Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hopefully this means we can have a calm thread for a while.
    Good win and cup run still going. VAR will be main talking point.

I don't mind it but currently we are seeing so many mistakes and they need more clarification with how to use it. Thought it was laughable BT coming out with how it would have prevented the hand of god as some way to diminish the opinions of "naysayers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

jayo26 wrote: »
    Anyone see Bangkok since lukaku got the Second?

He was the one that sent me that photo

Crinklewood on the good stuff today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

DWQsLLtW0AAjWJb.jpg:large
    DWQqMBpXUAA1lDx.jpg

Sanchez :D

hahaha that's brilliant!

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pic

The precise moment when Mata punched a fan in the solar plexus to send him flying back to the stands.

#JonnyKills

If Mata was a joyrider from Belfast, he would not have been offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Man United v Brighton in the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Agent Michael Owen well done lad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Brighton at home. Get in!

• Advertisement

Surprise, all four big teams avoid each other.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Surprise, all four big teams avoid each other.

Let's hope that we're not one of the shock exits. No slip ups now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Was important we got a home draw,with how there's no more QF replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What in the hell is VAR. Drunken wobbly lines everywhere :pac:

DWQdQCeW0AAlyeH?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

From Mata's Facebook page.

Your face when you meet Mr. VAR for the first time in your career ��

28056356_1993341990682307_5410512617937299883_n.jpg?oh=055366bdee6ddb824be6c4bcd6fe6f76&oe=5B07BAE5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That chant, I laughed. Rigoletto's 'La Donna obile'. It's so simple, but so perfect.

Dump a diddly do, dump a diddly do, dump a diddly doodely doodely do :)

Rigoletto is the opera, Verdi is the composer :) a lot of football chants have roots in opera and classical music. A lot of heavy metal tunes do too...

The precise moment when Mata punched a fan in the solar plexus to send him flying back to the stands.

#JonnyKills

I'm presuming that's his dad, the youngfella is the image of him!

I was going to say what sort of parent would invade the pitch with his kid, but at least he didn't Everton-style step forward and punch a player while carrying a baby in his arms :eek:

Scrap the cap!

Brighton next up please.

How shall we follow you, oh lord?

Scrap the cap!

Lukaku has scored 21 goals in all competitions this season, the same amount as Morata & Lacazette have managed combined (21).

Mins Goals
    1904 (12) Morata
    1822 (11) Lacazette
    2775 (22) Lukaku

Lukaku: Goal every 146 mins
    Morata: Goal every 175 mins
    Lacazette: Goal every 226 mins

• Advertisement

Brighton next up please.

Lukaku has scored 21 goals in all competitions this season, the same amount as Morata & Lacazette have managed combined (21).

Mins Goals
    1904 (12) Morata
    1822 (11) Lacazette
    2775 (22) Lukaku

He's facking useless Ted.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm shocked at the morata stat thought he had way more

Hococop wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the morata stat thought he had way more

After a great start he has struggled badly to get within 10 yards of a cows arsé with a bango

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    From Mata's Facebook page.

Your face when you meet Mr. VAR for the first time in your career ��

28056356_1993341990682307_5410512617937299883_n.jpg?oh=055366bdee6ddb824be6c4bcd6fe6f76&oe=5B07BAE5

His beard was a lot fuller and darker on BT Sport :pac:

His beard was a lot fuller and darker on BT Sport :pac:

Tis an old picture :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Mins Goals
    1904 (12) Morata
    1822 (11) Lacazette
    2775 (22) Lukaku

Ya but how many touches did Morata and Lacazette nearly mess up to get those goals, much less than that donkey Lukaku I bet.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mins Goals
    1904 (12) Morata
    1822 (11) Lacazette
    2775 (22) Lukaku

I'm not sure if there's much to gain in comparing Lukakus' stats to two front men who are having poor seasons.

His stats do look good in comparison to some United legends though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ya but how many touches did Morata and Lacazette nearly mess up to get those goals, much less than that donkey Lukaku I bet.

:rolleyes:

He is no Rooney

Thank ****

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's much to gain in comparing Lukakus' stats to two front men who are having poor seasons.

His stats do look good in comparison to some United legends though.

Whatever about Lacazette, I think there is a point to comparing him to Morata, who we nearly signed instead, AND who was getting compared to Lukaku constantly at the start of the season when his stats were better. For all the complaints about what's happening to us this season (some genuine, some not), it's interesting to compare the three big name strikers who joined three top teams at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

In fairness to Morata he was out injured for a good bit I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Lukaku has been sensational for us; even when not scoring, he works tirelessly. Plus he’s young and will only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mins Goals
    1904 (12) Morata
    1822 (11) Lacazette
    2775 (22) Lukaku

Have to hold my hands up - at the time I was very happy with Lukaku but Morata just edged it for me, I thought he had the potential to be spectacular.

Now it definitely looks like Lukaku was the better buy - delighted I was wrong! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nearly sure it's zlatan doing ring announcer on the boxing haha.

20180217_221948.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Mins Goals
    1904 (12) Morata
    1822 (11) Lacazette
    2775 (22) Lukaku

Morata scored just the one goal against a top 4 opponent
    remember remember the 5th of November? :p
    Lacazette scored 2 against top 4 opponents :p:p
    both have played fewer games
    Lukaku very good against the likes of huddersfield, west brom, yeovil etc etc
    :p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

It goes to show you how stupid that idea is about not scoring against top sides then.

Does Morata and Lacazette not play against hudderesfield, west brom et al?

Would I prefer 20 odd goals or half that with a couple against "top sides"

It's a tough one.

No it isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Whatever about Lacazette, I think there is a point to comparing him to Morata, who we nearly signed instead, AND who was getting compared to Lukaku constantly at the start of the season when his stats were better. For all the complaints about what's happening to us this season (some genuine, some not), it's interesting to compare the three big name strikers who joined three top teams at the same time.
    Fair enough, I would like to think it's very evident without the stats that Lukaku is having the best season out of the three, and by some margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There are still things that let Lukaku down. His touch is heavy which isn't the worst thing for an off the shoulder attacker but is for someone tasked with holding the play up. He also struggles to stay alert at times around the box and pounce on breaking balls. Tends to hit a lot of shots directly at defenders too.

I've been generally impressed with elements of his game at times but he seems to struggle at times to bring it all together. Even today that was an astounding bit of play to score the second after picking it up just outside his box but he still fumbled a bit over the ball with his final touches. Pulled a decent finish out but I feel smarter keepers would have covered that side.

This may seem like an overly critical and nitpicky post but there are things that he needs to do better at imo. I've been impressed with his eye for a pass and he's made a couple of important crosses and passes at times this year and at times has really put in a shift. He needs to take more control of the front line, stop whining after the fact and start demanding the ball. Do we think Zlatan would stand for being overlooked in attacking moves as much as Lukaku has? Lukaku has shown that if he gets service and players close to him he can make things happen but does not gobble up the ball like top strikers do. It's something I hope he'll grow into but there are so many personalities around him now he has to make himself heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

limnam wrote: »
    It goes to show you how stupid that idea is about not scoring against top sides then.

Does Morata and Lacazette not play against hudderesfield, west brom et al?

Would I prefer 20 odd goals or half that with a couple against "top sides"

It's a tough one.

No it isn't

For all the spin, Jose and the board and other supporters will know that just one win against a top 6 side is simply not good enough

Sure you can laud Lukaku all you want but the simple truth is he hasnt been doing it for you against the teams that really matter and for what he cost he would have been expected to do that.

I doubt he will improve as say, salah has and certainly not under Jose

Liam I think that's a fairly spot on post.

The problem here at times is when some of us jump on other people's opinions it's not because a certain player or manager can't do no wrong it's because usually the opinoon is pure hyperbole.

You pointed out lukaku weakness in a nutshell but also are aware of his strengths.

It's the same when criticising the manager ignore everything good he has done because he has got some things wrong.

For all the spin, Jose and the board and other supporters will know that just one win against a top 6 side is simply not good enough

Sure you can laud Lukaku all you want but the simple truth is he hasnt been doing it for you against the teams that really matter and for what he cost he would have been expected to do that.

The problem isn't lukaku against top six teams it's the entire team setup. Lukaku hasn't been missing loads of glaring chances in them games he just dont get chances.

And yup course he won't improve because Jose can't improve players not like thenother managers in top six of the league sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Tell us something we don't know.

We've two wins so far and 4 to play.

I'm merely pointing out your point was nonsensical.

The team as a whole hasn't exactly lit the world on fire against not just top 6 sides but Lukaku is only one part of it.

Not sure what you mean by really matter, there's only 3 point up for grabs regardless. Ferguson has won many a title where it was won due to his consistency against "weaker" sides that won it. Your view point is rather simplistic and not very interesting.

Cool story bro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The run continues. 27 games on the bounce now we've won whenever we score first. We've also not thrown the lead away once on this run.

Another stat I came across. We've not lost a game under Jose when we score first.

If only we could just be able too win more from losing positions,we'd be close too putting in a good challenge for the two top prizes.

Dump a diddly do, dump a diddly do, dump a diddly doodely doodely do :)

Rigoletto is the opera, Verdi is the composer :) a lot of football chants have roots in opera and classical music. A lot of heavy metal tunes do too...

I know it's Verdi ya ***** ya! :pac: Meant it was from the opera itself rather than the composer. I'd do the same thing with a song from a musical.

I was aware of the classical influence on football chants, but not metal. Do you know of any chants based on a metal tune? There has to be a German team with one I bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lukaku has been sensational for us; even when not scoring, he works tirelessly. Plus he’s young and will only get better.

He has been good yes.

Sensational no.

Still so much of his game he needs to improve on and imo next season or the season after he will be a squad player as i think jose or whoever will look to improve our striker position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think people just don’t like Lukaku’s unorthodox style, but usually he gets the job done. He looks a bit awkward and at times his physique seems like a hindrance but his contribution outside the box has been very good and I’ve been surprised by his ability to pick passes. Sometimes when he’s a bit hesitant or indecisive he f**ks up but when he has a clear idea of what he wants to do he is very accurate and efficient.

The problem for the team at times is that we have a lot of awkward players. Smalling, Jones, Pogba and Fellaini are a bit unconventional too. Mata is also limited in terms of athleticism. It’s a real battle for us to get a tempo going, to play with pace, to maintain control of the ball and the game for long periods and consequently build pressure. There’s always something clumsy that gives the opposition a breather. A lot of our players need a few seconds to untangle their legs when they receive the ball and it really slows things down.

I think Lukaku can definitely be the main striker in our team for the next four or five years and we can be successful but improvements are needed behind him and our build up play needs to be a lot faster and more dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It takes just few mins to burst this myth that Lukaku don't play well against big teams, or don't score against big opponents (in last 2 seasons), but I'm not arsed anymore.

I see the posts and just at how clueless posters are and how they lap up anything that is posted on twitter.

Yeah its a major problem we all know wins against the top 6 give more bonus points than against the other 13 sides......oh wait a minute....

• bangkok wrote: »
    He has been good yes.

Sensational no.

Still so much of his game he needs to improve on and imo next season or the season after he will be a squad player as i think jose or whoever will look to improve our striker position

Like what

Go on entertain me

• Rossi IRL wrote: »
    McTominay really is not the answer..... We need to sign a proper midfielder in the summer to compliment Pogba and Matic

I don't believe this.

Pogba wasn't playing yesterday so not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement