Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    I have said loads of times lukaku is a good striker, please dont paint a picture that i think he is no good.

Exactly you just moan about him every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I have said loads of times lukaku is a good striker, please dont paint a picture that i think he is no good.

In all honesty, you have been painting that picture yourself with the “he will be replaced by a top striker next season/in the future”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    In all honesty, you have been painting that picture yourself with the “he will be replaced by a top striker next season/in the future”

So?

That doesnt make him poor and i have never said he is. He is good, but he is not an elite striker

jayo26 wrote: »
    Exactly you just moan about him every game.

Not true

So pogba trained before huddersfield game, was ruled out through sickness but was grand for training again this morning..

So pogba trained before huddersfield game, was ruled out through sickness but was grand for training again this morning..

Probably just a bug sure felt better today so back to training???

Probably just a bug sure felt better today so back to training???

More to it than that and we will never know

More to it than that and we will never know

Why? Why can't a guy be feeling a bit under the weather so he is given the game off and back to training next day.

Why? Why can't a guy be feeling a bit under the weather so he is given the game off and back to training next day.

Him tweeting about it as well or his media manager tweeting about him needing to "get better" just seems strange to me

• Advertisement

Jesus, trying to create something from nothing now...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Or you're just, you know reading waaaaay too much into it.

Him tweeting about it as well or his media manager tweeting about him needing to "get better" just seems strange to me

Well yesterday you were convicted it was a knock so hey we just go with what the club are saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well yesterday you were convicted it was a knock so hey we just go with what the club are saying.
    bless your innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

limnam wrote: »
    Of course. Poor defending. Nothing to do with Rom's class.

Rooney's bicycle kick against city, in between two city defenders no one picked him up.

Poor defending?

So why claim he can't do it, when he has done it. At least change your point to a reasonable one like he doesn't do it often enough.

You can easily find clips of Lingard's recent goals for United in which he looks like a superstar. Of course, he is not a superstar and not a world class striker either. A goal in isolation proves nothing.

Your wrong, you know you're wrong but try to take the credit away from Rom to save a bit of face.

Classy.

How am I wrong? I outlined my opinion on him where I gave him credit, acknowledged that the team isn't exactly playing to his strengths but also made the point that i don't believe he's an elite level striker.

I think any reasonable football fan would agree that Lukaku is not amongst the elite goalscorers in the game. Nothing incorrect about saying that.

bless your innocence.

Thanks your very sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

You can easily find clips of Lingard's recent goals for United in which he looks like a superstar. Of course, he is not a superstar and not a world class striker either. A goal in isolation proves nothing.

So why use these "special" goals in your criteria if they shouldn't be used in isolation? "he can't do x" - "here he is doing X" "oh don't take a goal in isolation.

Nonsense talk.
    How am I wrong?

You're wrong stating he can't create a goal out of nothing.
    You were shown he could.
    This means, wait for it. You're wrong.
    Thanks for playing.

So why use these "special" goals in your criteria if they shouldn't be used in isolation? "he can't do x" - "here he is doing X" "oh don't take a goal in isolation.

Nonsense talk.

You're wrong stating he can't create a goal out of nothing.
    You were shown he could.
    This means, wait for it. You're wrong.
    Thanks for playing.

Fair enough if you want to be anal about my wording. I honestly don't consider that goal against Chelsea to be of the same caliber as the ones I cited earlier, the defending as I said, was questionable at best. Just like it was when Lingard scored similar goals twice this season. To be clearer, I'm unconvinced that he can produce those type of moments with the quality and regularity that really sets apart the top goalscorers from the rest.

But as I said, keep clinging on to that goal. Hopefully he can produce it again when we really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

At least Lukaku is back celebrating again. That whole period just felt odd.

Hopefully he'll thrive now that we've entered the business end of the season. There are some big games to come where taking the odd rare opportunity could be the difference between a successful season and an average one.

A goal or two in Spain would be a lovely place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

S.M.B. wrote: »
    At least Lukaku is back celebrating again. That whole period just felt odd.

Hopefully he'll thrive now that we've entered the business end of the season. There are some big games to come where taking the odd rare opportunity could be the difference between a successful season and an average one.

A goal or two in Spain would be a lovely place to start.

Hopefully Sevilla arent too big a club for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The defending was shocking :rolleyes:

It's as if that's some parody account now.

This guy couldn't say a bad word against Rooney when he stunk up the place and now can't praise Lukaku without some backhanded comments.

• Advertisement

bless your innocence.

Yeah, who cares about official communications as long as we can believe journalists who would even sell their mothers to get some clicks.

• Rumours of the 'Big Fella' on his way out this morning :(

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rumours of the 'Big Fella' on his way out this morning :(

Yeah supposedly close to agreeing a pre-contract with Galatasary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Pogba has done very little since he arrived back. Last season he was largely dreadful and he only seems to really play when it suits him. He has great ability but there’s no point if he can’t consistently perform or is so precious he can only play a very specific role and everyone else has to bend over backwards to accommodate him.

He is not Messi and doesn’t warrant that kind of special treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

My image of Bangkok hearing this

chris-farley-funny-dancing-dance-gif-6141069

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,373 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do find it odd that he would leave.

I don't think he will be better paid elsewhere and he has been a favourite of Jose's from day 1. He doesn't start every game, but he is obviously an important member of the squad and plays very regularly.

I honestly think we are missing him at the moment, for example.

But.. if he does go I am not going to be too upset over it. I don't think it would be a huge task to replace him with a better player. Would make CM an even bigger issue in the summer.

Would be down to Pogba, Herrera, Matic, McTominay and (unlilely, imo) Pereira. We'd need two, very good, signings, imo.

Last season he was largely dreadful and he only seems to really play when it suits him.

100% disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

That’s good news. Wish him well and I defended him a lot over the years but our style is not going to progress with him in the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can only imagine Jose has told Fellaini he'll have a further reduced role next year, and he's leaving for game time. I can appreciate that but also think he shouldn't be higher than a squad player next season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone know what time is most likely for the FA cup quarter final on the weekend of 16th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time is most likely for the FA cup quarter final on the weekend of 16th?

All down to the tv people I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

When rags such as Metro and the Daily Mirror are being used as the sources, or starting grounds for the Pogba/José feud I find it hard to believe so many people fall for it.

News sites/papers like these have proven over and over again they will make up anything in order to sell, and time and time again it's been proven that it works. Who doesn't like a big juicy dressing room bust-up story.

Queue Pogba to score against Sevilla and run over to hug Mourinho after.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    When rags such as Metro and the Daily Mirror are being used as the sources, or starting grounds for the Pogba/José feud I find it hard to believe so many people fall for it.

News sites/papers like these have proven over and over again they will make up anything in order to sell, and time and time again it's been proven that it works. Who doesn't like a big juicy dressing room bust-up story.

What about L'Equipe?

What about L'Equipe?

L’equipe is pretty much the same as a standard English Red top, if you are looking for someone that has proper links around France, Bouhafsi from RMC sport is the one to watch, has links to most clubs and is very close to agents and national team.

For Raiola though, it will be straight to DiMarzio.

Adamocovic wrote: »

Tbh, when you see people trying to push the whole Hotel room narrative, or "Doesn't Jose look glum" nonsense, can you blame the press for casting the line with stories like that? Some people just straight up want to believe there's problems behind the scenes, and have tried to push far more idiotic arguements that "Pogba was dropped cause he fought with Jose".

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's as if that's some parody account now.

This guy couldn't say a bad word against Rooney when he stunk up the place and now can't praise Lukaku without some backhanded comments.

You must be poor at reading comprehension then.

You must be poor at reading comprehension then.

Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Win, lose, or draw, there will always be conflict and debates in the thread regarding certain players.

In an ever changing world full of surprises and the fear of the unknown it's nice to know some things remain the same. Comforting.

• That’s good news. Wish him well and I defended him a lot over the years but our style is not going to progress with him in the team.

I don't believe so. At the end of the season yes I would agree somewhat.
    But weakening our squad without replacement is of no benefit to anyone.

Please note: I'm not sure when the plan for Fellani to leave is.

• Advertisement

He won’t leave till the summer.. but saying that if he shows his intention to leave will Jose keep him in mind or will he leave him out like Schneiderlin and Memphis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It'll be the end of the season, he's out injured now anyway so running out of game time. I reckon if he's fit within the next 5 or 6 weeks he'll get a few games between then and the end of the season before leaving on a free.

He won't leave ManUtd now, it will be end of the season. He has contract till June 30 2018, so he can't leave unless club agrees to sell him and the buying club's transfer window is open.

This does bring back up an issue Jose talked about a while back; once again, we're not going to be adding to the squad, but replacing parts of it.

We now likely need to bring in two midfielders to replace Carrick and Fellaini just to keep squad numbers at the same level they are now (even taking on board Carrick has barely played and Fellaini is a sick note currently). Ideally, we wouldn't have been down numbers in midfield going into the summer window, but now we're playing catch up again. If I remember right, Jose made the point that the likes of City are adding to what they have, while we're having to replace and thus not strengthening as much.

Losing Fellaini is a blow, even if you think he's not great, simply because we were already short on numbers there as is.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This does bring back up an issue Jose talked about a while back; once again, we're not going to be adding to the squad, but replacing parts of it.

We now likely need to bring in two midfielders to replace Carrick and Fellaini just to keep squad numbers at the same level they are now (even taking on board Carrick has barely played and Fellaini is a sick note currently). Ideally, we wouldn't have been down numbers in midfield going into the summer window, but now we're playing catch up again. If I remember right, Jose made the point that the likes of City are adding to what they have, while we're having to replace and thus not strengthening as much.

Losing Fellaini is a blow, even if you think he's not great, simply because we were already short on numbers there as is.

that is not true, city have got rid of plenty of dead wood from their squad and replaced them the very same as us.

off the top of my head Bony, Iheancho, Nolito, Fernando, kolorov, nasri, mangala, clichy, zabaleta and prob a few more that i cant even think of

that is not true, city have got rid of plenty of dead wood from their squad and replaced them the very same as us.

off the top of my head Bony, Iheancho, Nolito, Ferndinho, kolorov, nasri, mangala, clichy, zabaleta and prob a few more that i cant even think of

They replaced them AFTER strengthening, getting rid of players they no longer needed. They replaced them in the opposite order to us; they had too many players so trimmed the fat. We're struggling to field a decent midfield, and now are losing two more players before we even go shopping....

• Advertisement

To be honest I think it's a good thing. We replace two players that are never going to be first choice next season with one player that is a first team midfielder and another that has serious hunger and potential.

We end up with the same numbers in the squad but better options.

If fellaini was staying and we brought in just one midfielder to replace Carrick then you would have a player like fellaini stopping potential from coming through.

We just need to replace them with the right players for the managers ideas that has to make the team stronger.

They replaced them AFTER strengthening, getting rid of players they no longer needed. They replaced them in the opposite order to us; they had too many players so trimmed the fat. We're struggling to field a decent midfield, and now are losing two more players before we even go shopping....

Carrick hasnt played in months and Fellaini was only ever a squad player, they needed replacing anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The word on the street from Manchester is that we will see some big changes in playing staff and playing style next season.

I disagree with the general point - I have no real issue with United only replacing numbers.

We could replace Carrick and Fellaini with proper first team quality players and then have Pogba/Matic/New/New/Herrera/McTominay/Pereira.

That is potentially better than what we have, without adding in numbers (even if you want to take Pereira out).

Take a wild dream of bringing in, say, Veratti and (I've no real idea) Vidal) in the summer to replace Carrick and Fellaini. I'd reckon the new midfield is far better sorted than the old one, without adding in numbers.

Carrick being injured most of the season, Herrera being poor and now Fellaini being injured are issues this season, rather than an overall lack of numbers.

Who realistically would we bring in?

Maybe Saul or Koke from Atleti?

It will be an interesting one anyways, surprised we haven’t heard any major links already tbh..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement