Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Please God don’t let Lindelof be anywhere near the starting line up.

I’d love to see:

————————De Gea————————

————Bailly——————-Jones————
    Valencia—————————————Shaw

————————-Matic—————————
    ———Mata————————Pogba———

——-Sanchez———————-Martial———

————————Lukaku————————

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Adjusting to the size of a club is nonsense,
      adjusting to the pace of the premier league is one thing but to the size of the club is stuff people spout that really means nothing, |He's coming form a team that finished 1st in his last 3 year to a team that in the last four season's have finished 6th,5th,4th,and 7th, He's used to wining at his previous club and playing for the top team in league,
    He either can't compete with the pace of the league or he will slowly cope, to say its anything to do with the "size" of a club is nonsense,

I dunno - size of club and weight of expectation have been cited as issues for some players for decades. Maybe it is rubbish, but it certainly comes up a lot.

I would agree that it shouldn't be an issue, but then I would also say that playing home or away shouldn't be an issue either. At the end of the day its still a football pitch and the fans can't actually do anything.
    Its horse sh*t,
    Example are Spurs a huge club like United not even close , Is he be good enough to play for Spurs at the moment  , NO ,
    Simpley he's just not good enough to play for a top 6 team in England at the moment ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Please God don’t let Lindelof be anywhere near the starting line up.

I’d love to see:

————————De Gea————————

————Bailly——————-Jones————
    Valencia—————————————Shaw

————————-Matic—————————
    ———Mata————————Pogba———

——-Sanchez———————-Martial———

————————Lukaku————————

Looks good, I'd swap mata for a proper midfielder ie mctominay or herrera, given its the away leg. It will lighten the load on pogba and matic, we should still have enough creativity to get it done, especially with the extra control.

Mata to play the home game possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Its horse sh*t,
    Example are Spurs a huge club like United not even close , Is he be good enough to play for Spurs at the moment  , NO ,
    Simpley he's just not good enough to play for a top 6 team in England at the moment ,

When I say he size of the club I mean that there is more pressure on a player do do well at a bigger club.

There is no doubt that United are a far bigger club than Benfica and the expectation from the fans, management, board etc.. is much higher than he would have faced at Benfica. The quality of the players he is playing with and against is also far superior. This all adds pressure on the player.

Some players can handle this pressure better than others but in some, and I believe in the case of Lindelof, it leads to nerves on the pitch.

I think he is slowly starting to come to terms with this and is looking less nervous each time he plays (Maybe because he can see some of the mistakes our other CB's make).
    Is he be good enough to play for Spurs at the moment  , NO

Perhaps he is not but Spurs have 2 very good CB's at them moment who would get into any of the other top 6 sides. Could he play for Liverpool over Matip/Lovren? Yes I think so. Could he play for Arsenal? Yes, I think he could.

Mitch I get what you are saying about Jose not having trust in him and that is a problem but I do think with some of the mistakes and concentration lapses we see from our current CB's he will get his chance and I think it is up to him to get over the nervousness and take that opportunity.

I was a big detractor of him at the beginning but over the last few months i have seen some signs that there may well be a very good player there.

chris445 wrote: »
    Its horse sh*t,

When I say he size of the club I mean that there is more pressure on a player do do well at a bigger club.

There is no doubt that United are a far bigger club than Benfica and the expectation from the fans, management, board etc.. is much higher than he would have faced at Benfica. The quality of the players he is playing with and against is also far superior. This all adds pressure on the player.

Some players can handle this pressure better than others but in some, and I believe in the case of Lindelof, it leads to nerves on the pitch.

I think he is slowly starting to come to terms with this and is looking less nervous each time he plays (Maybe because he can see some of the mistakes our other CB's make).

Perhaps he is not but Spurs have 2 very good CB's at them moment who would get into any of the other top 6 sides. Could he play for Liverpool over Matip/Lovren? Yes I think so. Could he play for Arsenal? Yes, I think he could.

Mitch I get what you are saying about Jose not having trust in him and that is a problem but I do think with some of the mistakes and concentration lapses we see from our current CB's he will get his chance and I think it is up to him to get over the nervousness and take that opportunity.

I was a big detractor of him at the beginning but over the last few months i have seen some signs that there may well be a very good player there.
    Again its horse sh*t ,
    Do you think if he was making mistake costing Benfica point when they where going for the title he'd have kept his place in there starting 11 ?
    Again at Benfica he's been wining the title 3 seasons in a row hardly a side without high expectations , while Smalling & Jones & Young are still starting at United after finishing 6,5,4,7
    He's just not good enough for the Prem the league is to quick for him,
    By that reckoning the whole squad should be shipped out due to not being coping with the Size of the club considering they finished  6,5,4,7 in the last 4 years,

• Advertisement

Its horse sh*t,

Again its horse sh*t ,
    Do you think if he was making mistake costing Benfica point when they where going for the title he'd have kept his place in there starting 11 ?
    Again at Benfica he's been wining the title 3 seasons in a row hardly a side without high expectations , while Smalling & Jones & Young are still starting at United after finishing 6,5,4,7
    By that reckoning the whole squad should be shipped out due to not being coping with the Size of the club considering they finished  6,5,4,7 in the last 4 years,
    Also Jones or Smalling would be lucky to get in ahead of Lovern and Matip so Lindelof simply wouldn't at al ,
    At Arsenal he wouldn't;t be an improvement just more of the same really
    Just cause he's a United player we don't have to or shouldn't over look the fact that he's been a huge let down and is simply not good enough,

Again its horse sh*t ,

Speaking of horse****....
    I never said anyone should be shipped out. I said I think he needs time to adjust to the pressures. Like in any other job moving to a role in a more prestigious company will have more pressure than the same role in your old fishbowl.

The reason I'm saying that Lindelof needs time to adjust and not saying the same about Smalling etc is because I can see signs of a very good player there and a lot of the mistakes he made look like nervous mistakes rather than a lack of talent in my view.

I can see we are not going to agree on this so lets not keep this going back and forward on the same thing. At the end of the day I think the size of the club and the expectation could be a factor and you don't. Let's just disagree on that and I will secretly hold a grudge and hope I can come back with an I told you so :)

Also Jones or Smalling would be lucky to get in ahead of Lovern and Matip so Lindelof simply wouldn't at al ,
    At Arsenal he wouldn't;t be an improvement just more of the same really
    Just cause he's a United player we don't have to or shouldn't over look the fact that he's been a huge let down and is simply not good enough,

Again it is a game of opinions. I do think Samlling or Jones would be ahead of Matip/Lovren/Chambers/Holding.

Perhaps not ahead of Mustafi or Kos but it seems like at least 1 of them is injured at any given time.

I am not saying overlook the fact he has been a let down and only a few months back I was questioning whether he is good enough to ever play for United but I have seen signs since Christmas that he may be if give time and opportunity.

Again its horse sh*t ,

Speaking of horse****....
    I never said anyone should be shipped out. I said I think he needs time to adjust to the pressures. Like in any other job moving to a role in a more prestigious company will have more pressure than the same role in your old fishbowl.

The reason I'm saying that Lindelof needs time to adjust and not saying the same about Smalling etc is because I can see signs of a very good player there and a lot of the mistakes he made look like nervous mistakes rather than a lack of talent in my view.

I can see we are not going to agree on this so lets not keep this going back and forward on the same thing. At the end of the day I think the size of the club and the expectation could be a factor and you don't. Let's just disagree on that and I will secretly hold a grudge and hope I can come back with an I told you so :)

If you can't displace Jones and Smalling on the current form your in trouble,
    Plus Bailly will go straight in and Rojo ahead of you also
    So that's 4 ahead of you (2 of which are awful ) when your 23 and just been signed for 35 million, also the club been linked with Toby and other quality players ,
    agree to disagree on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Match Thread up. Just a heads up if anyone forgot Utd play Liverpool in the Uefa Youth League last 16 today. Kick-off at 3. It's on BT Sport 2. Winners play City in the quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Match Thread up. Just a heads up if anyone forgot Utd play Liverpool in the Uefa Youth League last 16 today. Kick-off at 3. It's on BT Sport 2. Winners play City in the quarters.

What’s the odds there’ll be some sad twat in here gloating over the youth game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Forgot Carrick was available, I'd have a midfild of himself pogba and matic in that case

Lukaku will play, as will Sanchez so it's a spot up for grabs between lingard, mata and martial, is rashford fit?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

What’s the odds there’ll be some sad twat in here gloating over the youth game?

There's always bound too be some who'll take any small victories they can get. It's there substitute for the demise of their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If you can't displace Jones and Smalling on the current form your in trouble,
    Plus Bailly will go straight in and Rojo ahead of you also
    So that's 4 ahead of you (2 of which are awful ) when your 23 and just been signed for 35 million, also the club been linked with Toby and other quality players ,
    agree to disagree on this :)

Careful now. You better not be implying that Jones is "awful"...

rYniq6f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Butt v Gerrard.

Hopefully Chong and Gomes put in a good days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

FitzShane wrote: »
    I agree with this, but then the question goes back to who are United currently building their team around? It should be Pogba, but it is actually Lukaku IMO.

Martial & Pogba could prove to be yere most important players for 10 years but ye do do not play to their strengths.

Personally dont think we are building around Lukaku, just based on the absolute gick service he gets week on week, and the team isn't attacking or moving to his strengths.

The fact he moves so much wide and into channels and stuff probably shows that too, that he just is adapting in the moment to the state of play, rather than to an actual plan or fulcrum around him.

It’s a bit of a red-herring to accuse a modern footballer of being “pampered”, “self-publicising”, or “self-obsessed”.

Ronaldo is arguably all three, but he is also one of the hardest working professionals in sport.

I suspect that Paul Pogba works exceptionally hard on his game and is a consumate professional; some of the slurs that have been bandied about misrepresent him I reckon.

And it's also forgotten that it's the club that drive this, shape this and have created this. It wasn't the player, despite him being a popular figure anyway. The club went into overdrive promoting him.

And in fairness the club are good at it.

It's hard not to blame Pogba if his ego slightly conflates, when the biggest revenue generating, the richiest, and one of the biggest clubs in the world, has marketed him as such, and have importance on metrics that contribute to revenue, directly linked to him.

And of it had been a United player he'd have been charged, just as aguero (and pep) should have been.

Will look forward to the next time a player reacts to provocation in a match. No ban if its its a justifiable reaction, apparently.

I actually like the stance Jose is taking, and I want so hard to believe him when hes been referencing his sideline behaviour.

By him just chilling out and being more "adult" about things, it's pushed attention to the absolute nonsense that goes on with other managers week in week out.

Jose was never terrible, he is a generally reserved person on the sideline that just goes bat****, like anyone does. But he had got a name for himself, so its credit to him he has dialled all that back.

And it does raise the justifiable question as usual about FA/PL consistency when it comes to charges and offences.

The **** Klopp, Conte and Pep get away with is absolutely insane, and thats not pushing "we are the victim" its just so obvious for anyone not implementing bias

I agree he started poorly and I agree he had a run of games that he looked really good in (a couple of games I thought he was excellent in tbh).

But, I see nothing to suggest Jose trusts him.

If Jose doesn't trust him and he isn't going to become a first team starter then he is a terrible signing, talent or not. If they aren't producing on the pitch, whatever the reason, they aren't a good signing.

There is obviously time for things to change, but as things stand right now its looking like we should have spent the money elsewhere cause we are getting nothing for it at the moment.

Lindeloff has been very good in most recent outings, and in fairness didn't he play alot in our Champions league group?

He's a defender I'd like in an away game. He can do the balls to wall stuff fine, he likes stepping out to intercept and breakup play and he is good on the ball and can get us on the front foot quickly.

I think he's shaken off the initial jitters, and look forward to seeing him more next season.

I also look forward to seeing less of Chris Smalling

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

VW 1 wrote: »
    Butt v Gerrard.

Hopefully Chong and Gomes put in a good days work.

And our irishman Lee O'Connor.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'll be avoiding match thread learned my lesson after Last one I put up.

I also feel that they should be avoided been created seen as no other club creates match threads anymore because it gives rival fans a license to go on a wind up without fear of any action.

Each to there own lads but if you create a match thread don't go getting involved in childish arguments unless that's your thing.

jayo26 wrote: »

I also feel that they should be avoided been created seen as no other club creates match threads anymore because it gives rival fans a license to go on a wind up without fear of any action.

Each to there own lads but if you create a match thread don't go getting involved in childish arguments unless that's your thing.

Think best decision I made was staying clear from them, think I made it during the Moyes era or maybe just as LVG began. Tip in maybe every now and then for a gawk but used to follow them.

jayo26 wrote: »

There does seem to have been a bit of a lax tolerance from match discussion in the superthreads. there was a time where you would be asked to take match discussion, to a match thread.

I think its much better served contained here, and I've actually kept tabs much more in recent times since it's naturally evolved into a thing where everyone talks about the match here.

I tried some match threads years ago and was like "NOPE" :D

Hopefully I havn't just highlighted this to the mods who are like "**** we havnt been enforcing that" but fair play to them if its been a conscious thing to allow match discussion flow in the superthreads. It's much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

TheDoc wrote: »
    There does seem to have been a bit of a lax tolerance from match discussion in the superthreads.

The rules were changed a few months ago as a result of some feedback over the summer. Previously match discussion was listed as a banned subject but not often clamped down on. That ban has now been removed and we are all free to discuss matches in superthreads and/or in a specific match thread if there is one, whichever we prefer. The fact there's a match thread doesn't mean the match can't also be discussed in the super thread.

See https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73160798&postcount=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What are Butt's U19 team like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The main perk of not being a mod anymore is not having to go near the match threads.

Doc, Afaik, the last feedback thread basically removed he whole "match talk in match threads only" thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Again its horse sh*t ,
    Again at Benfica he's been wining the title 3 seasons in a row hardly a side without high expectations , while Smalling & Jones & Young are still starting at United after finishing 6,5,4,7
    By that reckoning the whole squad should be shipped out due to not being coping with the Size of the club considering they finished 6,5,4,7 in the last 4 years,

I remember Evra and Vidic's first half a season at the club didn't go well at all. A player struggling to find their feet at the club does not automatically equate to them not being good enough.

You don't seem to grasp the concept of pressure and/or the fact that it takes some players longer to settle into a new league.

There’s a general Champions League thread for people that want to type LOL and stuff without getting a card in the superthreads.

Headshot wrote: »
    What are Butt's U19 team like?

I'd be lying if I said I've been watching all their games.

Remember reading a report on how they lost to Basel, ended up meaning finishing 2nd in group (on goal difference).

I think Liverpool will be a big test for them and give better context to how good they really are.

Winner faces Man City in next round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A decoy match thread is the answer,let the bollixology go ahead in there and the normal discussion take place here.
    The usual suspects can post there and spend the night thanking each others posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

There’s a general Champions League thread for people that want to type LOL and stuff without getting a card in the superthreads.

You can also type amusing in superthread and thats it's ok..

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The main perk of not being a mod anymore is not having to go near the match threads.

Doc, Afaik, the last feedback thread basically removed he whole "match talk in match threads only" thing.

I'd say you still suffer from the flashbacks of the work involved in those threads, especially when derby days came around!

1-0 Liverpool. Ben Woodburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'd be lying if I said I've been watching all their games.

Remember reading a report on how they lost to Basel, ended up meaning finishing 2nd in group (on goal difference).

I think Liverpool will be a big test for them and give better context to how good they really are.

Winner faces Man City in next round.

Our Under18's are currently top of their division which includes liverpool and man city

These United young lads look fairly poor.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Again its horse sh*t ,
    Again at Benfica he's been wining the title 3 seasons in a row hardly a side without high expectations , while Smalling & Jones & Young are still starting at United after finishing 6,5,4,7
    By that reckoning the whole squad should be shipped out due to not being coping with the Size of the club considering they finished  6,5,4,7 in the last 4 years,

I remember Evra and Vidic's first half a season at the club didn't go well at all. A player struggling to find their feet at the club does not automatically equate to them not being good enough.

You don't seem to grasp the concept of pressure and/or the fact that it takes some players longer to settle into a new league.
    I clearly said new league is a perfect fine argument ,He may get up to speed but I can't see it,
    I don't agree with the club being "to Big " form him I think its nonsense people say, he came from a club that win's its title year in year out to a team that finished in the top four in England once in the the last four years, People make out he never been under pressure at Benfica when he most certainly has,
    "The club is to big for him" is a statement that you could throw at any of the current players as they have all failed to finish a season where the club expects to be in the last 4 years,
    Again i'm only saying its a stupid statement

I clearly said new league is a perfect fine argument ,He may get up to speed but I can't see it,
    I don't agree with the club being "to Big " form him I think its nonsense people say, he came from a club that win's its title year in year out to a team that finished in the top four in England once in the the last four years, People make out he never been under pressure at Benfica when he most certainly has,
    "The club is to big for him" is a statement that you could throw at any of the current players as they have all failed to finish a season where the club expects to be in the last 4 years,

Plenty of players cannot make the step up in expectation. Firstly do you accept the Portugeuse league is lower quality and poor performances might not be punished as much ? Secondly, do you accept Benfica is a smaller club then United ? Thirdly, do you accept that Lindloff was a bigger player at Benfica then he is at United and as such the pressure on his spot would be less?

Now, he has a joined a club that isn't winning leagues (but expects it), has higher champions league expectations, is a tougher league and has arguably the biggest fanbase in the world watching him (and the biggest anti brigade wanting him to fail). He is in a completely different arena and is subject to an entirely different level of scrutiny, criticism and exposure that he would not experience at Benfica.

I don't agree with the club being "to Big " form him I think its nonsense people say, he came from a club that win's its title year in year out to a team that finished in the top four in England once in the the last four years, People make out he never been under pressure at Benfica when he most certainly has,
    "The club is to big for him" is a statement that you could throw at any of the current players as they have all failed to finish a season where the club expects to be in the last 4 years,

Plenty of players cannot make the step up in expectation. Firstly do you accept the Portugeuse league is lower quality and poor performances might not be punished as much ? Secondly, do you accept Benfica is a smaller club then United ? Thirdly, do you accept that Lindloff was a bigger player at Benfica then he is at United and as such the pressure on his spot would be less?

Now, he has a joined a club that isn't winning leagues (but expects it), has higher champions league expectations,  is a tougher league and has arguably the biggest fanbase in the world watching him (and the biggest anti brigade wanting him to fail). He is in a completely different arena and is subject to an entirely different level of scrutiny,  criticism and exposure that he would not experience at Benfica.
    Here's a simply way of saying it HES NOT GOOD ENOUGH  
    When people say the clubs to big for him its a way of saying its not our fault we bought a bad player,

Now, he has a joined a club that isn't winning leagues (but expects it), has higher champions league expectations,  is a tougher league and has arguably the biggest fanbase in the world watching him (and the biggest anti brigade wanting him to fail). He is in a completely different arena and is subject to an entirely different level of scrutiny,  criticism and exposure that he would not experience at Benfica.
    Here's a simply way of saying it HES NOT GOOD ENOUGH  
    When people say the clubs to big for him its a way of saying its not our fault we bought a bad player,
    I think he's in the top 5 most expensive CB ever in the game, and he is simple not good enough , Another poor signing's by the club ,
    Dress it up all you want with the clubs to big for him crap, He isn't good enough and that the bottom line ,

Chong is bit of a class act

• Advertisement

• The match thread already fs :P

Dreadful keeping

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The match thread already fs :P

4 posts 2 buses.
    Sounds like one of them internet videos that you shouldn’t watch.

I think he's in the top 5 most expensive CB ever in the game, and he is simple not good enough , Another poor signing's by the club ,
    Dress it up all you want with the clubs to big for him crap, He isn't good enough and that the bottom line ,

How am I dressing anything up ? All I am saying is that there are numerous reasons why a player hasn't settled in after 5 months and it doesn't mean they aren't good enough. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

De geas nickname is the bus.... he carried the team for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Pogba not in team tonight.

Times& ESPN reporting it so far.

For those attacking Jose. Considering the state of the club when he took over, I believe its fair to say the club is going through a transitional period. People would do well to remember that there were calls for SAF head in 2006 after United had just lost to Benfica:

Here is some snippets from Nemanja Vidics book:

December 2006

United had just lost to Benfica at the Champions League Group Stages. Ferguson called for calmness and level headedness, saying that he was in the middle of a rebuilding programme and needed time and patience.

He refused to answer questions about his own future. The day after the Lisbon debacle there was widespread calls for Ferguson to resign. These were not just from so called fans who went to Old Trafford once or twice a season, but diehards too from united “fanzone” section of the clubs website.

One writer said “Its time ferguson retired. I know we are in transition but the last consistant run we had was 2002-03”. Another said “Big changes have to be made because we are just not good enough” . Another “ It’s the lowest point in 10 years, they couldn’t even get through a group with 3 average teams”.
    And for those looking for just a pre match pick me up:

At vidic’s press conference when being introduced as the teams newest player he said “I received an offer from Liverpool but when United were interested, I wanted to sign immediately”.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Pogba not in team tonight.

Times& ESPN reporting it so far.

Thats a joke if true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement