Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for rebuildable sub ohm tank

• 28-01-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I'm a big MTLer but I do occasionally fire up a baby beast for quick hits. However not liking having to spend so much in coils. My MTL tanks are kayfuns so rebuildables. What I want is a half descent sub ohm rebuildable that I could stick two kanthal coils in. Don't mind going down fasttech route as I don't want to spend a fortune.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm not into dual coil tank's myself but from what I'v see in reviews and forums feedback if I was going to pick one up, my picks would be

Reload RTA

OBS Engine RTA

Aromamizer Supreme V2

Manta RTA

and Digiflavor have a dual coil Zeus like RTA called the Themis due out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

TinCool wrote:
    Any suggestions appreciated.

As Venom recommended, the Engine is a superb entry to this area, easy to build on, great flavour, top afc so it's practically leak proof and great value from China.
    The Aromamizer and Manta are also both superb rta's but if it was one recommendation to begin with it would be the Engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Cool. What kind of coils do you chuck in to these? Only have standard 26g kanthal. Open to suggestions again as I know **** all about sub ohm coils.

• Advertisement

TinCool wrote: »
    Cool. What kind of coils do you chuck in to these? Only have standard 26g kanthal. Open to suggestions again as I know **** all about sub ohm coils.

I use 26awg SS316L, 8 wraps with a 3mm ID comes out at 0.3 ish, I'm not a huge fan of the fancy coils.

I'll get me some SS then not in to fancy stuff either. Is that run in temp or power mode? Again, never got in to all that temp stuff ad I like it simple.

TinCool wrote:
    I'll get me some SS then not in to fancy stuff either. Is that run in temp or power mode? Again, never got in to all that temp stuff ad I like it simple.

You can run ss in either temp or power, gives great flavour and works flawlessly with a fast ramp up in power mode.

Cheers dudes. On your recommendations, I've gone and ordered an OBS engine and some SS wire.

I got my OBS Engine a couple of days ago. I threw in 2 8 wrap SS coils with 3mm diameter, and some cotton bacon. Came out at .28ohms. I'm running it at around 40 watts. I'm getting some dry hits though. I'm not chain vaping like mad but i'd may be take 2 or 3 tokes every now and then.

How do I need to wick this? I currently have the wicks stuffed in to each hole at the bottom of the deck. It's more like sitting in the holes. Does this RTA like less or more cotton? May be I'm running it with too high power.

• Advertisement

TinCool wrote:
    How do I need to wick this? I currently have the wicks stuffed in to each hole at the bottom of the deck. It's more like sitting in the holes. Does this RTA like less or more cotton? May be I'm running it with too high power.

Less is more with the Engine, cotton should be just sitting on the juice inlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yup, as Dr. B says, less is more. I wick mine with the cotton barely dipping down into the holes [you can't see the cotton out the other end] and I never get dry hits. Also, as with most RTA, don't wick tight, you want a little resistance on the cotton when passing it through your coil, just enough that you can gently tug it through., you don't want it to fly through easily, nor do you want to have to yank it through.

I love the Engine, possibly my favourite RTA to date - I've had better flavour tanks though, that's the only thing preventing it from taking that top spot absolutely. It's good enough for flavour, but for general performance it is hard to beat. Never had it leak, I don't get dry hits, it takes barely any effort to build - and even if you mess up, it's no hassle to re-wick even after filling the tank. One thing though, if you over fill, you will get pop back through the drip tip, bit of gurgling until you clear it.

That seems to have done the trick. I rewicked, fluffed the ends of the wicks and just had them sitting in the holes without them poking through to the well, visible in the well at least. I also reseated the coils a bit lower down as they were quite high. I imagine the eliquid was having too much of a hard time travelling up as well. These two things seems to have done the trick. I've chugged my way through most of a tank with a few chaining sessions and not one dry hit. Thanks lads.

Another trick with wicking it is to wet the cotton and pinch the ends into something resembling a bow tie, cut the cotton at about a 45 degree angle from the top of the coil and trim the end to the top of the build deck and place it into the juice holes. It really needs very little cotton in there but as said have it snug in the coil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

The way I do it is like you Doc,bow-tie ish the wick & tuck it under the coil,like you would with a dripper & I've never had a dry hit when using watts but I take no chances anymore & use SS in TC...:D:D:D

The way I do it is like you Doc,bow-tie ish the wick & tuck it under the coil,like you would with a dripper & I've never had a dry hit when using watts but I take no chances anymore & use SS in TC...:D:D:D

Yeah cheers for the tips. What's the story with TC? My mod does it. Standard SS, what temp do I run at? Do I set it up at room temperature first? Does TC mod eat through batteries in comparison to Power?

Yeah cheers for the tips. What's the story with TC? My mod does it. Standard SS, what temp do I run at? Do I set it up at room temperature first? Does TC mod eat through batteries in comparison to Power?

There's a decent link to explain a bit.

http://vaping360.com/temperature-control-a-vaping-revolution/

It actually increases battery life due to a more exact power distribution.
    I use it with rda's only as it decreases the risk of dry hits especially when you switch between setups and forget to top up the juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Room temp doesn't matter so much,just make sure the coil hasn't been heated up before you connect it to the mod or you will get the wrong resistance reading (wait 5 mins to cool down)

the temp varies with different mods,you are looking for your sweet spot,various mods I use,I set mine in SS from 420F to 500F,if I'm using Ni 200 or Titanium wire,my temp could go as low as 380F to 600F,all depends on the mod I'm using & whether it's a stock coil or one I built.

Room temp doesn't matter so much,just make sure the coil hasn't been heated up before you connect it to the mod or you will get the wrong resistance reading (wait 5 mins to cool down)

the temp varies with different mods,you are looking for your sweet spot,various mods I use,I set mine in SS from 420F to 500F,if I'm using Ni 200 or Titanium wire,my temp could go as low as 380F to 600F,all depends on the mod I'm using & whether it's a stock coil or one I built.

I've tried TT, running SS @ around 420F. It worked fine but I found the vape too warm for my liking. I knocked it down to 400F but then the mod started cutting out by design. Concluded temp control with SS isn't really for me so I'll stick with power mode, suits me just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I've tried TT, running SS @ around 420F. It worked fine but I found the vape too warm for my liking. I knocked it down to 400F but then the mod started cutting out by design. Concluded temp control with SS isn't really for me so I'll stick with power mode, suits me just fine.

Vaping is different for everybody so always best to stick with what works for you. I'v tried TC and SS wire and it always felt lacking something. For me, power mode and fused claptons around 40-55 watts always performs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement