Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Discodog wrote: »
    I can imagine the Glazer's reaction when Pogba or any other player asks for a dinner date to discuss Jose.

When their most valuable and marketable asset wants to discuss the current team manager?

Honestly, what do you think the reaction would be? Cause in reality I could see it going either way - backing their manager or backing the most valuable and marketable asset.

I honestly could see Mourinho being the one to go if it came down to Jose or Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I honestly could see Mourinho being the one to go if it came down to Jose or Pogba.

Which is pathetic and shows where their priorities lie - marketing (the one thing the owners are actually good at) , not success. The club stands to get more success with Jose, not Pogba and it sets a bad precedent letting players dictate major things like who should be manager.

Success on the pitch isn’t as important to the owners as some people think. The value has shot up since SAF retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    So going back to the original point.... you think Jose needs to mind what he says incase Pogba does the same?

Of course he needs to mind what he says, especially in public. If the players all down tools, who do you think loses out?

Look what happened when he challenged Ronaldo at madrid as well

bangkok wrote: »
    Of course he needs to mind what he says, especially in public. If the players all down tools, who do you think loses out?

Pogba hasn’t been putting in world class performances. He’s not at that level and some of the hype that’s surrounded him is akin to David Beckham. A good solid player who was expertly marketed.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Which is pathetic and shows where their priorities lie - marketing (the one thing the owners are actually good at) , not success. The club stands to get more success with Jose, not Pogba and it sets a bad precedent letting players dictate major things like who should be manager.

Success on the pitch isn’t as important to the owners as some people think. The value has shot up since SAF retired.

You could also argue that if Jose can't get the best out of Pogba, he is not the manager United need long term - they need someone who can get the best out of one of the better players in world football.

Honestly, if Jose can't work out how to get the best out of the team, should the team be f**ked out?

Pogba hasn’t been putting in world class performances. He’s not at that level and some of the hype that’s surrounded him is akin to David Beckham. A good solid player who was expertly marketed.

100% disagree. Pogba is way more than a "good solid player". IMO he is one of the most talented footballers in football.

You could also argue that if Jose can't get the best out of Pogba, he is not the manager United need long term - they need someone who can get the best out of one of the better players in world football.

Honestly, if Jose can't work out how to get the best out of the team, should the team be f**ked out?
    100% disagree. Pogba is way more than a "good solid player". IMO he is one of the most talented footballers in football.

The talent is there with Pogba but the progression and performances haven’t matched that potential.

Jose has won everything, we know that, what has Pogba done that deserves your confidence?

Beckham was much more than a good solid player.

Pogba isnt been played to his strenghts. That is the managers issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Seems I missed a lolfest with that match last night.

• Advertisement

Beckham was much more than a good solid player.

Pogba isnt been played to his strenghts. That is the managers issue

What has Pogba done in his career that warrants him demanding to play in his preferred role? You can’t actually give any specific evidence that proves he deserves to be dictating tactics. You presume his potential is enough but forget how often SAF played top players out of position when the team required it. Jose has the closest success record to SAF as any manager available , yet you would blame the successful manager over the potentially top class player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »

If your on 40posts a page read from about page 105 :D

• TheDoc wrote: »

So did I, should be fun catching up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

You’ve given two examples of clubs who hire and fire managers for fun and basically admit the players are the primary concern. Granted Jose has been at both but there is nothing to suggest Pogba wouldn’t be turfed out if he really did incite a mutiny. In fact I’d prefer an all out war on player power at United even if it meant the wheels fall off in the short term. Allowing a player who will play for us for the next 10 years to dictate who manages the club is unthinkable. We don’t have the quality of players that Real have to survive that type of structure.

What has Pogba done in his career that warrants him demanding to play in his preferred role? You can’t actually give any specific evidence that proves he deserves to be dictating tactics. You presume his potential is enough but forget how often SAF played top players out of position when the team required it. Jose has the closest success record to SAF as any manager available , yet you would blame the successful manager over the potentially top class player?

Juventus[156]

Serie A: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
    Coppa Italia: 2014–15, 2015–16
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2013, 2015
    Manchester United[152]

EFL Cup: 2016–17
    UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
    France U20[157]

FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2013
    Individual

UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2010[158]
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Golden Ball: 2013[121]
    Golden Boy: 2013[159]
    Serie A Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16[160][161][162]
    FIFA World Cup Best Young Player: 2014[130]
    Bravo Award: 2014[70]
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2015[86]
    FIFA Ballon d'Or: 2015 – 5th place
    FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2015[87]
    FIFA FIFPro World XI 2nd team: 2016, 2017[163][164]
    FIFA FIFPro World XI 3rd team: 2014[165]
    ESM Team of the Year: 2015–16
    Serie A Top Assist-provider: 2015–16[89]
    UEFA Europa League Squad of the Season: 2016–17[166]
    UEFA Europa League Player of the Season: 2016–17[167]

We also signed him for a world record fee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

We're not seriously going to reopen the debate surrounding Becks are we?

Thought we all agreed he was just a slightly better looking Luke Chadwick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

TheDoc wrote: »

Apparently there’s an agenda against City :pac:

WTF was he bought at a world record price if if we needed him to be a different player to the one he is?

WTF does Jose play him in a role he isn't good at?

Maybe in time Jose can coach and manage him into being a quality defensive midfielder - but he hasn't done it yet and, really, do we want him to? Do we want him to have Pogba focusing on tracking runners and defending rather than using his technique, close control, vision, strength and footspeed to hurt the opposition?

I'm NOT saying Pogba doesn't ever need to track or tackle, he does, EVERYONE does. But it should not be a primary requirement of his role in the team - just as it shouldn't be the primary requirement of Mata when he is in the team, or Sanchez, or Martial or Lukaku.

If we want Pogba to impact the big games, we need to allow him room and responsibility to do so.

Jose's job is to get the best out of the team - the current formation and positioning of players is not doing that.

Get Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and Lukaku in the positions that all can do the most damage in, and work the rest of the team around that 4 to support them. Positioning Pogba to support Lingard is not the correct call, imo.

Its not about Pogba dictating tactics, it is about playing the best United side we can, which in reality has Pogba being played in his best position cause, just by chance, he is the best creative midfield threat we have.

Playing Pogba as a DM weakens us cause he isn't good at defending, at least not good enough to be relied on as an essential barrier to opposition attacks.

IMO, the best side United can play is Martial and Sanchez left and right of Lukaku. Matic and Herrera/Fellaini/McTominay acting as the protection to the back line, Pogba playing a more free role in central midfield helping defensively on the left side, but looking more at finding the spaces to take the ball from defense to attack and hurt the opposition.

Lingard is not better than him at bringing the ball forward, creating chances and relieving pressure.

Last nights after match posts were great fun. It’s so strange that when we lose, they come here, and when they lose, they come here.

It was all good fun in fairness, the few that came in couldn’t say too much in defense.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Last nights after match posts were great fun. It’s so strange that when we lose, they come here, and when they lose, they come here.

It was all good fun in fairness, the few that came in couldn’t say too much in defense.

They all come here. The Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal fans.
    Hated, adored and all that.

• GSPfan wrote: »

tenor.gif?itemid=10030312

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Eh, I don’t know. World record transfer for showing world class potential in his favoured position. Then gets played in a restricted role and people have forgotten how good the Juve Pogba was. Everton game he was played in his favoured position and destroyed them. He plays there for France too and puts in world class performances like against England. But yeah, why would we build a team to tailor to one of the most naturally gifted midfielders in the world just like the league leaders. He should be a CDM like Matic because he’s tall and strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

astradave wrote: »
    If your on 40posts a page read from about page 105 :D

Be quick & you mightn’t miss the guard of honour on derby day :)

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Be quick & you mightn’t miss the guard of honour on derby day :)

That was a quick 48 hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Anyone know what the Sky Sports match is on Saturday @3?

No need to worry, I’m actually done in this group after this. Just couldn’t resist that one. I’m only all about the banter but I can’t be bother reading the bile I’m goning to receive after that message :)

It won’t be believed, but best of luck tomorrow night! The more English teams do well in europe the better. Manchester European Derby would be great too.

Take care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭aj89

Anyone know what the Sky Sports match is on Saturday @3?

Burnley v Southampton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

No need to worry, I’m actually done in this group after this. Just couldn’t resist that one. I’m only all about the banter but I can’t be bother reading the bile I’m goning to receive after that message :)

It won’t be believed, but best of luck tomorrow night! The more English teams do well in europe the better. Manchester European Derby would be great too.

Take care!

giphy.gif

#Banter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

One extreme to another. Pogba is not dictating tactics, apparently he asked Jose to play in his preferred position/role.

If you are seriously asking what has Pogba done in his career to warrant anything, then you better do your homework. 3 times in team of the year in Serie A even when he was playing with great midfielders like Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio. FIFA team of the year and lot more than just potential.

If Jose is closest to SAF then you have forgotten who SAF was or saw different Jose to most.

Must be Pep thing.

Funny how these City fans sign up and talk about Manutd more than they do about City.

Either they are so butthurt because of all the years or these 10-12 year old kids read bluemoon and thought talking **** about United makes them hardcore bluezzzzzzzzz.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Funny how these City fans sign up and talk about Manutd more than they do about City.

Either they are so butthurt because of all the years or these 10-12 year old kids read bluemoon and thought talking **** about United makes them hardcore bluezzzzzzzzz.

:):):):):) 10-12 year old kids, Giggsy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

aj89 wrote: »
    Burnley v Southampton

Thanks a mil

:):):):):) 10-12 year old kids, Giggsy!

Hopefully you are just that. If not then you should have a word with yourself.

Hopefully you are just that. If not then you should have a word with yourself.

About what? Jeez why are people so touchy on this thread, always seem to resort to personal insults for no reason. Bet you you’re a barrel of laughs to have a pint with & talk about football. Just relax it’s only a game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I thought that fella said he was leaving. #Obsessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamocovic wrote: »
    We're not seriously going to reopen the debate surrounding Becks are we?

Thought we all agreed he was just a slightly better looking Luke Chadwick.

At least Luke can look at his Premier League winners medal unlike somebody who saw his slip away......sorry but I couldn't resist.

Seen this morning saying that the fan spat at aguero. Scummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Beckham was much more than just good solid player.

• Advertisement

Seen this morning saying that the fan spat at aguero. Scummy

Is there a video going around of it? Where did you hear it? Sorry but I’m quiet sceptical of your sources..

That’s not to say it didn’t happen now, I’m just interested in the source of the info, and yes if it did happen Aguero has every right to retaliate that scummy behaviour

Must be Pep thing.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

https://twitter.com/JElgott/status/965740507694583808

I'd be surprised if Aguero gets banned over this.

Umaro wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JElgott/status/965740507694583808

I'd be surprised if Aguero gets banned over this.

That shows a totally different story to what was shown on the tv last night

Seems a very convenient story that he was spat at. Best possible defence to striking a person with your forearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Probably be a SF mod around at some point today I suppose

Re, this alleged spit bangkok, any proof? There is video of the incident/assault so you would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to show the fan spitting. I haven't looked myself.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

That shows a totally different story to what was shown on the tv last night

Doesn't show a spit though,surely the tv angle with the non grainy ****e footage from last night will pick it up.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

De Vrij is leaving Lazio on free transfer this summer, Lazio sporting director confirmed.

We should sign him, very good ball playing CB and we missed the trick not signing him after 2014 world cup for just 10 million. Now it would be even better deal on a free transfer.

Btw, we should sign him if we offload any CB only.
    Would definitely be in favour of this, ship out smalling and bring him in, him alongside bailly/rojo or even all 3 would be quality

Doesn't show a spit, surely the tv angle with the non grainy ****e footage from last night will pick it up.

No, sure I don’t know whether believe that as it is one of those things that would come out to justify it, but it shows more where the fella comes from and that, it actually looks worse for Aguero in terms of lashing out but the bloke was a twat in fairness and deserved it..

No, sure I don’t know whether believe that as it is one of those things that would come out to justify it, but it shows more where the fella comes from and that, it actually looks worse for Aguero in terms of lashing out but the bloke was a twat in fairness and deserved it..

What do you mean? He obviously came from the stands like :) Sure most of the stands ended up on the pitch

I find it very convenient, I am not saying it definitely isn't true, just remains to be seen and with the camera angle last night and the zoom they can achieve it shouldn't be tough to pick it up.

The guy could have got in his face and called him a ****, he could have told him to **** back to Argentina or he could have said hahahaha can't win em all bai

We won't know, but we will surely know if he spat as the cameras are very good at picking things up these days.

All we see right now is a fan getting in his face, looks like words are exchanged and then Aguero lashes out at him, striking him. He also goes to follow up and has to be restrained.

I honestly don’t buy the story that a fan who was probably high on life at that point went up to aguero to spit in his face. It looks like he ran up to rub the win in his face. In that exchange he is close enough for spit to splatter on his face in the normal way spit sometimes leaves your mouth when talking but to go up to him and spit seems far fetched.

I myself would have loved to thump him regardless of the spit but Aguero should be in trouble. If kissing a badge in front of a crowd got Gary Neville a fine I can only imagine what hitting a fan during a pitch invasion would be classed as.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement