Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s a bit of a red-herring to accuse a modern footballer of being “pampered”, “self-publicising”, or “self-obsessed”.

Ronaldo is arguably all three, but he is also one of the hardest working professionals in sport.

I suspect that Paul Pogba works exceptionally hard on his game and is a consumate professional; some of the slurs that have been bandied about misrepresent him I reckon.

Who said Pogba doesn't work hard as a professional ? I am not really sure how you managed to make that leap from what I said.

I think most modern footballers at the major clubs are “pampered”, “self-publicising”, or “self-obsessed” because of the world that they live. It would be hard not to be in all fairness but Pogba does enjoy courting publicity. I don't see these statements as slurs, just a matter of fact and they are hardly vicious.

The reason they are important is because somebody said "why don't you want to know Pogba's side of the story"? And its because players priority is always themselves and they can underperform at the teams expense and blame a manager. A manager doesn't have that luxury because its clear that fans will support big players over a manager, so I don't see why a manager would go out of their way to play a top player out of position if they didn't think it was best for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Drumpot wrote: »
    It’s a bit of a red-herring to accuse a modern footballer of being “pampered”, “self-publicising”, or “self-obsessed”.

Ronaldo is arguably all three, but he is also one of the hardest working professionals in sport.

I suspect that Paul Pogba works exceptionally hard on his game and is a consumate professional; some of the slurs that have been bandied about misrepresent him I reckon.

Who said Pogba doesn't work hard as a professional ? I am not really sure how you managed to make that leap from what I said.

I think most modern footballers at the major clubs are “pampered”, “self-publicising”, or “self-obsessed” because of the world that they live.

There’s an inference that somehow the modern “pampered self-obsessed” footballer isn’t as hard-working as he should be.

Ronaldo, for example, blows that narrative out of the water.

It’s the lowest form of Giles-esque analysis predicated on jealousy that these guys make far more money than most people.

None of the above is necessarily aimed at you, Drumpot.

There’s an inference that somehow the modern “pampered self-obsessed” footballer isn’t as hard-working as he should be.

Ronaldo, for example, blows that narrative out of the water.

It’s the lowest form of Giles-esque analysis predicated on jealousy that these guys make far more money than most people.

None of the above is necessarily aimed at you, Drumpot.

I agree, I wouldn't question the work put in by most players at the top levels, particularly Ronaldo. My issues with players are normally related to temperament and character , Ronaldo Included, cause he can be a sulky bollox in games at times.

Incidentally, at the risk of pissing many people off here, I always felt Rooney was as good as Ronaldo and that the work rate you mention (and possibly his physique and falling out with SAF) was the only reason Rooney never reached those peaks. People always think I am insulting the man, I just think he was exceptional , peaked early and stopped progressing far too young. I really believe he was talented enough to be spoken of in the same light as Messi and Ronaldo but for whatever reason it didn't pan out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sergio will not be punished seemingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »

The Wigan fan certainly will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Last night was much more fun.

Drumpot, I agree with you. I believe that Rooney had the raw materials to be as good as anyone, but his lack of professionalism in terms of lifestyle cost him the chance of being truly great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GSPfan wrote: »
    Last night was much more fun.

I love how I learned the media hates City and Pep but loves United & Jose

That’s just from City’s side of things. Which was blatantly obvious. As if they were going to punish him.

Actually it seems like Sky are saying in a seperate article that the FA won’t be punishing him. Lol. Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That’s just from City’s side of things. Which was blatantly obvious. As if they were going to punish him.

Actually it seems like Sky are saying in a seperate article that the FA won’t be punishing him. Lol. Typical.

They just reminded him of his responsibilities :pac: wtf is that.. “you’re responsible for not hitting people”

astradave wrote: »
    They just reminded him of his responsibilities :pac: wtf is that.. “you’re responsible for not hitting people”

“You are responsible for ensuring that Jose Mourinho is the most hated man in football. Stop hitting people Sergio. You’re making our job really hard.”

Lads, while i have the carpet up does anyone need anything else swept under it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Maybe mourinho is trying to work on his concentration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Quelle surprise

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You are responsible for ensuring that Jose Mourinho is the most hated man in football. Stop hitting people Sergio. You’re making our job really hard.”

That's half of what it boils down to. The other half is that Manchester United are objectively the most hated/disliked team among 'neutral' fans of the Premier League.

The two together are the perfect marriage, the perfect storm of hate for a rival fan.

It doesn't make it any less easy on the eyes/ears, but the huge bias against United which goes from the media down to neutrals/rivals should be absolutely no surprise to us.

I'll say one thing positive about it though; It has helped me to recognise some truly genuine, good posters among the rivals and neutrals. To be able to dislike United and/or Mourinho but remain objective and level-headed while posting in this climate is an underrated quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Feels great though doesn't it, Christ when I think back. I had Liverpool fans starting to express sympathy with me.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

So no punishment for Aguero just as i expected and had been saying all morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

With Pogba, as I've said previously, City play with De Bruyne and Silva in front of Fernandinho. This is not a defensive midfield and yet they give up very few chances and generally control the game to an incredible degree. There's no reason why Pogba couldn't play as one of the 2 in front of a DM. He was doing it fine at the start of the season.

The problem is that he has shown a lot less effort and commitment in a lot of recent games. His willingness to get on the ball, press opponents and general work ethic are down from the start of this season and the entirety of last season, though he did show it on occasion last season. I'd honestly like to see how a Mata and Pogba duo would work in front of Matic. Jose won't try it but it would mirror City's very successful approach and make it more like United were playing at the beginning of the season.

bangkok wrote: »

source.gif

source.gif

yep it feels good when you are fighting your corner against 5 or 6 lads and it turns out you are correct

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And of it had been a United player he'd have been charged, just as aguero (and pep) should have been.

Will look forward to the next time a player reacts to provocation in a match. No ban if its its a justifiable reaction, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

yep it feels good when you are fighting your corner against 5 or 6 lads and it turns out you are correct

:D:D

It doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be punished tho.

VW 1 wrote: »
    It doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be punished tho.

He doesnt.

He doesnt.

Yeah, throw slaps at people and have to be dragged away, it's fine.

And of it had been a United player he'd have been charged, just as aguero (and pep) should have been.

Will look forward to the next time a player reacts to provocation in a match. No ban if its its a justifiable reaction, apparently.

Under the same circumstances no, no player would have been charged.

In regard pep, what happened in the tunnel happens in most tunnels every week there is just no cameras there to record it.

Why do you think united denied city them putting a camera in the old trafford tunnel? Jose barging in the city dressing room door after the game, would have been all over every news channel. Cameras should never be in the tunnels like they were last night imo

Yeah, throw slaps at people and have to be dragged away, it's fine.

Throwing slaps.. please

He was defending himself like any human being would.

Anyway he didnt get a ban. Case closed

Under the same circumstances no, no player would have been charged.

In regard pep, what happened in the tunnel happens in most tunnels every week there is just no cameras there to record it.

Why do you think united denied city them putting a camera in the old trafford tunnel? Jose barging in the city dressing room door after the game, would have been all over every news channel. Cameras should never be in the tunnels like they were last night imo

Are you saying that United predicted the way the game and result would go, and prevented City from filming their highfalutin 'Rise of Peps City' documentary because of this precognition?

Throwing slaps.. please

I've not argued he was unjustified. I argued violent conduct is supposed to be a zero tolerance issue - now it isn't.

Good thing he didn't kick a water bottle a few yards down the touch line. Or swear into a camera. Cause they'd be nanning offences.

Are you saying that United predicted the way the game and result would go, and prevented City from filming their highfalutin 'Rise of Peps City' documentary because of this precognition?

No because it happens in a lot of games, far worse than happened last night and if there are no cameras there is less chance of punishment

Ah lads move on were never gonna agree on it and it's not even interesting debate.

• Advertisement

I've not argued he was unjustified. I argued violent conduct is supposed to be a zero tolerance issue - now it isn't.

Good thing he didn't kick a water bottle a few yards down the touch line. Or swear into a camera. Cause they'd be nanning offences.

Both aggressive acts in the eyes if the fa.

Aguero was defending himself from harm

Much as it pains me to say it, there’s no way that Aguero should have been banned for that. In any event, it was handbags, but the yahoo was the one who had invaded the pitch; in this day and age, who’s to say that he wasn’t there to murder Aguero. Plus we’ve no idea what the guy said to Aguero. My sympathy lies with Aguero who is the wronged party.

Both aggressive acts in the eyes if the fa.

Aguero was defending himself from harm

What harm? Harmful words? Aguero was the one that got physical.

No because it happens in a lot of games, far worse than happened last night and if there are no cameras there is less chance of punishment

You are now moving those goalposts, no surprise, as well as taking that widely-reported tunnel incident at Old Trafford as 'just the usual thing in football'.

City are in the midst of producing a £10m documentary for Amazon TV. I do not for one minute blame United for denying them access to film their pedestal-cementing documentary within our club grounds.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/manchester-united-block-amazon-film-crew-filming-man-city-behind-the-scenes-at-old-trafford-for-documentary-36386997.html

To suggest that it was because United envisioned a battle behind the scenes lead by Jose and a marauding, bare-chested Marcus Rojo is ludicrous.

What harm? Harmful words? Aguero was the one that got physical.

The guy slapping his head, then the "person" that spat in his face and shouted some stuff that will not be repeated in here

You are now moving those goalposts, no surprise, as well as taking that widely-reported tunnel incident at Old Trafford as 'just the usual thing in football'.

City are in the midst of producing a £10m documentary for Amazon TV. I do not for one minute blame United for denying them access to film their pedestal-cementing documentary within our club grounds.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/manchester-united-block-amazon-film-crew-filming-man-city-behind-the-scenes-at-old-trafford-for-documentary-36386997.html

To suggest that it was because United envisioned a battle behind the scenes lead by Jose and a marauding, bare-chested Marcus Rojo is ludicrous.

What you on about moving goalposts. I answered your question

Throwing slaps.. please

Yeh, it’s not like he was kicking a bottle of water aggressively ! Thank god that savagery was stamped out of the game.

The guy slapping his head, then the "person" that spat in his face and shouted some stuff that will not be repeated in here

Have you got a quote, or a link to a quote on what he said?

Or did Sergio text you after to let you know?

I can't tell if this is the Wigan thread or Man Citys thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I can't tell if this is the Wigan thread or Man Citys thread?

Wigan.

Yea whatever. Im done with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

No lads it was Matas dad who told him what was said.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Wigan.

I thought it was the “The English FA and English media have a bias against Man United.... Discuss” thread...

Yea whatever. Im done with it

You're also they only link I've seen to the alleged spitting.

Probably best you give up talking about it unless you're going to substantiate your claims.

Probably best you give up talking about it unless you're going to substantiate your claims.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/20/manchester-city-to-seek-explanation-from-wigan-athletic-for-pitch-invasion-fa-cup

• Advertisement

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    No lads it was Matas dad who told him what was said.

Sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In fairness there's a guardian article saying Aguero claims he was spat on and told to suck his dick.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/20/manchester-city-to-seek-explanation-from-wigan-athletic-for-pitch-invasion-fa-cup

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Aguero claims he was spat on and told to suck his dick.

Jose should of claimed the same when he kicked the bottle and got the touch line ban... “I’m telling you , that bottle spat at me and told me to suck it’s dick!”.

Whose dick, Aguero’s (a la Prince, allegedly) or the yahoo’s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Jose should of claimed the same when he kicked the bottle and got the touch line ban... “I’m telling you , that bottle spat at me and told me to suck it’s dick!”.
    Not sure it made much difference.

To be honest the whole thing is a giant mess and I'm not surprised the FA are happy to sweep it under the carpet.

I'd like to believe that there would be the same outcome if it was united and one of our players but maybe I'm being naive as most appear to think otherwise.

Either way, I hope José isn't sitting at home sulking about how everyone is out to get him and is concentrating on tomorrow's game instead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement