Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shadow of the Colossus Remake

• 28-01-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Just pulled the trigger on the pre order.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this.

A proper remake too, not just an upscale of the PS3 version.

So many memories of playing this on PS2 when it came out, was blown away by it. Was always heartbreaking watching one of the Colossi die :(

Anyone else going to pick this up?

Roll on Feb 6th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looking forward to it, my favorite out of the 3 games, only £22 on Amazon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote:
    Looking forward to it, my favorite out of the 3 games, only £22 on Amazon as well.

24 & I've been getting the don't ship to Ireland message. :(

ERG89 wrote: »
    24 & I've been getting the don't ship to Ireland message. :(

Ah I get €2 off with Prime, saw that alright so need to Parcel Motel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I paid 40 on the PS store - have to buy games digitally nowadays as my toddler has a thing for taking discs out of cases :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Pre-ordered from the US PSN as I had some $ in my account. Exchange rate not bad too. Worked out @ €32.

It's up there with my favourite games of all time so can't wait to play through the re-make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wondering why they'd jump straight to a PS4 remake of this and not start with ICO. Any ideas? It'll be on my shopping list regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

probably based on the sales of the remake on PS3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The whole series is sublime.
    Played and finished both Ico and SotC on the PS2, still have the original copies.
    I have the HD remasters on the PS3 but never played them again.
    The Last Guardian was sublime, though not without it's flaws, it's a testament to how good it was that those flaws, for me at least, were easy to overlook.
    And now this, a must have in physical form for me, to go into the collection.
    It's one of the very few transcendent franchises, and SotC is just full of jaw dropping moments and an amazing use of scale, transporting you from your comfy chair viewing a flat panel display to being there, running for the whippy tale of a flying behemoth to grab hold.
    Also, the game has an amazing ability to make you feel sorrow for what you are doing, you are Dave turning HAL off, committing a heinous act for the greater good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I never played it, had it on the PS3 and never got round to it. Definitely buying this and I rarely buy games on release.
    Roar wrote: »
    I paid 40 on the PS store - have to buy games digitally nowadays as my toddler has a thing for taking discs out of cases :/
    I prefer getting them digitally, handier to browse between games

Seems to be a very good port remake; as a Pro owner I always appreciate the option of a performance mode if possible.

• Advertisement

It is getting rave reviews today, masterpiece is the most common word being used to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I never played it as i hadnt a ps2 when it came out.pre-ordered it though as id always want to play it and it looks stunning..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xenji wrote: »
    It is getting rave reviews today, masterpiece is the most common word being used to describe it.

That was the word to describe it on the PS2, despite the framerate drops.
    Great use of scale in game, how small, vulnerable but ultimately powerful your character is once he is motivated by circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Xenji wrote: »

SotC is one of the greatest video games ever made and deserves all the plaudits it's getting from players and the gaming press.

I'll be completing my 7th or 8th play-through when this remake is released and I can't wait to get started again. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Never played this, is just take on a titan and then move onto the next or is there more to it than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Never played this, is just take on a titan and then move onto the next or is there more to it than that?

There's a story as to why you have to do this, but yeah, that's the general idea. But it's amazing in every way. The sense of scale, the fights, the look, the feel. It's just all nearly perfect!

Was trying to work out why I'd missed this when it was originally released and I see it was 2006. So I'd long moved on to an Xbox 360.

Have to say I'm really looking forward to it after the praise I've seen for it over the years. I loved Ico.

Is The Last Guardian worth a look? I've got the impression it had a mixed reception.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is The Last Guardian worth a look? I've got the impression it had a mixed reception.

It did get a mixed reception, and I’m sure you’ll hear a variety of responses. For my money: it’s one of the most extraordinarily beautiful, thoughtful and artful games in the history of the medium. It reminded me how much potential for artistic expression there is in the odd medium that is video games, and was thus worth every single one of those years of development hell :)

I struggled massively with the controls at the start, but really glad I stuck with The Last Guardian. A beautiful experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The Last Guardian was a defining moment in gaming for me, a reason to own a PS4. It's not for everyone though (Nothing really is!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads do any shops tend to sell games before the official release date?

They’re just taunting me now

Apparently some places have broken the street date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wanted to love it but on a standard PS4 the framerate was criminal and the character movement feels janky. Just wasn't having fun with it. Someday I'll to see it through but the first few hours just weren't fun for me.

For the price you can get it these days though its worth taking a chance on it. You might end up loving it.

Roar wrote: »
    They’re just taunting me now

Apparently some places have broken the street date.

Any idea which shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Last Guardian is the greatest game made of this generation, better then Zelda.

Still have the last boss to complete in SoTC so will purchase this when I'm ready.

I still listen to this score once a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Similar to Retr0, I couldn't get into TLG. I loved Ico and SotC, but there was something off about TLG for me. I'll pick it up again someday, as i'm thinking I just wasn't in the form for it at the time, as this has happened with a few games for me (Dishonored, Dragon Age: Origins, Deus Ex: HR).

Some people struggled with the idea that you had to struggle with Trico, while the developers maintained it was intentional, this is a wild animal apparently, and it has it's parallel in Argo in SotC, but the ropey control of Trico often could be easily mistaken for plain bad coding.
    I leaned towards the former rather than the latter, and loved the game with all my heart.
    It was chock full of so many moments, nearly everything was forgivable.
    The game has a strong PS2 whiff from it, in terms of character control and poor clipping, and this probably says more about the tortured development the title has had.
    Perhaps, like SotC before it, TLG will take another gen before they really get it right, assuming there are enough people who care by then.

At present though, it seems that SotC is getting a bigger push than TLG ever did, which is interesting.

Want to play TLG all over again now....

Might play them in order this time, Ico->SotC->TLG.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wanted to love it but on a standard PS4 the framerate was criminal and the character movement feels janky. Just wasn't having fun with it. Someday I'll to see it through but the first few hours just weren't fun for me.

For the price you can get it these days though its worth taking a chance on it. You might end up loving it.

Actually went to add it to my wish list earlier and noticed it was on sale for 14.99 until tomorrow and I had €15 in my wallet, I took it as a sign and bought it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Sparko

My Amazon copy dispatched this morning. Never played the original so I'm massively looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Amazon delivered mine into Parcel Motel this morning. Should have it tomorrow. :)

Same here, it should be therapeutic between Monster Hunter sessions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Monster Hunter: Kill monsters to make awesome armour.
    Shadow of the Collossus: Kill monsters to feel a deep sense of self-doubt and ethical conflict. Also you’re the monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Just bought it and damn does it look beautiful on my ps4 pro! loving it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I have it at home waiting for me. Never played the original or the remake as ICO bored me to tears and never played The Last Guardian because *if* that little cat dragon thing dies at the end I'd not be able to cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

fixxxer wrote: »
    I have it at home waiting for me. Never played the original or the remake as ICO bored me to tears and never played The Last Guardian because that little cat dragon thing dies at the end I'd not be able to cope.

Did you just spoil it for me and loads of other people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Nope, just left out a word, edited to make that clear. I've not played it nor researched its ending.

For anyone new to SOTC (like me), apparently theres endgame spoilers in the main menu image gallery. The images need to be unlocked but the descriptions for those requirements are spoilers

Four colossi in. Killing them never gets any easier.

Looks great sounds great. Controls a little clunky in spots, but then again this is a PS2 game at heart. Using the modern controls which I quite like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the digital version of this likely to drop in price anytime soon or should i just go ahead and get the disc?

Ico had me glued the whole way, right til the end, great use of contrasting light and shadow.
    SotC I started and stopped but it ended up being one of the games of the system.
    TLG just fecking marvellous really!

• Advertisement

Is the digital version of this likely to drop in price anytime soon or should i just go ahead and get the disc?

I spent full whack on the digital version of TLG at Christmas only to see it massively reduced almost straight afterwards - wouldn’t be surprised to see it on PS+ soon tbh.

If you can’t wait go for it- it’s practically a budget game and worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

He/she's speculating on how it will end, I doubt they've played it

Anyway wowsers this game is still intense to play
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLLCAQ3-Ss

They upped the wind resistance I think. Felt like I would get blown off if I wasn't careful.

Having just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and jumped straight into SotC on PS4 Pro I'm absolutely stunned by the incredible results Blue Point Games have achieved here. Both games are visual marvels imo, but I think SotC just edges it. Not only is this one of the best games I've ever played it's now one of the best looking. :D

What is this thing about collecting golden coins???
    Pretty sure it's new to this remake

I don’t think either SotC or TLG - or Ico, for that matter - are spoilable games. They’re so much about mood and the *experience* that any plot details could not possibly spoil what’s so special about them.

Anyway, SotC remake so far is an impressive technical accomplishment that captures much of the spirit and tone of the original game - not surprising, because it is a slavishly (thank god) loyal update. But definitely think something has been lost in translation. There was a very particular look and feel to the PS2 game - a dreamlike haze that meant the game, as a consequence of obvious technical limitation and more importantly astounding art direction, took on a strong impressionistic vibe. The world here feels much clearer, more alive - but in the process feels a lot less mysterious and isolated.

It’s still SotC in most respects, and Bluepoint are technical magicians who have taken on their biggest job yet with admirable, utterly loyal respect for the source material. If the concept of remaking one of the medium’s defining works is fundamentally flawed, this is nonetheless as assured and deeply faithful a take as can be imagined. But it’s a cover version - a really, really good one, but one that cannot catch up with the genuine article.

FYI - modern remapped seems like the best control scheme IMO as it combines old and New effectively. Triangle to jump ftw ;)

But definitely think something has been lost in translation. There was a very particular look and feel to the PS2 game - a dreamlike haze that meant the game, as a consequence of obvious technical limitation and more importantly astounding art direction, took on a strong impressionistic vibe. The world here feels much clearer, more alive - but in the process feels a lot less mysterious and isolated.

Have you tried any of the numerous filters that are availabe? There's one or two there that go some way to restoring the "dreamlike haze" of the original game.

Cover version is a great way to put it.

With regard to what people call a 'dreamlike haze' it's more a consequence of the PS2 tech and the way that the old game would colour in far off scenery. Far off objects appear flat and blurry, almost like a pre-rendered backdrop, until you get in close enough. Then it had extremely aggressive bloom lighting which made you almost blind in spots. Which isn't something that can really be carried over onto PS4 hardware without looking extremely stupid.

On the other hand the game is also missing Ueda's signature washed out sort of paper-mache aesthetic which The Last Guardian had as well. It's more close to something like The Witcher III or Crysis than it is TLG but some will like that and some won't.

Anyway it's a great effort. Probably up there in top three remakes with REmake though not quite number one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭TacoMan

Loving it so far, only got to the first colossus last night but going back for more tonight. Only complaint is the controls but I'm sure over time I'll get used to them.

I recommend lowering the sound effects and volume dialogue down by about a quarter, that means you can really enjoy the magnificent soundtrack. Also, I’m finding the Faded filter gives it a closer look to the PS2 version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement