Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The problem Jose has, is he is a safety first manager, Also this isn't Juve and Seria A where the opposition are a lot weaker,
    If he play in his desired role left of the midfielder 3 and roams about and Sanchez plays left wing there's trouble , Alexis works really hard but he isn't disciplined he more so chases the ball ,Mangers would straight away look to nick the ball and straight away attack the left side, Young would be left alone a lot ,
    Matic can't cover for both Pogba and Alexis on that side so this is the problem  , a lot of the time Juve went 3 5 2, so the wing back on the left and extra CB would move left and help cover that part of the pitch , Jose isn't keen cause the opposition in England are fair better than Italy ,

I miss the days when we weren't afraid of anyone. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pogba works best with two others beside him in midfield, this doesn't excuse some of his non performances either though tbf.

I don't know why Jose is so reluctant to play more to his strengths, I believe the reason you go after a guy like Pogba and invest so much in him is because you recognise his strengths and how you can set the team up around him to get the maximum benefit of that.

352 is something I thought we would see more of this season also though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I miss the days when we weren't afraid of anyone. :(

They were fun but we were more successful in Europe especially by being more cynical and pragmatic under Fergie.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Pogba works best with two others beside him in midfield, this doesn't excuse some of his non performances either though tbf.

I don't know why Jose is so reluctant to play more to his strengths, I believe the reason you go after a guy like Pogba and invest so much in him is because you recognise his strengths and how you can set the team up around him to get the maximum benefit of that.

I come in peace etc... but I have to say it's criminal the way Pogba is being managed at present. I'd love to see him fail as much as anyone but when he is given freedom to roam and go where he wants, even I enjoy watching him play. He is a brilliant talent, to be trying to convert him into Mikel so misses the point.

Anyway, rant over. Hope you lose to Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They were fun but we were more successful in Europe especially by being more cynical and pragmatic under Fergie.

Plus we had some cnuts in the team who could fight and play ball. For all the talk of having these giants in our squad they all seem to be a bunch of pussies and are too nice. Look at the Newcastle game,Jon Joe Fooking Shelvey bullying them and bring let do it. When we went 1 down,that was it,an acceptance of what was going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Backed himself in a corner really. Let go of Schneiderlan and Schweinsteiger as surplus to requirements, so just probably feels he doesn't have the bodies or personal to use a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2. He does, he just probably doesn't feel it.

4-2-3-1 is his comfort system for years now, so he likely isn't going to change from it. Which is a pity. He's an inventive and clever coach, hopefully he remembers that. He brought 4-2-3-1 into fashion and had everyone finally asking questions about 4-4-2 when he rocked his Chelsea MKI 4-3-3, that was actually 4-2-3-1 at times too.

He's been wasteful in terms of squad use no doubt. Blind is criminally underused and valued in my opinion, as was Schneiderlan last year. He hasn't pulled up roots this season with Everton, and he wasn't fantastic under Van Gaal, but playing box to box in a 3 like he did at Southampton could have provided us options, and even unlocked the player we thought we signed.

Problem with modern football. Coaches being too secretive, clubs PR teams all over any press release or conference, managing the message. Coaches being too prickly and trying to be clever.

You'd love in a conference for him to try explain what his thought process is. You'd love for him to be asked then explain why he won't entertain a different formation.

he is still one of the most mysterious coaches out there. To find out what hes like or wants or sees, its all second hand information. He's not doing anything spectacular or creative, it just looks a mess and disjointed more often then not.

As a fan, and a lover of the details of the game, its so frustrating how secretive and restricted managers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

His 433 that he used with Chelsea is what you'd expect him to use. United don't really have an effective no.10 (Mata is decent but you have to tailor the whole system to him). You've got 2 good inside forwards in Sanchez and Martial. Herrera s probably a bit of a weak link currently though on the right of the midfield 3. You'd prob have Pogba in the Lampard role with late bursts into the box, but also transitioning from defence to the attack

He hasn't used that formation in a long time, whether he feels its not tactically viable anymore is another thing. It was a perfect foil for 4-2-2 but teams don't really utilise that anymore. He hasn't used that formation since he managed Inter though. His second spell at Chelsea could almost be considered a different variation of the 433 because Oscar was the 10 but he was very much a midfielder instead of a forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lukker- wrote: »
    His 433 that he used with Chelsea is what you'd expect him to use. United don't really have an effective no.10 (Mata is decent but you have to tailor the whole system to him). You've got 2 good inside forwards in Sanchez and Martial. Herrera s probably a bit of a weak link currently though on the right of the midfield 3. You'd prob have Pogba in the Lampard role with late bursts into the box, but also transitioning from defence to the attack

He hasn't used that formation in a long time, whether he feels its not tactically viable anymore is another thing. It was a perfect foil for 4-2-2 but teams don't really utilise that anymore. He hasn't used that formation since he managed Inter though. His second spell at Chelsea could almost be considered a different variation of the 433 because Oscar was the 10 but he was very much a midfielder instead of a forward.

Thats because they be two players short :)

Plus we had some cnuts in the team who could fight and play ball. For all the talk of having these giants in our squad they all seem to be a bunch of pussies and are too nice. Look at the Newcastle game,Jon Joe Fooking Shelvey bullying them and bring let do it. When we went 1 down,that was it,an acceptance of what was going to happen.

Yeah the lack of fight in this squad is shocking. A real dearth of leadership in the mould of a Keane, a Viera, hell a feckin Terry would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Are there 3 fit defenders that can reliably play in a 3 man defence, Valencia is invaluable on the wing so if he was part of one that really leaves it as a 2 man defence. 4-5-1 is our best option with players like Shaw, Valencia and Young being able to nip up and down the wing and Alexis Lingard and Mata being attack focused but also supporting Pogba Matic and Ander in the centre, Rashford needs to be rotating with Martial with either of them supporting Lukaku.

If Lukaku doesn't start to score soon he must be dropped which isn't really in the rulebook but it is what it is. If the FA cup and Champions League games go to hell we could be left with nothing but 2nd place to play for and seeing as we play Sunday week as already stated we could be 3rd by then, the formation and positioning of players hasn't gone to plan but we have a really good squad even with the injuries and performance issues of some players it can be turned around hopefully starting this weekend in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We played 433 against Everton at the beginning of the year and put in one of our best away performances of the season. Pogba started on the left of a midfield 3 with Matic and Herrera and played pretty well. He provided the assist for Martial who also did well playing up front. Shaw started at left back too. Having Martial up top probably forced the players to be a bit more creative as we didn't just lump balls up to him the whole time. It was a professional performance and one in which we largely kept Everton at arms length. I was hoping that we'd see more of that lineup in the following weeks but we seemed to just revert back to the 4231.

• We played 433 against Everton at the beginning of the year and put in one of our best away performances of the season. Pogba started on the left of a midfield 3 with Matic and Herrera and played pretty well. He provided the assist for Martial who also did well playing up front. Shaw started at left back too. Having Martial up top probably forced the players to be a bit more creative as we didn't just lump balls up to him the whole time. It was a professional performance and one in which we largely kept Everton at arms length. I was hoping that we'd see more of that lineup in the following weeks but we seemed to just revert back to the 4231.

I agree. I've said this a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I come in peace etc ...

Anyway, rant over. Hope you lose to Sevilla.

Come in peace, contribute, cool.

No need for the childish crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

VW 1 wrote: »

Sorry dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I agree. I've said this a couple of times.

I've noticed, I've been meaning to pick up on it too but got distracted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

htCSAjX.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    htCSAjX.png

I’ve know idea who or what I’m looking at... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »

Think he's playing at Longitude this year

• I've noticed, I've been meaning to pick up on it too but got distracted.
    ?

htCSAjX.png

It's pogba obviously :):)

• Advertisement

• Late to the party, or Zerking it as us cool kids say these days

Not much change in the running order as always

Boards Matchmaking!beta
    now ye're lovin'
    Username Compatibility
    astradave 10
    adox 8
    Whatsisname 6
    beno619 5
    jayo26 5
    MicksJaguar 5
    Lord TSC 4
    Cookie_Dough 4
    Stu Redman 3
    Pro. F 3
    Business Cat 2

Mars would usually be in there, as well as SlickRic and Gav

I am disapoint

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It is a real Mysterio alright.

VW 1 wrote: »

Not much wrong with what he said tbf, I would be surprised if he wished us well in the game v Sevilla for instance.

I am disapoint

I was somewhat surprised alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is a real Mysterio alright.

Peter Andre?

Not much wrong with what he said tbf, I would be surprised if he wished us well in the game v Sevilla for instance.

I’m sure we all wished Porto would have won last night.. at least he was honest

Hernandez back for a little tour round his old stomping ground surely?

htCSAjX.png

LordTSC was over in Manchester and did the stadium tour?

He's a wrestling fan so no doubt has a vast collection of classic Mexican masks. He put one on to remain anonymous after the shít The Doc got when he posted an uncensored photo of his face here in the thread.
    /case closed.

That one socket switch in the 'on' position is wrecking my head.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I got a yellow for this last night. I mean if this is a yellow then we might as will give up. The ball is burst let's all **** off home. Were people really offended by this.

Dya actually think anyone in this thread cares that you got a card Niallo :pac:

In fairness if you don’t think it’s a card, dispute it instead of moaning about it. Most of the mod’s are decent enough that they will treat you properly and fairly if you engage with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

But that match was on Irish tv so......

I dont think everyone that is on boards lives in ireland....

• Advertisement

Ya I suppose there is no point in moaning. I just thought it was a bit harsh myself.

Will we throw you in the middle of a bunch of United jersey wearing guys and girls and give ya a big fat group hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jayo26 wrote: »
    Will we throw you in the middle of a bunch of United jersey wearing guys and girls and give ya a big fat group hug.

Is it something you think you could arrange.

For you? Any day of the week... we might even get Brinty to drag the girls along :D

Yeah for sure mate were all the one at the end of the day.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    I got a yellow for this last night. I mean if this is a yellow then we might as will give up. The ball is burst let's all **** off home. Were people really offended by this.

If I had of said something like that in the Liverpool thread I would have gotten a red :P

Look lad, your best bet is discussing it off thread with the mod. I really don't know what posters are trying to achieve by doing it in thread

Your still my #1 pool fan btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If I had of said something like that in the Liverpool thread I would have gotten a red :P

Look lad, your best bet is discussing it off thread with the mod. I really don't know what posters are trying to achieve by doing it in thread

Ya your probably right Mick.

That's like picking to have one leg cut off instead if two :):)

Not offended at all Niallo. I actually thought it was gas the amount of ye who flocked in here on the 'look what we did!' train :pac:

On a separate note to Niallo but related to rival teams...

I don't mind seeing English teams advancing into the later stages of the CL, for 2 reasons.

1) Been following it for 30 years now, may as well not have a problem admitting that I am a big fan of England's top league.

No I wasn't sitting at home cheering on Liverpool last night with Gerry and the Pacemakers spinning in the background, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't hurt seeing English teams perform well on that stage. It is good for the perception and reputation of the Premier League.

2) It gives our league rivals extra games to play later into the season. Some of them might have the squad depth and quality to cope, some of them might not. Chelsea would fall into the former for me, Liverpool into the later.

So, overall I don't mind seeing our English rivals do well in the CL. Just...not too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    For you? Any day of the week... we might even get Brinty to drag the girls along

Not a chance
    My girls are true united
    Liverpool need not apply

Not offence Niallo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I don't expect any pool fan would want us to win, same way I wanted a porto win last night.

But I don't waltz into the pool thread, make a legitimate contribution and then add in a childish hope you lose, as if to justifymy being there.

Im not offended, and have no issue with other teams supporters giving views obviously, I just don't get the need for the extra sentence.

I think he was just trying to make a little joke, that's all. Like, if it was a wind up attempt it would have been a poorer than usual one so what would be the point? I don't think it was meant to needle anybody or anything like that. I just don't think that was the intent. Now maybe I am wrong, but that is how I saw it anyway.

Id share the same opinion as Stu (I think) I would like to see the English teams do well in the CL in general, particularly Liverpool and Spurs, more games more distractions the better. Losing semi finalists would do nicely. Hope City go out at the earliest opportunity of course, league is over so just want them crushed anywhere possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Is he really one of the best attacking midfielder's in the world I find that hard to believe, Attacking midfielders score goals his more in a league is 8 and that was in a Juve side that walked Seria A ,
    Look at the other top 6 side attacking midfielders and Pogba doesn't come close, Silva , KDB, Eirkson , Ali , Ozil , Hazard, Couthino (when he was at Liverpool they don't have one now)
    He's a world class footballer but certainly isn't one of the best Attacking midfielders in the world , He wouldn't replace any of the above in the attacking midfield position ,
    He's more of a roaming midfielder than an attacking one,

This is again simply classifying midfielders as either AMs or CMs. There are more to it, Iniesta is a CM with not much defensive role and he doesn't score or assist many goals but he provides platform for others to thrive, Pogba is that sort of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Man United facebook page just uploaded 3 Ibrahimovic photo's, with no context or caption.

I wonder if we are going to get an announcement today that Ibrahimovic is off (to LA?) - and these uploads were meant for later, after an announcment.

Or its just that he is back in the squad for the game tomorrow.

Or they just like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

The Man United facebook page just uploaded 3 Ibrahimovic photo's, with no context or caption.

I wonder if we are going to get an announcement today that Ibrahimovic is off (to LA?) - and these uploads were meant for later, after an announcment.

Or its just that he is back in the squad for the game tomorrow.

Or they just like him.

Its about his hattrick against St. Etienne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lukekul wrote: »
    Its about his hattrick against St. Etienne

Was that this day a year ago?

I knew it they were EL pics, but without any context on the post I have read too much into it (given recent speculation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya this day 1 year ago.

Although 2008 is only about 4 to 5 years ago in my head

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ya this day 1 year ago.

Although 2008 is only about 4 to 5 years ago in my head

Yeah, sure 99 is only about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

LordTSC was over in Manchester and did the stadium tour?

He's a wrestling fan so no doubt has a vast collection of classic Mexican masks. He put one on to remain anonymous after the shít The Doc got when he posted an uncensored photo of his face here in the thread.
    /case closed.

That one socket switch in the 'on' position is wrecking my head.

Did I get ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This Mourinho - Pogba feud is not going to be good in short term or long term. Pogba was a massive investment for Man Utd, for the long term. Mourinho is not what you would call a long term manager. If this continues one will have to go.

Even just looking, in the last couple of seasons, Mourinho has started a war with a number of people. He certainly creates the bubble of 'us vs the world'.

Am I leaving anyone out?

Chelsea doctor
    Roy Keane
    the fake Ranieri friend stuff
    Class of 92 - Scholes, Giggs etc
    Pundits in general
    Conte
    Pep
    the whole other teams are spending nonsense
    Pogba

It's not healthy to be continually at war with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There is a Mourinho - Pogba feud?

:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement