Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Are we talking about 2000s now? You think football stay the same?

Oh sorry, you only want to discuss last year or?

Didn't he win the league in 2015 with Chelsea?

That type of aggressive good football or another type.

Or do you just want to discuss 2016 onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Its page after page of fawning over a rivals team manager. There was even a post saying oh look at Spurs thats how we should be playing.

Very Moyes like statement of 'We should aim to be Spurs'

Not for me.

Manchester United the most successful team in Premier League history. Its other teams that are trying to emulate us and what we have acheived not the opposite.

ManUtd is all about playing without fear, players expressing themselves on the pitch and young players coming in and play as if they are seasoned players.

You know what? That's what Spurs team did today and reminds me of ManUtd of old. Play without fear and always try to play on front foot.

Obviously they aren't as good as ManUtd but the attitude of the team was same. That's what Manutd team should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The Poch thing hasn't been done for a while I suppose, wait it out till Spurs inevitably run out of steam toward the end of the season, fall away and win nothing I suppose. No point in going back over old ground again.

One thing struck me more than anything else (other than how poor and wasteful Juve were obvs) is how much my dislike of Dele is growing every time I see his stupid head. The latest in a long line of overblown English hype jobs, and a nasty one to boot.

Didn't realise I cared so much.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Robson99 wrote: »
    Jose is doing his best to do the same

I've missed you sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Interesting to see the “great” Pochettino’s Spurs being humiliated in Turin.

Bit quick on the draw there

limnam wrote: »
    Oh sorry, you only want to discuss last year or?

Didn't he win the league in 2015 with Chelsea?

That type of aggressive good football or another type.

Or do you just want to discuss 2016 onwards?

And what happened later? Got sacked for taking the team near relegation zone, finished 6th with ManUtd. Hopefully we won't slide down the table again this season.

And what happened later? Got sacked for taking the team near relegation zone, finished 6th with ManUtd. Hopefully we won't slide down the table again this season.

Sorry, you seem to be dodging the question.

Do you mean that sort of aggressive good football or another type?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Great to watch a game of football with both teams going for it compared to the ****e we are put through week in week out under the past it one

Great to watch a game of football with both teams going for it compared to the ****e we are put through week in week out under the past it one

Interesting that Juve with 11 men behind the ball is going for it.

United playing 3 in the midfield is parking the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The Poch thing hasn't been done for a while I suppose, wait it out till Spurs inevitably run out of steam toward the end of the season, fall away and win nothing I suppose. No point in going back over old ground again.

One thing struck me more than anything else (other than how poor and wasteful Juve were obvs) is how much my dislike of Dele is growing every time I see his stupid head. The latest in a long line of overblown English hype jobs, and a nasty one to boot.

Didn't realise I cared so much.

smaller squad, smaller budget, but you know that already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

A Manchester United supporters thread and what we have is people wanting to be Spurs and others saying how great Man City are..

I'm going back to being a long time lurker ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

fullstop wrote: »
    Bit quick on the draw there

The Phil Brown and David Moyes comparisons topped it for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Interesting that Juve with 11 men behind the ball is going for it.

United playing 3 in the midfield is parking the bus.

Did you watch the game. They could have scored 5 or 6.

You know what? That's what Spurs team did today and reminds me of ManUtd of old. Play without fear and always try to play on front foot.

You missed the 1990 semi final replay against Oldham then.

Did you watch the game. They could have scored 5 or 6.

Yet only had 38% possession at home against spurs.

People would be calling for jose to be sacked.

I think you'll find they were not going for it.

But you knew that all ready

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    A Manchester United supporters thread and what we have is people wanting to be Spurs and others saying how great Man City are..

I'm going back to being a long time lurker ☺

Don't fool yourself. They're no united supporters.

DM_7 wrote: »
    While it only touches on some things you could go further into, I like the way the post talks about something tangible (year on year progression etc) rather than just a style of play.

Jose is very good manager too, I don't want to playdown his career or what he has achieved so far.

I think this argument started because someone took such a narrow view on what makes a manager/coach good.

For me, I will be honest here. I was blinded by results and thought everything is rosy aslong as we get the results.

Then you start analysing some other coaches work and how they improve the foundations which inturn improves performances and results.

When you see Poch's work, one thing that impresses most is his work with players and how he improves them.

When Jose joined Chelsea he was breath of fresh air, he brought some variety to the game and before even Pep, it was Jose's principle that if you have extra midfielder then you dominate games. 4-3-3 became a thing and his 4-3-3 was ridiculously strong. Then the way he worked with Lampard, Drogba, Terry was there for all to see.

Is this Jose the same one? I for one started to lose hope. Reason? We have signed players who are very good, but are we seeing any major improvements? No. There are improvements which would be silly to ignore but is he getting the best out of the team? I don't think so.

Sorry, you seem to be dodging the question.

Do you mean that sort of aggressive good football or another type?

Another type.

so by admiring what a team is doing, it makes you a non united supporter??

Im jealous that we dont play like city who are probably playing the best football on the planet right now

and spurs going to Juventus who havent conceded a home goal in something like 1450 mins and they score 2

sometimes you have to respect what another team does

You missed the 1990 semi final replay against Oldham then.

Not even sure what your point is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bangkok wrote: »
    so by admiring what a team is doing, it makes you a non united supporter??

Im jealous that we dont play like city who are probably playing the best football on the planet right now

and spurs going to Juventus who havent conceded a home goal in something like 1450 mins and they score 2

sometimes you have to respect what another team does

Well said

Another type.

But but you said to look at league/CL winners..

Oh OK I understand, you mean look at the ones that match up with your point.

This is comedy gold.

Saying Spurs aren't afraid to play football means I'm not Manutd supporter.

Juventus who havent conceded a home goal in something like 1450 mins

You say that almost like it's a good thing.

This is comedy gold.

Saying Spurs aren't afraid to play football means I'm not Manutd supporter.

i said city were great tonight, im not a united supporter either

But but you said to look at league/CL winners..

Oh OK I understand, you mean look at the ones that match up with your point.

There are exceptions like how Atletico were exception to the rule.

Next you will be saying we have to hire Ranieri as he won league title more recently than Jose.

It's a great record. Do you even know what you post?

i said city were great tonight, im not a united supporter either

Not sure about that, I don't give a **** about City and usually turn off TV when they are on. The sight of all the praise and **** makes me want to puke.

There are exceptions like how Atletico were exception to the rule.

Next you will be saying we have to hire Ranieri as he won league title more recently than Jose.

I'm not saying anything

you said look to CL winners and PL winners they _all_ play aggressive good football.

But you didn't mean Jose at Inter or porto or chelsea or Rel madrid.

I get it.

what?

its an unbelievable record!! :confused:

• Advertisement

It's a great record. Do you even know what you post?

I do, it's an amazing record.

I just find it odd that not conceding gets praised in Turin. But not in Old Trafford.

It's interesting :)

Not sure about that, I don't give a **** about City and usually turn off TV when they are on. The sight of all the praise and **** makes me want to puke.

i watched spurs game myself, but that was some result for city.

yea its easy not to give a **** about them but then again they will be our direct rivals again next season and its hard to see how we will stop them even next season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

lol, you posted that after 9mins of the game, couldnt wait til near the end.

Look at spurs now, taking the game to Juventus in their own back yard

I Don't regret writing it, I'm happy with Jose still, some frustrating results but still hoping the team click, I've a feeling poch will stay with spurs for a long time, he would be stupid to go to Madrid, I'd say it would take a good bit of time for his style to gel (based off Southampton and Spurs) Madrid fans are very impatient and would want him gone before it would click for him I'd say

Also a fantastic game to watch but aurier is absolutely cabbage

• bangkok wrote: »
    i watched spurs game myself, but that was some result for city.

yea its easy not to give a **** about them but then again they will be our direct rivals again next season and its hard to see how we will stop them even next season

Round and round we go

It really is getting exhausting

what?

its an unbelievable record!! :confused:

I was just surprised you thought so.

As you've no interest in united been defensively sound

Enlightening thread.

I was just surprised you thought so.

As you've no interest in united been defensively sound

Enlightening thread.

where did i say that?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Round and round we go

It really is getting exhausting

what is? being 16 points off the top, playing poor football, having a back 4 of Valencia, Smalling, Jones and Young? in a dog fight for top 4? playing our best player in the wrong position? yep i agree with you, it is exhausting

I'm not saying anything

you said look to CL winners and PL winners they _all_ play aggressive good football.

But you didn't mean Jose at Inter or porto or chelsea or Rel madrid.

I get it.

Did I say only PL winners? Lets see

Check the winners of top 5 leagues and Cl winners, there is one common thing among them. They all play aggressive and good football.

Oh wait, I didn't.

I might be wrong here but I'm sure I have argued Jose at Inter more than you did, we are talking about now, not some 10 years ago (yeah 8 years I know). Every manager will have highs, lows, peaks and decline.

• Mmmmm

AC Milan - 7.
    Bayern Munich - 5.
    Barcelona - 5.
    Liverpool - 5.
    Ajax - 4.
    Internazionale - 3.
    Manchester United - 3.
    Juventus - 2.

Imagine how many times Liverpool would have won it if only they were a big club eh Mick?

Come to think of it, if I was manager of a big club who hadn't won the big prize as often as Ajax I too would be desperately trying to deflect from that fact ;)

5-Times1518555885.gif

Looks like you and fullstop are easily triggered by Jose
    That makes me giggle :)

• Advertisement

I do, it's an amazing record.

I just find it odd that not conceding gets praised in Turin. But not in Old Trafford.

It's interesting :)

Man you are just going everywhere with your tin foil hat.

I have praised ManUtd so many times for not conceding goal at OT from open play, i have praised Manutd defensive record so many times.

Not even sure you even know what you are talking about. Praising 1 team doesn't mean talking trash about ManUtd.

Did I say only PL winners? Lets see

Did I say you did?

Did he only win PL's? or I forgot you want to adjust the years to suit you.

We're now down to 11yr olds, you said i said you said.

You made an irrelevant point.

It was pointed out.

move on.

Nope :)

• bangkok wrote: »
    what is? being 16 points off the top, playing poor football, having a back 4 of Valencia, Smalling, Jones and Young? in a dog fight for top 4? playing our best player in the wrong position? yep i agree with you, it is exhausting
    Honestly

Your constant fawning of city, spurs and Liverpool daily in the man utd superthread

Yea, I do find it exhausting and I'd take a guess that you are enjoying the reactions

I've openly criticized Jose all weekend in this thread in a fair manner btw

• fullstop wrote: »
    Nope :)

Yep :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He'd have more resources but be looking to completly rebuild the team to suit his own philosophy and his own style. At Spurs, he might not be given the same resources, but the team is his, is doing better than ours (in this hypothetical), so thus wouldn't need the same investment.

I just think in the case Spurs finish above us again, he'd as happily stay with the team he's built, rather than starting the process again at a trigger happy club who've had three managers in five years....

"The best time to jump from one ship to another is when your stock is high"

I know the above is utter made up tripe (as an analogy) but I'm sure you get the point.

Pooch is his own business unit, he has to look to what's best for him. There's probably a small handful of teams he'd leave Spurs for and Utd would definitely be one but if he stays too long and starts to lose key players (which will happen if Daniel Levi doesn't loosen the wage structure) then he's looking at building another team and doubling down for at least 2-3 more years with Spurs.

As long as the status quo remains the same everything will be cool but if it becomes obvious that Pooch wants out from Spurs a lot of big clubs will look at how their incumbent is performing and have to make a decision otherwise let the opportunity to recruit Pooch pass them by.

Given Jose has just signed a long term extension I don't think it will be given much bandwidth in the Utd boardroom but a lot will come down to timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

That makes me giggle :)

Glad you saw the humour Mick, I was afraid of a snowflake response!!

Did I say you did?

Did he only win PL's? or I forgot you want to adjust the years to suit you.

We're now down to 11yr olds, you said i said you said.

You made an irrelevant point.

It was pointed out.

move on.

Irrelevant as you can't understand simple as that. If you can't see the difference in how top teams play compared to us, then it's of no use to even discuss. Anyways you have Jose's CV to sleep well.

Yep :)

It's cute that you think that because I thanked a post making **** of yours :)

• Glad you saw the humour Mick, I was afraid of a snowflake response!!

Oddly I'm starting to like you as a poster
    Niallo is my #1 through

Man you are just going everywhere with your tin foil hat.

I have praised ManUtd so many times for not conceding goal at OT from open play, i have praised Manutd defensive record so many times.

Not even sure you even know what you are talking about. Praising 1 team doesn't mean talking trash about ManUtd.

Just an FYI. Every point I make may not be about every post you have or not have made on the forum.

In general, (that means not specifically you). There's a tenancy to whine and complain about been defensive.

You may have came across "Jose is a defensive coach" post. This is usually aimed negatively at Jose.

Yet praise put upon a team who haven't conceded in x.

Like the poster who felt Juve were "going at it" with 38% possession against spurs at home in latter stages of the CL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement