Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration at aircraft Dublin

Options
  • 28-01-2018 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Interesting event happened yesterday. Flying back from Germany the pilot informed us at the gate that customs were meeting us at the aircraft, they basically just asked basic questions to each person getting of the plane, was interesting. I also noticed they were marking off names from a passenger manifest. Any reason to why they met us at the aircraft ? We’re rhey looking for someone or do they do this from time to time, some people were frustrated they found it bizarre becouse it was a European flight

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah this happens from time to time alright. Could be either a tip off or random check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Customs will board and ask people for proof of identity etc.

Non Irish people are restricted from availing of the common travel area and must have their passports with them when crossing the Border.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Was it customs or immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My understanding is that if passengers are found at the door of the aircraft attempting to enter the country illegally, then they can't claim asylum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

smurfjed wrote: »
    My understanding is that if passengers are found at the door of the aircraft attempting to enter the country illegally, then they can't claim asylum.
    Oh that’s interesting !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

it was immigration

The flight attendant made a comment , in her 14 years of flying this had never happened lol

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Ask Lufthansa why Immigration were there!

Pretty normal to carry out these checks - doesn’t happen everyday but fairly routine and usually happens when there is a reason - ask Lufthansa why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The flight attendant made a comment , in her 14 years of flying this had never happened lol

Suppose Germany (and Europe) have changed somewhat, over the last 14 years.

How did you no it was Lufthansa I was flying with ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It's pretty obvious they had a tip off, for all we know it was a system checking the passenger manifest and figuring out that someone couldn't come into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How did you no it was Lufthansa I was flying with ?

They're the only ones who fly from Dublin to Germany at 5:15 in the morning, I think it's a case of adding 2+2.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They're the only ones who fly from Dublin to Germany at 5:15 in the morning, I think it's a case of adding 2+2.

OP was arriving back into Dublin from Germany!

LiamaDelta wrote: »

If you fly out you generally fly back with the same airline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Exact same happened to me in LHR back in Oct/Nov - Dublin to London flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

afatbollix wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious they had a tip off, for all we know it was a system checking the passenger manifest and figuring out that someone couldn't come into Ireland.

The fact that the other poster would appear to work for INIS might be the giveaway as to how they would know!!

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The fact that the other poster would appear to work for INIS might be the giveaway as to how they would know!!

Yes I got that bit. The Veteran is an always-reliable and discreet source of info...what he doesn't say often tells more than what he does!!

I was confused, nobody mentioned leaving Dublin at 5.15am so I was wondering how that could have 'given it away'.

I was confused, nobody mentioned leaving Dublin at 5.15am so I was wondering how that could have 'given it away'.

Other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Other thread.

It might be an idea to post a link to it?
    I don’t know which one you’re referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105935671

• Advertisement

Take a look yourself (very easily found in users posting history), it's not entirely relevant anyway.

Advertisement