Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is a Mourinho - Pogba feud?

:confused:

The perception will be there is.

I mentioned it recently, and fair enough people shot me down. But the point still stands. As much as people will debunk the importance of a story or narrative "taking hold" the fact is it becomes the focus, it shapes the perspective and it becomes something that the manager and player, and club need to deal with.

Obviously the manager has every right to drop or sub Pogba as he sees fit, but its now going to be the background context for every interaction and decision that takes place between the two. Already through the weekly pods people feeling confident enough to proclaim "one of the two won't be there next season" which is mental.

I do think it's been blown out of proportion, but look how quickly it escalates.Well connected Lequipe murmuring Pogba regrets coming, doesn't believe the manager will build success at United nor bring him to the level he believes he should and that how he always harboured ambitions in Madrid.

Duncan Castles straight out the gate with a rebuff, and we all know where his stuff comes from.

Just think its something that could have been avoided entirely and managed better, as we take back up our Champions League campaign. Few good Pogba performances and all will likely be forgotten by us, but I'd imagine this is going to be a thing doing the rounds for some time, especially if the team continues in this vain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did I have a post deleted or did I imagine posting last night?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Did I have a post deleted or did I imagine posting last night?

You had mod intervention on a post you made at 1am

Last edited by MrMac84; Today at 08:08. Reason: Keep mod talk of thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is a Mourinho - Pogba feud?

:confused:

From what I can see, there is sniping from both sides using their respective mouthpieces.

A lot comes down to Mourinho playing Pogba in a 2 man midfield and he thinks this is not getting the best out of him. Mourinho thinks he should have the attributes to do it.

Mourinho won't be able to play a 3 man midfield now in a big game as it will appear that he is backing down, and giving into Pogba's demands. Nothing something Mourinho would like to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You can put your house on it that if there was a Jose v Pogba “feud”.. good aul Paul wouldn’t even be near the first team.. Jose would rather cut off his nose to spite his face..

Look at Madrid and Casillas, he doesn’t give a shîte who that player is and that’s why I believe there is nothing in this..

Pogba has stinker vs Spurs- subbed off
    Dropped to bench for Huddersfield game
    Pogba has stinker vs Newcastle-subbed off

Pogba apparently asks Jose to tweak formation to allow him more freedom..

Where the fook is this feud? This is the first time the word feud has been used, and it’s coming from a pool fan :D gas craic altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 of today's papers going with 2 Pogba stories.
    The S*n going with "Madrid to bid £120 million for Pogba"

The Telegraph saying that "Pogba patching up his differences with Jose".

2 of today's papers going with 2 Pogba stories.
    The S*n going with "Madrid to bid £120 million for Pogba"

The Telegraph saying that "Pogba patching up his differences with Jose".

I know which one I would believe, but let’s see which the ABU’s plaster everywhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pogba to score 3 tomorrow now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Pogba to score 3 tomorrow now!

And then himself and Jose take off running down the pitch Dabbing their hearts out in a show of bromance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    You can put your house on it that if there was a Jose v Pogba “feud”.. good aul Paul wouldn’t even be near the first team.. Jose would rather cut off his nose to spite his face..

Look at Madrid and Casillas, he doesn’t give a shîte who that player is and that’s why I believe there is nothing in this..

Pogba has stinker vs Spurs- subbed off
    Dropped to bench for Huddersfield game
    Pogba has stinker vs Newcastle-subbed off

Pogba apparently asks Jose to tweak formation to allow him more freedom..

Where the fook is this feud? This is the first time the word feud has been used, and it’s coming from a pool fan :D gas craic altogether

no smoke without fire, as someone said the other day when jose mentioned pogbas family and agent, he did it with reason. hopefully it gets sorted soon and jose plays pogba in his best position

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    no smoke without fire, as someone said the other day when jose mentioned pogbas family and agent, he did it with reason. hopefully it gets sorted soon and jose plays pogba in his best position

Except when there is smoke without fire, funnily enough so often these instances occur in the media at times you would think too obvious to fool people but there ya go.

They gave it a blast this morning on SSN, tried to get Ray Wilkins to give his expert opinion on it, even Ray couldn't create a narrative where Pogba and Jose have fallen out, just isn't plausible. They asked him about the Madrid rumours, no chance says Ray, poor Ray didn't get the memo at all.

His take that Paul is just going through a bad patch, which happens to all players and particularly Joses that the media have lots of opinions, and confusion but between him and Paul there is none and no problems should of course be enough to quash it but in all fairness, which is gonna generate more interest?

Nothing to see here or woah wait a minute could there be something??!?!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

bangkok wrote: »

There were so many times when players rubbished stories in twitters. When it comes to gutter journalists, there is always a smoke without fire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't see any feud. Just Jose wanting more from Pogba for the team and Pogba maybe focused more on what he likes doing on the pitch.

One look at the chap and it is obvious he is a committed athlete. Ambitious to be the best. No surprise with how he left and how he returned to United, that as well as his own mind, he has a lot of strong influences in his life.

Up to now Pogba was publicly protected and backed by Mourinho when press or pundits had a go at him. Even after he had to take him off v Spurs he was careful in what he said.

So as we sit ahead of our next game. Huddersfield away.

a) "I'm looking forward to a comfortable win and some good football"
    b) "I'm looking forward to a tight match, it won't be easy"
    c) "Ugh, not thrilled to see us grind a laboured win away from home"
    d) "Actually dreading it, bang of being knocked out here"

Been in the C) category for a while now. I look forward to every game, but not really excited. Huddersfield away absolutely smacks of "I'm going to be stressed and frustrated watching it, and annoy people on boards afterwards" :D

Pretty comfortable win and some good football is my overriding view on it.Huddersfield will hardly be playing a full strength team and have more important things to worry about then the cup.

If Huddersfield do put out the full team and have a go I see it as a pretty comfortable win but not as much pretty football as our lads will be getting lumps kicked out of them for 90 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    This Mourinho - Pogba feud is not going to be good in short term or long term. Pogba was a massive investment for Man Utd, for the long term. Mourinho is not what you would call a long term manager. If this continues one will have to go.

Even just looking, in the last couple of seasons, Mourinho has started a war with a number of people. He certainly creates the bubble of 'us vs the world'.

Am I leaving anyone out?

Chelsea doctor
    Roy Keane
    the fake Ranieri friend stuff
    Class of 92 - Scholes, Giggs etc
    Pundits in general
    Conte
    Pep
    the whole other teams are spending nonsense
    Pogba

It's not healthy to be continually at war with someone.

Wenger?

I would also be perfectly fine with a pragmatic, do as little as needed win as long as its comfortable and controlled. Important games coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Is Jayop gone lads? Haven't seen him on here in about two weeks following some issues he'd had on Liverpool forum. Hopefully it's just a temporary break

duffman13 wrote: »
    Is Jayop gone lads? Haven't seen him on here in about two weeks following some issues he'd had on Liverpool forum. Hopefully it's just a temporary break

On a 6month Vacation, should be back for the new season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

duffman13 wrote: »

Just imagine a p at the end of Jayo name for a while and it'll be like he never left ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The only faintly interesting thing I've found about this so called "Jose-Pogba" scandal is that I've heard a couple of journalists say that the L'Equipe story about Pogba requesting to play a specific role actually came from a source which is quite close to Mourinho and so they were working on the assumption that he would've been at least notified it was there but didn't attempt to quash it.

The interesting part then being of course if you consider that in the context of his "agent and family" comment you start to wonder is he trying to pressure Pogba and Pogba isn't really up to anything at all other than playing badly.

Anyway, I still say the reason we're not playing a midfield 3 is primarily to do with we don't have a single CM at the club who is in good form at the minute nevermind three. I realise stuff like this always comes in swings and roundabouts but a second half 45 minute performance against a poor Everton side is holding an awful lot more weight than it should right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Delighted with Mourinho's press conference just there. Literally cannot be any clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

On a 6month Vacation, should be back for the new season :)

Closed his account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Delighted with Mourinho's press conference just there. Literally cannot be any clearer.

What did he say?

• Advertisement

http://www.football365.com/news/mourinho-blasts-pogba-speculation-as-a-lot-of-lies

“I think you are nice with your words because when you say a lot of speculation you should say a lot of lies because I accept and can speak on Paul’s behalf without any kind of problem,” he said.

“Paul accepts he has not been playing well but that’s all and if you want to speak about it that’s one thing and speculation your words makes a little bit of sense but the majority of things you can read and listen, don’t be polite, be objective and say lies.

“I don’t have to speak with you about my conversations with my players. It is my problem, the player’s problem.

“It is a big lie that our relationship is not good, that we don’t communicate, that we don’t agree with his positions and his involvement in the dynamic of the team so be objective and say what we all know.

“In the last couple of matches he didn’t play well, period, end of story. Now it’s my problem and Paul’s to improve his performance level, you don’t need to be a liar.”

His attack on the pundits in England was funny too, the state of them when they get called out on stuff.

Worth a watch for the full thing is anybody is interested.

What did he say?

I'll throw up a full transcript when I see it. DM has put up the first few lines

“The position is quite ridiculous to speak about,” he said. “I think we have, I don’t want to be – what’s the opposite of nice – I don’t want to be nasty with other country’s punditry industry but we have here the biggest punditry industry because there are hundreds of them with great background and knowledge in football.

“I would like somebody to tell me which position you think Pogba played in against Newcastle. Anyone of you want to tell me?

“Okay midfield, but we played with one number six and numbers eights, or two six and one 10. We play with one six and two eights, we play with Matic as a six, Lingard on the right side of Matic and Pogba on the left side.

“You know which is the Pogba preferred system? 4-3-3? Do you know Pogba’s favourite position in 433? Eight on the left.

“So it’s easy and honest and objective to say Paul didn’t play well against Newcastle but some of the guys are paid millions, don’t let people read things that are not true, you are paid to read the game and explain the game, don’t say bullsh*t.

“He had a big injury in the season, big injury, he had a big injury, he almost went to surgery like Dembele in Barcelona with a similar injury, the decision was not to do it and go to a conservative treatment, everyone really happy.

“He was playing phenomenal after that and before that, he had a red card against Arsenal probably in his best match and the team’s best moment, he was out for a long long time and in this moment he is not playing well, period, and the team needs him at a good level, when he is not a good level the team is not as good.

“It happens with every team when the most crucial players are not performing. You don’t need to come with we want to sell him, you don’t need that, some people go in that direction, some of them I know for many many years and I know their surname is Liar, and that’s not nice. He plays tomorrow.”

http://www.football365.com/news/mourinho-launches-into-tirade-against-bullsht-pundits

Some stuff I have seen printed, watch the video when it pops up in full as its better to hear things I feel
    I think you are nice with your words because when you say a lot of speculation you should say a lot of lies because I accept and can speak on Paul’s behalf without any kind of problem.

Paul accepts he has not been playing well but that’s all and if you want to speak about it that’s one thing and speculation your words makes a little bit of sense but the majority of things you can read and listen, don’t be polite, be objective and say lies.”

I don’t have to speak with you about my conversations with my players, is my problem, the player’s problem, a big lie that our relation is not good, that we don’t communicate, that we don’t agree with his positions and his involvement in the dynamic of the team so be objective and say what we all know.

“In the last couple of matches he didn’t play well period, end of story, now it’s my problem and Paul’s to improve his performance level, you don’t need to be a liar.”
    “The position is quite ridiculous to speak about it because I think we have I don’t want to be - what’s the opposition of nice - I don’t want to be nasty with other countries punditry industry but we have here a number here the biggest pundit industry because there are hundreds of them with great background and knowledge in football and I would like somebody to tell me which position you think Pogba played in against Newcastle.

“Any one of you want to tell me.

“Okay midfield, but we played with one number six and numbers eights, or two six and one 10, we play with one six and two eights, we play with Matic as a six, Lingard on the right side of Matic and Pogba on the left side, you know which is the Pogba preferred system? 433? “Do you know Pogba’s favourite position in 433?

“Eight on the left, so it’s easy and honest and objective to say Paul didn’t play well against Newcastle but some of the guys are paid millions, don’t let people read things that are not true, you are paid to read the game and explain the game, don’t say bull****.”
    He had a big injury in the season, big injury, he had a big injury, he almost went to surgery like Dembele in Barcelona with a similar injury, the decision was not to do it and go to a conservative treatment, everyone really happy, he was playing phenomenal after that and before that, he had a red card against Arsenal probably in his best match and the team’s best moment, he was out for a long long time and in this moment he is not playing well, period, and the team needs him at a good level, when he is not a good level the team is not as good.

“It happens with every team when the most crucial players are not performing. You don’t need to come with we want to sell him, you don’t need that, some people go in that direction, some of them I know for many many years and I know their surname is Liar, and that’s not nice. He plays tomorrow.”

• Advertisement

I'd expect a strong team tomorrow going by this
    “We want to go to the quarter-finals so we go with a serious approach,” Mourinho told MUTV.

“I have more Premier Leagues and League Cups so, of course, I’d like more [FA Cups] but I’m not thinking about myself. I’m thinking about the club and the fans.”

Great all round from Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Boo, they censored "bullshít."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

If i can just channel Terry Venables for a minute I think when baile and rojo are fit again - them at centre back and smalling at right back. Shaw LB. Young, Matic, Valencia in a three in front of them. Sanchez and his friend Pogba playing behind Lingard at 9. Give Shaw licence to attack plenty and often, going to three at the back when he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    If i can just channel Terry Venables for a minute I think when baile and rojo are fit again - them at centre back and smalling at right back. Shaw LB. Young, Matic, Valencia in a three in front of them. Sanchez and his friend Pogba playing behind Lingard at 9. Give Shaw licence to attack plenty and often, going to three at the back when he does.

WT ACTUAL F?

You alright there Pep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Win the league with that on football manager did ya? :):)

I think it's a great idea but I'd put Phil Jones in there instead of Jesse.

“Okay midfield, but we played with one number six and numbers eights, or two six and one 10, we play with one six and two eights, we play with Matic as a six, Lingard on the right side of Matic and Pogba on the left side, you know which is the Pogba preferred system? 433? “Do you know Pogba’s favourite position in 433?

“Eight on the left, so it’s easy and honest and objective to say Paul didn’t play well against Newcastle

Like that part. Finally a bit of insight into whats going on or supposed to be happening.

Liked that press conference. Dealt with it head on, protected the player but also just laid bare hes playing poor at present.

I'd like more of that. Whatever about wanting journalists to be more tactical and football based in their questions as opposed drama, I love and like when a manager is more showing like this. Whatever about my thoughts about how his 4-3-3 looks, atleast it's the manager explaining.

Newcastle was no resemblance of a 4-3-3 what so ever in midfield. And I didn't recall any camera angles showing the manager unhappy or re-organising. At the same time if that is what he set out, it does put focus on Lingaard and Pogba who were all over the place if they were meant to be playing as 8's.

WT ACTUAL F?

I got the Christmas Tree formation ref, but this is a joke right ?

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Like that part. Finally a bit of insight into whats going on or supposed to be happening.

Liked that press conference. Dealt with it head on, protected the player but also just laid bare hes playing poor at present.

I'd like more of that. Whatever about wanting journalists to be more tactical and football based in their questions as opposed drama, I love and like when a manager is more showing like this. Whatever about my thoughts about how his 4-3-3 looks, atleast it's the manager explaining.

Newcastle was no resemblance of a 4-3-3 what so ever in midfield. And I didn't recall any camera angles showing the manager unhappy or re-organising. At the same time if that is what he set out, it does put focus on Lingaard and Pogba who were all over the place if they were meant to be playing as 8's.

There was numerous times that you could see that Pogba was on the left and Lingard on the right with Matic at the base.. I even said it while the match was on I think..

Pogba was so poor though it was like it was just Young covering the left back and tucking in to try cover Pogba too.. Pogba wasn’t even showing for the ball from Young much which meant Young was just playing it long time and time again when he had it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think Jesse was as much a problem as pogba against Newcastle but it was clearly set up for matic to sit deep in midfield and the other two to be more advanced the problem is neither one if them put in a shift when it came to running. Pogba strolled around to the extent that some are still undecided if he was actually injured or not and Jesse ran but didn't do anything of note that create anything.

Looking at our midfield compared to others it is just static there doesn't ever seem to be enough quick one touch passing to catch teams off guard if we do score on a counter it's mostly from a long pass in behind defence and someone running onto it.

When teams sit back against us we still struggle to break them down or draw them out other teams can play quick one two passing around them to get them to chase the ball and open spaces in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

jayo26 wrote: »

I think it's a great idea but I'd put Phil Jones in there instead of Jesse.

Whst are you talking about Joans my goalie

There was numerous times that you could see that Pogba was on the left and Lingard on the right with Matic at the base.. I even said it while the match was on I think..

Pogba was so poor though it was like it was just Young covering the left back and tucking in to try cover Pogba too.. Pogba wasn’t even showing for the ball from Young much which meant Young was just playing it long time and time again when he had it..

Yeah, like it was a poor performance and Pogba I'm convinced was injured, but he was popping in deep getting the ball, out on the right. Lingaard was central loads. It looked all over the gaf.

At the same time, maybe Mourinho's 4-3-3 is much more fluid or something (I'm being generous) but I feel there is a very clear flow and expectation from when you are watching a 4-3-3 formattion.

Anyway, if he says thats what it was, and if its what hes doing, happy to give time to see how it works out.

Would appreciate in a pre-matcher if maybe the interviewer asks for a confirmation on the formation, as every channel just defacto shows us 4-2-3-1

Also all this talk of jayop, shot into my private messages

It's jayo26 I'm thinking about.

I just see jayo26 post

*Wipes brow*

:D;)

Whst are you talking about Joans my goalie

wcrIOGeU0EEe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yep. Midfield was just all over the place, plain and simple. Were numerous times Jesse and Pogba were getting in each others way and trying to play in the same spaces.

After Jose's press conference now it just looks like they're both total idiots that confused playing a similar role with playing the exact same position :pac:
    Yeah, like it was a poor performance and Pogba I'm convinced was injured, but he was popping in deep getting the ball, out on the right. Lingaard was central loads. It looked all over the gaf.

At the same time, maybe Mourinho's 4-3-3 is much more fluid or something (I'm being generous) but I feel there is a very clear flow and expectation from when you are watching a 4-3-3 formattion.

Anyway, if he says thats what it was, and if its what hes doing, happy to give time to see how it works out.

Would appreciate in a pre-matcher if maybe the interviewer asks for a confirmation on the formation, as every channel just defacto shows us 4-2-3-1

Most managers pre-match are just as likely to scoff at a reporter asking them that and tell them they should be able to figure it out as they are to tell them tbh. It's only recently they're asked to give pre-match interviews so will be a while before they'll feel compelled to outline their shape, even in broad strokes.

Related to that though, afaik when the team lineups are handed out to the journalists in the press area some teams have them printed along with a formation. Unfortunately though I think this may also just be a club press officer's best guess as well as there's been instances where they've been way off compared to what actually starts a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Cringe.

yep it is embarrassing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement