Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't believe this.

Pogba wasn't playing yesterday so not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

People have been saying about needing another midfielder all year, maybe your referring the the Acton bit but even if you can't judge him solely in yesterday he is hardly the answer for the first team if he hasn't cemented a place this season. He is still young he could do anything but he isn't the answer for what we need now.

Who would people like to see signed in midfield I'd pipe dream kross or veratti

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'd like a Kante styled player

• People have been saying about needing another midfielder all year, maybe your referring the the Acton bit but even if you can't judge him solely in yesterday he is hardly the answer for the first team if he hasn't cemented a place this season. He is still young he could do anything but he isn't the answer for what we need now.

He could be an answer for the rest of the season.

We have to discuss the tools available to us now. I know we need a new midfielder to replace Carrick but that's in the summer. We need to address the issues currently in order for us to have a good finish to the season.

Ultimately yesterday proved nothing about Pogba in a midfield 3. I know Rossi was not implying this but I'm considering what our midfield should look like in a normal situation with all players available to us.

And Mctominey fits that need and needs to be given a good opportunity to prove that alongside Matic and Pogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Agree with this 100%
    Midfield of
    Matic
    Kroos/Modric and pogba could be devastating
    Matic breaks up the play
    Kross modric dictate tempo
    Pogba moves forward and plays to his strengths

Think one or both might be available if it all goes Pete tong in Madrid and zidane gets the gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Modric has always been a dream signing of mine, but at 33 is he not too old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is it a worry for anyone else how successfully Huddersfield pressed Matic early yesterday? They crowded him out a few times. Now pressing is one of that team's strengths but to a lesser degree than it would be coming up against City and Liverpool. When his options to go back to are Smalling, who is susceptible to the press himself and Lindelof, who isn't totally sure of himself yet it can cause serious problems imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What disappoints me about the Pogba situation is that it doesn’t look like he’s interested in doing what the team needs him to do. In the absence of knowing for sure, it looks like the manager is asking him to play in a more defensive position and the player is resisting. People can defend Pogba but he’s been subbed in his last two games and came down with mystery illness the morning of the match yesterday. It certainly suggests all is not well.

A player of his quality should be able to put in a decent shift anywhere in central midfield position. My concern is he doesn’t have the temperament to take orders
    That he doesn’t want to follow and he’s not putting the team first. I like Jose putting the foot down the same way SAF would have done if a player didn’t follow his orders.

It’s funny how quickly some fans will turn on the manager. I don’t care what Pogba wants, I want the team to win. If he’s not bothered working hard I’m happy to see the manager take action.

Another concern I have had for some time is that the club buys marquee signings with little consideration for what the team needs. I’m
    Delighted with the Sanchez signing but was it what the team needed or an opportunistic signing like mata? No manager would refuse a Sanchez but Jose says we need a central midfielder. He knew that in January and would of informed the board! Sure, we could say that you don’t get your targets in January but I do think there is an issue with Woodward and the clubs transfer policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

I had too much time on my hands this morning.

I've been watching replays of lukaku's second goal.

I'm completely dumb founded that people think his touches towards the goal were bad touches.

Running at that speed with the ball he has a very limited way to manipulate the ball while maintaining the speed and the ball "controlled". It looks to me his touches are pretty much perfect for what he was attempting to do.

Bloody great goal and beautiful assist. If you find fault with this you're either finding fault for faults sake to back up an agenda or don't/ ever played football to understand how difficult to do what he did is.

limnam wrote: »

I'm completely dumb founded that people think his touches towards the goal were bad touches.

Running at that speed with the ball he has a very limited way to manipulate the ball while maintaining the speed and the ball "controlled". It looks to me his touches are pretty much perfect for what he was attempting to do.

Bloody great goal and beautiful assist. If you find fault with this you're either finding fault for faults sake to back up an agenda or don't/ ever played football to understand how difficult to do what he did is.

Not to be too harsh but at one stage after his third touch the ball is very much at his side, I won't say he nearly left it behind him but it did inhibit him. He ended up after been straight through on goal with only one side he could easily score in. It was still a great goal but he opened up the possibility with a mediocre touch it 2 that it could have been stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was only bemoaning yesterday our inability to score proper counter attacking goals, so that second goal was one that made me happy.

As he runs with the ball, clear on goal, I notice he lets the ball drop ever so slightly behind him. Now, that could be a bad touch, or it could be that he's anticipating the defender coming in, so is positioning himself in between the ball and the other player. If the defender comes closer, Lukaku is in position to try to shrug him off. Either way, he gets the ball into position to get his power behind it, and he slots it away.

He does it a bit on the first goal too, wherein he actually does have to shoulder the defender off him to get space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The correct way (though it sounds silly considering he scored) to play that is to bring it across the defender so their only option is to foul you if they want to get to the ball. His touches both slowed him down significantly and gave the defender an angle at the ball. As I said previously I think a better keeper covers his near post side better.

There were a few moments yesterday where I thought he looked reluctant to take things on with his right side and gave defenders time to position themselves.

Hard to be overly critical when he scored both in a 2-0 win along with his general play being very good but these aren't chances he's going to be able to get back in bigger games.

Not to be too harsh but at one stage after his third touch the ball is very much at his side, I won't say he nearly left it behind him but it did inhibit him. He ended up after been straight through on goal with only one side he could easily score in. It was still a great goal but he opened up the possibility with a mediocre touch it 2 that it could have been stopped.

I disagree. The keeper is over to the left hand side and out as far as the penalty spot. The last touch is critical, he pretty much has to keep the ball shielded from the right, kept under control with enough pace to keep his momentum but not get too far ahead of him.

If anything it's the touch you refer to was the most impressive under pressure and would ultimately make or break the finish.

It's a cracking goal

Lord TSC wrote: »

As he runs with the ball, clear on goal, I notice he lets the ball drop ever so slightly behind him. Now, that could be a bad touch, or it could be that he's anticipating the defender coming in, so is positioning himself in between the ball and the other player.

Yeah for me it's a shield, someone mentioned cutting across the defender.

He's out in front of the 3 of them cutting across wouldn't make any sense imo. It would require an unnatural movement slowing him down more and narrowing the angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

His first touch is big to drive him in to the space. His running with the ball is good. He cleverly gets his body across to make it tough for the defender and he is protecting the ball. Then it's a lovely low finish going for pure accuracy. It's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

He took 3 touches. The second one is probably the worst, it gave the defender a chance to catch up and get goal side by time he took the shot. He makes up for it with the third though, drags it ahead of him perfectly to line up the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

He’d probably have been better off missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's a measure of how rigid some fans are in their dislike of a player that they try and argue that he should have scored a goal better.

Jesus fcuking wept.

It's a measure of how rigid some fans are in their dislike of a player that they try and argue that he should have scored a goal better.

Jesus fcuking wept.

I don't dislike Lukaku.

• Advertisement

Jesus fcuking wept.

I dont dislike him I do have some critisism of him in the past but limnam said he didnt see much/anything wrong with the touches some people agreed others didnt. I actually thought its interesting to see how people viewed it differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lukaku has that style of shot regularly. Even at Everton he seemed to like having the ball almost under his feet. Eg.

Lukaku-goal-GIF.gif

Sure it might look messy but Cahill simply can't commit to a challenge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lukaku gets two chances, running through on goal, with work to do, the dreaded 'time to think' and what happens? He scores, twice.

Brilliant. Even better is his work leading up to the pass for his first run and ability to brush off the covering defender.

Great to have a striker who could be the difference during a poor performance from the group.

Edit: forgot to say, on the second goal his run brings him away/across from the defender, on his left side, he keeps his body between the ball and chasing defender. Then finishes. Can't ask more than that.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lukaku has that style of shot regularly. Even at Everton he seemed to like having the ball almost under his feet. Eg.

Lukaku-goal-GIF.gif

Sure it might look messy but Cahill simply can't commit to a challenge.

You sure that’s Lukaku? It’s against Chelsea.

You sure that’s Lukaku? It’s against Chelsea.

Its A Lukaku, feck maybe its Jordan. I completely forgot Romelu doesn't score against big teams, and also naturally a top keeper like Courtois would never concede to him as he would be in the perfect position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He took 3 touches. The second one is probably the worst, it gave the defender a chance to catch up and get goal side by time he took the shot. He makes up for it with the third though, drags it ahead of him perfectly to line up the shot.

This micro analysis is laughable and just pathetic.

You think I'm harsh? Just copy paste your posts about Rooney and Lukaku into some note pad and compare. You couldn't find anything bad in Rooney's game and you can't find anything positive in Lukaku's.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its A Lukaku, feck maybe its Jordan. I completely forgot Romelu doesn't score against big teams, and also naturally a top keeper like Courtois would never concede to him as he would be in the perfect position.

It’s just that the good sergeant was in telling us how he can’t score in big games and there he is scoring against his own team. Unless he considers his own team a small team? I’m confused.

It’s just that the good sergeant was in telling us how he can’t score in big games and there he is scoring against his own team. Unless he considers his own team a small team? I’m confused.

He scored against City in both games last season, against Spurs and Arsenal.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    This micro analysis is laughable and just pathetic.

You think I'm harsh? Just copy paste your posts about Rooney and Lukaku into some note pad and compare. You couldn't find anything bad in Rooney's game and you can't find anything positive in Lukaku's.

I could make the opposite claim about many posters in here. I said he did well for that goal and I've posted before about how I don't think we get the best out of him. I've also made it clear that I don't think he's a world class striker.

A pathetic and laughable micro analysis would be making a compilation video of his poor touches/passes or discussing his diet and how he spends his private time.

• Advertisement

I could make the opposite claim about many posters in here. I said he did well for that goal and I've posted before about how I don't think we get the best out of him. I've also made it clear that I don't think he's a world class striker.

A pathetic and laughable micro analysis would be making a compilation video of his poor touches/passes or discussing his diet and how he spends his private time.

So this is revenge for something did to Rooney? Are you his brother or agent? Or the granny shagged by Rooney?

So this is revenge for something did to Rooney? Are you his brother or agent? Or the granny shagged by Rooney?

What? How on earth did you arrive at that conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hococop wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the morata stat thought he had way more

You remember the lamenting was done that we signed lukaku instead of him not so long ago, :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/965181854419582976

Mourinho on Scott McTominay: "Honestly, I think Scott deserves more than what he is getting. I think maybe it's because he's this kind of kid profile: a normal haircut, no tattoos, no big cars, no big watches, humble kid, arrive in the club when he was nine or 10" #MUFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/965181854419582976

Mourinho on Scott McTominay: "Honestly, I think Scott deserves more than what he is getting. I think maybe it's because he's this kind of kid profile: a normal haircut, no tattoos, no big cars, no big watches, humble kid, arrive in the club when he was nine or 10" #MUFC

So he to be sold in the summer then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't dislike Lukaku.

Maybe you don't but to me it seems you have been very nit picky about most every aspect of his game. Apologies if I'm confusing you with bangkok who has a full on case of the Fellainis for him.

On another note, what would you consider a good return for a "world class" striker?

Rom has 21 goals this term so far and is on target for 30 at least for the season. He has been desperately starved of service in alot of games and dragged away alot from up top in alot of games too so imo 21 goals in a set up that does not play to his strenghts is a pretty good return, especially considering it's his first season at the club and with these team mates.

While he may not be in the same "world class" bracket as the likes of Kane or Aguero, he is I think an excellent striker and will have a long career with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Great to hear this, not sure why but I think he could hopefully develop into a Darren Fletcher type of player - grounded, nothing flash but hard working, consistent, great squad player etc. I really can't recall a bad game from him and seems to have a great temperament so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

During last Summer when it looked like we might sign either Lukaku or Morata I would have preferred Morata.I think it is still a bit early to be saying that Utd made a far better decision getting Lukaku over Morata.A lot of strikers take at least a season to get integrated into their new surroundings and Morata has had several injuries.
    I will be interested to see how Lukaku fares against quality defenders in the latter stages of the Champions League (hoping we get at least 4 more games).

Lukaku looks like he may reach 30 goals by seasons end which would be a great return but I will judge him over 3 or 4 seasons (all going well) not over his first season and likewise with Morata at Chelsea.

Maybe you don't but to me it seems you have been very nit picky about most every aspect of his game. Apologies if I'm confusing you with bangkok who has a full on case of the Fellainis for him.

On another note, what would you consider a good return for a "world class" striker?

Rom has 21 goals this term so far and is on target for 30 at least for the season. He has been desperately starved of service in alot of games and dragged away alot from up top in alot of games too so imo 21 goals in a set up that does not play to his strenghts is a pretty good return, especially considering it's his first season at the club and with these team mates.

While he may not be in the same "world class" bracket as the likes of Kane or Aguero, he is I think an excellent striker and will have a long career with us.

I think you may be confusing me with Bangkok.

It's not so much what I'm expecting in terms of goals. It would be nice if he was hitting the same numbers of the likes of Kane, Aguero, Salah etc. and I think the number one striker at United should be in that kind of company. Though as I've said a number of times previously, we don't play in a way that gets the most out of him.

Having said that, I think he lets a lot of games pass him by too easily. I think for his strength and size he's very poor at winning aerial balls or holding up the play. He seems to give up at times if the right ball isn't played to him and doesn't seem to give the rest of the team as much of a bollocking as he should. A few goals against top 6 opponents would be quite welcome too. I've said before that I don't think he has the ability to create goals from nothing and do something special like you'd associate with a world class striker. An "x-factor' for want of a better term. I'm not convinced, from his time at United anyway, that he can produce moments like van Persie's volley against Aston Villa, Rooney's bicycle against City or his volley against Newcastle, or Ronaldo's strike against Porto for example.

Excellent striker as I've said before, but not without his faults in my opinion, and not at the same level of the real elite goalscorers in the game.

We've some big games coming up in the next few weeks that will play a major role in shaping the rest of the season. I'm looking forward to seeing what the manager, the team and Lukaku can deliver in those.

I've said before that I don't think he has the ability to create goals from nothing and do something special like you'd associate with a world class striker.

There's a post a few up from yours proving that this is wrong

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106183500&postcount=4073

The goal against Chelsea he made himself out of nothing, pretty fcking special.

• Advertisement

There's a post a few up from yours proving that this is wrong

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106183500&postcount=4073

The goal against Chelsea he made himself out of nothing, pretty fcking special.

I'd a feeling that goal would be brought up again. Questionable defending, but a good goal alright, though I've yet to see him do something like this for United. There's been plenty of games where we could have done with him producing something like this too rather than scoring the final of 4 goals against Newcastle or Yeovil. Maybe he might do it in one of the big games coming up over the coming weeks. Until then, keep holding on to that goal for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Didn't lukaku score against real Madrid in the super cup?

I think you may be confusing me with Bangkok.

It's not so much what I'm expecting in terms of goals. It would be nice if he was hitting the same numbers of the likes of Kane, Aguero, Salah etc. and I think the number one striker at United should be in that kind of company. Though as I've said a number of times previously, we don't play in a way that gets the most out of him.

Having said that, I think he lets a lot of games pass him by too easily. I think for his strength and size he's very poor at winning aerial balls or holding up the play. He seems to give up at times if the right ball isn't played to him and doesn't seem to give the rest of the team as much of a bollocking as he should. A few goals against top 6 opponents would be quite welcome too. I've said before that I don't think he has the ability to create goals from nothing and do something special like you'd associate with a world class striker. An "x-factor' for want of a better term. I'm not convinced, from his time at United anyway, that he can produce moments like van Persie's volley against Aston Villa, Rooney's bicycle against City or his volley against Newcastle, or Ronaldo's strike against Porto for example.

Excellent striker as I've said before, but not without his faults in my opinion, and not at the same level of the real elite goalscorers in the game.

We've some big games coming up in the next few weeks that will play a major role in shaping the rest of the season. I'm looking forward to seeing what the manager, the team and Lukaku can deliver in those.

Wasn't second goal against Huddersfield a goal he created himself? He took the ball near our box, dribbled few yards before passing it to Sanchez and making direct run behind defence. If changing defence into attack is not creating chance for himself then not sure what is.

Didn't he create goal against Burnley from nothing position, when he received ball at half line with 2 CBs on him?

Didn't he score his goal against Newcastle creating himself, dribbling, playing one two with Mata before scoring?

Hococop wrote: »
    Didn't lukaku score against real Madrid in the super cup?

There will be an excuse why this doesn't count don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Another game added to Spurs schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That result can only be a good thing!

I'd a feeling that goal would be brought up again. Questionable defending, but a good goal alright, though I've yet to see him do something like this for United. There's been plenty of games where we could have done with him producing something like this too rather than scoring the final of 4 goals against Newcastle or Yeovil. Maybe he might do it in one of the big games coming up over the coming weeks. Until then, keep holding on to that goal for Everton.

Of course. Poor defending. Nothing to do with Rom's class.

Rooney's bicycle kick against city, in between two city defenders no one picked him up.

Poor defending?

So why claim he can't do it, when he has done it. At least change your point to a reasonable one like he doesn't do it often enough.

Your wrong, you know you're wrong but try to take the credit away from Rom to save a bit of face.

Classy.

Wasn't second goal against Huddersfield a goal he created himself? He took the ball near our box, dribbled few yards before passing it to Sanchez and making direct run behind defence. If changing defence into attack is not creating chance for himself then not sure what is.

The defending was shocking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They had an episode of Premier League gold on after the Spurs game and just looking at it reminds you how of good Beckham was.

The game was United away to Liverpool in the 1999-2000 season when they went in 3-1 up at half-time. Can't remember how it finished as the channel was switched. Taibi was in goal and made a boo-boo for Hyypia to score a header but at the same time Jamie Carragher scored an early OG.

But anyway at one stage in the first half Taibi rolled the ball out to Beckham in the right back position and he pinged an 80m pass right onto the boot of Giggs who had played off the shoulder of the last man. He actually got taken down for what looked like a peno but whatever....

Beckham also had pin-point crosses in to both Cole and Berg to score in the same game.

God be with the days of having consistently quality ball being delivered from the right wing.

He was supplying Hollywood passes long before it became a sign of frustrated build-up play.

Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I have said loads of times lukaku is a good striker, please dont paint a picture that i think he is no good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement