Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phakic Intraocular Lenses - Experiences

• 28-01-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am interested in getting lens implants done in Mater Private but wanted to look for some recent feedback from others who got this procedure. (Unfortunately not a candidate for laser eye surgery as my stigmatism is quite bad in both eyes.)

The reason I want to get it done is that I love sports (specifically water sports) and unfortunately feel I'm being held back from doing things/experiencing things in full because I wear glasses/contact lens. (e.g. Scuba Diving, not ideal to be wearing contact lenses)

I have read most of the threads on her about Phakic lens and in general the feedback seems quite positive (though there is no feedback within the last 4 years from either the Mater Private/Wellington Clinic). Has anybody got it done or is in the same boat and is considering it?

Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I do a bit of kayaking and surfing and am looking at ortho-k lenses at a less invasive way of correcting myopia. I'm having a similar problems with finding any up to date recommendations.

Some of the concerns I would have about any surgery would be the post operative healing time when I wouldn't be able kayak or surf and any possibility of corneal flap displacement when I'm back in the water again.

Admittedly corneal flap displacement should be less of a risk scuba diving where you have the protection of a facemask compared to kayaking or surfing where the eyes would be in frequent direct contact with highly turbulent water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Forgive my ignorance here. I too am ineligible for laser surgery. What is this procedure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Phakic intraocular lenses and Ortho-k lenses are different solutions. Intraocular lenses are surgical implants, ortho-k are nonsurgical and could be considered the equivalent of braces for your eyes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phakic_intraocular_lens

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology

From what I can find, there seems to be no more than a handful of opticians who prescribe ortho-k lenses in the country though it seems to be more popular in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

Apologies for the delay, have you'd looked any further into this procedure?

I think I'm going to book a consultation in the Mater to double check if I'm still a candidate ( I went previously and they said yes about 5 years ago). From what I have read recovery time is 6-8 weeks, which is similar to a person I knew who got laser surgery! For kayaking you should be grand to do that as long as you wear goggles! That's what my friend did after laser...

Surfing possibly more of a risk of the goggles coming off...

My old optician also gave me a persons name who got it done so possibly will ask her (though it was a good while ago since I got the name)!

From the last time I went they said they do each eye a week apart in case there are issues, from what I read of the corneal flap displacement, it seems to be rare but easily corrected.

Advertisement