Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to in Louth?

Options
  • 28-01-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a town in Louth to move to?

Somewhere with good public transport links, things to do and see.

I was thinking about Castlebellingham but Matthews bus doesn't stop there and Bus Eireann takes two hours to Dublin!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Drogheda or dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogheda

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundalk

On the M1 Drogheda is less than 30 mins from Dublin

Add 20 minutes to that for Dundalk

Drogheda has better (more frequent) train services daily but Dundalk has about 16, including the Enterprise for <1 hour travel to Connolly.

Matthews has about 22 services from both daily (but not Castlebellingham or Dunleer)
    BE have an hourly service to Dublin (including the Airport)from both.

Dundalk would have cheaper housing, Drogheda probably more gains on selling.

Have you thought about Blackrock (more expensive, but a proper village in its own right)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock,_County_Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Where in Dublin will you be travelling to/working? Do you need schools for kids? What sort of things do you like to do and see? Any sports interests etc. There are a lot of variables to consider!
    Do you drive? If not, the only places I would consider in Louth would be Drogheda or Dundalk (and quite specific areas within each unless you want to spend a fortune on taxis).

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Where in Dublin will you be travelling to/working?

Thanks for the reply.
    The city centre for studying and all over the county for business - public transport for the former and driving the latter.

Do you need schools for kids?

No
    What sort of things do you like to do and see? Any sports interests etc.

Voluntary groups, cafe culture, arts, culture, history et al

Do you drive? If not, the only places I would consider in Louth would be Drogheda or Dundalk (and quite specific areas within each unless you want to spend a fortune on taxis).

I drive but as mentioned above only for business otherwise public transport. Which specific areas of Drogheda should I be looking at? ( Seems to be generally the best option).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dublin Road side of Drogheda.

Matthews Bus 40 min to parnell st, nearby to train station etc etc.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogheda

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundalk

On the M1 Drogheda is less than 30 mins from Dublin

Add 20 minutes to that for Dundalk

Drogheda has better (more frequent) train services daily but Dundalk has about 16, including the Enterprise for <1 hour travel to Connolly.

Matthews has about 22 services from both daily (but not Castlebellingham or Dunleer)
    BE have an hourly service to Dublin (including the Airport)from both.

Dundalk would have cheaper housing, Drogheda probably more gains on selling.

Have you thought about Blackrock (more expensive, but a proper village in its own right)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock,_County_Louth

Thanks for the reply.

I think Drogheda might be the best option but am considering Dundalk - which areas of Dundalk should I be looking at for a good place to live, public transport access etc?

Dublin Road side of Drogheda.

Matthews Bus 40 min to parnell st, nearby to train station etc etc.

Thanks - anywhere on the Dublin Rd side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Carnmore wrote: »
    Thanks - anywhere on the Dublin Rd side?

Rathmullen area is a bit rough but everywhere else is good(south of river)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Yeah as above generally all good areas both sides of the town, only 1 / 2 areas I'd personally avoid if I had to and even at that they wouldn't bother me too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Carnmore wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I think Drogheda might be the best option but am considering Dundalk - which areas of Dundalk should I be looking at for a good place to live, public transport access etc?

Much the same as Drogheda,Dublin Road end would probably be best. Train station is more central than Drogheda,and Matthews and BE join the motorway just past the regional college. Matthews have direct services to Dublin ie not calling into Drogheda.

Houses are not that plentiful though, Drogheda would be more expensive due to the larger number of commuters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Agree with the others recommending Dublin Road area in Drogheda - you have access to train and bus from there, and get onto M1 through Julianstown for travel by car. Anywhere else in Louth and you will struggle with the public transport aspect I think. Estates such as Bryanstown Manor, Wheaton Hall, Millmount Abbey and that general area near train station are walking distance to the town centre. Further out ones Five Oaks, Beaubec, Stameen, Deepforde and Grange Rath will require a longer walk into town. I think some of them (Grange Rath maybe) have a minibus link to the train station. Good luck with the search and shout if you have any further questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Depending on your budget OP, other areas such as Rosevale, Meadowview, Marian Park, Moran's Terrace & Sunnyside are walkable to the bus & train stations.

For a Matthews Bus/BE, anything along the North Road and the Donore Road are on the bus route.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Depending on your budget OP, other areas such as Rosevale, Meadowview, Marian Park, Moran's Terrace & Sunnyside are walkable to the bus & train stations.

For a Matthews Bus/BE, anything along the North Road and the Donore Road are on the bus route.

Thank you! Is there a distinction between the areas you mentioned which are walkable to the bus/train stations and North/Donore Rd? And are the latter areas walkable to the train station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Parts of the Donore Road are walkable to train station such as Ballsgrove or Cherrybrook (20 minutes or so depending on fast you walk - they are 5 mins from bus station).

Other areas such as Cedarfield are a very good walk!!

I used to walk to the train station from Georges Street each day - about 20/25 mins depending on how fit I was.

Areas such as the Chord Road, Magdalene Street, Francis Street, Oulster Lane etc are also walkable in that time.

The bus service to Dublin city centre is so good now that it opens up all of the areas on the North Road out as far as those estates behind the Hyundai garage as well as Cedarfield, Ballsgrove, Marian Park, Highfield etc on/off the Donore Road.

It really depends on what you call walkable. Some people consider 5 minutes walk as too much, some consider 25 minutes as a brisk stroll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭o1aa

I'm renting 2 rooms just outside Drogheda in a newly built estate. PM me for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

What's Tallanstown like to live in?

What is Trinity Gardens like in Drogheda? And how does it compare to Marian Park?

Advertisement