Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for staying warm in winter with no heating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

As mentioned above a couple of hot water bottles. Also could you work from home but in your bed, an electric blanket doesn't cost a lot to run. Fingerless gloves and a hat and scarf when up and around will keep you warm.

When you start to get chillblains on your fingers and toes it's time to find somewhere warmer to live. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Is the issue here that you don't have access to the heating controls for your own appartment or that you can't afford to pay for the heating? If it's the former then you will have to come to some arrangement with the landlord where he increases the length of time it's switched on and you can pay the difference. Although given you have an account in your name I would assume that you do have access. If this is the case then you will just need to increase the length of time you have it switched on and then pay for what you use. This would be standard practice, you can't expect a landlord to pay for your utility bills outside of any existing arrangement you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The_Brood wrote: »
    Tell your landlord to give you heating for longer than 4 hours a day.

That’s insane.

We live in Dublin. We'll be thrown out on the streets the moment we complain about anything. Landlords know how to navigate through anything. This is one of the select few apartments we can afford. Can't risk it.

That’s rubbish. Landlords have no power ( unless you live with them )
    You have to be able to control your own heat ? How is the landlord controlling it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Looks like the landlord cut off the op wifi, bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Another typical slumlord profting from misery. You need to fight for your life here. Do not take this lying down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

lalababa wrote: »
    Wear wool or' high performance 'long johns and several thin layers of 'high performance' tops cycling and sporty types. Wool or 'HP' socks . Heavy wool jumper and wool hat and or balaclava/ wool scarf. A heavy gauge or lined pants. A thin pair of cycling gloves with the index finger touch device enabled.
    Eat alot of hot fatty foods.
    Super insulate one room in house with double layers of sheep or yak hides. Build a fire in this room.
    Try covering yourself in at least 2 inches of clay type mud mixed with straw and horse hair. Buy a lot of tin foil and wrap any delicate bits.
    Good luck OP.

Thats just too much hassle, you could buy one of these below for less than 10 EURO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIEW-OF-APOLLO-11-ASTRONAUT-NEIL-ARMSTRONGS-SPACE-SUIT-8X10-NASA-PHOTO-BB-040-/151783849379

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It says that partial heating is included in the rent, but yes we also pay for the gas and electricity directly to Electric Ireland. There is a time clock for the hot water, but not the heating.
    I'm confused on what gas you pay for, if not the 4 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Thank for the various advice, I was not expecting so much in terms of responses.

I am somewhat confused myself as to how it all works, but yes the contract says that "partial" heating is provided and included in the rent, but no we have no way to control it. We are weary not to complain or ask about much - it's not really about standing up for oneself, but we know through experience there are 100 other people ready to take our place if the landlord gets fed up with us...very risky to do anything in the housing situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thank for the various advice, I was not expecting so much in terms of responses.

I am somewhat confused myself as to how it all works, but yes the contract says that "partial" heating is provided and included in the rent, but no we have no way to control it. We are weary not to complain or ask about much - it's not really about standing up for oneself, but we know through experience there are 100 other people ready to take our place if the landlord gets fed up with us...very risky to do anything in the housing situation.

Is your rent very cheap compared to flats on daft?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is your rent very cheap compared to flats on daft?

Hah, "compared to" is the key word here. To be honest yes we felt very lucky to get the flat at the rent price as almost everything around us is 2-300 more expensive, but even so we are barely affording it - which is why we're feked hard if she decides we're not worth the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Another typical slumlord profting from misery. You need to fight for your life here. Do not take this lying down.

you come on every thread in this forum with the same crap. The majority of landlords are not bad people / treating anyone badly. Most of the small ones struggle to make money, the PRTB gave tenants all the rights. We haven't even clarified what the OP's scenario is here but you've just bolted out abusing the landlord as usual. Seriously what is the chip on your shoulder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hah, "compared to" is the key word here. To be honest yes we felt very lucky to get the flat at the rent price as almost everything around us is 2-300 more expensive, but even so we are barely affording it - which is why we're feked hard if she decides we're not worth the trouble.

So even if you got control of the heating could you afford to pay for extra heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If it was me I’d get out of that 3rd world kip and tell his majesty the landlord mind would he get a paper cut counting all the money.
    Get yourself into a modern well insulated place within budget where the landlord isn’t a boll1x.
    I wish you all the best you deserve better than them conditions.
    Next thing you will have mold and chest infection and I’ll health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If it was me I’d get out of that 3rd world kip and tell his majesty the landlord mind would he get a paper cut counting all the money.
    Get yourself into a modern well insulated place within budget where the landlord isn’t a boll1x.

Can you suggest a property? The OP has already said that this property is several hundred euro below average and at that they're struggling to pay the rent. Within budget is a pipe dream

Caranica wrote: »
    Can you suggest a property? The OP has already said that this property is several hundred euro below average and at that they're struggling to pay the rent. Within budget is a pipe dream

No can’t suggest a property as not from the area but I’d be fukd if I was expected to give big money to live in a frozen kip.id rather live under an umbrella than give the greedy landlord big money. I hope every penny of the rent money fattens the old pig.
    Op search the net ie daft.ie or local auctioneers for properties for rent within budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Could this be a case of mixed expectations? For example, if the OP is used to landlord/building provided block heating, as in some European countries, maybe the idea of paying for heating bills over and above what is supposedly included seems culturally weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Build or buy a cryptocurrency mining rig and run that 24/7. While your electricity bill will skyrocket, and there will be a bit of noise, you will at least be warm. Selling the coin you have mined should pay for the increased electricity usage and the capital cost of the miner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the OP has already stated that they tried electronic heating (which is perfectly acceptable under the Act)- but found it prohibitive pricewise- I honestly don't know what their options are. OP- you have limited heating included in the rent- and the option to provide additional heating outside of this- I'm not entirely sure what else you expect.

You say you have your own gas and electricity bill. How is the 4 hours a day of heating that is included in the rent- accounted for? Is it wholly separate- and you pay no separate bill for it?

I'm not entirely sure what the OP wants here- it sounds like they live in an old building with extremely poor heat insulation. Just because its nigh impossible to heat the place- does not mean its in breach of any regulations.

The limited information posted by the OP- raises more questions that anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The good news is that the majority of winter is now over, in 6 weeks maybe less the average daytime temp will be around 12 degrees.

Actually we have all that - mold and chest infection. The mold is the one thing we decided to give it a go and let the landlord know about - she just said to air the room or something....which was not the problem at all anyway, but a clear sign she doesn't want to be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mold is due to relative humidity which ironically is common in cold properties so a
    dehumidifier would be a good thing to have.

With two people working and a rent that is well below typical it feels odd you cannot heat the place to a safe level.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Actually we have all that - mold and chest infection. The mold is the one thing we decided to give it a go and let the landlord know about - she just said to air the room or something....which was not the problem at all anyway, but a clear sign she doesn't want to be bothered.

Mold is VERY dangerous. Get them to treat it now or GTFO out of there ASAP. A friend of mine moved into an apartment with it, and gradually got sicker and sicker until he was bedbound. When he moved out of the apartment, he got better.

I’d be getting out fcuk that place.look around and do plenty research.mold will fcuk you up health wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cocaliquid wrote: »
    There only one solution to this that does not cost money grow a pair.

not sure what your claiming.
    there is only two sides to this . OP cant afford to heat their home or chooses not to,
    nothing to sugest the landlord is in anyway wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I lived in a similar set-up. The landlord turned the heating on for set hours per day from October-March and nothing in between, even if it was cold, rainy or snowy outside of those times. We moved in the end because the damp and mould was destroying our items. The landlord's property was suffering as a result too. I had no idea that the landlord should allow the tenant to control the heating!

We used a small heater on a thermostat sometimes. It will turn on when the room dips below a certain temperature.

People shouldn’t have to live in these conditions.
    You would be healthier living in a ditch.at least you would have fresh air with no mold and money in your pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

not sure what your claiming.
    there is only two sides to this . OP cant afford to heat their home or chooses not to,
    nothing to sugest the landlord is in anyway wrong

Well, landlord is at fault for not dealing with the mold problem and not getting to the cause of the problem.

I use four hours of heat a day and work from home and apartment is nice and warm.

Mold is due to relative humidity which ironically is common in cold properties so a
    dehumidifier would be a good thing to have.

With two people working and a rent that is well below typical it feels odd you cannot heat the place to a safe level.

+1
    You need a decent dehumidifier- you also need to ensure you're not drying clothing into the apartment etc.
    Wholly aside from the temperature in the unit- mould thrives in moist environments- and the obvious answer to the mould- is to use a decent dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Well, landlord is at fault for not dealing with the mold problem and not getting to the cause of the problem.

I use four hours of heat a day and work from home and apartment is nice and warm.

how do we know that the mould isn't caused by the tenant. it usually would be. not enough heat or ventilation can be caused by the tenant

what can a landlord do to fix the problem

• Advertisement

Ditto- I have heat on for 4 hours a day- two in the morning and two in the evening- however, this is alongside a decent dehumidifier. Before I bought the dehumidifier- I had excessive condensation buildup inside windows, mould on some walls- and mystery chest infections- that simply wouldn't go. Now- despite being on immune suppressants- I haven't had a chest infection in over 2 years.

Advertisement