Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The word on the street from Manchester is that we will see some big changes in playing staff and playing style next season.

you sure that wasnt on the streets of Liverpool?!

astradave wrote: »
    Who realistically would we bring in?

Maybe Saul or Koke from Atleti?

It will be an interesting one anyways, surprised we haven’t heard any major links already tbh..

Jean Michael Seri has been heavily linked.

Koke is a non runner, dont think he will ever leave athletico and recently signed a long term contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This does bring back up an issue Jose talked about a while back; once again, we're not going to be adding to the squad, but replacing parts of it.

We now likely need to bring in two midfielders to replace Carrick and Fellaini just to keep squad numbers at the same level they are now (even taking on board Carrick has barely played and Fellaini is a sick note currently). Ideally, we wouldn't have been down numbers in midfield going into the summer window, but now we're playing catch up again. If I remember right, Jose made the point that the likes of City are adding to what they have, while we're having to replace and thus not strengthening as much.

Losing Fellaini is a blow, even if you think he's not great, simply because we were already short on numbers there as is.

Andreas will be one free replacement anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Carrick hasnt played in months and Fellaini was only ever a squad player, they needed replacing anyway

Could of sworn I seen him on the pitch the other day or are you going to say the most recent game doesn't matter?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    Andreas will be one free replacement anyway.

I hope so but wouldn't be sure. I don't know if we'll promise him any more time this year than last. Seems like he just prefers playing for the smaller teams in Spain where they give him first team football :/

astradave wrote: »
    Who realistically would we bring in?

Maybe Saul or Koke from Atleti?

It will be an interesting one anyways, surprised we haven’t heard any major links already tbh..

Savic from Lazio maybe? Saul or Seri..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

you sure that wasnt on the streets of Liverpool?!

Different type of claims about next year. Ours aren't from the realms of fantasy. :):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Different type of claims about next year. Ours aren't from the realms of fantasy. :):)

Ooh, do expand. I could do with some gossip :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The word on the street from Manchester is that we will see some big changes in playing staff and playing style next season.

:D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I hope so but wouldn't be sure. I don't know if we'll promise him any more time this year than last. Seems like he just prefers playing for the smaller teams in Spain where they give him first team football :/

Well Carrick and Fellaini are done. Ander is septic this year so wouldn't suprise me to see him moved either. That leaves Pogba, Matic, Andreas & McTominay. We will certainly spend big on someone box to box who can help Pogba, Therefore I doubt we will go blockbuster for another midfielder the same window (unless we maybe go for a Matic understudy but that wouldn't effect Andreas position). He would be ahead of McTominay in the central pecking order AND be a RW/RM option in games aswell. Matic - Pogba - AN Other start Andreas first sub.

• Advertisement

Ooh, do expand. I could do with some gossip :P

Just passing on what I was told. We may just wait and see. Consolidate 2nd this season and go for what trophies remain then go big next season.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Could of sworn I seen him on the pitch the other day or are you going to say the most recent game doesn't matter?

you know what i meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've heard nuthin :pac:

you know what i meant

Yes you ment Carrick hasn't played in months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Always rated Pereira, like most here, and fully believe we need to start playing him next year, if not he'll not be short of good teams looking for him.

I don't agree with the sentence saying he prefers to play for "smaller teams in Spain" where he'll be given first team football. Of course Madrid and Barcelona are the big two but I would have Valencia still ranked as one of the bigger clubs in Spain despite the last two seasons being very poor for them.

He's had to work hard there. Valencia are currently 3rd place in the league above Real, I'm aware Madrid have been struggling. Recently they lost in the Cup semi-final to Barcelona but were not humiliated in the process (3-0 over two legs). The Valencia team has been playing very good football this year and Andreas had to work very hard to become more of a regular in the squad. He was first used a sub but lately has gained himself a starters role.

I know it may not have been intended but the way I read the final sentence seemed to come across like it was diminishing the work he has put in. I would be hugely disappointed if we let him go this summer.

Been thinking about Ander, maybe his off the field stuff is affecting him a lot more than we might initially think this season?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Just passing on what I was told. We may just wait and see. Consolidate 2nd this season and go for what trophies remain then go big next season.

So you are saying Pogba, De Gea, Lukaku and Martial all to be shipped out as the big playing squad changes. We will be playing an ultra defensive formation of 631 and looking to be as negative as possible in every game as the playing style changes?

I for one look forward to next year, new contract for Ibra, Sign Andy Carroll and tie Fellaini down for the rest of his career, defend like beavers for 85 minutes every game refusing to budge into the opponents half until the final 10 minutes when the opposition is worn out and frustrated then BAM! heavy metal kloppenpass to Fellaini, flick on to Ibra, flick on to Carroll who breaks the net with a bicycle kick.

Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

While we have been linked to Seri, there is no hope in him moving to the north of England, he can’t play in the cold, he actually has a medical condition that affects him in cold conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So you are saying Pogba, De Gea, Lukaku and Martial all to be shipped out as the big playing squad changes. We will be playing an ultra defensive formation of 631 and looking to be as negative as possible in every game as the playing style changes?

I for one look forward to next year, new contract for Ibra, Sign Andy Carroll and tie Fellaini down for the rest of his career, defend like beavers for 85 minutes every game refusing to budge into the opponents half until the final 10 minutes when the opposition is worn out and frustrated then BAM! heavy metal kloppenpass to Fellaini, flick on to Ibra, flick on to Carroll who breaks the net with a bicycle kick.

Good times

All correct except for one part, Pogba will not be sold. What do you think this spat with Jose is all about?

It's about breaking his spirit so he can be rebuilt into the obnoxious, pummeling yet misunderstood "target man" who's "good with his feet for a big man" that his 6'3'' frame was always destined to be.

• Advertisement

I have it on good authority that the spat traces back to a row over a bottle of ketchup. Jose wanted some for his chips and asked Paul to pass it, paul lobbd it to him but Jose did no make the grab, the ketchup smashed and lacerated a piece of fellainis hair off. This obviously infuriated Jose as he firmly believes fellainis power lies in his hair ala samson, he slammed pogbas wayward pass of the bottle, pogba blames it on Jose for not adapting to correctly position his arms to make the grab.

The division has become toxic with the dressing room split down the middle. All attempts by Mick phelan to be the peacemaker have failed thus far and it looks bleak.

Morale is at an all time low within the club and one thing seems to be certain, someone who's name ends in O has got to go

I have it on good authority that the spat traces back to a row over a bottle of ketchup.

Surely José should have just nicked some packets from the hotel restaurant! This whole thing could have been avoided.

I asked that exact question, got told the hotel only had chef which Mourinho has an intense hatred for. Pogba apparently carries a bottle of Heinz with him everywhere. Money does make you a bit loopy I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I haven't seen any indication Fellaini will be sold and needs replacing, it's always amusing to see people create a situation where what they would like to happen becomes what needs to happen or what is likely to happen.

JM has always been very complimentary about Fellaini and has used him plenty when he has been fit. He's an excellent option to have.

ericzeking wrote: »
    I haven't seen any indication Fellaini will be sold and needs replacing, it's always amusing to see people create a situation where what they would like to happen becomes what needs to happen or what is likely to happen.

JM has always been very complimentary about Fellaini and has used him plenty when he has been fit. He's an excellent option to have.

Your right he won't be sold.....

He is out of contract at the end of this season and they haven't agreed to a new one.

As you were...

ericzeking wrote: »

Well if Fellaini doesnt renew his contract Jose can only lock him in a cupboard in his hotel room. A non contracted player can't play in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I have it on good authority that the spat traces back to a row over a bottle of ketchup. Jose wanted some for his chips and asked Paul to pass it, paul lobbd it to him but Jose did no make the grab, the ketchup smashed and lacerated a piece of fellainis hair off. This obviously infuriated Jose as he firmly believes fellainis power lies in his hair ala samson, he slammed pogbas wayward pass of the bottle, pogba blames it on Jose for not adapting to correctly position his arms to make the grab.

The division has become toxic with the dressing room split down the middle. All attempts by Mick phelan to be the peacemaker have failed thus far and it looks bleak.

Morale is at an all time low within the club and one thing seems to be certain, someone who's name ends in O has got to go

The dangers of a broken red sauce bottle (ketchup!? this is Ireland :mad:). The real reason Moyes banned chips.

https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/965578417163948032

"Toni Kroos is Man United's top target for the midfield this summer, four years after Moyes had the very same deal tied up."

"Toni Kroos is Man United's top target for the midfield this summer, four years after Moyes had the very same deal tied up."

would love to see him in a united shirt

Madrid really did get him for a steal.

Recently signed a long-term contract (till 2022) so we would have to be forking out a lot in order to get him.
    Would love to see him in the squad but I don't see it happening, seems destined to be one of those that we're constantly linked with but never sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why would Madrid sell him and why would he want to push for a move to United.

Can't think of a good reason for Madrid to sell - they do look like they will undergo some relatively drastic changes, but I would reckon they would look to sell from Bale/Ronaldo/Benzema. I don't think CM will be their focus.

As for why he would push for a move to United, for more money I guess, but I don't think he would look to force that move (or be succesful if he did).

Maybe we'll get him in 5 years time when he is winding down.

• Advertisement

• Been thinking about Ander, maybe his off the field stuff is affecting him a lot more than we might initially think this season?

Such as? Wasn't aware of this.

I remember being annoyed when we missed out on Kroos, we may have never really been in with a chance, but he was some player.

No disrespect to Ander Herrera, a player I do love despite his poor form, but to think we bought him for £28.8million while Madrid got Kroos for £22.5million is nuts.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Such as? Wasn't aware of this.

Accusations of match fixing back in Spain.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I remember being annoyed when we missed out on Kroos, we may have never really been in with a chance, but he was some player.

No disrespect to Ander Herrera, a player I do love despite his poor form, but to think we bought him for £28.8million while Madrid got Kroos for £22.5million is nuts.

we signed fellaini for 28m, 4m more than his buyout clause the same summer we were after kroos

we signed fellaini for 28m, 4m more than his buyout clause the same summer we were after kroos

thought Kroos was the following season? Set up by Moyes and then LVG decided against signing him?

thought Kroos was the following season? Set up by Moyes and then LVG decided against signing him?

maybe, but moyes def wanted to sign him and fabregas when moyes first joined

• I watched Joses interview again after the cup game

So he's pretty much confirming that he's moving to a 4-3-3 with Matic, Mctominey & Pogba (because Pogba was ill he swapped in Carrick)

I really hope this is case against Sevilla although I can actuality see maybe more of a 4-5-1 away form home

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I watched Joses interview again after the cup game

So he's pretty much confirming that he's moving to a 4-3-3 with Matic, Mctominey & Pogba (because Pogba was ill he swapped in Carrick)

I really hope this is case against Sevilla although I can actuality see maybe more of a 4-5-1 away form home

he also said we played 4-3-3 away to newcastle and pogba played in his favourite position to the left on matic in a 3...

For all the people who think McTominey wont make it I actually like him. Nothing flashy about his play (that I've noticed) but I think he's been quite solid and promising.

José seems to like him so no doubt will be getting more and more games. Working with players like Matic and Carrick you would only think he will continue to improve.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    For all the people who think McTominey wont make it I actually like him. Nothing flashy about his play (that I've noticed) but I think he's been quite solid and promising.

José seems to like him so no doubt will be getting more and more games. Working with players like Matic and Carrick you would only think he will continue to improve.

But that would be my opinion of him, and exactly why I argued against some posters on here who were calling for him to come in to the first team and lauding him a few months ago.

He's an OK player. He's decent. His passing is ok. He could develop into a useful squad player in the future but I personally see less promise in him now that I would have in someone like Gibson.

His current play isn't going to be unlocking defenses or shutting an opposition midfield down. He doesn't look like he is going to be a huge goal threat.

I don't think he has shown himself to be brilliant defensively or great at taking the ball under pressure and moving it on, creating space etc.

I've nothing against him and seeing him in midfield doesn't fill me with dread, but at the same time I'd never (so far) be excited to see what he is going to bring to the table in the match.

Also, at 21 I would expect him to be making more of an impact now, if we are expecting him to be an important player in the years to come.

Maybe with more time his confidence will grow and we will see him passing and moving more expansively, but that is a big maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don’t see any difference in 433, 451, 4231. If Pogba is deeper we call it a two man midfield even though Jesse is actually an advanced midfielder. If Pogba is advanced suddenly it’s a three man midfield.

The system never/rarely changes as far as I can see, just the personnel.

I don’t see any difference in 433, 451, 4231. If Pogba is deeper we call it a two man midfield even though Jesse is actually an advanced midfielder. If Pogba is advanced suddenly it’s a three man midfield.

Then you need to pay closer attention.

There is a massive difference.

In 4231 pogba is playing as part of the two and is covering the back four with one other player when he looks ahead he has 4 players fighting for space in the final third if the pitch that he also wants to be in the middle of there is not enough room because you also have players like Mata and Sanchez who also like to get into the centre of the pitch.

With a 433 pogba is part of a 3 man midfield where there is only 3 players ahead of him and he can float forward and wide in the knowledge that there is two midfielders behind him covering the defence that he would usually be part of and he can also drift wide left when the likes of Sanchez go inside.

Saying that I don't know if it's as simple as throwing in matic and mctominay alongside pogba and suddenly our midfield is perfect but I do think it's better then it would be with a 4231.

McTominay could easily become the Fletcher/Butt-esque type in midfield. Reliable and Consistent. Not flashy, never really gunna be in 1st XI but very valuble to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He’d probably have been better off missing.

Haha proper laughed at this.

I can sometimes get what people mean or say about their critism about his touch. He looks a bit awkward at times, he doesn't look slick and fluid, there is a little bobble here or there.

But the only thing that matters, in regards his control and touch, is does it result in him firing a shot on target.

And more often then not, the answer is yes.

Would have been saying it for a number of years, nevermind when he signed, but the crap about his touch and linkup play has always been a pure myth. The Lukaku focus is always on what he cant do, as opposed to what he can do.

I'm delighted we have him, delighted with what he is doing,and we have a striker who will grow into the world class category, without a doubt, and him scoring goals wont be a problem in our team.

If the attack was really firing on all cyclinders, he will hit 30's+ easily season on season. He is a viscous striker. Can't keep level about how good I think he will be. Could easily be the best striker we've had since Berbatov*

(Joke, since Van Nistelroy)

pjohnson wrote: »
    McTominay could easily become the Fletcher/Butt-esque type in midfield. Reliable and Consistent. Not flashy, never really gunna be in 1st XI but very valuble to the squad.

I like him i think he has loads of potential. Yes he isnt a massive standout type player but he has desire and that will get him far.

The only problem I see with him is if he gets swallowed up by new signings which will happen he is going to need to work very hard to get into the team.

So?

That doesnt make him poor and i have never said he is. He is good, but he is not an elite striker

In your opinion.

In others, he already is.

I don't really know what people want. He has been putting a fire to just about every goalscoring chart you can find since he started in the premier league. He is in pretty good company, and rightly so.

It's just weird not giving him the credit he deserves, even more so not championing him.

There is no striker in world football, that we can sign next summer, that will be an improvement on Lukaku. And I mean that. Aguero, Cavani, Werner, Kane, whoever you want to name.

This player will score bags of goals. Like any top striker. Put Kane in our team this year, I'd imagine he will have the same little droughts Lukaku did, our team is not providing consistent service and the striker is not the "star" in our team.

There is no improvement on Lukaku, who will only get better and better. SO I don't even fathom who you think could come in.

Unless people have a Kane hardon and just in their hate rate him better, so its end off

TheDoc wrote: »
    In your opinion.

In others, he already is.

I don't really know what people want. He has been putting a fire to just about every goalscoring chart you can find since he started in the premier league. He is in pretty good company, and rightly so.

It's just weird not giving him the credit he deserves, even more so not championing him.

There is no striker in world football, that we can sign next summer, that will be an improvement on Lukaku. And I mean that. Aguero, Cavani, Werner, Kane, whoever you want to name.

This player will score bags of goals. Like any top striker. Put Kane in our team this year, I'd imagine he will have the same little droughts Lukaku did, our team is not providing consistent service and the striker is not the "star" in our team.

There is no improvement on Lukaku, who will only get better and better. SO I don't even fathom who you think could come in.

Unless people have a Kane hardon and just in their hate rate him better, so its end off

lukaku is not in the same league as Kane, Suarez, Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Cavani, Aguero, he is a level below, ask 100 football fans id say 95% would agree

also, i have said loads of times he is a very good striker!!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Or you're just, you know reading waaaaay too much into it.

The way the manager discussed it hardly puts cold water on the fire to be honest.

Jose doesn't want to just move on from this. If he wanted to, its easily done. The way he discussed his absence from the game, like a big surprise, doctor informed him he was ill. Just came across as him not being happy at the situation. And not because Pogba was unavailable, like normal injury.

While I'm not frothing at the mouth over conspiracies, it does read to me, to be quintessential Jose. And dont be surprised for a few more articles or even himself having pop or two in upcoming press conferences.

• Advertisement

I can only imagine Jose has told Fellaini he'll have a further reduced role next year, and he's leaving for game time. I can appreciate that but also think he shouldn't be higher than a squad player next season...

It is a world cup year, and Fellaini is at best Plan B.

He is in no way shape or form part of a first team XI. And he definitly wont be after next summer.

As much time as I have for him, he is a niche player that we really need to move away from .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement