Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion - Rough Cost

Options
  • 28-01-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi There,

Can someone give me a rough idea of the cost of an attic conversion in a Dublin ex corpo house? Typical Crumlin/Drimnagh style house but with the triangular section at the front facade.

Like this house:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/crumlin/112-lismore-road-crumlin-dublin-1579951/

Not sure yet if we would just put some velux windows in or have a section of new roof coming out from the back for extra height.

Is 10 - 15k a good ballpark for this kind of job?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Budget 20k for a finished job.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

kceire wrote: »
    Budget 20k for a finished job.

20k too much. 12-15k.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    20k too much. 12-15k.

An expert over night https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105962626

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

boris1234 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Can someone give me a rough idea of the cost of an attic conversion in a Dublin ex corpo house? Typical Crumlin/Drimnagh style house but with the triangular section at the front facade.

Like this house:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/crumlin/112-lismore-road-crumlin-dublin-1579951/

Not sure yet if we would just put some velux windows in or have a section of new roof coming out from the back for extra height.

Thanks

Try and get a vision of the size of the finished product. Anyone in the area have this done? I was quoted 18k for one not so long ago but decided that headroom etc wasnt worth it.

I know someome who had it done recently and they can barely stand in it.

BryanF wrote: »

Attic conversions are a different thing to house extension. Having had one done myself in recent years and arranged one for family home, I have had dealings with this.

Also, a quick bit of research will tell you my figures are about right but whatever you sad man.

• Advertisement

Attic conversions are a different thing to house extension. Having had one done myself in recent years and arranged one for family home, I have had dealings with this.

Also, a quick bit of research will tell you my figures are about right but whatever you sad man.

If you’d like to PM me the building regulation compliance cert for your attic conversion, I’ll believe you.

If you’d like to PM me the building regulation compliance cert for your attic conversion, I’ll believe you.

You're actually a weird man. Original poster, ignore Bryan and just get a few quotes to do it. Once there isnt anything too funny in it you should get it for less than 15k i suspect.

You're actually a weird man. Original poster, ignore Bryan and just get a few quotes to do it. Once there isnt anything too funny in it you should get it for less than 15k i suspect.

It’s a pity you have to resort personnel insults.

The last attic conversion we saw picture of on this forum had 4 different building regulation non compliance’s including fire, structure, energy & ventilation. This is in line with type of poor quality project I’ve inspected/surveyed.

Fee free to Pm me if you’d like to discuss further.

As regards the personal abuse I suggest you read the forum charter

It’s a pity you have to resort personnel insults.

The last attic conversion we saw picture of on this forum had 4 different building regulation non compliance’s including fire, structure, energy & ventilation. This is in line with type of poor quality project I’ve inspected/surveyed.

Fee free to Pm me if you’d like to discuss further.

As regards the personal abuse I suggest you read the forum charter

No personal abuse, if you read above you will see you were the one to come in with a condescending tone first so don't be trying to climb onto your high horse quoting the charter to me.

Fully agree and aware of your points, I just think your guide price was high. Fine for him to allow for that amount but I think he should expect closer to 10k.

No personal abuse, if you read above you will see you were the one to come in with a condescending tone first so don't be trying to climb onto your high horse quoting the charter to me.

Fully agree and aware of your points, I just think your guide price was high. Fine for him to allow for that amount but I think he should expect closer to 10k.
    10k..
    just to confirm you have a cert of compliance with building regulations for your attic conversion ?

• Advertisement

20k for a fully certified compliant Attic extension which you can actually swing a cat in is a good price. 10k? Chances are corners have been cut.

For 18-20k id expect an ensuite.

Dev84 wrote: »
    20k for a fully certified compliant Attic extension which you can actually swing a cat in is a good price. 10k? Chances are corners have been cut.

For 18-20k id expect an ensuite.

I said closer to 10k than 20k. i.e. Around the 15k I would think. There was no mention of bathroom l which I assume would be 2/3k more? Ie. Back to 15k.

I said closer to 10k than 20k. i.e. Around the 15k I would think. There was no mention of bathroom l which I assume would be 2/3k more? Ie. Back to 15k.

Fair enough. More power to you if you can get it.

20k too much. 12-15k.

Dublin prices.
    Based on about 30 attic conversions I was on in 2017.
    Based on a sound, good quality job which will be compliant with building and planning regulations and certified on completion.

Show me an attic conversion for 12k and I guarantee you I’ll show you Building Regulation breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Thanks for the responses. No plans for a bathroom up there just another room.

I will get a few quotes and see how it goes.

Our next door neighbors have it done and they have the same style front facade (which I think gives some extra attic space), so must ask them if we could get a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Hi boris1234

Did you get any quotes in the end? I'm in a similar type house in Crumlin and am also considering converting the attic and wondering what kind of cost would be involved.

boris1234 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Like this house:

Thanks

RosieP wrote: »
    Hi boris1234

Did you get any quotes in the end? I'm in a similar type house in Crumlin and am also considering converting the attic and wondering what kind of cost would be involved.

Budget 15-20k again all structural works are done, finishes including fitting self closing devices to all other doors within the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

RosieP wrote: »
    Hi boris1234

We havent gone ahead with this yet. Will be another while before we do. Best of luck with yours

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

Thanks, I've been talking about possibly doing it for a couple of years, one of these days I'll actually get around to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Sorry to hijack but considering converting attic and would probably need a small dormer at side of house to facilitate stairs therefore into planning permission even though head height would rule out it being classed as anything bar storage. Has anyone done one recently along these lines and roughly what was the cost (I assume the €20k ballpark quote referred to by Kceire didn't include planning costs/dormer)?

Cheers

• Advertisement

robbe wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but considering converting attic and would probably need a small dormer at side of house to facilitate stairs therefore into planning permission even though head height would rule out it being classed as anything bar storage. Has anyone done one recently along these lines and roughly what was the cost (I assume the €20k ballpark quote referred to by Kceire didn't include planning costs/dormer)?

Cheers

No it didn’t I’m afraid.
    To allow for the former then add 5k just to give a rough idea.

Planning will be separate and cost will depend on who you engage to do it.
    You will also need structural design, inspection and certification.

Advertisement