Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

@bangkok

Even you have to realise the reason we were all being outraged last night was to wind up the visitors to the thread? Then you have to realise we were all expecting it to be swept under the carpet as it always is for non United players?

Nobody was shocked, and saying you were “right” is wrong as you were arguing what he deserves not what he will get. You will find everyone else probably have posts saying it will get overlooked but we were enjoying the possibility of him either being banned or being proven right that the FA treat other teams lightly.

I swear I really don’t believe you actually support United as you don’t seem to enjoy any of it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Not sure it made much difference.

To be honest the whole thing is a giant mess and I'm not surprised the FA are happy to sweep it under the carpet.

I'd like to believe that there would be the same outcome if it was united and one of our players but maybe I'm being naive as most appear to think otherwise.

Either way, I hope José isn't sitting at home sulking about how everyone is out to get him and is concentrating on tomorrow's game instead.

i would hope he is in the United hotel in Sevilla

GSPfan wrote: »
    Nothing, and no one will ever talk about it. Now if it was a United player reacting to an abusive fan in a violent way then I’m sure he’d be banned for a long time.

Look lads, This was my post last night about Aguero which I posted before any of ya’s. I was right. Winning.

@bangkok

Even you have to realise the reason we were all being outraged last night was to wind up the visitors to the thread? Then you have to realise we were all expecting it to be swept under the carpet as it always is for non United players?

Nobody was shocked, and saying you were “right” is wrong as you were arguing what he deserves not what he will get. You will find everyone else probably have posts saying it will get overlooked but we were enjoying the possibility of him either being banned or being proven right that the FA treat other teams lightly.

I swear I really don’t believe you actually support United as you don’t seem to enjoy any of it at all.

ok

i can support united without being childish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

bangkok wrote: »
    i would hope he is in the United hotel in Sevilla
    Well apparently it doesn't matter cause we are all just having the craic winding up the City fans.

Proper banter!

bangkok wrote: »
    ok

i can support united without being childish

How about trying it? Just for a few days? You might enjoy it?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well apparently it doesn't matter cause we are all just having the craic winding up the City fans.

Proper banter!

Untwist your knickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why anyone would bother their hole actually trying to rationally argue anything with Bangkok is beyond me you know. Futility of the highest order.

Anywho nobody expected aguero to be disciplined surely, I mean it's not like he cursed or anything mad.

You also can't criticise pep for his passion, not like he kicked a water bottle or anything ridiculously violent like that

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Why anyone would bother their hole actually trying to rationally argue anything with Bangkok is beyond me you know. Futility of the highest order.

It’s fascinating to me. I usually don’t debate United stuff but the Aguero thing has been good fun. I’ll be back to my quietly infuriated self tomorrow when we are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Why anyone would bother their hole actually trying to rationally argue anything with Bangkok is beyond me you know.

People just don’t get it.

• Advertisement

Always been an admirer of Willian.

Get in Willian!

What a goal willian

Always been an admirer of Willian.

Will I An Not?

Anywho nobody expected aguero to be disciplined surely, I mean it's not like he cursed or anything mad.

You also can't criticise pep for his passion, not like he kicked a water bottle or anything ridiculously violent like that

Dont bother anymore so

If Chelsea can just get 4 more they should be able to go to the Nou Camp and get to extra time.

I swear if Chelsea can eject Barcelona out of this competition I think the idea of winning it with Barca and possibly PSG out would go from unthinkable to possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

If Chelsea can just get 4 more they should be able to go to the Nou Camp and get to extra time.

Keyword being IF there, also I'd say Conte has PSG's collapse from a season ago in mind..

Never mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I swear if Chelsea can eject Barcelona out of this competition I think the idea of winning it with Barca and possibly PSG out would go from unthinkable to possible.

This is the first Chelsea game I’ve sat down to watch since they last played United. Given their poor league form, it’s easy to forget what a really good first team they have!

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is the first Chelsea game I’ve sat down to watch since they last played United. Given their poor league form, it’s easy to forget what a really good first team they have!

Ahhhh you jinxed it.

Ahhhh you jinxed it.

Had barely text “post” and Messi scored!!!

Fun while it lasted I suppose, just as I got to sit down in front of the telly they scored

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Fun while it lasted I suppose, just as I got to sit down in front of the telly they scored

Shame cause 1-0 going to the Bernebau would of been very interesting....

Would be nice to see goofy McNashers get his marching orders just to shake things up!

Love this time of year for football. I watch more neutral games as the competitons are in the later stages. It’s been an enjoyable two nights of football.

Back to reality tomorrow. :)

Would be nice to see goofy McNashers get his marching orders just to shake things up!

Going to the Bernabeu when the game is in Barcelona would definitely be interesting. Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It sure would.

Madrid wouldn't know what the fcuk was happening.

• I can't tell if this is the Wigan thread or Man Citys thread?

I also full expect Evra to be brought into this at some stage

Bernebau?? Nou camp you mean

Love this time of year for football. I watch more neutral games as the competitons are in the later stages. It’s been an enjoyable two nights of football.

Back to reality tomorrow. :)

Yeh. I think this has had the best last 16 fixtures ever in one season!

Look at the experience on that Chelsea first team. League winners, champions league winners and most players at the peak of their careers. I Think united have too many players who are still finding their feet and maturing.

Great game to watch. Roll on tomorrow night

• Advertisement

Line-up for tomorrow?

......................DDG....................
    Tony V....Bailly.........Jones....Shaw
    .......Herrera....Matic....Pogba.....
    ..........Alexis............Tony M.........
    ...................Lukaku....................

Herrera or McTominay for CM.

I've Shaw up there, but Young will likely start for this away fixture.

Alexis to roam rather than be stuck to the right.

I'd like to have Mata in there, but more than that at the moment I'd like to see 3 actual midfielders start in midfield.

Spurs impressed away to Juve, City and Pool demolished in their away ties, I won't be letting any of that cloud my expectations or emotions for this game.

Any win will do in Seville.

I see him going with mata and alexis in the away leg, probably young too

..........ddg.........
    Val...Smalling....Jones.... Young
    Scitt.....matic.....pogba
    Mata....lukaku.....Alexis

Could see lingard in there maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

b_Ddq.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    b_Ddq.gif

OH5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

jayo26 wrote: »
    b_Ddq.gif

I tend to find that only adds fuel to the fire in here

zA875oE.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

De Gea
    Valencia--Smalling-Jones-Young
    ----Herrera-Matic-Pogba
    Lingard
    Sanchez
    Lukaku.

That is what I think we will see tonight, if Herrera isn't fit (he was in training) then Carrick or McTominay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I thought I read Jones didn't travel.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I thought I read Jones didn't travel.

Hadn't looked into the squad to be honest.

Rojo? Bailly fit enough to start (would seem a stretch)? Lindelof?

I haven’t seen much of Sevilla in the last 2 years but they could always play ball on the ground very well. A Smalling/Jones combo is the last thing I want to see.
    A real left back wouldn’t go astray either.

Can't see Jones starting. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought he was only starting League games so far this season?

I think José had seen Jones/Bailly as the league CB and Lindelof/Smalling as Cup/Europe.

Would be very surprised to not see a Lindelof/Smalling partnership tonight.

• Advertisement

I haven’t seen much of Sevilla in the last 2 years but they could always play ball on the ground very well. A Smalling/Jones combo is the last thing I want to see.
    A real left back wouldn’t go astray either.

Indeed - I'd like to see Shaw at left back, at least, but everything points to Jose trusting Young at left back more than Shaw, so I think Young will start.

As for a centre back combo, to be honest I would find it impossible to select a pairing back there that I would actually be happy with.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Can't see Jones starting. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought he was only starting League games so far this season?

I think José had seen Jones/Bailly as the league CB and Lindelof/Smalling as Cup/Europe.

Would be very surprised to not see a Lindelof/Smalling partnership tonight.

I think that was at the start of the season when both Bailly and Jones were suspended in Europe.

I would also say it is possible Jose was looking at the CL games as winnable without having to go at full strength, so saw them as opportunities to try give Lindelof some time.

I think his approach to the game tongith, first leg of the knock-outs, will be different to the group games.

I also have to feel that Lindelof has fallen down the pecking order even further since the CL group games - that guy is looking like a terrible signing at this point. I think he has tremendous potential, but if Jose doesn't trust him enough to play them he is never going to improve or play well for us.

I think that was at the start of the season when both Bailly and Jones were suspended in Europe.

I would also say it is possible Jose was looking at the CL games as winnable without having to go at full strength, so saw them as opportunities to try give Lindelof some time.

I think his approach to the game tongith, first leg of the knock-outs, will be different to the group games.

I also have to feel that Lindelof has fallen down the pecking order even further since the CL group games - that guy is looking like a terrible signing at this point. I think he has tremendous potential, but if Jose doesn't trust him enough to play them he is never going to improve or play well for us.

We can guarantee Smalling as a starter, suppose it will just depend how fit Bailly is if he is deciding to drop Lindelof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Men don't have Jones on the squad that travelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's been 4 years since we have even been at this stage in Competition. Way too long. Looking forward to it. I expect a winner tonight.Either we play well and win Or play crap and get beat.

Draw it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

I disagree on this. I think he was poor starting out and looked very rash and even nervous. However, I think the last 2-3 months, in the few games he has played in, he has looked much better. I think by Christmas this year he will be a ever-present in CB. It looks to me like he needs time to adjust to the size of the club this season.

The last 5 games he played in we have 5 clean sheets. Granted, they were against Southampton, Everton, Derby, Yeovil and Huddersfield who are not exactly world beaters but I think he has looked a lot more composed and much better on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Nothing expecting tonight's match to be a great spectacle. Jose will set deep and hit on the counter. For Sevilla this will be their game of the season and they will be giving it everything.

A 0-0 or score draw would be a good result given how our form, after a good league start, has taken a dive. Lower table teams have been walking through us, our play in the final third can be very poor too. The worrying thing is that when we sit deep and concede the team seems to lose its nerve and their is no response, even from the bench the answer is to keep sitting deep.

I fear for us if we concede first tonight as we will just continue with plan A. If we are to progress these two legs will be tight, and it will be at OT its decided if we come away with a result tonight but we wont brush them aside easily if we move onto the next round and the football wont be pretty either.

If Sevilla come out strong it could be a bad night and even decided tonight. I hope I'm proven wrong but our form is so inconsistent and the team lacks morale when behind so nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

chris445 wrote: »

I disagree on this. I think he was poor starting out and looked very rash and even nervous. However, I think the last 2-3 months, in the few games he has played in, he has looked much better. I think by Christmas this year he will be a ever-present in CB. It looks to me like he needs time to adjust to the size of the club this season.

The last 5 games he played in we have 5 clean sheets. Granted, they were against Southampton, Everton, Derby, Yeovil and Huddersfield who are not exactly world beaters but I think he has looked a lot more composed and much better on the ball.
    Adjusting to the size of a club is nonsense,
      adjusting to the pace of the premier league is one thing but to the size of the club is stuff people spout that really means nothing, |He's coming form a team that finished 1st in his last 3 year to a team that in the last four season's have finished 6th,5th,4th,and 7th, He's used to wining at his previous club and playing for the top team in league,
    He either can't compete with the pace of the league or he will slowly cope, to say its anything to do with the "size" of a club is nonsense,

chris445 wrote: »

I agree he started poorly and I agree he had a run of games that he looked really good in (a couple of games I thought he was excellent in tbh).

But, I see nothing to suggest Jose trusts him.

If Jose doesn't trust him and he isn't going to become a first team starter then he is a terrible signing, talent or not. If they aren't producing on the pitch, whatever the reason, they aren't a good signing.

There is obviously time for things to change, but as things stand right now its looking like we should have spent the money elsewhere cause we are getting nothing for it at the moment.

• Advertisement

Adjusting to the size of a club is nonsense,
      adjusting to the pace of the premier league is one thing but to the size of the club is stuff people spout that really means nothing, |He's coming form a team that finished 1st in his last 3 year to a team that in the last four season's have finished 6th,5th,4th,and 7th, He's used to wining at his previous club and playing for the top team in league,
    He either can't compete with the pace of the league or he will slowly cope, to say its anything to do with the "size" of a club is nonsense,

I dunno - size of club and weight of expectation have been cited as issues for some players for decades. Maybe it is rubbish, but it certainly comes up a lot.

I would agree that it shouldn't be an issue, but then I would also say that playing home or away shouldn't be an issue either. At the end of the day its still a football pitch and the fans can't actually do anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement