Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented Property Next Door Used For A Nocturnal Business

Options
  • 27-01-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody, My brother is having trouble with neighbours. He bought a site from a guy a few years ago. Everything was fine, built a house, no problems. He has three small kids now, and lives in that same house with his missus and their kids. The site next door, which is owned by the same guy, has been rented out to a company that is being used for a business which stores it's vans there. The vans come back late at night, and are left running for long periods of time, meaning that they are all kept up late (circa 2am) until the vans are eventually shut off. This is a rural area. He has tried to mediate but to no avail. What options does he have? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does it have planning permission for its use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why are they kept running?
    Sorry if that's an obvious question but would they not just come back and park up?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Personally came into this thread expecting to see talk of ladies of the night, your lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Why are they kept running? Sorry if that's an obvious question but would they not just come back and park up?

Prob refrigerated vans being loaded for the next day, just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Check the planning register in the local authority planning office and see if there is planning permission for commercial use on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Personally came into this thread expecting to see talk of ladies of the night, your lucky

I thought the same dammit. Came here expecting talk of a brothel...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why are they kept running?
    Sorry if that's an obvious question but would they not just come back and park up?
    Could be refrigerated trucks, milk vans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

liam7831 wrote: »
    Prob refrigerated vans being loaded for the next day, just a guess.

Very good Liam. I wanted to be somewhat discreet as the guy might be on boards, but I guess there is no point.

The vans are essentially chipper vans, and they will be back at all hours of the night having returned from events. The premises was previously an old farm shed and was only used for farming purposes. There is the noise of the engines for significant periods of time and opening and closing gates. Basically, everybody in the house being woken up at all hours of the night.

In response to the above queries, I don't think there is a brothel being run from the premises. I will investigate, and if there is, I will remove any objection that I currently have to them running their business immediately. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Could be refrigerated hookers. But yeah check if there's planning for it. All you can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Place must smell pretty fishy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Vans running, gates opening, its hardly music or an angle grinder being used.
    How far away physically are you from this site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

It's about 15/20 metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I live in a semi rural area and could hear a fox fart at nighttime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lumen wrote: »
    Ditto
    I could hear my neighbour 2 fields over starting his car at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lumen wrote: »

Is that not your job to get better soundproofing then, like somebody harvesting at 1-2am would be considered normal rural noise. I personally think that 20 meters away and merely refrigerators idling and gates opening is a-ok

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it unreasonable noise though?

Many people live on main roads with no front garden in Dublin city. I'm sure the noise of the traffic is much louder your brothers neighbour. Many people live on the dart line or next to the railway track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Noise is noise. After 11 it should be curtailed even if the business is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is that not your job to get better soundproofing then, like somebody harvesting at 1-2am would be considered normal rural noise. I personally think that 20 meters away and merely refrigerators idling and gates opening is a-ok
    I'm not making any particular argument about which responsibility is whose, I'm just saying that perception of noise depends on context. Someone shouting in your ear in a nightclub = probably OK, same person shouting in your ear at 6am the next morning = not OK at all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even in a town, vans being left with engines running for long periods at night is very disturbing - my mother had this issue for a long time, not much she could do about it, they would keep you awake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

looksee wrote: »
    Even in a town, vans being left with engines running for long periods at night is very disturbing - my mother had this issue for a long time, not much she could do about it, they would keep you awake though.

you should do the same as them and go for a joy ride:D

sorry wrong thread. thought it was the living next door to a house of ill repute thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very good Liam. I wanted to be somewhat discreet as the guy might be on boards, but I guess there is no point.

The vans are essentially chipper vans, and they will be back at all hours of the night having returned from events. The premises was previously an old farm shed and was only used for farming purposes. There is the noise of the engines for significant periods of time and opening and closing gates. Basically, everybody in the house being woken up at all hours of the night.

In response to the above queries, I don't think there is a brothel being run from the premises. I will investigate, and if there is, I will remove any objection that I currently have to them running their business immediately. ;)

Have a word with EPA
    https://www.epa.ie/

They have a very good response system and will advise if this is in their remit .If so they will fast track it to Environmental Health . Then withdraw until they have had chance to sort it. Complaint form online there. Noise is taken seriously,

Advertisement