Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to freeze fresh tomatoes

Options
  • 28-01-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Any hints? Whole? Chopped up? Frozen seperately?

Do they turn out like mush?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They're not really suitable for freezing. That's why they're preserved by canning, not freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Might be better to cook them up and freeze them that way

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They’re a disaster to freeze fresh. They have such high water content that they will expand and burst when freezing and then turn to mush when thawing. It might be best to make them in to a sauce then freeze.

Or perhaps slow roast them and store under oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

vicwatson wrote:
    Might be better to cook them up and freeze them that way

Or possibly just buy fewer tomatoes? I'm guessing it's not a glut of home-grown ones you're struggling to get through at this time of year.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Or possibly just buy fewer tomatoes? I'm guessing it's not a glut of home-grown ones you're struggling to get through at this time of year.

No, I want to buy them when on special offer to use them for soup and tomato based dinners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

vicwatson wrote: »
    No, I want to buy them when on special offer to use them for soup and tomato based dinners
    Probably best to make soup etc with them and freeze that to be honest then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Tinned tomatoes are actually better for soup than tomatoes you can get in Ireland. Don't buy the cheapest ones and you should get decent soup out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Are you really saving that much that it is worth buying tomatoes to just freeze them? Life's too short.

If you must - make passata or soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have frozen them plenty of times, easy to skin them just run under warm water and squeeze and the skin pops off.

Are you really saving that much that it is worth buying tomatoes to just freeze them? Life's too short.

If you must - make passata or soup.

Yes, I am. Thanks for your opinion.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I make tomatoes sauce, and always roast them first, funny enough always roast tomatoes for soup despite above claiming we can't get decent soup made from imported tomatoes!

I would roast tomatoes and garlic and make the sauce from that, always a hit.

Several years ago, I gave up buying imported tomatoes, and only eat locally grown, and in December when I got the last of the tomatoes I made tomato sauce.

However, I do freeze baby or currant tomatoes without any prep. They freeze well and I freeze them on a tray and put them into a bag and use out of season. It will be a few months before I get any fresh tomatoes so the frozen ones keep me going. But I throw them into the oven or a recipe from frozen, don't thaw them,

Good luck, it's trial and error in the beginning but so worth it when you accomplish it. Don't forget a pinch of salt and sugar goes a long way cooking fresh tomatoes, my brother cannot tolerate the avid otherwise,

Advertisement