired by ManUtd too for his wonderful CVa and wonderful World cup, legendary manager and one of the best for what he brought to the game.

Even won trophy at ManUtd but people couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Reminds you of anyone (Except the national team part)

No 2 managers are same. Everton were the best among the rest. Poch is competing with the best.

bangkok wrote: »
    Win the champions league?? We cant even beat newcastle ****ing united!!!

What a poor point.

Favourites for CL:

Barca: Couldn't even beat Espanyol at home.
    Bayern: Couldn't even beat Hoffenheim and Gladback
    PSG: Couldn't even beat Strasbourg and Lyon
    Madrid: Lost to Betis at home, Girona, Villarreal, Leganes.

Not saying we will win CL but the reasoning is very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd like to know

why you always

feel the need

to waste so much

screen space?

Maybe when you are making a number singular points you throw them all together into a garbled run through, I prefer not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What a poor point.

Favourites for CL:

Barca: Couldn't even beat Espanyol at home.
    Bayern: Couldn't even beat Hoffenheim and Gladback
    PSG: Couldn't even beat Strasbourg and Lyon
    Madrid: Lost to Betis at home, Girona, Villarreal, Leganes.

Not saying we will win CL but the reasoning is very poor.

It was said more in jest than anything else. Of course we can win it, a knockout competition over 2 legs, anything can happen and teams much worse than us have gone on to win it

• Julez wrote: »
    Thread's gone to shíte.

Is it? TBF most discussion / debate has been fairly reasonable bar the odd one or two looking for a reaction.

So a few easy ones this morning for the press to spoof off the back of a poor result / poor performance from Smalling.

"Central midfield and the right flank are the priority positions to reinforce in the summer but Alderweireld is that rare thing; an attainable Tottenham first-teamer and an exception should be made for such a commodity."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It was said more in jest than anything else. Of course we can win it, a knockout competition over 2 legs, anything can happen and teams much worse than us have gone on to win it

Your right anything can happen but i agree with your initial assessment. We tend to capitulate every now and again, if this happens in a knock out game and we give a team a run at us we are gone. We havent got it in us to claw back a defecit, it'll be tight games all the way if we were to win it but we have too many lapses in us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is it? TBF most discussion / debate has been fairly reasonable bar the odd one or two looking for a reaction.

So a few easy ones this morning for the press to spoof off the back of a poor result / poor performance from Smalling.

"Central midfield and the right flank are the priority positions to reinforce in the summer but Alderweireld is that rare thing; an attainable Tottenham first-teamer and an exception should be made for such a commodity."

Alderweireld would be a good buy. A very good player and if rumours are true he could be leaving in the summer. He still has a year left on his contract so Spurs will be no pushover.

CM and Tony V longterm replacement still the priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Alderweirald is the best CB in the league IMO.. crazy that he has a buy out clause, really not like Levy to do that

astradave wrote: »
    Alderweirald is the best CB in the league IMO.. crazy that he has a buy out clause, really not like Levy to do that

That clause will only be active if Spurs trigger extension in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The big problem, regardless of talent, in the United defence is there is no leadership imo. No one to instruct to inspire. When the chips are down, no one rallies the troops and gets people going. It is a general problem with the squad, we lack character and grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Looking forward to the FA Cup. Surely José must be targeting it as a big bit of a priority. Obviously a top 4 is main concern for most fans but José will not want a trophyless season and the FA Cup surely will be seen as the best chance for this.

Ourselves, Chelsea, City and Spurs are the top teams left in it. There is still plenty of time to go and we will see another cup shock but just need to ensure it's not us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Haven’t been in here since early Sunday morning. What did I miss?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Haven’t been in here since early Sunday morning. What did I miss?

Proper meltdown on Sunday

Great debate/discussion yesterday continuing into today..

With the odd oppo fan coming in trying to derail :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

astradave wrote: »
    Proper meltdown on Sunday

Great debate/discussion yesterday continuing into today..

With the odd oppo fan coming in trying to derail :D

Nothing out of the normal so?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Nothing out of the normal so?

Nope, was good discussion yesterday that would be a good read if you want to look back on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

was a time when United would be 2 down with 20 minutes to go and you be still thinking they could win

First goal in our games seem be so BIG now. We Score first, great, we win majority. Concede first and "oh crap" let's hope we can score and get a point. I can't name more the 1 game ( Boro last Xmas) where went goal down and won in PL last few seasons.

I'm sure I'm missing few obvious ones but it's so rare last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Previous Newcastle game but I get your point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

was a time when United would be 2 down with 20 minutes to go and you be still thinking they could win

First goal in our games seem be so BIG now. We Score first, great, we win majority. Concede first and "oh crap" let's hope we can score and get a point. I can't name more the 1 game ( Boro last Xmas) where went goal down and won in PL last few seasons.

I'm sure I'm missing few obvious ones but it's so rare last few years.

I feel as if that was there at the beginning of the season. The games where we were scoring 3 or 4 goals in the last 20 minutes of games through just battering the other teams.

But yeah, it's gone again now. There's a fragility about some players in the squad, and while we've added some who keep trying (Sanchez has impressed me in that regard so far), there's a few who seem to lose all self belief that they can fight back against teams that are beating them.

Its the "character" issue; we're badly in need of a few more hard men, for lack of a better term; players who when a goal goes in (preferably not in the opening 15 seconds) put their head down and go "Not an issue, we'll score three more now!"

Pogba is obviously beloved by the players, you can see that in how people look at him on the field. But as a captain, I've not seen him have that ability to grab other players when there's a bad performance and give them the kick up the ass they need. Valencia, Carrick, Smalling....they aren't the type of captain to roar abuse when a team is screwing things up, nor the type to inspire a struggling team to kick things up a notch.

It's the downside of spending the last few years focusing so much on youth.

Pogba is genuinely one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. His vision, physicality, technical skill, and range of passing are all fantastic. Put him in our midfield in front of 2 of our midfielders, and behind Salah, Mane, and Firmino, and he'd be unstoppable.

from the liverpool thread... i agree 100% by the way, jose needs to drop lingard, put an extra midfielder in there and let pogba florish

Pogba is genuinely one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. His vision, physicality, technical skill, and range of passing are all fantastic. Put him in our midfield in front of 2 of our midfielders, and behind Salah, Mane, and Firmino, and he'd be unstoppable.

from the liverpool thread... i agree 100% by the way, jose needs to drop lingard, put an extra midfielder in there and let pogba florish

I agree now.

Lingard's form meant he deserved a starting spot, but he's not justified it in the last handful of games, so I'd rather he move back to the bench and let us shift to a 4-3-3.

The options at the moment for a third midfielder to get Pogba into his best position, don't fill me with confidence.

The big problem, regardless of talent, in the United defence is there is no leadership imo. No one to instruct to inspire. When the chips are down, no one rallies the troops and gets people going. It is a general problem with the squad, we lack character and grit.

Has been a problem for a while. Those types of players seem to be few and far between now.
    Be hoping whoever is signed in CM this summer adds a bit of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Crazy that people are talking about sacking Jose. Also crazy that people are talking about Pochettino being a flash in the pan.

Alderweireld is the best CB in the league by a distance imo, if there's even a chance at getting him I'd happily see us pay more for him than Van Dijk cost but if the rumours of a rift are true then this buyout clause would suggest you could even get him for a paltry David Luiz like sum :pac:

But anyway, I don't think it's simply a coincidence that our inconsistent form since xmas has coincided with Matic's wobble in form. The mistake prone back four is still the same mistake prone group since the start of the season and our attack has lacked fluidity since before xmas.

The issue is we just don't have a whole load of options for the midfield positions; Herrara has been poor all year, Carrick has had his health issues and is 36 anyway so 60-70 minutes per week is all you could probably have hoped for at best, and Fellaini hasn't been fit basically since he got injured on international duty before the Liverpool game. No harm to Scott McTominay either but ordinarily I don't think he'd have got a sniff at the first team if it wasn't for all these issues.

So our options are down to we play Matic and Pogba into form as a midfield two or we switch systems and move to a proper midfield three adding Carrick/Herrara and hope that we can play that group into form. Either way we have a whole load of central midfielders who just aren't playing nearly as well as they can.

As for the attacking three/four, well I'd prefer to see Mata in there for a start but some more organisation needs to be put on the front three i.e. decide how we're going to try and bring Lukaku into the game. Whether that's giving him the ball with his back to goal and having him link up with supporting players moving beyond him or just telling him to play on the shoulder of the defenders and working channels I don't really care at this stage, we just need to put some order on it and then decide if it's working or not because he's been fairly easy to defend against for a while.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Valencia, Carrick, Smalling....they aren't the type of captain to roar abuse when a team is screwing things up, nor the type to inspire a struggling team to kick things up a notch.

I know a lot don't even want him in the starting line-up but I always got the feeling that Jones would make a good captain. Seems vocal enough but I suppose missing games has been the big factor as to why he wouldn't be given it.

yabadabado wrote: »
    The options at the moment for a third midfielder to get Pogba into his best position, don't fill me with confidence.

Carrick all day long now he's back fit. Let him be the deepest of the trio with Matic filling in beside him. 36 years old but he can control a game, he's vulnerable to the press but he's usually had to play the Matic role by himself, just like Matic has been doing the last few months.

Herrera unfortunately hasn't kicked on for us at all this year, McTominay is a rotation option for FA cup, Lingard has been good but he fills Pogbas space and needs to go to the bench.

Blind is also an option, would 100% have to be playing with Matic or Carrick but he can fill in required although it doesnt look likely.

We needs an Essien type player, someone to knit the midfield together, goes both ways and has lots of energy. Prior to this season I thought that would be Herrera.

Carrick would be the obvious choice but can he still do it on a regular basis. Will he do 70 odd minutes twice a week after that long layoff?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Carrick would be the obvious choice but can he still do it on a regular basis. Will he do 70 odd minutes twice a week after that long layoff?

He doesn't need to do it twice a week, put him in for the important games and rotate him with McTominay/Herrera, we've a week break this week.

Tbh id start him Saturday, see how he goes in the FA cup then I'd play him against Chelsea and Liverpool, give him the midweek games off against Sevilla and Palace. All of that dependant on how he gets on in the FA Cup.

Who's for a spot of Phil Jones in midfield? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But yeah, it's gone again now. There's a fragility about some players in the squad, and while we've added some who keep trying (Sanchez has impressed me in that regard so far), there's a few who seem to lose all self belief that they can fight back against teams that are beating them.

Nobody commented on it but again, did anybody spot the difference between Sanchez and Martial in the last 20 minutes of that game?

I know Sanchez is older but thats nothing to do with age, thats mentality, and not once in his time at United have I seen any sign that Martial has the mentality or the attitude for a fight.

The excuses will roll out for him as usual but unless the club really, really looks at things like this these results are going to keep happening.

duffman13 wrote: »
    He doesn't need to do it twice a week, put him in for the important games and rotate him with McTominay/Herrera, we've a week break this week.

Tbh id start him Saturday, see how he goes in the FA cup then I'd play him against Chelsea and Liverpool, give him the midweek games off against Sevilla and Palace. All of that dependant on how he gets on in the FA Cup.

Who's for a spot of Phil Jones in midfield? :)

Sign me up provided he's allowed hit set pieces again.

People might say that Smalling is the latest scapegoat after another bad result but under LVG his performances and stats looked good due to our ultra conservative play which gave the defenders so much protection but it was noticeable that any time that protection was breached it was panic stations at the back.
    Is it a coaching thing that English defenders are expected to be a John Terry type first and a footballer second. A highlight reel of last ditch tackles and headers over playing football. Rio was an exception to this.
    Look back at the video posted the other day from the Erdivise and how a CB can be so comfortable on the ball compared to our "drive it up the field" method of defending.
    This has a knock on effect to all our play as Lukaku ends up playing like an expensive Niall Quinn where his game is more suited to running in behind rather than trying to control balls played up from 60 yards. Having our most creative and imaginative player stuck out of position doesn't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

How anyone can suggest Mauricio Pochettino as a potential replacement for Jose is beyond me. The man has won no trophies! His managerial honours consist of four Manager of the Month Awards. His CV is no different to Brendan Rodgers’ or David Moyes’!

We were a basket case when Jose Mourinho took over. The man delivered three trophies in his first season and has addressed most of the weaknesses in the squad. He’s on course for a 2nd place finish and deep runs in the Champions League and FA Cup. If he deserves to be sacked, no manager is safe. Calling for his head in any way, shape, or form is just crazy. Give the man time and we’ll be fine. This is akin to investing; good companies need time.

How anyone can suggest Mauricio Pochettino as a potential replacement for Jose is beyond me. The man has won no trophies! His managerial honours consist of four Manager of the Month Awards. His CV is no different to Brendan Rodgers’ or David Moyes’!

We were a basket case when Jose Mourinho took over. The man delivered three trophies in his first season and has addressed most of the weaknesses in the squad. He’s on course for a 2nd place finish and deep runs in the Champions League and FA Cup. If he deserves to be sacked, no manager is safe. Calling for his head in any way, shape, or form is just crazy. Give the man time and we’ll be fine. This is akin to investing; good companies need time.

Having no trophies has nothing got to do with it. By that logic you would prefer frank rijkaard to manage us over pochettinno.

Also no one is calling for his head, but if we win nothing the season and dont finish in top 4 he should be sacked

partly Pochetino is to blame for the lack of trophies - I think he should consider the League Cup and FA Cup more important than he does.

However, you also have to look at the reality of the situation and see the clubs he has been at are not favourites for the trophies they compete for. That should be part of the consideration.

Also, I believe you should also consider what he has done with the players he has had at his teams, how he has got those teams playing and performing. I think it should be considered what his approach and style could bring to United. If he was at United next season, with Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Pogba - do you think he could get them playing better in attack and scoring more goals?

If the list of managers that United can look to appoint is based on winners medals, it is going to be a short list of candidates.

If United were to sack Jose, I would absolutely be behind Poch.

1. His style of football.
    2. Getting better/best from his players.
    3. Young - time to create a legacy at the club.

As for Mourinho - you say on course to finish second, I say recent results could point to us crashing to 5th or 6th if he can't arrest the recent slump in performances. You say on course to go deep in the CL - given how we have performed vs every big side to date, i'd fear for us against Bayern, City, PSG, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Spurs.

• yabadabado wrote: »

I keep harping back to the Everton game.

Herrera played that game and was probably his best game of a very bad bunch this season. That was in midfield 3.
    And McTominey when he's played has been assured and very good in possession.

The options are there. Jose needs to get the finger out.

As for Mourinho - you say on course to finish second, I say recent results could point to us crashing to 5th or 6th if he can't arrest the recent slump in performances.

Just on that, I disagree in part. Not because we aren't in a slump, but that the other teams we're competing with aren't exactly lighting the world on fire either.

Last 5 league games

Liverpool - 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss - 10 points
    United - 3 wins, 2 losses - 9 points
    Spurs - 3 wins, 2 draws - 9 points
    Chelsea - 2 wins, 1 draws, 2 loss - 7 points
    Arsenal - 2 wins, 3 losses - 6 points

NOW, context also dictates we didn't all play the same teams. Point is that while we're in a slump, it's not that the teams behind us are on fire and winning every single game. Even City have dropped 4 points from 15 in their last five games. It's like all of the top 6 are getting a bit burned out at the moment, and Europe will affect all of them too.

I'd still be optimisticly confident of finishing second. I can't see us hitting an even worse slump. Mind, I know those Chelsea and Liverpool games, with the CL games as well, can possibly make things worse. They are the very definition of 6 pointers...

• Advertisement

Bugger, I misdid Spurs there, who are 11 points, not 9....

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bugger, I misdid Spurs there, who are 11 points, not 9....

Ninja edit is your friend :pac:

It can help avoid zerks moments also unless you are astradave who will nail you as soon as it happens.
    I think he has an alert setup to notify him when someone re-posts news :D

I'll leave my utter inability to add 3+3+3+1+1 up and display my lack of math skill for the world to see :P

It does somewhat nueter my point, but I'll re-phrase anyway; the other teams around us will drop points against silly teams too between now and seasons end. Spurs, in particular, will be fascinating to watch; do they go heavy against Juvi, and burn themselves out? Do they get beat, and suffer emotionally (As Spurs have a habit of doing). How will they handle the bigger games affecting them midweek.

Gas seeing AVB mentioned. I remember I was hugely in the camp of people who wanted AVB to be Fergies replacement. Still am a big fan of his.

Once Chelsea dropped out of the top 4 it all went horrible and the relationship with the board and some of the more experienced players soured. Thought he did ever so well at Spurs during his first season and was unlucky to miss out on the champions league despite setting a record for their total points. Didn't help losing Bale then obviously.

Saw he's currently out of contract after turning down an extension in China, hurt his back competing in a rallying event last month though (I'm not making that up).

Now I'm not suggesting I think he should be next in line for United but would love to see him get back to managing a team in a top league again, then who knows down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As for Mourinho - you say on course to finish second, I say recent results could point to us crashing to 5th or 6th if he can't arrest the recent slump in performances.

Just on that, I disagree in part. Not because we aren't in a slump, but that the other teams we're competing with aren't exactly lighting the world on fire either.

Last 5 league games

Liverpool - 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss - 10 points
    United - 3 wins, 2 losses - 9 points
    Spurs - 3 wins, 2 draws - 9 points
    Chelsea - 2 wins, 1 draws, 2 loss - 7 points
    Arsenal - 2 wins, 3 losses - 6 points

NOW, context also dictates we didn't all play the same teams. Point is that while we're in a slump, it's not that the teams behind us are on fire and winning every single game. Even City have dropped 4 points from 15 in their last five games. It's like all of the top 6 are getting a bit burned out at the moment, and Europe will affect all of them too.

I'd still be optimisticly confident of finishing second. I can't see us hitting an even worse slump. Mind, I know those Chelsea and Liverpool games, with the CL games as well, can possibly make things worse. They are the very definition of 6 pointers...
    The Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal games are must wins, as there will be slip up away from home , so very important to win our home games,
    In comparison Liverpool remaining 6 home games are all against bottom half teams, so its very important to match there points return in the home games, If they draw at old Trafford or win they'd be favourites to finish 2nd,

• Advertisement

Being honest, if we don't finished first I don't care whether it is 2nd, 3rd or 4th - as long as it is a CL place.

It can help avoid zerks moments also unless you are astradave who will nail you as soon as it happens.
    I think he has an alert setup to notify him when someone re-posts news :D

It’s reading the thread and also having a good memory :p

The five teams still being in the CL is going to throw a spanner in the works over the next few weeks I reckon.. will be interesting to watch, City are the only team really that can afford to rest players in the league

Being honest, if we don't finished first I don't care whether it is 2nd, 3rd or 4th - as long as it is a CL place.

How very Arsenal of you Mitch. ;)

If it's not first it has to be ahead of Liverpool.

How very Arsenal of you Mitch. ;)

If it's not first it has to be ahead of Liverpool.

Meh.

If you're not first, you're last. :D

I kinda look at it like:
    Goal Number 1: Win the league.
    Goal Number 2: Qualify for the CL.
    Goal 3: Win Cup.

I don't care if we finish 2nd and Liverpool third. We failed to win the title, we just failed a little less than everyone else. Finishing second is not an achievement in itself.

Now, there does come an argument further down the line with regards to competing for the title - you are gonna have been closer to winning the title if you finish 2nd (in most cases) and that is a measuring stick - but right now I just couldn't really care that much if we finished second or fourth. Missing out on the CL could be long term damaging, coming second instead of fourth isn't going to make a huge difference in any respect, imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement