Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the cavan/dublin connection?

Options
  • 27-01-2018 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

just wondering is there a cultural connection between cavan and dublin? over the years i have found cavan people overly sympathetic or maybe even fond of dublin and its people and culture. now i know we all might like some dublin culture to very varying degrees. but found cavan people to have more of a fondness for them. most country people are not to fond of the dubs or the dublin wit culture but found cavan people to like it or admire it. just seem a bit obsessed by it. definitly know that dubs wouldnt be overly loved in west meath, meath or kildare or monaghon for that matter. found louth people to be a bit more into them as well . is this a thing or am i imagining it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t think there is any particular connection.

I see nice hard working people who come from Dublin and engage in local activities and they are well got, they done moan about not having a bus every five minutes, or belittle the county because there is no rail connection.

There were another type that arrived, during the boom they sold whatever rock they lived under and moved to Cavan solely because it was cheaper. They brought skanger mentality with them, they hated rural life and rural people, they weren’t so well got and didn’t integrate with rural society at all, many or most have gone back or elsewhere and they are no loss to anyone.

So dubs or Corkonians if people are decent, hardworking and understand rural life is different - they are generally accepted, I’d have presumed this was typical enough round the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm married to a Cavan woman and I agree she always says the same thing about a fondness between Cavan and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

interesting! yeah always wondered was it a thing or my imagination. maybe it was years of not living in each others pockets perhaps its begining to change now that they have to live with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My grandmother came from kells and my dad was born there (completely only as she was visiting her mother). I went out with a guy from Cavan for years. When we broke up I missed Cavan more than him! I think it's because from where I live it's 62.4km to Cavan...literally motorway between two villages. No coincidence that the two biggest pubs in Blanchardstown and Castleknock are owned by Cavan men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Actually make that four...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats the motorway to do with it? thats only there recently?where do you live?

Advertisement