Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for staying warm in winter with no heating

Options
  • 28-01-2018 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

While our landlord does provide heating for about 3-4 hours a day, our apartment is dead frozen cold for the rest of the time. My spouse and I have to sometimes work from home, and be inside for most of the day, but the cold is absolutely deadly, especially when you are sick. We tried using a plug-in electric heater for just a couple of hours here and there, but we just got our Electric Ireland bill and lol, that options flies off the table. Absolute back-breaking bill.

We have already tried everything else I can read online, like insulating the windows, thicker curtains etc, but that doesn't do all that much. Without heating, it's very hard surviving inside here.

I have heard that old flats in Dublin tend to be quite cold anyway. What do other people do in situations like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Tell your landlord to give you heating for longer than 4 hours a day.

That’s insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What way are you paying for the heating?
    Is it included in the rent or do you pay a Gas bill directly to the supplier yourself?
    Is there a time clock for the heating / hot water in your apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Tell your landlord to give you heating for longer than 4 hours a day.

That’s insane.

We live in Dublin. We'll be thrown out on the streets the moment we complain about anything. Landlords know how to navigate through anything. This is one of the select few apartments we can afford. Can't risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What way are you paying for the heating?
    Is it included in the rent or do you pay a Gas bill directly to the supplier yourself?
    Is there a time clock for the heating / hot water in your apartment?

It says that partial heating is included in the rent, but yes we also pay for the gas and electricity directly to Electric Ireland. There is a time clock for the hot water, but not the heating.

The_Brood wrote: »
    It says that partial heating is included in the rent, but yes we also pay for the gas and electricity directly to Electric Ireland. There is a time clock for the hot water, but not the heating.

If you are paying a Gas bill to the supplier for heating then you are entitled to control the heating as you wish.
    Where is the gas boiler, do you have access to it?
    Have you tried to discuss this with the landlord?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Most people pay for their own heat on top of their rent.

Buy a few hot water bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Wear wool or' high performance 'long johns and several thin layers of 'high performance' tops cycling and sporty types. Wool or 'HP' socks . Heavy wool jumper and wool hat and or balaclava/ wool scarf. A heavy gauge or lined pants. A thin pair of cycling gloves with the index finger touch device enabled.
    Eat alot of hot fatty foods.
    Super insulate one room in house with double layers of sheep or yak hides. Build a fire in this room.
    Try covering yourself in at least 2 inches of clay type mud mixed with straw and horse hair. Buy a lot of tin foil and wrap any delicate bits.
    Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

The_Brood wrote: »
    We live in Dublin. We'll be thrown out on the streets the moment we complain about anything. Landlords know how to navigate through anything. This is one of the select few apartments we can afford. Can't risk it.
    If it's really that ****ty then leave. Not just the apartment, Dublin. Ireland if necessary. What do you do for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

get a pair of insulated slippers North Face and otherwise you can get thermal layers cheap enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Can you explain a bit more how your LL “provides” heating?

We use what we need, then get a bill, then pay our ESB bill. Back when we used oil, we used the heating, then called the company to buy more oil.

How is your LL involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: moving this to Accommodation and Property, as you will get more pertinent advice there. Please note that their charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What's with the 4 hours? Do you live above a doctors surgery or something? Heat only on during surgery hours?

I think some people are totally missing the point with some if their suggestions..

Citizens Information / Renting / minimum physical standards
    Other requirements

All landlords must provide:
    [...]
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I think some people are totally missing the point with some if their suggestions..

Citizens Information / Renting / minimum physical standards

Yeh Im not surprised. It sounded very illegal not allowing tenant to use heating..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

lalababa wrote: »
    Wear wool or' high performance 'long johns and several thin layers of 'high performance' tops cycling and sporty types. Wool or 'HP' socks . Heavy wool jumper and wool hat and or balaclava/ wool scarf. A heavy gauge or lined pants. A thin pair of cycling gloves with the index finger touch device enabled.
    Eat alot of hot fatty foods.
    Super insulate one room in house with double layers of sheep or yak hides. Build a fire in this room.
    Try covering yourself in at least 2 inches of clay type mud mixed with straw and horse hair. Buy a lot of tin foil and wrap any delicate bits.
    Good luck OP.
    I had no heating of any kind in the bedroom when a student back in the 70s. One of my actions to keep as warm as possible- at least when starting off the day - was to put the clothes I plan to ware first thing in the morning between the blankets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

You poor thing. I lived in accommodation like that. Sometimes the room was as cold as 6 degrees during wintertime. You need to get out. Could you move to a cheaper accommodation outside of Dublin. Keeping this up is madness. I left too, it's unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RoundDaBend

I've had to do this for years on and off. It gnaws at your health. Multiple layering of clothing helps of course but its very important to keep moving. So exercise makes a lot of difference but this is only useful if you enjoy exercise. I also have a standard thermometer if inside goes below ten degrees celcius you need to put some other means of heating on. I once had a 2 cm layer of ice inside the window of my bedroom! Not in Dublin though. Move out asap OP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Leaving aside the obvious issue of the landlord failing their obligations (if it's a tenancy), small things like sealing around doors and windows with sticky-backed foam draught excluders can make an incredible difference. Sealed the bottom of our front door recently and we're getting up half as often to boost the heating for an hour. Worth doing even if you sort out the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Would you go to the local library for the day instead when you are working from home? I think they have WiFi now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We used to live in an apartment in an old Georgian red brick house and while we were no where as bad as the OP’s situation, it was challenging to keep it comfortable in the winter. We had storage heaters with boost, but even so the heat would just leak out. We learned to keep all doors shut, and we would take full advantage of the sunlight through the big windows to warm up the room, then close the shutters and curtains once the sun was gone. We focused on keeping one room comfortable and let the others be cooler. Draught excluders on all doors. A big thick duvet did the job in the bedroom.

OP - ultimately you are supposed to have control over your own heating. What your landlord is doing appears to be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you are effectively stuck there and are willing to work around the problem to find solutions I'll suggest the follow - first off. Heat the space you fill, not the room as a whole - buy a plug in heated throw blanket, these use about 30 watts max so the power of a lightbulb but they work very well when sat watching telly, and as an over-blanket in bed.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7199770/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATED+THROW.htm

You mention the electric bill what size is it? A quick heating "non oil-filled" electric rad works well

https://www.appliancesdelivered.ie/dimplex-electric-2000w-oil-free-column-heater-with-heat-output-ofrc20n/2348

Re clothes - as someone who works outside all year I can tell you that warm feet and a warm head/neck make all the difference! Winter socks designed for the outdoors and a light scarf are a help. Aldi have knee length wader socks right now. I bought a pair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You mention the electric bill what size is it? A quick heating "non oil-filled" electric rad works well

https://www.appliancesdelivered.ie/dimplex-electric-2000w-oil-free-column-heater-with-heat-output-ofrc20n/2348

An electric heater is an electric heater. They're all 100% efficient so there's no way to improve that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP, I assume you live in a Georgian type house that has been subdivided into numerous different one bedroom flats and that the landlord provides heating for the winter months (central timer) for a few hours a day that heats every flat? In a lot of these old houses the LLs pulled out the gas heating and replaced with storage heaters.

Have you been provided with a fixed electric heater as well? Any possibility that the LL could install a nightsaver metre and install an electric storage heater? Is there any other modern apartments in the area at a similar rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

We used to have a similar situation in our flat. It was an old Victorian house split into 5 units and the gas heating was timed during the day for the whole house. Outside of those times we had to use our own electric heating powered by a coin operated meter.

Like something out of the f*ckin stone age, can't believe some landlords are still getting away with this ****e.

As for how to keep warm, wool clothes all the way, thermal leggings etc. Or as my mother used to say, go out and run around the garden & you won't be long warming up... ;)

ED E wrote: »
    An electric heater is an electric heater. They're all 100% efficient so there's no way to improve that situation.

Heaters like this are quick and effective, but not a long term solution at 2kw / hr. if they have to be left on for several hrs a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Rather than work from home, could you work from your local library or a Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of your landlord/housing situation, so good thermals and if you need it a heated jacket, several tool companies do them and they usually use the same battery packs that power tools use.. I know an Italian girl who uses a "Milwaukee" one in the warehouse that she works in... If Ihttps://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-and-equipment/safety-and-protective-workwear/heated-gear can find a link I'll put it up later..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Correct me if i'm wrong but your LL provides you with 4 hrs heating per day and this is included in the rent? If this is the case is there a way that you can pay for more hours of heating or ask your LL to increase the amount of time the heating is on and you pay the difference on top of your rent. I don't see why any LL would object to this, if it's a case that you can't afford to heat it yourself then that's a different story but I don't see why the LL should be paying to heat your accommodation. If its a shared house and it is run Centrally then find somewhere else where you have control of your own heating move out of Dublin if necessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rather than work from home, could you work from your local library or a Starbucks
    More expensive to constantly buy coffee than run a heater.

Advertisement