Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/965578417163948032

"Toni Kroos is Man United's top target for the midfield this summer, four years after Moyes had the very same deal tied up."

Word is that it was actually Van Gaal who cancelled the deal. We had him lined up in the summer Moyes arrived but the club was arse about tit unprepared to make any financial moves or signings of note as the expectation in the handover was no major business.

Woodward still kept the deal in place for the following summer, and Van Gaal apparently didn't want him. Knew him well, and seemingly didn't think he fit the profile of what he needed. So off to real he went.

And Real made one of the signings of <insert timeframe> . Twenty something million for one of, if not the, best midfielder in the world.

I'll absolutely take a heart attack if Kroos rocks up to Old Trafford. Unlike his mentor, has a class injury record and plays the game in a way totally different to others. So while tipping on 29, he is one of those that is going to play until 34-35 easily.

If I could put his brain into Pogba's body, holy ****. But considering thats not possible I'll consider having Kroos alongside him :D

Actually too excited even thinking about the prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Word is that it was actually Van Gaal who cancelled the deal. We had him lined up in the summer Moyes arrived but the club was arse about tit unprepared to make any financial moves or signings of note as the expectation in the handover was no major business.

Woodward still kept the deal in place for the following summer, and Van Gaal apparently didn't want him. Knew him well, and seemingly didn't think he fit the profile of what he needed. So off to real he went.

And Real made one of the signings of <insert timeframe> . Twenty something million for one of, if not the, best midfielder in the world.

I'll absolutely take a heart attack if Kroos rocks up to Old Trafford. Unlike his mentor, has a class injury record and plays the game in a way totally different to others. So while tipping on 29, he is one of those that is going to play until 34-35 easily.

If I could put his brain into Pogba's body, holy ****. But considering thats not possible I'll consider having Kroos alongside him :D

We are ABSOLUTELY not signing Toni Kroos.

Don't do it to yourself.

bangkok wrote: »
    lukaku is not in the same league as Kane, Suarez, Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Cavani, Aguero, he is a level below, ask 100 football fans id say 95% would agree

also, i have said loads of times he is a very good striker!!

Well, how do we objectively ask 100 fans who wont have bias at some level based on the team they support or their personal preference.

And thats kinda the point. By every available metric, charts, collection, Lukaku is in the mix with all the "best" strikers. I don't even buy people who say Kane is the best in the world to be honest. There is a clutch of amazing strikers around at the moment, but no one is above anyone else I don't believe.

Don't make me go dig out the Lukaku - The stats article.

Don't you make me do it.

We are ABSOLUTELY not signing Toni Kroos.

Don't do it to yourself.

I've already gone there......

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Well, how do we objectively ask 100 fans who wont have bias at some level based on the team they support or their personal preference.

And thats kinda the point. By every available metric, charts, collection, Lukaku is in the mix with all the "best" strikers. I don't even buy people who say Kane is the best in the world to be honest. There is a clutch of amazing strikers around at the moment, but no one is above anyone else I don't believe.

Don't you make me do it.

The likes of Kane, Aguero, Suarez etc. are obviously a cut above Lukaku.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Don't you make me do it.

even ask 100 United fans. if they are honest id still say 90-95%

On what planet is kross not an lvg player, that's mental I'd have thought he would been the exact type of player he would want.

Also your wrong about Lukakau :P

The likes of Kane, Aguero, Suarez etc. are obviously a cut above Lukaku.

Arguably they are. That doesn't reflect poorly on Lukaku IMO. If you put any of them in the current United team, I think they'd struggle to maintain the levels they've been reaching so far this season.

Remember last season when we were creating many chances per game (until around March), but struggled badly overall to convert them to goals? We aren't producing as many chances this season. It's going to be hard for a goalscorer to flourish in this situation.

If Lukaku was missing good chances regularly, or not contributing anything apart from his goals, I'd worry that he might not reach that level above where a handful of other strikers are currently operating. However, I think he's doing very well in a team where well-worked chances have not been plentiful.

I could go really TLDR on why I think Lukaku can and will do better. But in short we need other areas of the field to improve in order for Lukaku to be playing in a team where he can be at his most prolific. And therefore join those few other strikers who are operating a level above him. The likes of Kane, Aguero and Suarez who are playing in teams which are renowned for having a well-oiled attacking engine this season. We are not one of those teams right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lukaku would thrive if through balls like the two he got last game were more common. We're developing too much of a fondness for hoofing it up to him, seeing if he can win it. Or we've got the likes of Lingard and Martial trying to run through 3 defenders, rather than making those killer passes.

Make those passes into the box to Lukaku's feet and he'll score for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The way the manager discussed it hardly puts cold water on the fire to be honest.

Jose doesn't want to just move on from this. If he wanted to, its easily done. The way he discussed his absence from the game, like a big surprise, doctor informed him he was ill. Just came across as him not being happy at the situation. And not because Pogba was unavailable, like normal injury.

While I'm not frothing at the mouth over conspiracies, it does read to me, to be quintessential Jose. And dont be surprised for a few more articles or even himself having pop or two in upcoming press conferences.

Just on this and Jose’s interview, I thought it came across that he was a bit unhappy with the situation myself, but what I took from it was that he had a plan for the game, maybe try play Pogba into form and those plans got changed on the morning of the game. Now Pogba is going into the Sevilla game still out of form and recovering from an illness.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Just on this and Jose’s interview, I thought it came across that he was a bit unhappy with the situation myself, but what I took from it was that he had a plan for the game, maybe try play Pogba into form and those plans got changed on the morning of the game. Now Pogba is going into the Sevilla game still out of form and recovering from an illness.

i doubt there was much of an "illness" he did a full session on sunday morning

We were after fabergas and Tiago the year Moyes came in, we supposedly had an agreement around Feb of the following year and all set up for the summer and LVG said no apparently..

Now he would really complete the midfield.. matic as the DM, Kroos as the link and Pogba the creator..

*insert homer drool gif here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

i doubt there was much of an "illness" he did a full session on sunday morning

Is Paul telling you this?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is Paul telling you this?

Well im sure you knew as did everyone as Jose said he was starting in the left of a midfield 3 before the game, doctor told jose then he wasnt playing, and he made a full recovery to train sunday morning, so you dont need to be a doctor to realize it wasnt much of a sickness

no wonder so many people have left this thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

McTominay could easily become the Fletcher/Butt-esque type in midfield. Reliable and Consistent. Not flashy, never really gunna be in 1st XI but very valuble to the squad.

Butt was a level above the type you refer to and a first teamer for quite some time. He gets forgotten an awful lot in terms of how good he was due to who else we had.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Butt was a level above the type you refer to and a first teamer for quite some time. He gets forgotten an awful lot in terms of how good he was due to who else we had.

fletcher as well. great in the big games

Absolutely, just not for the reason you think

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

fletcher as well. great in the big games

I think Fletch could have been a lot better earlier if it weren't for that injury he got as a youngster. He became very reliable, very consistent. A great servant to the club for sure.

ozL1p6Q.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Arguably they are. That doesn't reflect poorly on Lukaku IMO. If you put any of them in the current United team, I think they'd struggle to maintain the levels they've been reaching so far this season.

Remember last season when we were creating many chances per game (until around March), but struggled badly overall to convert them to goals? We aren't producing as many chances this season. It's going to be hard for a goalscorer to flourish in this situation.

If Lukaku was missing good chances regularly, or not contributing anything apart from his goals, I'd worry that he might not reach that level above where a handful of other strikers are currently operating. However, I think he's doing very well in a team where well-worked chances have not been plentiful.

I could go really TLDR on why I think Lukaku can and will do better. But in short we need other areas of the field to improve in order for Lukaku to be playing in a team where he can be at his most prolific. And therefore join those few other strikers who are operating a level above him. The likes of Kane, Aguero and Suarez who are playing in teams which are renowned for having a well-oiled attacking engine this season. We are not one of those teams right now.

I agree with you for the most part, although I remain unconvinced that he can reach the level that we've seen from Aguero and Suarez etc.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lukaku would thrive if through balls like the two he got last game were more common. We're developing too much of a fondness for hoofing it up to him, seeing if he can win it. Or we've got the likes of Lingard and Martial trying to run through 3 defenders, rather than making those killer passes.

Make those passes into the box to Lukaku's feet and he'll score for fun.

The problem is better sides than Huddersfield won't be as open with such a high line. And weaker sides at OT will usually camp in front of their goal so there will be little space in which to play those passes for Lukaku to run on to. We need to move away from lumping it up to him though. It's painful to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Well im sure you knew as did everyone as Jose said he was starting in the left of a midfield 3 before the game, doctor told jose then he wasnt playing, and he made a full recovery to train sunday morning, so you dont need to be a doctor to realize it wasnt much of a sickness

post-8794-1403702267.gif

jayo26 wrote: »
    post-8794-1403702267.gif

you have joined the darkside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But you didn't believe the club before so why now?

But you didn't believe the club before so why now?

there is more going on that we are being told.

only last week Jose was having a dig at Pogba's family and agent...

Pogba tells some of the press in France he is not happy in his current role.

Subbed at Spurs and Newcastle and according to reports having a heated exchange with jose after the game.

Jose goes on a big rant saying the press and telling lies.

Pogba pulls out of huddersfield game with illness and posts it on twitter, he hopes to be back when he is "better"

does a full session sunday morning

everything is clearly not rosy between the 2 at the moment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Absolutely, just not for the reason you think*

Suggest*

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Subbed at Spurs and Newcastle and according to reports having a heated exchange with jose after the game.

Jose goes on a big rant saying the press and telling lies.

Pogba pulls out of huddersfield game with illness and posts it on twitter, he hopes to be back when he is "better"

does a full session sunday morning

everything is clearly not rosy between the 2 at the moment

Maybe he just wanted a rest and was granted said rest, take off the tin foil hat and stop looking for something that doesn't exist :P

I missed all of that. Not saying it didn't happen but it's the first I've heard of any of that. I'd be interested to hear more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone that thinks all is rosey between Mourinho and Pogba is delusional. I don't blame Mourinho being peed off with him, he is clearly better than his performances are reflecting. He should be able to play any midfield role he is tasked with by Mourinho. Problem is , Mourinho should have tackled this a year ago. If he had Butts attitude and consistency let alone Keane he would be a fantastic player. Looks like Pogba is in a sulking mood, hopefully he will cop on and put in the hard work that is required no matter how talented you are.
    We need all players to step up on the tough run in and hopefully a Cup win too :)

I missed all of that. Not saying it didn't happen but it's the first I've heard of any of that. I'd be interested to hear more.

the family and agent thing was discussed in here either last week or week before when Jose said...

He said: “I think this country produced a lot of amazing box-to-box players, I had the pleasure to coach some of them, but I think nowadays with some pundits, some agents, some family members, I think the concept of the box-to-box is changing a little bit"

L'Equipe then ran a story that Pogba was starting to regret his move working under Jose

After the newcastle game staff heard jose having a massive rant at Pogba and phil jones

the whole illness and tweet sent out for the huddersfield game as well just seemed fishy

forgot to add after the huddersfield game

"Honestly I think Scott deserves more than what he's getting," Mourinho said. "I think maybe it's because he is this kind of kid profile: a normal haircut, no tattoos, no big cars, no big watches, humble kid." Whoever could Mourinho be referring to? He can easily say it is not Pogba but he knows the connection will be made"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rumours of the 'Big Fella' on his way out this morning :(

My thoughts on bangkok and his reaction to this news of Big fell's imminent departure

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Pep going mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Training kits for next season

manchester-united-18-19-training-kit-4.jpg

manchester-united-18-19-training-kit-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hococop wrote: »
    Pep going mental

Media will say he is just showing some passion for the FA Cup

Be another letter sent to the FA in the morning stating you cannot book or send off City players

Finishing with ban Jose for six matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Media will say he is just showing some passion for the FA Cup

Be another letter sent to the FA in the morning stating you cannot book or send off City players

Finishing with ban Jose for six matches

Was almost funny the way Lineker brushed over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yet again media love for guardiola. Bbc change cameras immediately as guardiola goes to attack referee in tunnel then is excused at half time saying he has passion and high emotion. If that is Mourinho camera would stay on him and they would spend the 15 minutes of half time replaying it and saying he stepped too far and should be banned. such guardiola bias in the media at the minute

Could you imagine the uproar...

https://streamable.com/8tpwp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ahh it's only a bit of shouting lads.

I really don't know what he is angry about sure he is the one that asked for players to be protected from reckless challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

He ran at the ref in the tunnel, who knows what happened next, the camera changed. Could of knifed him for all we know.

#Passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'll be in Manc for work for the game. Gutted it's not at home but should be a bit of craic that evening all the same

• Advertisement

Pep just passionately telling the ref how good he is, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'll buy a Wigan shirt if they can knock this shower out tonight.

Ha is that Paul Cook having a go at him, actually didn’t know he was at Wigan..proper nutter, did brilliant at Sligo

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    He ran at the ref in the tunnel, who knows what happened next, the camera changed. Could of knifed him for all we know.

#Passion

Or worse, kicked a bottle....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Or worse, kicked a bottle....

Come on, he was telling the ref that Delph went over the top as he watched United play last week and they are nothing but flat track bullies. 10 month ban incoming for Jose!

Jose is at home in his hotel room( apartment I know Jayo!) watching This with a grin on his face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’ve stayed quiet on the perceived Jose v Pogba thing but I for one am delighted that Jose is putting digs into Pogba. Not sure if it was talked about here but Jose’s comment about McTominay having a normal haircut was funny.
    Pogba has been shíte lately so good enough for him to be called out on it. They’ll both get over it and be pals again soon hopefully when Pogba proves Jose right and puts in a shift.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’ve stayed quiet on the perceived Jose v Pogba thing but I for one am delighted that Jose is putting digs into Pogba. Not sure if it was talked about here but Jose’s comment about McTominay having a normal haircut was funny.
    Pogba has been shíte lately so good enough for him to be called out on it. They’ll both get over it and be pals again soon hopefully when Pogba proves Jose right and puts in a shift.

How is the haircut comment funny? Pogba has a lot of power in th dressing room. If players down tools like they did at chesea under mourinho there is only one loser and thats the manager

Brilliant!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Omg. Ha. Must not celebrate.

Will Griggs is on fire
    And your defence is terrified!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement