Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The only picture I have seen so far showing the 'spit' looks to me like it is actually the 'Nike' sign on the person's jacket rather than spit.

Anyway. The fan should be banned and the player should be banned. At the least, it is violent conduct on the football pitch which would be a three game ban.

Pep should also get a ban for his half time behaviour.

City fans should be banned (if they can be identified) and the club fined (for failing to control their fans) for the stadium getting ripped up and stuff thrown at police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be honest I feel for Aguero. We are all human. Person starts taunting you then you react.

I guess if I defend Cantona I be hypocrite to not do same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is the match on Irish TV tonight? Rte website saying they're showing the Chelsea Barcelona game tonight and showing our second leg next Wednesday.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I feel for him too, but **** him tbh. If it was a United player I'd feel for him too but he would still deserve punishment.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I feel for him too, but **** him tbh. If it was a United player I'd feel for him too but he would still deserve punishment.

Ya he does, but it would not have happened had their been better Stewarding Etc. Not really trying defend him but it would I always try blame the person who starts it more.

But he be punished alright like you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

nullzero wrote: »
    Is the match on Irish TV tonight? Rte website saying they're showing the Chelsea Barcelona game tonight and showing our second leg next Wednesday.

I should hope not as we are playing tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Probably be a SF mod around at some point today I suppose

Re, this alleged spit bangkok, any proof? There is video of the incident/assault so you would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to show the fan spitting. I haven't looked myself.

Video was posted above. It was the journalist tha said hewas spat on. You would never see it in that grainy video but the way aguero reacted i wouldnt be surprised

Punished for what?

astradave wrote: »
    I should hope not as we are playing tomorrow

And RTÉ are showing it along with BT

Edit: Woops presses reply instead of edit, I’m not talking to myself :D

That fan reportedly told Aguero that people on boards were saying Lukakua was as good as him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And RTÉ are showing it along with BT

And bein :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    Punished for what?

I'm afraid I don't have enough time to play your games at the moment.

Edit: Ah hell I'll be a couple of minutes late :)

Q. Punished for what?
    A. What he did.

Doing it right?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Punished for what?

Striking out at a fan.
    Striking out at someone on the football pitch.

Whichever you want.

You might find reason to understand his reaction - but that shouldn't preclude punishment for striking out. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The fan should be banned from the stadium and Aguero should be banned for striking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

My mistake, was looking at the sky app this morning and it was saying we were playing tonight, now saying it's tomorrow.

Glazers Out!

Punished for what?

Come on mate if he swing his arm at another player in the game he gets a 3 game auto ban no matter what the other player did to him that's standard rules just because it was a fan doesn't mean he can retaliate even if the fan did say something him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ah lads he won’t be going to jail or anything so I wouldn’t be feeling anything but laughter if he gets punished. The fan got a slap which was deserved and Aguero will get a 3 to 5 game ban if we are lucky.

Wigan should be in trouble aswell. I hate pitch invasions. All the years on the Hill I never went on the pitch. I was delighted when the plastic walls went up. I actually thought Wigan blocked off a few rows of seats last night to prevent fans invading. Anyone know why they had empty seats in an FA Cup tie against City? (Jokes aside)

If that happened to aguero on the street the police would praise him. Some random lad coming up and spitting/taunting you.

And as the "striking out" seriously lads that was nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

He could have been killed.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Come on mate if he swing his arm at another player in the game he gets a 3 game auto ban no matter what the other player did to him that's standard rules just because it was a fan doesn't mean he can retaliate even if the fan did say something him.

In th game yea, this is totally different.

https://youtu.be/T4ABVVvPlr0

Thats what you call striking a fan

• Advertisement

If that happened to aguero on the street the police would praise him. Some random lad coming up and spitting/taunting you.

It didnt happen on the street tho it happened on a football pitch. It was nothing yes but you are not allowed do what he did.

You can swing it anyway you want but he still swung his arm out at a fan.

They wouldn’t. Also.... as of now the spitting thing is totally imaginary so don’t be using it to justify anything.

Serious question bangkok.... Even if you agree with what Aguero did are you not happy with the thought of him getting a ban, as a United fan?

In th game yea, this is totally different.

https://youtu.be/T4ABVVvPlr0

Thats what you call striking a fan

Stop talking bullsh1t Bangkok he bloody swung his arm out at a fan then went chasing him and had to be restrained he is a multimilionair professional footballer that can't do that kind of thing

You can throw up as many videos as you want of stuff that happened 30 year ago but that don't make it grand what he did.

Personally myself I don't care if he gets banned or not it makes no difference to United but I'd enjoy it all the same.

GSPfan wrote: »
    They wouldn’t. Also.... as of now the spitting thing is totally imaginary so don’t be using it to justify anything.

Serious question bangkok.... Even if you agree with what Aguero did are you not happy with the thought of him getting a ban, as a United fan?

If we were in a title race then yes i would like a ban to help our chances, but they are 16 clear makes no difference to us and very litte in in so no i wouldnt like to see him banned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I agree with you on a lot of things but can't with this.

Right now I'm taking both the allegations that the fan spit at him and that he punched the fan as what they are, allegations. I've failed to see any concrete video or picture but maybe some others have found some.

Even it was a case that the fan taunted or have spat on him, if he struck back with violence he will see a ban, fan will be punished too. As for if this was on the streets? I think if the Gardaí saw me punching a guy it wouldn't matter if I complained that he had taunted me or spat at me, I'd be doing so as they would be putting me in the back of the car. That sort of excuse wouldn't even fly for children in school.

Anyway, I won't be wrapped up too much into the final decision. City won't be losing the title now at this point so won't lose any sleep on whether or not Aguero receives a ban.

If we were in a title race then yes i would like a ban to help our chances, but they are 16 clear makes no difference to us and very litte in in so no i wouldnt like to see him banned

If he gets an 8 game ban then it looks like he would miss our game!

Regardless, it puts strain on their squad for a potential Champions League meeting with us too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I see some City fans have recovered from last nights trauma.

Self-defence is a legal doctrine which says that a person may use reasonable force in the defence of themself or another.[1] This defence arises both from common law and the Criminal Law Act 1967. Self-defence is a justification rather than an excuse, that is, the defence says that the person's actions were not a crime at all.

Wow a copy and paste from Wiki!

/thread

Wow a copy and paste from Wiki!

/thread

Its a copy and paste from british law :)

Self-defence is a legal doctrine which says that a person may use reasonable force in the defence of themself or another.[1] This defence arises both from common law and the Criminal Law Act 1967. Self-defence is a justification rather than an excuse, that is, the defence says that the person's actions were not a crime at all.

It’s not a criminal act to shout curse words into a camera but the FA still ban you. He is not going to be charged with anything by the police. He will be charged by the FA though. Hopefully for a lonnnnnnnnnng time. Ha.

3 games at best I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I be honest I feel for Aguero. We are all human. Person starts taunting you then you react.

I guess if I defend Cantona I be hypocrite to not do same here.

I was fully correct in what I did and would do it again. :)

It’s not a criminal act to shout curse words into a camera but the FA still ban you. He is not going to be charged with anything by the police. He will be charged by the FA though. Hopefully for a lonnnnnnnnnng time. Ha.

3 games at best I say.

Aguero was defending himself. Anyway whatever happens,happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Fairly certain for something to classify as self defence it must not be a greater force than what is being defended. Hence the use of reasonable. If what we are hearing is true, I wouldn't think swinging a punch is proportionate to getting taunted (or spat at as some seem to be speculating). The argument can only be used when someone is an active threat to your wellbeing also.

I completely get him losing his head. Majority of us probably would too. But just because we understand or can sympathise doesn't mean he will or should escape further punishment. If what we have heard is true he more than likely will face a ban, more so on the grounds that the FA don't want their star players behaving in this manner.

Criminal Law Acts wont come into this either. This is a footballing action and decision. Whether or not he will get a ban is up to the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Football is governed by it's own laws on top of those of the state. Your copy and paste job sets out the case for him not to be charged by the police. The laws of the game means he will likely face an FA charge of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So when a player is planning to join a club is there a job description as part of the contract?

Is there the equivalent of an interview?

For example would Pogba of been aware of what Jose wants before he signed?

NO ONE IS SAYING HE SHOULD GO TO PRISON.

Discodog wrote: »
    So when a player is planning to join a club is there a job description as part of the contract?

No

No

Maybe

He could have been.

It could be United promised him the stars and the moon to get him through the door. We don't know.

I would imagine there were discussions between the pair prior to signing - you could also argue that if Carrick and Fellaini were fit, or Herrera not sh1t for most of the season we could see Pogba playing in a midfield setting he'd prefer, and that his 'demotion' to defensive midfielder is as a result of injuries and lack of form of others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Basic examples

Mata or Herrera?
    Lingard of McTominay?

Who do you want in your team right now?

Maybe Pogba in midfield is worth it right now to have a better attacker over a poor midfielder.

Next season if it become Mata or Pogba as the midfield option is so strong then Pogba will get what suits him best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's not job description but usually players talks to coaches and see how the manager can convince them and how they sell their plan.

I'm guessing discussion would be on how the coach sees the player and what role he will be playing in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

DM_7 wrote: »
    Basic examples

Mata or Herrera?
    Lingard of McTominay?

Who do you want in your team right now?

Maybe Pogba in midfield is worth it right now to have a better attacker over a poor midfielder.

Next season if it become Mata or Pogba as the midfield option is so strong then Pogba will get what suits him best.

Well, considering we don't have Mata playing CM, him or Herrera isn't a question that needs to be asked. When Mata plays (from the start) it is from wide right, not central midfield.

The options are:

Lingard
    Pogba
    Matic

or

Pogba-Matic-McTominay

or

Pogba-Carrick-Matic

or

Pogba-Matic-Herrera.

On paper, from the start of the season, I would have said Pogba-Matic-Herrera but Herrera doesn't deserve a first team spot this season.

Right now I could go Pogba-Matic-McTominay. (With Marital left, Lukaku centre and Sanchez right).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Well, considering we don't have Mata playing CM, him or Herrera isn't a question that needs to be asked. When Mata plays (from the start) it is from wide right, not central midfield.

The options are:

Lingard
    Pogba
    Matic

or

Pogba-Matic-McTominay

or

Pogba-Carrick-Matic

or

Pogba-Matic-Herrera.

On paper, from the start of the season, I would have said Pogba-Matic-Herrera but Herrera doesn't deserve a first team spot this season.

Right now I could go Pogba-Matic-McTominay. (With Marital left, Lukaku centre and Sanchez right).

While on paper most fans want that front three for all the potential there is for flair and goals, I still think the only time we've shown any cohesive attacking play in recent times is with Mata present.

Also, I'm not too gone on McTominay yet tbh. Has a poor first touch and plenty of floaty wayward passes but that could be down to nerves and inexperience yet. Plus the alternatives are Herrera who you've pointed out hasn't played weel enough to deserve a place and then Carrick who along with Matic could leave us short of legs in there.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    While on paper most fans want that front three for all the potential there is for flair and goals, I still think the only time we've shown any cohesive attacking play in recent times is with Mata present.

Also, I'm not too gone on McTominay yet tbh. Has a poor first touch and plenty of floaty wayward passes but that could be down to nerves and inexperience yet. Plus the alternatives are Herrera who you've pointed out hasn't played weel enough to deserve a place and then Carrick who along with Matic could leave us short of legs in there.

I don't think we have given that front three a proper chance, to be honest.

As for McTominay, I agree. But I wouldn't trust Carrick fitness wise and I think Herrera may be injured. If he is fit I would bring him in and hope he remembers how to play football.

NO ONE IS SAYING HE SHOULD GO TO PRISON.

Speak for yourself. I think they should at least give him a suspended sentence.

Ah wait.... all the City fans left and even bangkok gave up the fight. Never mind, it’s not fun anymore.

• Classic bangkok! :P

It's a fun read tbf

Speak for yourself. I think they should at least give him a suspended sentence.

Ah wait.... all the City fans left and even bangkok gave up the fight. Never mind, it’s not fun anymore.

How do you distinguish :):)

jayo26 wrote: »
    How do you distinguish :):)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

WTF was he bought at a world record price if if we needed him to be a different player to the one he is?

WTF does Jose play him in a role he isn't good at?

Maybe in time Jose can coach and manage him into being a quality defensive midfielder - but he hasn't done it yet and, really, do we want him to? Do we want him to have Pogba focusing on tracking runners and defending rather than using his technique, close control, vision, strength and footspeed to hurt the opposition?

I'm NOT saying Pogba doesn't ever need to track or tackle, he does, EVERYONE does. But it should not be a primary requirement of his role in the team - just as it shouldn't be the primary requirement of Mata when he is in the team, or Sanchez, or Martial or Lukaku.

If we want Pogba to impact the big games, we need to allow him room and responsibility to do so.

Jose's job is to get the best out of the team - the current formation and positioning of players is not doing that.

Get Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and Lukaku in the positions that all can do the most damage in, and work the rest of the team around that 4 to support them. Positioning Pogba to support Lingard is not the correct call, imo.

Its not about Pogba dictating tactics, it is about playing the best United side we can, which in reality has Pogba being played in his best position cause, just by chance, he is the best creative midfield threat we have.

Playing Pogba as a DM weakens us cause he isn't good at defending, at least not good enough to be relied on as an essential barrier to opposition attacks.

IMO, the best side United can play is Martial and Sanchez left and right of Lukaku. Matic and Herrera/Fellaini/McTominay acting as the protection to the back line, Pogba playing a more free role in central midfield helping defensively on the left side, but looking more at finding the spaces to take the ball from defense to attack and hurt the opposition.

Lingard is not better than him at bringing the ball forward, creating chances and relieving pressure.

Fergie played players in roles that weren't their best, Rooney had to play out of position for years and didn't whinge or throw a strop. Why do you feel its ok for Pogba to not try hard to perform a role the manager asks ?

The manager feels he needs Pogba to play in a defencive role right now, do you think Pogba is doing whats best for the team or that hes only interested in playing in his preferred position ? Do you really think Jose would play Pogba in a deeper role if he didn't think he could do it ?

I am not saying I wouldn't prefer Pogba to play in a more advanced role that suits him. I am saying I don't want any player dictating tactics or their position to United manager.

I don't believe Pogba has been as effective as he could be and I fear his temperament and lack of team ethic could be an issue. I mean he left United under SAF because he was demanding to start and massive wages. There is little to suggest he is a team player believing that the team would be better served with him up front. Looks like a player throwing the toys out of the pram, not giving it everything to do what the team needs and getting punished for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The options are:

Lingard
    Pogba
    Matic

or

Pogba-Matic-McTominay

or

Pogba-Carrick-Matic

or

Pogba-Matic-Herrera.

The reason I compare Mata to a CM is because of quality. Can United get more quality on the ball by playing a Mata instead of Herrera or McTominay.

If Pogba plays with Matic then United can get somwone who should be a much better player at CM (Pogba) and Mata in the team.

Matic and Pogba together should be good enough v Newcastle. Mata or Lingard can drop back to make an extra midfield player.

I can see merit is having Pogba deeper to take the ball from defenders and get the ball moving to a guy like Mata where he can do damage. With McTominay getting the ball deep, can he get it to Pogba?

Next season, that can change if a new player comes into midfield.

Also, my intital thought/hope going into the season was Herrera, Matic and Pogba.

But now I see reasons to change that and look for more quality while the midfield options are, for lack of a better term, poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement